Is the youngest child in the family always spoilt?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)
  1. daydreams profile image95
    daydreamsposted 10 years ago

Is the youngest child in the family always spoilt?

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 10 years ago

Not in my family. I think my older brother got much more of the attention from my dad. As the only girl, I got attention from both of my parents. My younger brother was the baby and got a lot of my mom's attention. I don't think any of us were spoiled in the normal sense of the word.

3. Jeannieinabottle profile image93
    Jeannieinabottleposted 10 years ago

I am an only child, but I am friends with several people that have very spoiled older brothers or sisters.  I think it depends on the family, but I get the impression that some parents spoil the first child so much before any other kid is born, that child continues to grow up being spoiled.  For that matter, I've met some really spoiled adults that are still being pampered by their parents.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I worked with a woman who was the youngest of 5 children.  This woman wanted HER way at work.  She also did as little work as possible.  She wanted THE WORLD but refused to work towards her goals. She lived at home until she was 30!

4. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 10 years ago

It can depend on the family, but also on things like the family's situation when one or another child has come along.  Example:  Young, first-time, parents may not have much money.  Older parents who are more established and have, say, their youngest child, may be more likely to be able to give the younger child more than the first one did.  Also, though, sometimes the parents are a little more lenient with a youngest child because they may have been "a little too much" with a first child, when they were inexperienced with children.

On the other hand, though, there are times when an older child gets to have both parents see him grow up and have children; while by the time a younger one gets there one of the parents may have passed away.  My sister got to have our father in her life until she was twenty-three - not very old; but my younger brother lost our father when he was only in his mid-teens.

Oh, my brother was just two when our mother was hospitalized for eight months for lung infection; so my brother was without my mother at that important time in his life.   My brother was also a baby/toddler who was born early and frequently sick.  So, for example, if my brother got a new little TV in his bedroom when he was six, and after my parents had extra money; and my sister and I shared a used TV and only once we were both teens...   It was all a matter of timing and individual circumstances, etc. etc.  Personally, I think the youngest child in our family got the "worst deal".

Well, even in the case of divorced parents; the youngest child will have had both parents living together for a shorter time than older siblings.  So again, people should be very careful about generalization - especially if they don't understand all the circumstances and issues involved in any family.

Basically, blanket generalizations are never a good idea.

gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

On the whole, youngest children TEND to be spoilt &spoilt rotten. I have encountered such people.They can be described as irresponsible &quite insufferable! They feel that EVERYTHING should REVOLVE around THEM! Oldest/middle kids are FAR MORE

5. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8160802_f260.jpg

To many parents, the youngest child is their baby, their jewel.   Also, the youngest child in the family is the parents' LAST child- there WILL be NO MORE after him/her.  Parents also view the youngest child as more fragile and in need of their love and protection regardless of the age of the youngest child.

In addition to that, parents are more relaxed and experienced when the youngest child arrives.  They are likely to be more lax regarding this child than they were their older children.   As a result of this parental experience, youngest children are more likely to get away with things that their older counterparts were often disciplined and/or chastised for.   

Youngest children know this and often use this for their advantage.  Because they are the youngest, they are considered to be "not knowing any better."  In many families, older children are oftentimes punished for the things the youngest child does because it is the parents' belief that the youngest as the baby is wholly innocent of any wrongdoing. 

Youngest children are known as the cute ones in the family.  They realize this and are often the attention grabbers and stars of the family.   Parents and older siblings adore them and want to do everything possible to please and placate the baby of the family.   Many youngest children are treated as princes and princesses in their family with their every need catered to. 

In contrast to their older, particularly the oldest siblings, youngest children have the longest and freest childhoods and adolescence; oftentimes into early adulthood.   In addition to that, they have the LEAST familial responsibilities of all birth orders.  Yes, youngest children have IT MADE in the shade so to speak.

Family size is highly influential as to the amount of spoilage regarding the youngest child.  In small and medium sized families (2-4 children per household), youngest children are more or less on an equal parity with their older siblings.  In such families, what goes for one oftentimes goes for all.   However, in medium large to very large families(5 and more children per household), youngest children are more likely to be spoiled and coddled while the older children bear the brunt of the familial responsibilities and the parental discipline.  Also in medium large to very large families, it is the youngest child who has the MOST and ADVANTAGEOUS educational and socioeconomic opportunities.

6. Penny G profile image59
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

No but siblings see it that way. Actually by the time they are born the parents usually have more money, more settled and they definite.

7. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

Youngest children can be quite insufferable.  In many cases, youngest children are spoilt rotten, especially in large & very large families where youngest children are catered to & indulged.  However, not so much in smaller families where youngest children are on equal parity w/their older siblings.

8. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 6 years ago

Every child can be considered 'spoiled'.

Take my family.

The oldest, a girl, was spoiled, by the estimation of other siblings. 'Daddy's favorite' who could do no wrong, who always shined in our parent's eyes, with her only claim to fame being the first.

The second, a boy. Spoiled, by the estimation of other siblings. Who spoiled him? Our parents, because he was diagnosed with a heart condition, which didn't equate to an inability to participate in any physical activity....our grandmother, because he was a boy....our community because he was heir apparent.

The youngest, spoiled in the eyes of siblings. Who spoiled her? Parents, because her age always made her less accountable than older siblings. Siblings, because she could be 'the doll' in make believe, she was small enough to engender feelings of protectiveness in the son and grandparents because everyone knew she was the last child.

The middle girl. Who spoiled her? Mostly she did. By bullying her way to the best she could. Guilting parents into behavior patterns to ensure she knew she was special. Why? Because of her insecurities more so than any outward actions by others.

Everyone is spoiled. Everyone is neglected. Everyone has to eventually grow up and realize this.

gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Youngest children are spoilt, especially those in large/very large families. Youngest children in such families are indulged & spoilt beyond repair.  However, youngest children in small families aren't spoiled.  They have an equal parity w/their oldest/older siblings.  It isn't so in large/very large families-in such families, oldest children get the shaft.  They are treated as unpaid slaves/mascots by parents & siblings whereas youngest children are babied & don't have any responsibilities at all.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)