Do We Have The Right To Attack Another Just Because We Can?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Sharlee01 profile image81
    Sharlee01posted 5 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/14091724.jpg
    Is this form of rhetoric acceptable?  Does it cross the line of fairness, decency? Does anyone have the right to slander another, just because they can without any form of provocation?

1. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It's called group Identity politics , the only politics liberals are capable of .    Any and every  group of people can have their victimhood exploited by the left  for political cause , depending on contributions , women , children ,minorities , cultures or races ,   individuals however ?

Forget about it !
      https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/14091754.jpg

Please somebody prove me wrong .

2. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I've seen worse from either side of the ideological spectrum. In this struggle, there are no holds barred.

1. profile image0

You can't admit that the liberals today are MORE crass in their party criticism , then you are blind to reality .
        It's that simple.

1. Credence2 profile image78

NO, I can't admit it, the kind of stuff I had to listen to and see from rightwingers during Obama's term curdled my stomach. So, as long as there is not violence or extra-legal activity, the Right is going to have expect this kind of blowback and there is more coming......

Under those circumstances, my perception is quite accurate, thank you

1. profile image0

Like I said .

Yeah, so? It is not like you are some sort of all knowing oracle or authority on these matters, Ahorseback, where YOUR OPINION instantly becomes fact?

Now that is the reality, and you will see more of that reality during the midterm season.

1. profile image0

Right ......  like I said , It's worse from the left and you and I know that even though only I admit it .

Call it "selective deduction " to go along with your  usual "selective outrage" .

Call it "selective deduction " to go along with your  usual "selective outrage" .

That's OK, Horse, I call it bulls@it.

1. profile image0

Well there you go Credence , it  fits your usual..

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

It has become the way of the internet; attack with lies, spun rhetoric and half stories whatever you don't like.  The goal is to convince a reader of something quite false or to simply raise emotions without need for fact or truth rather than provide information for a reader to make decisions and conclusions on their own.  It is becoming increasingly difficult to find truth and the "rest of the story"; a real shame given the potential of the internet.

Before the internet, this was done through print media and "talk radio" . The true objectivity you speak of, Wilderness, does not exist anywhere. We all need to be discerning readers to properly sort the wheat from the chaff.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

True, although it is my gut feeling that it has become really ubiquitous today, with millions of people using the web to continue the practice instead of a few pundits on an editorial page or talk show.

I'll point out, too, that with so much of our information coming from the web, the part played by Google is becoming increasingly important.  When our searches result in only what Google wants us to see, or in only what Google thinks we have searched for before (liberal vs conservative, for instance) the problem grows many fold.  It is incredibly easy for search engines (google or not) to skew results so far that we never WILL find truth or the "rest of the story".

True, the danger of a monopolization or manipulation of news has always been there. I will access news media from around the world if I am so inclined when looking into something. A free press and open internet must always be the standard and it is up,to me to find the " balanced view" of a topic, amongst all of the "stuff" out there.

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The point is that you cannot know that Google (or your ISP) will allow you to see what they don't want you to. 

Yes, an open internet (unlike many countries) is necessary.  But when one company (google) with ties of iron to government is controlling your searches, how can you know you have that?

Not trying to say there is a conspiracy, just that the possibility of one is very, very real in the 'net as we know it now.  There is, after all, zero doubt that google manipulates your searches or that it has, in the past, manipulated search results to reduce traffic to some sites.  HP is a prime example.

2. profile image0

I still blame this on the alt liberals , it is worse since the whole Trump campaign started , the utter cruelty of the alt-left media as stated above towards Trump women and  children is like none ever before .
      There were only fringe right similarities during Obama / Clinton years.
      I actually am glad though because it points to the absolute love of hypocrisy of Hollywood , the  media , the left  .

3. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 5 years ago

Hate speech is only acceptable to democrats when they do it. No one else can. They want it banned for everyone but themselves.

An example comes from recent comments by Jane Fonda's brother, Peter. It's difficult to even speak their names, but we have such a good example of the double-standard from such people that it can't be passed up.

So what if he sort of apologized. He's got a new movie coming out and those who challenged him about his evil words against the president's child and wife were motivation to try to salvage what it would cost him not to say he went "way" too far. 

So, we should be asking maybe as loudly as the mobs and celebrities are shouting, how far would have been safe for him to say such things about that child and mother? Why aren't his words considered inflammatory to the unstable, creating danger for the first family? Why hasn't he been arrested?

Sadly, Americans of all sorts will still give their money to this monster and others like him so they can see his/their movies. After all, he apologized. Sort of.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

And those on the right will still believe the non-journalists on right wing talk and TV shows.

Sharlee01posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Not sure how  " right wing talk and TV shows." have anything to do with what Peter Fonda tweeted about the president's wife and child?  Is this comment in regards to a  disgusting a vile tweet Peter made? As well as an opinion on how the liberal mind works. 'RTalloni' has a very valid point,  and he used a factual current example of an incident where a liberal fool felt he had the right to make a very derogatory vile statement n Twitter directed at the first family. His opinion was clearly developed using facts, built on substance.

