Make yourself happy

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)
  1. tutemaven profile image61
    tutemavenposted 14 years ago

Happyness heals

Recently I found myself facing a hard dull task for which I had no enthusiasm. During one of my distracted periods and while I was procrastinating and avoiding the task, I happened to be staring out a window at the falling snow and I remembered sledding with the neighborhood kids in this kind of weather. I remembered a particular event that I used to do on many occations and what it felt like.
    The thrill of the fast ride down the hill was so overwhelmingly thrilling that the thought of pulling the sled back up the hill was never any concern at all. I never heard any of my friends complain about it either. Of course it was no problem to do it over and over, all day.
    The memory was so strong I closed my eyes and pictured myself sliding down the hill, inches from the snow and ice, bouncing and scraping. My memory was so good, or I had done it so much I really felt like I was reliving it.

Then I realized that’s what feeling old was all about. There were very few thrills anymore. What little thrill there is cannot overcome all the dull drudgery. My life was consumed with avoiding this little pain, or that drudgery, and there was little fun anymore. As I thought more about my memories I couldn’t help but smile to myself, and I felt happier. I turned away from my musings and finished that unpleasant task, and this article in the next half hour.

This little technique goes in my toolbox from now on. Goodbye depression, goodbye writers block.
    Don’t get me wrong, it’s more complicated than just remembering the past, you have to think about happy memories in detail, and not just remember them. You have to recreate them in your mind as thoroughly as if you had just experienced them. You must think about something hard enough to remember every minute detail then relive it and enjoy it again, until you smile. That’s the key. That’s when I think you’re producing endorphins.

File this one under – Make your self feel good. Or, Just what the heck do you think your memories are for anyway?

OK Here’s the procedure; I have done this several times with great success.
    First think of a happy memory, truly happy not just pleasant. Perhaps from a time when you didn’t have a care in the world.
    Then remember all the details, take some time with this, it’s important because the details add to your ability to re-experience of the memory.
    Close your eyes, picture the memory, relive it. Who was with you, what did they say or do.
    Then do it again, and again.
    If you find yourself smiling, you’ve done it. Think about it some more, enjoy it for a while.

There is a cumulative effect to this, the more you can do this the stronger the effect and the longer it lasts. This is not simple nostalgia, but more like hypnotic regression therapy without the hypnosis. Or the fees.

2. Jan V profile image57
    Jan Vposted 14 years ago

Enjoyed your article.  Good ideas on staying focused on the positive.  You mentioned aging.  I heard a GREAT quote the other day.  60 is the new 40.  I LOVE that.  So in my mind I'm 39 and am 20 years younger than my calender years.  I look forward to reading more of your posts.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Point 1 - you should make this a Hub.

Point 2 - rather than relying on memories to make you happy, couldn't you do something in your current life to cheer yourself up? 

I dance.  I can't tell you the number of times that I've thought
    "I'm getting too old to go to dance class" - but if I make myself go, I come out at the end wreathed in smiles.  There must be something you could get out and do that would have the same effect.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Points 1 and 2.  A Hub would be good. 

I do small things to brighten my mood - make sure there's fresh air coming in the windows, have fresh flowers (or at least some pretty dried ones) on the table, melt potpourri tarts and scent the house, listen to music, make a great pot of coffee or cup of tea (or go out for one, either alone or with someone), have the right lighting (or sunlight), etc.  The small-but-nice things add up.  (The other day a friend washed his hands in my kitchen sink, and he used a particularly fresh smelling hand soap I have there.  He said, "I really like the smell of that.  It's funny how some smells kind of give you a boost."  smile  Something as minor as that can make people feel just a teensy bit "boosted".   smile

2. Anti-Valentine profile image74
      Anti-Valentineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. I don't think some people actually know the difference between a forum post and a hub, it seems. It's actually quite common.

4. profile image0
    bluetiger1520posted 14 years ago

love your article and remember if you don't love yourself don't expect anyone to do it for you.

1. Jewels2940 profile image60
      Jewels2940posted 14 years agoin reply to this

DITTO!!

5. awsydney profile image59
    awsydneyposted 14 years ago

The process of remembering happy times is very powerful especially when you do it over and over again.

I think this is the same principle that life gurus like Tony Robbins teach people to visualise success over and over until the totally let go of all their fears and feel they can achieve anything that they set out to do.

I have both happy and not so happy childhood memories. Somehow, I remember both vividly. I guess it also helps to be detail and have a very vivid imagination. I have been fortunate enough to have played the piano from a very young age. My connection to my "happy" childhood times are the pieces that I used to play when I was 5 or 6 although I play them a little differently now. You are right that it always brings a smile (sometimes a tear or two) and sometimes it just takes me back to where I was before. I guess my experience is very different because I cannot separate both feelings when I play, I just get into a dreamy world that can suddenly becomes very clear or blurry all at the same time. On balance, it is extremely invigorating and therapeutic. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

6. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

I heard this very same message off some guy selling something on TV Hmmmm...thought it sounded familiar ,because I actually tried it...
    Be careful this is not someone elses idea before you write it as your idea.

1. Anti-Valentine profile image74
      Anti-Valentineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't be surprised. smile

7. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

For me, if I'm not happy it kind of makes it worse to think of times when I've been happy - kind of like rubbing it in that I'm not happy at the moment.  lol  I like to think of the happy times when I'm happy or neutral but think of my immediate need to brighten my day when I'm not happy.

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

hmmm, relying on happy memories to cause happiness in the present seems rather sad. memories are nice when they pop into your conscious and give you a smile or perk your mood, but I agree that you have to get out and make new memories, enjoy the simple things, dance, draw,exercise daily, go out and make a friend, do something for someone else. happy people are generally very active or content with their creative pursuits and activities, taking time to get out of their inner world and be with others. big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)