Market Your Writing

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (34 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Alexis Kenyattaposted 5 years ago

How do you market your writing online to get more sales because I have two self-published books, but no sales?

1. profile image0
      Abheek Jamwalposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Market them On HubPages by writing a brief about them and maybe submit to a HubPage Network site

1. theraggededge profile image96
        theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Self-promotion isn't permitted here.

You need a blog of your own. Join some relevant Facebook groups and maintain an Instagram account. Get your book onto Kindle and give it away free for a few days. There are lots of resources out there to help you.

Good luck with your books.

1. profile image0

I really didn't mean self-promotion. I mean that one can always write on HubPages about the topic you love. So what if that topic is somewhat related to your own book. You can add an Amazon capsule below regarding the topic if your book is itself listed on Amazon.

There have been several other hubbers who have tried it and had any links or Amazon capsules removed. It is still self-promotion.

1. profile image0

Well, I didn't know about it? Mam, Without Amazon capsules, will it still be considered as self-promotion?

1. profile image0

Thank You It was really informative.

2. Natalie Frank profile image92
                Natalie Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes.

2. profile image0
              promisemposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm curious why a link to a relevant site of any kind is bad. I've never received a rational explanation for it.

The FAQ doesn't say you can't have a relevant link, even if it goes to something else you have written. But the links get removed anyway.

1. Natalie Frank profile image92

It depends on what you are linking to, the type of article and content and the purpose of the link.  If you are writing a review of your own book then linking to a sales page, amazon or other, it is considered self promotion.  If it is an article on a topic you have written about before and you link to that one, then it is okay providing you are not linking from a niche site back to an article on Hubpages.

1. profile image0

From what you are saying Mam is that we can promote our own article in a way?----" If it is an article on a topic you have written about before and you link to that one, then it is okay providing you are not linking from a niche site back to an article on Hubpages".
                  Will this be alright if I write about horoscope about one sign and give a reference to my another zodiac sign?

Yes that's fine, although you couldn't link to 11 of them. However, if one was moved to Exemplore you'd need to remove any links back to articles still on HubPages.com. It's to do with Google not being too keen on HubPages, and why the network sites were created.

2. profile image0

I get the part about HP not liking self promotion. But why is it bad? How does it hurt HubPages?

In other words, if I link to a relevant external article written by someone else, it's a good thing. If I link to the same relevant article written by me, it's a bad thing. Why?

2. lobobrandon profile image88
                    lobobrandonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Scott, it is not a bad thing. Linking to your work on other websites is allowed and I have live links. The link needs to provide actual value to the reader and your article on HP should be complete as a stand-alone article too. Also, I would think that the website you link to on a whole should be decent and not a spammy website.

Linking to a product though is not allowed if I recall right. I didn't check out the learning center for this recently as it doesn't apply to me.

3. Natalie Frank profile image92

As I said before, this is actually fine as long as it is a relevant related article, is not an attempt at selling anything and is not linking a niche site article back to a hubpages article.

2. fcmosher profile image93
                fcmosherposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It has everything to do with Google's perception of HubPages (and the vertical sites). Google is already suspicious of content sites, and HP is very careful not to give them any reason to increase filters that keep HP sites from SERPs. So the rules about including links to sell things, or links to spammy sites, are very very strict. Really it's for our own good.

1. profile image0

Thanks. If that's the case, I suggest HP change the FAQ and apply the rules consistently.

2. Natalie Frank profile image92

This is still self-promotion and not allowed on HP.  You can always create your own website and market it there or on other types of social media platforms and channels, just not on HP.

1. EricFarmer8x profile image94
              EricFarmer8xposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It would be a lot easier to promote your work on your own blog. You control everything and write whatever you want.

You can go nuts as you want with ads, links, affiliate, and everything. Careful not to make Google think your blog is bad though.

I pretty much accepted early on to write on HubPages you need to write content they accept and approve of.

2. SmartAndFun profile image94
      SmartAndFunposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Check out Heidi Thorne: https://hubpages.com/@heidithorne

I have never published a book (self published or otherwise), but a long time ago I followed Heidi, and to this day I consistently get HP notifications that she has published new articles. She has written more than 300 articles, most of them about writing and publishing, and how to market one's writing. It might take a bit of time to skim through her articles to find exactly what you're looking for, but you will learn a lot, even from the articles you might have thought you didn't need to read. Checking out her articles will be worth your time if you are a writer or a self publisher.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

From what I have seen the first important step is to ensure that the book's blurb, cover, and excerpt are polished and appealing.  The KDP forum can help with that.

Next think about who would buy the book if the knew about it, and how to reach them--be targeted.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)