No such thing as good or bad ...

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
    Kathryn L Hillposted 5 years ago

Not in Santa's mind and not in God's mind.

So, why do we project the concepts of GOOD and BAD into children's minds?????

The scientific principals of LIFE are taught and learned. When we follow the laws of the universe and life, things work out and we are successful in surviving and living a happy life. If we don't live according to natural laws, we fail and suffer.

Its a matter of science. Not good or bad.

Morals are based on the scientific laws which govern our lives toward harmony, happiness and peace.

Its all science as designed by  ....?

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Actually, the laws aren't just based on science. Add in the fact that major religions have rules to follow to be good or bad. If you go back to the ancient religions, those didn't teach the concept of sin and sinners. It was just in the last six thousand years, give or take a few thousand, that that tenet entered into our spiritual and religious beliefs. Now it seems to be coming full circle. Sin is in the eye of the beholder, and the teachings are leaning toward unconditional love. Science and the spiritual world seem to be melding and supporting each other. So you may have something here.

Kathryn L Hillposted 5 years agoin reply to this

"Actually, the laws aren't just based on science." Which came first the chicken or the egg: the laws of science or the laws of religion?

2. lovetherain profile image80
      lovetherainposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You are so absolutely wrong on this klh

as you believe.
        I believe the child is perfect at birth as he was made in the image of God. In fact, after he is born he is still being made in the Image of God. He is in the process of being made in the image that he had before he was conceived. So, I am absolutely right ... contrary to your ignorance.

Do you have children? If you do then you will know that they already have personalities when they are born. These are further developed later by parental influence and environment. Why was one of my children a placid, but self-centered child, while the other was temperamental but generous? Why was the temperamental child born afraid of animals, even stuffed ones? I love both of my children, but neither was born perfect because they were born human.

The animating spirit is perfect and this can be nurtured. It can be nurtured in positivity and purity.
            A child's inner strength and joy should be guarded and shielded by adults. Inner strength comes from his own capacity for curiosity, enthusiasm and the ability to concentrate. Yes, they have their own natures and even these, I believe, are spiritual in nature ... rather than human.

Here you are talking about a person's spirit, not the soul. There is a difference. The spirit is perfect because it is from God, but the soul is the heavenly part that the person brings into the world. It takes a human many lifetimes to discover his spirit. What made men like Buddha and Jesus, among others, different was that they came into the world with their spirit awakened. The average child does not, and when the spirit does try to shine through, the child is usually discouraged by the parent and entreated to "act normal".

3. The0NatureBoy profile image57
      The0NatureBoyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The laws are not based on science but "objective integrating scientific study" does reveal cause, effects, consequences and purpose for existence and existing. Only by objectively studying, meaning by not judging based on sense perceptions, is anyone able to recognize good nor evil actually exist. Because I'm working on being objective in everything I have reached that conclusion and fully agree with you, KLH

my ! MY! big_smile

2. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 5 years ago

There is such a thing as good and bad, where interpersonal relations are concerned. It's good to share. It's bad to steal. It isn't rocket science.

good for what
      and bad for what?
      why label actions as "good" or "bad?"
      We go by natural common sense boundaries. We do these things. We do not do these things.

The boundaries are set by the parents and adults in charge. If a child wants what he wants and does not listen to the parent, it is detrimental to say "you are a bad child." or  "You are doing something bad."

No, "You are doing what we must not do and you must stop."
      I will not have you talking back, being rude
      or hitting, etc."

We can just stop the behavior without labeling it or the child.

1. Live to Learn profile image60
        Live to Learnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oh gosh. It doesn't matter what words we use to describe the action. The meaning and outcome are similar.

it is subtle, yet important, to not label the child so that he does not identify with being either good or bad. He needs to be free of labels and pinpointing bad behavior. Just stop the behavior. Don't make the child feel ashamed.
          This will keep his true pure self-identity in tact.

I don't know that I can completely agree with the fact that any action will keep a child's pure self-identity intact. Because people change as they grow older. Not all children have a self identity which is loving, giving, capable of sharing, caring about the needs of others, etc. And, even if they were, it does not hold true that this selfless nature would follow into adulthood.

I can agree that when chastising a child we need to consistently label the behavior as wrong and not present our discipline in such a manner as we are judging the nature of the child. I always told my son I knew he knew better; that if he thought about his actions he'd understand why they were wrong. It was more of an appeal to his mind than his nature.

Each child was born with a spiritual core. We let children maintain contact with their spiritual cores by always showing acceptance.

We don't accept a child's actions when they are wrong, but his being, we always accept. This acceptance will go far in helping him maintain the love he has (was born with) in his heart.
              So we say,
              "I will not have this ... " focusing on our expectations. They want to please us when there is no criticism (from us.) Criticism, ridicule and punishments only makes them defensive, guilty and ashamed.