Peter Fonda's tweet was clear, there could be no mistake in what he meant to convey.      No need for a  talk show host to explain the tweet.  It was very clear...    Do you ever comment on the subject? You just post a sentence or two that has no relevance to the subject.  You just stick to the same couple lines, attempting to infer the person posting the comment "watches Hannity or that their opinion was derived from a "right - wing " talk show host?  Perhaps it's time for you to realize you just might need a new line or two?

2. profile image0

I saw that about Peter Fonda , My first thought was of Roseanne Barr ,  funny how if its FROM the left it is all just okay .  From the right  ?Different story  , this whole selective outrage seems like just a black hole in the entire sense of morality of the left.
      Don't ask them to explain though , it's consistently downplayed .

1. profile image0
        RTalloniposted 5 years agoin reply to this

No problem with me to see her go.

3. Sharlee01 profile image81

His words were considered inflammatory to the stable of mind, as well as the unstable... And his words are dangerous to the first family. As well as the public at large. His words spur hate, and all it takes is one unstable person to take it upon themselves to act out an atrocity on the innocent.  Why hasn't he been arrested? Hopefully, he will be. The first lady took his words as a threat and reported it to the secret service.

The left liberals that respect this kind of verbal vile minded attacks are looked down on.  They are quickly becoming the minority. Many lefties are waking up due to their innate common sense and being pulled back from the lefts dark abyss. I mean who wants to look like a fool over and over?   Those that approve of this form of hateful rhetoric have little intelligence, follow a herd mentality. They're unable to assimilate facts, and fuel up on pure innuendo.  They are a pitiful bunch that has no real relevance.

1. profile image0
        RTalloniposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well, I found Fonda's words offensive at best, but they did not inflame me. Truthfully, I wasn't all that surprised, though I was sickened. Unstable minds are indeed easily inflamed, making them dangerous, and I'm glad it was reported to the secret service. Because of who he is I imagine his apology will be accepted by most people. It would be impossible to arrest the many who are like him, anyway. 

You are correct, countless people on the left find this sort of thing from either side as offensive as I do. Stereotyping people is always a mistake. Saying that all conservatives are alike is as pitiful and unhelpful  as saying all liberals are alike. Sadly, news media's ideology requires them to promote ignorant stereotyping along with derision of and even threats to any who will not bow to their agenda.

A thought to keep in mind is that just because a person or group of people call themselves liberal or conservative does not mean they understand the label. It could also mean they are just using the label to promote their own agenda (because if truth were known about their main goals they wouldn't get far with whatever is motivating them).  And sometimes, they simply claim one of the labels for lack of a better choice (for the sake of political expediency).

4. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 5 years ago

Political cartoons are such, it Is ridiculous to think that that rises to the level of an assault on the First Family. So now we cannot speak ill of Lord Trump? Is censorship by the Petulant One of those who dare to dissent in the offing? Why am I to put him on the pedestal that he and his henchmen have so easily denied anyone else? You rightwing types could have credibility if your outrage were universal in protection to more than just THIS First Family but we all know that this is pure political theatre a la rightwing and therefore is quite irrelevant to me.

Let's bottle the acid people, it is just a cartoon, no one has been threatened.....

There is no outrage?  There is disgust. The majority of society would see this kind of sick comment, disgusting and uncalled for. Not sure when a part of society got the idea they could insult anyone just because they can.  Barron Trump is a child, a child that has not in any respect done anything to deserve such a vile statement. It's clear you have no problem with this abnormal treatment of a mere child?  In my opinion, that leads me to believe you are not worth conversing with.   The sooner we stop giving people like you a forum the better. This is not free speech, it's hate speech of the worse kind. Wonder if you have children? I would hope not.

oK, Sherilee, my point is that you and other conservatives only see the "offense" against your guy, but otherwise ignore it when it is used on the opposing team. I don't like double standards. Take a look and see that this "cartoon" is relatively harmless against the real threats and insult suffered by many former first families in the past.  You're partisan, what was it that was cruelty said in regard to Jimmy Carter daughter. Besides Ivanka is an adult compared with Carter's daughter who was a minor at the time.

So, you have a problem with left wing,black people speaking in general, I am sorry. But, I have my duty to perform and I have a lot more to say....
        -----------------------------

Fox News disabled the comments section of an article by the Associated Press about President Barack Obama's 17-year-old daughter, Malia Obama, after readers flooded the post with racist comments, calling her a racial slur, an "ape," a "monkey" and accusing her of not deserving her entry to the university but getting it thanks to "Black privilege."

The brief AP article reveals the president's daughter's decision to attend Harvard University, like her father, in 2017 after taking a year off from school.

Cruel, racist comments, which were screenshotted prior to being removed, immediately followed. Addictinginfo.org posted some shots several hours after the original article was published:

"I wonder if she applied as a muDslime..or a foreign student..or just a Ni@@er."

"Hopefully she gets cancer/aids or one of those colored diseases."

"Another academically challenged affirmative-action parasite steals a place from a qualified White or Asian student."

