Quotation marks for video game and movie titles?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (19 posts)
  1. poppyr profile image93
    poppyrposted 5 years ago

I currently have 73 articles on LevelSkip. Recently, the editor has been adding quotation marks to the video game title before moving it to the niche site (sometimes to movie titles on ReelRundown as well). The thing is, if you actually go on LevelSkip, you'll see plenty of articles with titles in them that have no quotation marks at all.

I don't like quotation marks; they don't give anything to the article and of course titles like Pokemon and Dragon Age are pretty obviously not going to be confused with anything else. Should I change them back? Leave them as they are? Go through all 60+ of my other LevelSkip articles and change them so all of the titles are in quotation marks? Any advice at all would be appreciated.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I just did 2 google searches, one with quotation marks, one without. They were virtually the same. I do not think Google is going to send you fewer searchers because of that.
      There may have been changes since those other articles were added to Levelskip. If they are now adding the quotation marks, maybe they have not added them to the other articles because they have not yet been edited. (Is there an editor who has worked with you a lot? You could ask him or her if HP has a new policy on this.)
      Would I change them back? No, I would not since it is not affecting your traffic. If this really bothers you I guess you could try to do 5 as an experiment and see if HP just changes them back.

poppyrposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for checking! I wasn't that worried about Google, just my own obsession with keeping everything consistent. Quotation marks look garish imo. Thank you for taking a look, though, that must have taken some time. I appreciate it.

2. MizBejabbers profile image87
      MizBejabbersposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Poppy, HP says they use the APA Manual of Style (American Psychological Association), however, I've noticed that some of their editors may not be educated in APA Style. I use this style to the letter now on HP, and if someone changes my style, I point this out to the hugpages team. They are usually apologetic when one of their editors makes an error.

Thanks for everything. From now on I'll use quotation marks in the titles if that's the format they'd like. At some point I'll go through the rest and change them as well.

1. Robin profile image85
          Robinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Poppy!  smile

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

https://www.thoughtco.com/punctuating-titles-1857242

I'm guessing the editor is classifying video games as commercial.

Update. As for movie titles, looks like the editor got it wrong?

Thank you! I checked out the link. I think both films and games would appear under the "Italics" category although they're not listed. It must be a specific editor or two who have decided to start doing it.

I suppose it's not really a big deal, but I might chang them back and see what happens. Or email them and ask permission first.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
        Jean Bakulaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I use italics for movies, book titles and the like. I find the editors are not all on the same page depending on the niche.

2. satomko profile image90
      satomkoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Nearly all style guides will explain that the titles of long works like movies and games should be either underlined or in italics.  To put those titles in quotation marks is flat out wrong, and I've had to go back and correct this error on several of my hubs, too, once they were "snipped."

3. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 5 years ago

I write a lot about music and movies and I've always put album/film titles in italics. It looks cleaner than quote marks.

4. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 5 years ago

I saw somewhere recently, I think in a forum post here, that HP generally prefers we format our articles in APA style. I'm not sure if that is correct; I don't recall ever hearing that before.

If it is correct, perhaps the editor is simply putting your articles in proper APA style. APA style says that titles of larger containers (books, movies, journals, magazines, newspapers, music albums) should be italicized, and smaller pieces within the larger italicized works should be in quotation marks.

For example, The first chapter in Lord of the Flies is titled "The Sound of the Shell."

or

My favorite song from the album Lonerism is "Elephant."

Just wondering if that might be what is going on with the editing.

1. MizBejabbers profile image87

I think you may be referring to a statement that I made. I saw it in an email, and I don't recall if it was a personal email from them when an editor was tweaking an old article of mine or if it was in one of their "blanket" emails.

5. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 5 years ago

Search engines apparently prefer single quotation marks.  Double can interrupt the 'flow' according to an interview I read with a Google technician.

1. MizBejabbers profile image87

If that is so, then we all need to be informed because APA style does not conform to this.

6. Robin profile image85
    Robinposted 5 years ago

The Editors at HubPages LOVE these conversations!  You are correct, SmartandFun, we follow APA format.  Here's a good link to understand when to use italics vs. quotes.  So, you are correct that we should use italics for video game titles.  The problem is that the HubTool doesn't allow italics in titles, so instead we are using quotes to differentiate.  Editorially, we decided this was the best course of action, but I'm happy to listen to differing opinions!  Thanks again for the discussion!

1. GA Anderson profile image87
      GA Andersonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well damn Robin. That was an extremely honest and human explanation.

Makes sense, and explains the motive. Better be careful, this kind of interaction could fall afoul of modern "cover your butt" protocols.

GA ;-)

1. Robin profile image85
        Robinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That made me laugh.  smile

2. MizBejabbers profile image87

Robin, I clicked on your link and read it and now I'm confused as to the title case and the sentence case. I've used APA style in the past as an editor on documents from a doctoral dissertation to an ebook I'm editing now for a client. This is the first time I've seen a reference to the use of sentence case. Would you please elaborate on when HP would prefer us to use sentence case, please?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)