A statement such as 'I will not have this...' does absolutely nothing in the attempt to help a child get in the habit of thinking about their action and why they are, or are not, right or wrong. Such a statement imposes your will on the child. Perfectly acceptable during the first years of their lives, but if 'I will not have this...' is all that stands between one behavior and another, once your absence comes into play they have no real reason to curb the behavior; unless another person in a position of authority makes the same demand. We won't even get started on how such an approach can backfire when a child reaches their rebellious teens. And, certainly, such a long comment on the need to stop a certain type of behavior is going to be lost on a toddler.

I'm afraid I'm more inclined to support a position of helping a child understand the ramifications of behavior, why they are ultimately  detrimental and why an alternative course would work better not only for the individual child but the people they interact with. And a simply 'No' when they are too young for such an effort to cause any positive change.

Yes. I understand why you are resistant. One must understand that the child is programmed by nature to follow the adult in charge. He gets his cues as to how to behave and he absorbs it from us. We do not need to go into detailed explanations to the child under six, which is the age group I am addressing, (which I did not make clear.) And, I agree, for older children, (who can understand) explanations are valid. 

On a universal level, the child, under seven, is in the process of forming. His body was built in the womb and his psyche is being built after birth. He is programmed to absorb and follow what is going on around him without question. Parents and teachers, from what I have observed, generally do not understand that the child wants to please us and do what is expected. His will to do so is intact during this stage of development on an unconscious level.

He naturally wants what he wants, but during this stage we just set the boundaries. He will cry but we must not be blackmailed by tears. We must stand behind our 'No!" Many parents are too soft hearted or lazy to stand behind their "Nos." However, inconsistency is detrimental to the child who is trying to learn what is done and not done.

Another problem, on the other hand, involves the child's "sense of order." If you have established that the child can have cookies for dinner every night and then you deny him cookies for dinner one night, he will understandably be very upset. So we must be careful to be consistent in what is allowed and not allowed.

2. MizBejabbers profile image88

I do agree with your statement about pointing out the action is wrong, not the child bad. I wasn't the best mother, but I always tried to let my children know how good and smart I thought they were. One day when my younger son, a teenager then, had made a really bad mistake. I said to him that "for such a smart person, that was a really dumb thing to do." He laughed and agreed with me, then we discussed what he should do.

yes

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

To label a child and his actions as good and bad removes the awareness of his pure nature of the spirit within him/of his true self.

People who end up doing detrimental things, (such as molesting children,) have been led down a negative trail by their caretakers in childhood.

Of course, detrimental means destructive / therefore "bad" for life and happiness.

4. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

Morals are here to stay. If one chooses not to follow them, they will be unhappy and live a very unhealthy lifestyle.

I am saying we do not have use the terms bad and good when dealing with children. We don't want them to identify with bad or good. Just what is done and not done.

They learn according to what we allow them to do and not do.

His natural will is to cooperate, with love for the parent or guardian in charge. They want to please us. This will to please must be kept in tact.

The will to cooperate and please the adult in charge is universal in every child. It must not be shut down.

why not? evil and good exist in the universe.

Because the child is perfect at birth and is in formation according to the spiritual dictates of his pure nature as initiated by God or Super Unified Force, if you will.

1. lovetherain profile image80

Do you really not think good and evil exist?

1. lovetherain profile image80

I see KLH is avoiding my question....

good for what? evil for what?
                (Evil is l i v e spelled backwards.)
                What is the "what?"
                In my mind it is what is good for survival, life and happiness.
                Evil is the opposite of life force. It is toward death.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

They are programmed by nature to follow the parent. This is how they learn. We set the boundaries as we provide the stimulus for their lives.

6. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

A child is born with a clean slate. He or she learns by example. South Pacific, the musical, has a wonderful song about children how they learn from example.

7. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 5 years ago

I don’t think people are inherently good or bad, and I don’t think people are born as a clean slate either.

I believe that people’s actions are influenced by biological, psychological, and social circumstances. Not everything can be explained by nature and not everything can be explained by nurture, it’s a mix of everything. You might be more prone to certain good/bad behaviours right from birth than other people. You might end up exhibiting or not exhibiting those behaviours based on your social circumstances.

People are complicated. And I think it’s a very small minority that can be labelled “good” or “bad” as a whole. Most people do good things and bad things. I think it’s fair to label actions as being good or bad in terms of basic morality. I think it’s okay to say “you’ve behaved badly” or “that was a really good thing you did.”  I think the importance with labels lies in not telling someone that they’re a bad person because they did a bad thing and likewise not letting someone’s good behaviour excuse the bad.

8. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

We can provide discipline for the child while maintaining respect for his spiritual core. In this way, we preserve his connection to his true Self.

9. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 5 years ago

Evidence from psychology and biology studies are revealing amazing new information about what babies learn in the womb:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear … tion=click

Babies are not born with a clean slate. They learn sounds, tastes, even smells before they come into this world. The time before birth is far more consequential than most realized before now.

Thanks! smile

... and who is learning?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)