Related Story: Michelle Obama: My Critics Don't Define Me

Users also attacked other members of the Obama family, including First Lady Michelle Obama, who has been the subject of many crude comments in the past.

"I'm sure she's being fed a stem of celery with two grain muffins for lunch as accorded by her man-thing mother, Sasquatch."

"Probably staying out for a year so she can help her parents carry out the furniture and dinnerware when they leave the White House," one user wrote, to which another responded, "Typical."

A satirical op-ed that appeared in the Chicago Tribune, "Malia Obama's suspicious gap year," poked fun at the conservatives who are slamming the young woman for taking a year off between high school and college and are saying she didn't earn her spot at the prestigious university:

"It's a well-established fact that Malia is the first child of a president to ever get into Harvard, a clear-cut sign that the fix is in. (The news site Vox did report that, according to the book "America's Royalty," 22 presidential children have attended Harvard, but c'mon, are you going to trust liberal facts?)," the article reads.

But the joke went over the heads of some commenters, who attacked the president's daughter once again:

"Malia will have her Harvard transcripts buried, just like Chewbacca and the WH Muslim. As for the gap year, my guess is she will get some heavy tutoring to try to match up at Harvard. If she looks like she won't cut it, Malia goes somewhere outside the US to hide her further. Gap year, sure. By the way, ever hear either daughter ever talk? Can they?" one user wrote.

"Doesn't have the grades, can't do the work, needs extensive tutoring to have a chance at ANY college, unless Affirmative Action and sealing her transcripts can be arranged (very likely!) Phony Birth Certificate, sealed transcripts from Harvard AND Columbia, 'gap year', see a pattern?" questioned another.

This is not the first time the conservative media has attacked Malia Obama. Three years ago, when she was just 14, Fox News host Andrea Tantaros called into question the young woman's sex life after Obama stated he supported providing Plan B to girls as young as 15.

"Are they gonna put her on birth control?" Tantaros questioned. "Because he's very concerned with contraceptives and pharmaceuticals that are going in the mouths of everybody else's 15-year-old daughter."

The Obama family is not the first family in the White House to face harsh words from the public (with Rush Limbaugh previously calling Chelsea Clinton a dog when she was just 12 years old and describing Amy Carter as "the most unattractive presidential daughter in the history of this country"). However, the Obamas have faced an unprecedented slew of racism thrown their way in addition to simply a mean-spirited media.

After Thanksgiving in 2014, Elizabeth Lauten, a former communications director for State Rep. Stephen Lee Fincher (Tenn.), bashed Malia Obama and younger sister Sasha Obama, who were 16 and 13 at the time, for their outfits and facial expressions at the annual turkey pardoning.

"Try showing a little class," Lauten wrote. "Rise to the occasion. Dress like you deserve respect, not a spot at the bar."

The family has also been compared — negatively — to White House families before them. Mad World News posted an article about the girls around Thanksgiving 2014 as well.

"I don't think you would have ever seen the Bush daughters in dresses that short," the article wrote. "Class is completely absent from this White House."

Malia Obama has faced backlash from the media since her father first took office. At just 11 years old, she was called "a typical street whore" and "ghetto street trash" after wearing a shirt with a peace sign on it.

But, but.....that's different, Cred!   They'll soon be some commenters along to tell you so....

Randy, I just want to get her to admit that if "this example" (Ivanka Trump) political cartoon is bad can not the same principle be applied when it comes from their side? That, in itself was obviously too much to ask. I think that MINOR children as part of the First Family should not be subject to these sorts of attacks out of fairness. But, as the narrative indicates, that did not stop it from being used in the past. I am furious when these 'groups' show such outrage now when the current President literally broke his back leading and promoting "The Great Birther Lie" against Barack Obama. So where was the "outrage" then?

I have just had it with right wingers and their double standards. I try, I really do, to understand....

I feel the same, Cred. I remember the cruelty from the right towards children and spouses of the first family of every Democratic POTUS in recent history. I don't like it from either side, but like you, I see the hypocrisy from Spanky's voters. 

For some unknown reason they think the cretin's family should be somehow different, almost sacrilegious in nature. Too bad for them!  lol

5. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

There's been enough vile , irresponsible , continuous and dangerous hatred  from the left in the last years  as to break ANY records of past political  hate  , The left in America has topped their own records of hatred of America in the nineteen sixties by ten times.
    Why?

Sad part is ---They have diminished their political power by ten , they have diminished their two partycooperation and communication by ten , they have lost and not gained growth .  They have left the entire DNC be hijacked by the alt-- left  to the point of self destruction .
    Why?

The worst part is that by incestuous activities they have compromised the entire news media  by ignorance , sensationalism , profiteering and proliferation of hate by  a hundred times !   America at the first point in history effectively has a news media with no integrity , no honesty and no honor.
    Why?

BECAUSE of the self destructive ideology of pseudo-socialism ,  the Alinskyism of entitlement activism ,  because they allowed political morons to take control of their party in all phases of leadership , running totally on the "christmas list" ideology of  their minor understanding of socialism at the ultimate cost to democracy .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)