Earning money on HubPages

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Susie Jane profile image60
    Susie Janeposted 5 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/14030581.jpg
    I have written under the guise of different pseudonyms on HubPages since 2010. I never earned more than $5. Can you earn money on this site from writing fiction or is this site more a 'self-help' 'how to' blog that needs 'polls, pictures and links etc?'

1. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi Susie,

While we do allow creative writing and poetry, most earnings come from visitors from search engines like Google. Unfortunately, not many users are looking for creative writing via search. Informative articles that are useful to readers tend to earn more.

2. robhampton profile image93
      robhamptonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What I've learned is that most people are "cheap", including me lol! So it seems that "how to" type of articles do pretty well since people like to save money doing something themselves. It's been very lucrative for me.

3. Larry Fish profile image66
      Larry Fishposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Susie, I am like you, I write a lot of fiction. I joined this site last September and I haven't made enough to keep a bird alive. I would like to get my fiction stories recognized, but so far I only have a few regulars. I would gladly hear any suggestion that anyone might have.

2. Susie Jane profile image60
    Susie Janeposted 5 years ago

Thank you Christy for such a prompt reply. I thought as much.

1. JaiAsahi23 profile image67
      JaiAsahi23posted 5 years agoin reply to this

hi susie, I was just wondering if you give me some tips on how to earn on hubpage

3. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image93
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 5 years ago

You can't really make money writing fiction here but you can make money. I make enough to pay our mortgage, plus a little more from writing here. I LOVE to write fiction and it's my true happy place but I just know that trying to do it here would be really discouraging. The two things I've found that work best for making money here are to not treat HubPages like a blog (since it's not a good platform for writing post "series" or collecting an audience that would follow you in the traditional sense) and to write what you know.

The last one might seem contrite but you know something that someone else doesn't and you can help them learn more about it! If you want to try making more money here maybe write a list of all of the things you're well versed in, whether it's a career field, a hobby or a personal situation and then come up with article topics surrounding those things.

For example, I'm in college for communications/business, I have two daughters, I have a weird, random condition called hyperemesis gravidarum and I have mild social anxiety. On the surface this all seems not that interesting but it gives me SO MUCH to write about and there are a lot of other people who want to know more about these things because they're things that affect them too.

Keep at it and try a new approach and I bet you'll find yourself pleasantly surprised at just how lucrative HubPages can be smile

Also, this is a great community so keep asking questions - the forums have helped me learn a lot over the years for how to get traffic, make the best use of what I know and earn some money while I'm at it!

hi,, I was just asking how y'all get paid by writing in here. smile Im kinda new to here so I have no one to ask help on how things work here

1. theraggededge profile image96
        theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi there,

It all seems a bit overwhelming at first, but have a read through the FAQ https://hubpages.com/faq/ and explore the Learning Center: https://hubpageshelp.com/

Come back with any other questions you have.

Then it's all about the writing smile

2. Natalie Frank profile image92
        Natalie Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Welcome!  I know everyone wants to start earning quickly and earn a lot - that's natural. Unfortunately, there is no easy answer to your question and the only one that matters is that it takes work.  While there are some people who start getting a payout relatively quickly and some who earn a lot regularly from what I can see neither of these scenarios is the norm.  Most people take some time to start earning here and then take a good deal more time before they are earning a decent amount regularly.  You just have to put out well written articles and once you have a number of them up and featured you will see the earnings start to accumulate. 

I echo what was said about the HP community.  The writers, editors and staff are really there for each other and there is an enormous amount of talent and knowledge here.  Check out the forums regularly and you'll find information on which earnings program to choose, applying for Adsense,  marketing yourself and your work, specific strategies to increase traffic, how to use new technology, which social media platforms increase views and general strategies for increasing traffic and earnings.  The community is also great in terms of support and encouragement so that you can maintain your momentum and excitement about writing. 

I know this is probably not what you would like to hear and while it may all seem a bit much at the beginning (I joined but didn't actually write my first article for over a year) but if you take it step by step before long you'll find you're a member of a great group of people, have several featured articles and are on your way to making your first payout.

Most of all, keep coming back and asking questions.  It's the best way to learn.  Good luck with your writing!

Thank you very much , I feel like Im not alone smile in this

1. Natalie Frank profile image92
            Natalie Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yep - we're all in it together.  My main problem is that my fiction is published under a pseudonym so the fiction I have on here won't come up if someone were to search under my publishing name and that won't come up if they use my real name from here. Consider submitting to contests and anthologies to start getting your name out there and don't forget about social media.  There are also listing sites where you can promote yourself.

4. profile image0
    Ivan Hernandezposted 5 years ago

hello. if you want to start earning money, write some articles that you are well-versed in. I Started collecting money last year, and it has been fun. but for days, I haven't earned money. that is a problem. I'll show you a graph once I get on a computer.

5. profile image0
    Ivan Hernandezposted 5 years ago

There really is no requirement for articles. Some can be short as 700 words. Others can be as long as 10,000+ words. It all depends on the subject.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)