Anonymizers (Potentially Risky Site)

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (25 posts)
  1. sallybea profile image95
    sallybeaposted 5 years ago

Have any of you noticed as I have that your articles are carrying orange tick warning signs instead of green ones when you use Chrome saying that the articles you have written are potentially risky pages to visit?  I have asked the team for an explanation but am curious to know whether you are experiencing this?

1. Robie Benve profile image94
      Robie Benveposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm having the same problem. I just wrote to the team as well.

https://hubstatic.com/14240920_f1024.jpg

sallybeaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I heard back from a staff member but the response was completely unsatisfactory as she was referring to my article links in her one line response and not the problem with McAfee.   Perhaps I did not get my point across properly even though I provided links to the issue.  Hope she understands you better than she did me:)  I am going to leave it to the experts to get the message across.

2. Matt Wells profile imageSTAFF
      Matt Wellsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

I don't doubt that the site is safe but how do we convince the general public that this is so when they are being warned by their virus checker that it is not.  It may be a false positive but surely this has an overall negative impact on the site and our traffic?

1. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image93
          Glimmer Twin Fanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Agreed Sally, we may know the site is safe, but presumably anyone using McAfee does not, and I doubt anyone is going to take the time to check the status using a google tool.  Hopefully it's being checked out and can be fixed.

2. Matt Wells profile imageSTAFF
          Matt Wellsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This issue has been reported to McAfee: https://hubpages.com/forum/post/4035823

2. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image95
    Beth Eaglescliffeposted 5 years ago

I've just checked a few of mine on FeltMagnet and Bellatory (both logged in and logged out) using Chrome and none of them are showing this warning.

Have you checked on your HubPages account page to see if any violations or broken links have been found?

I think I have not made myself clear.  It does not happen on the actual page but before the person even gets to the page.   Results from a Google search for a felt top hat resulted in several of my own hubs appearing but two of those had an orange tick against them.  The public are given a warning not to visit them because the site (FeltMagnet) is not safe.  When I clicked to see what the warning was all about, my Mcfee virus checked warned me with a Whoa not to visit the site.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

No, nothing of that sort. It's some sort of plugin that you are using that is working in parallel with Mcafee. Maybe it's showing up for everyone using Mcafee, and Mcafee has been known to do this sort of nonsense.

Don't think I use any plugins.  Perhaps staff will come up with an explanation as I have sent them the relevant page links.

Okay, cool smile Because Google does not highlight stuff as being dangerous and I saw no indication when I googled for some of your hubs.

2. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Did a search for Felt top hat feltmagnet, using Bing, and got your hub "How to Wet-Felt a Double Brimmed Top Hat" as #1.  But, just as you say, clicking it produced a message from McAfee (not Chrome) that the site was dangerous and required an additional click to override the message and go on. 

Not good.

Yes, there are several hubs showing up like that (hard to get my point across when I don't fully understand 'computer speak'.  What are the implications of this happening:?  I do feel very concerned about it.

Implications: other people using mcafee may not go on and they will hit the back button. This is bad and can lower your rankings a bit, and so the rankings of the entire site.

That is as I suspected, I can only hope that staff is able to do something about it.  I know I did not want to click the go forward button myself but thought this would only have an impact on my own writing which is a shame as traffic has improved lately.  Here we go again!

3. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 5 years ago

If we are losing readers who use McAfee, that may account for the reason for the present drop in traffic.

1. wilderness profile image95

Checking a half dozen of my own (all on Dengarden), I found no problem.  Is it only FeltMagnet?

Hard for me to tell as most of my writing is on FeltMagnet.  I did see one other person who seems to have the same problem. Can't recall who it was though.

1. wilderness profile image95

And very little of mine is there.  Only 2.

But I did check them just now, with no problems.  Not sure but what McAfee decided that because I pushed through their notice looking at yours it decided to quit giving notice, though.  Might have, might not.

2. lobobrandon profile image88

Wilderness replied to this point, but other than that, the other reason is that we've lost rankings, so even if it were a Mcaffee thing, that's not the only reason.

4. sallybea profile image95
    sallybeaposted 5 years ago

Earlier this afternoon I found that I could not get onto Felt Magnet via the internal link on HubPages without a warning.  I eventually decided to ignore the Whoa message from McAfee and take the risk.   I see I can now get onto my pages without a warning but the orange tick boxes are still showing against my writing.on Feltmagnet when I do a search using Google.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Have you contacted HP about this problem? They don't always respond to forum posts, and it seems like something they should be aware of.

I have written to HubPages.  So far I have had no response.  I sent them links so hopefully they are now aware of the problem.

5. Titia profile image92
    Titiaposted 5 years ago

I've noticed that McAfee is not HP friendly for a long long time. Whenever I wanted to insert a link in one of my hubs I had to disable McAfee in my browser (FF) in order to proceed. I've searched in my McAfee where I could say that HP is a safe site, but couldn't find it.

I reported this long time ago to the staff and they told me they would contact McAfee about it but I don't know if they ever did or that McAfee just ignored.  Of course it's a big problem, nobody wants to enter a site they get a warning for.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)