Your thoughts about these 'Death' questions, please.

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)
  1. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 6 years ago

I was approached by a local student attempting to gather people's opinions/thoughts about 'Death'. I happily shared my thoughts and was surprised to hear she's having trouble gathering enough data for her major work. There's been a few significant deaths recently within our local community so I guess her timing is the problem, but she's worried about her deadline. So I figure there may be a few kind-hearted folk here on HP willing to participate and help her out.

She's intending to 'quote' some of what we say, but will not be using names. (If you don't want to publish your comment here, you could send me an email and I'll pass it on to her. Thanks.)

Here's the general idea of what she's looking for ... (No need to answer everything but I found it quite an interesting process and had lots to say.)

- Your age bracket (don't have to be too specific) and gender.
    - When your time comes, would you prefer 'warning' so there's time to do things ... or would you prefer your death to be quick and unexpected. Why?
    - Are you wanting to be buried ... or cremated? Why?
    - What kind of death issues have you discussed with your family? (Why or why not discuss death with them?)
    - Would you rather die alone ... or surrounded by family. Why?
    - Have your thoughts on Death changed over the years? How?
    - Are there any specific events that cause you to think about your own death?
    - What are the three key things you hope to leave behind when you die? (Bit of an explanation.)
    - What kind of things do you have on your 'bucket list'?

She asked a few other questions but I can't find the actual question list we discussed. Any thoughts inspired by the above list will undoubtedly be helpful. I do know she's particularly interested in age bracket of everyone who comments though. To help her look for similarities or differences, I guess.

I don't think I'm allowed to give my email address here, but it is available via my profile. Thanks again.
    LTM.

1. ChristinS profile image38
      ChristinSposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Your age bracket (don't have to be too specific) and gender.  Mid 40's female

- When your time comes, would you prefer 'warning' so there's time to do things ... or would you prefer your death to be quick and unexpected. Why? 

For me personally, I'd like a bit of warning perhaps just because I want to get things in order, but for the sake of my family no.  I've witnessed a lot of suffering through cancer etc. and for me I wouldn't want my kids to have to deal with the emotional trauma of watching a slow death. If I lived in a Euthanasia state, it might be different. 

I want to be cremated and have mine and my husbands cremains mixed and split among our kids.  We often joke we want to be used as Halloween props in the future.  Halloween is my birthday and we have always had a big celebration because we all love the holiday (and have a dark, strange sense of humor) I think it would be a great way to honor me lol - but I understand if my family opts for traditional cremation and scattering me to the winds - what will I care right?

- What kind of death issues have you discussed with your family? (Why or why not discuss death with them?)
      I have been very adamant with my family that I do not ever want to be in a vegetative state and to unplug the machines if something like that should ever happen. 

I tend to be a private person.  I'd want to say goodbye probably, but then be left alone honestly.

Not really.  I've been surrounded by death since I was a child and I think that it doesn't frighten me as bad as it does many.  I do worry about not suffering through the process, but I had an NDE at one point and it was peaceful and now I'm not really afraid.  I'm more concerned with living as fully as I can more than obsessing about my exit.

I try to focus more on loving my family and living in a way that I don't have regrets.

- What are the three key things you hope to leave behind when you die? (Bit of an explanation.)
      Wisdom - I am focused on growing as a person, being open to growth and change and I encourage that in my boys too.  We spend time having conversations about what it means to be human and are all pretty philosophical at times.

Love.  I hope people will remember me and feel love for me and know that I loved them.

Humor.  I laugh at everything and have a weird, dark sense of humor that my husband thankfully appreciates.  I hope that our weird humor makes a lasting impression on people and that when I did they can say - man she was strange, but she sure did make me laugh!

I have a ton of things on there from the serious to the totally ridiculous - life is absurd, so is my list.

2. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image95
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 6 years ago

have her look up the group "Crowdsourcing Central" on Facebook, it's really helpful smile I will try to answer before the day is out!

3. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image95
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 6 years ago

I didn't find your email address but feel free to share this with her:

- Your age bracket (don't have to be too specific) and gender.

Late 20’s, female.

I would like some warning because I have small children and would want to get all of the legalities in order. If it were later on, when my kids were grown, I’d rather have things sudden so they don’t have to deal with the heavy emotion of illness.

Cremated because it’s more streamlined.

I’ve discussed what I would want to happen with my kids but I don’t talk about or think about it much because I’m pretty young.

I don’t know on this one. It’s kind of hard to think about because I have little kids and that’s just a terrible thought.

I used to fear it more than I do now. I guess I just have less anxiety about the future, but of course I also take it more seriously because I’m a mom now.

Maybe just in passing. I don’t think about it often because it makes me sad and I don’t have time to go there because my kids are watching me and need a mom who sets an example of strength and bounce.

1. Money for my kids
    2. Physical memories for my kids - photos, cards, notes, etc.
    3. An uncluttered life. Although I want to leave memories for my kids, I also don’t want them to have a lot of “stuff”, whether physical or emotional or legal to wade through.

To see my kids through to their own adulthood and to have built up a life that helps me to provide for them even after I’m gone.
    Also, to take my kids to Legoland.

4. LongTimeMother profile image92

I suspect you’re both destined to be quoted ... and I doubt anyone else would suggest being used as a Halloween prop, lol. Thanks for participating. smile

5. LongTimeMother profile image92

Giving this another prod in case there’s fresh thoughts from anyone. Saw the student today ... nearing the project’s deadline.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)