How can I improve?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Georzetta profile image74
    Georzettaposted 14 years ago

I have done 2 hubs. Could you take a look and give me some feedback?

Thank you.

Georzetta

http://hubpages.com/hub/A-Practical-Gui … lt-Diapers

http://hubpages.com/hub/Emergency-Plann … unexpected

2. tim-tim profile image71
    tim-timposted 14 years ago

I think you are doing better than me, my friend. I wrote 16 hubs in 2 weeks and my score is not much higher than you. I think one of my problem is, one of my hubs was flagged as a duplicate even though it is original. As far as your hubs go, they are fine. One thing I have to say that, if you love writing whatever you like, then go for it. If you want better score, you have to write with good topic or the popular ones. Good luck!

Georzettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm starting with what I know. Popular comes later. Thanks for looking.

3. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

They look pretty good to me. I think I would consider putting in several smaller pictures throughout the hub instead of just one big one.

I only have the one picture. Thanks for looking.

G

1. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are lots of sites out there where you can download and use free photos. Flickr has a Creative Commons license, and many of them can be used in your hubs. Search the forums -- there was a recent thread about it.

All of the pictures don't need to be of diapers. What about pictures of seniors, or disabled folks that may need them? You don't need to be completely literal! smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lrohner, I find Flickr is all I ever need.  The other sites all tend to stick to mainstream topics - most of them have nothing on any kind of dancing, for instance, let alone flamenco!  I find Flickr often has "left field" kind of photos, too, which are good to add a bit of humour to the mix.

4. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 14 years ago

Your Hubs are very well written and organized.  However, the related Hubs next to your articles suggest to me that you may not have a very large target audience for the topics.  It's really original content.  I can't think of one time I ever read about adult diapers.  Good luck.

Who would want to unless there was a need? Thanks for looking.

G

5. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Nice Hub on diapers!  My suggestions:

-I can see you've split your text up into separate capsules, but I would split it up even more.  It's useful when you go back to tweak later (which you will, I promise!).  It will also allow you to align your videos and photos to the right of your text, which is usually the best place for them.

- Surely there must be a Youtube video somewhere on incontinence?  Videos are good because they keep your visitor on your page longer, and it creates a link to your Hub on Youtube.

- get rid of the outgoing links in your text, and leave them just in the Links capsules at the bottom.  You want people to leave your Hub by clicking on an ad, not by clicking on an outbound link to somebody else's site!

- I agree you need to add one or two more photos.  I know it's not easy to find photos on odd subjects, but that's why I use Flickr!  I did a Hub on cystitis and included a photo of the Mannekin Pis (the fountain with the little boy peeing on top), for instance.  It just lightens things up a little.

Do an Advanced Search and select "Creative Commons" and "for commercial use".  That will bring up all the photos you can use legally. Then you thank the photographer in the Hub and include a hyperlink to their photostream - I usually do that at the end of the Hub.

Wow.  So much great information here.  I was wondering about the photos.  I didn't want to violate anyone's copyright but I had no idea where to look.

The youtube connection is a totally new idea to me.  Thank you.

I'll start working on improvements this weekend.

Georzetta

6. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Now the emergency Hub - good content!

- make your first paragraph longer.  It has to be a certain length to trigger an ad in the top right hand corner - you may have to play around with it (use the preview button) until it appears.

Again, split your text up over more capsules and find some photos.  I typed "wheelchair" and "emergency" into the Flickr Advanced Search and found heaps of photos that would suit this Hub.  Float your picture capsules to the right of your text so they don't break the flow of the text.

you've got my head buzzing with ideas for improvements.  It was very kind of you to consider this was so much attention to detail

Thank you

Georzetta

Ah, another writer falls victim to HubPages - there's no hope for you now, you're addicted!

Finally had time to check out a few of your hubs. I wanted to read your work but also find out how to give credit for photos.  Another question, if you will, do you think the all text copyright is necessary?

It probably doesn't discourage anyone who's thinking of stealing it! I include it for three reasons - one, it can't hurt.  Two, I sometimes turn my name into a link to my fledgling website.  Three, I felt the photo credits looked a bit lonely stuck there on their own!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)