Unpublishing articles

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Jonathan Wylie profile image95
    Jonathan Wylieposted 5 years ago

I have 8-10 articles that have got zero views over the last 30 days. They normally pick up some views, but this month I noticed they got none. Some are recent articles, others less so. Some have thousands of total views, but none in the last 30 days. So, I have decided to unpublish them for now until I decide what to do with them. Has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions other than to rework the SEO? All of these articles are featured and most are on niche sites.

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Seems to be a bad month all round. I am just hanging on hoping things improve and updating pages in hope of better times.

Having said that, if you have somewhere else to publish why not try a small experiment?

1. Jonathan Wylie profile image95
        Jonathan Wylieposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Experiment? What did you have in mind?

1. Will Apse profile image88
          Will Apseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to throw a question back at you, but what do you think is the problem with leaving them published?

I think I might have misunderstood your intentions.

2. RonElFran profile image96
      RonElFranposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What would be your purpose in unpublishing those articles? I've never understood what's to be gained by doing so, unless you have somewhere else to move them to. Plus, I've had a number of instances where weak performers suddenly took off. For example, I have one that after years of having just a few views per day suddenly experienced a surge. Though it has receded from its high point, it still gets many more views than in its dormant period, and now has a total of almost 30,000.

I don't know why that particular article took off, and could never have predicted it would. But clearly if I had unpublished it because it seemed not to be doing well, I'd have missed out on tens of thousands of views, and never even known what I missed. So, I never unpublish any of my articles.

1. ziyena profile image90
        ziyenaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Great feedback Ron

3. Jean Bakula profile image92
      Jean Bakulaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Ron. Sometimes an article gets little traffic for a year, and all of a sudden everyone seems to discover it, or become interested in the content. Unless you have a money making blog, you may as well leave it here, especially if it's on a niche. Look at ways to refresh it: Write a more compelling summary, add better pictures.

4. Sherry Hewins profile image91
      Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I certainly would never unpublish an article just because it hadn't got any views in 30 days, especially if it was relatively new. It takes time for them to get their footing. And, as others have said, unless you have some other use for them why not just leave them here?

2. bhattuc profile image85
    bhattucposted 5 years ago

The place is crowded much and similar articles are strewn here and there. So many authors might be experiencing this.

This may be a temporary phase. Let us hope for better times.

Let us keep contributing.

Good day.

3. Ladymermaid profile image84
    Ladymermaidposted 5 years ago

If you haven't updated in awhile perhaps an update is in order. I've discovered a couple of mine with the old small photos in them so wound up doing a run through updating to insure I have the bulk of them in presentable order.

1. EricFarmer8x profile image94
      EricFarmer8xposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have unpublished a few articles because I could not think of a way to update them and I did not like how they currently looked. I would rather spend more time writing new content then trying to save articles that are not doing well months later.

That being said I agree that you should not do this too often. Maybe this is a mistake but I only have so much time so articles that are forever lingering in views are not helping me.

To be more clear I am talking about hubs I had that have not seen one view in over a month. Even on the networks sites.

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I tend to leave articles up until/unless I have an idea to change them.  The weirdest topics will suddenly get popular again.  Last year my article on melanism in animals got crazy traffic because of some blow up about a racially insensitive YA novel.

5. daniellepopovits profile image60
    daniellepopovitsposted 5 years ago

I would leave the articles published and hope for more traffic in the future. I know that it can definitely fluctuate. Maybe consider making some small changes/edits to any articles that aren't getting views to see if that helps.

6. Deb Vesco Roberts profile image94
    Deb Vesco Robertsposted 5 years ago

I have 3-4 I'm considering unpublishing for only 1-200 hits over 6 months, because they are bringing my overall score down. If I remove the ones in the 70-80 range, my overall score will be in the upper 90's. People say the score doesn't mean anything, but it must, else they wouldn't have it. I honestly can't figure out the difference between the article score average and the number on my profile. I've tried improving these low-hit musings, but unless I share them on my Facebook blog-sharing pages or Pin them, I don't see any traffic. They are some of my earlier writings when I was trying to figure things out, so perhaps they don't even belong on HP at this point. What to do!?

7. psycheskinner profile image84

Giving up traffic and earnings potential, no matter how modest, to improve an abstract score -- is not something I understand.

1. Deb Vesco Roberts profile image94
      Deb Vesco Robertsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Are you saying these scores do not mean anything? How much earning potential can there be to an article that has gotten maybe 100 views in 6 months? Looking to educate myself on these questions.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The scores definitely mean something. The thing about the scores is that you and I will never know what they actually mean. Only HP staff knows what the scores mean.

100 views in 6 months is very poor. I would also feel pretty down on that article, but it doesn't mean the topic you chose was bad, maybe the thing needs a lot more in depth expansion.

Agreed. I've edited and expanded, but it's more of a fluff and feel good article based on a little experience I had; it really has nothing to offer in terms of advice or expertise. As for the score, it stands to reason that whatever it may mean to HP staff, the higher, the better. I believe it is an average of all the articles scores from what I can see. I'm going to take that one article down that has 70 hits and call that one a learning experience! I'll move it back to my regular blog and maybe one day I'll figure out how to make it pop.

I've taken, and I mean this very very literally, probably around 200 articles off this website. I put them on Blogger from here. No, it wasn't always a good decision, but I do not want to completely waste something I put any amount of time into.

I'd make myself a Blogger account, were I you, and assuming you have Adsense, you can run Adsense ads on your posts there.

I have a blog on Wordpress, with my own domain, and I do have Adsense connected. I finally figured out how to do it; not the most user-friendly platform. I'm starting to see some pennies, but most of my revenue comes from the blogging I do about my cat and her cure from a fatal disease via a clinical trial...which isn't content that would do well here on HP.

2. Deb Vesco Roberts profile image94

It must have taken forever to move all that content! With 200 articles, I'd think you'd be making a decent amount here.

I make more all the time, but I had to raise my standards quite a lot. Many of the things I took off of here were good ideas, they just weren't up to my current standards. It's not a problem, as I'll simply re-write them here, in time, and in a much more professional way.

8. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

I've literally moved hundreds of articles from Hubpages to Blogger or Blogspot. I'm not sure there is much advantage in this. I've probably burned myself a lot. At the same time, my income has steadily increased over the years.

Anyway, all the stuff still exists, and is monetized. But no, I don't make much from Blogger, even on the one blog which is a total niche blog.

What I do get from this, however, is a better sense of what can be successful. I only want my best stuff on the Hubpages network, and I can always go look at the views the things on Blogger got, and decide whether or not to re-write the thing, and bring it up to my newer and higher standards here.

9. psycheskinner profile image84

Do you know what the scores mean exactly?  I don't.  Some secret formula that expresses how pleased Hubpages is with us, maybe.  That's not my primary goal and the formula is probably at least two Google algorithms out of date.

I do  know I am here to get traffic and earn money--both of which I can directly measure and fully understand.  A published hub can get traffic and make money, an unpublished one cannot.  Even my least successful hub has made a cent or two, and I'll take it. Hubs that have had no traffic for years will suddenly do well because the internet is constantly changing,

My Hubscore is average at best but I make payout more often than not.

Well said! money is money and it all adds up!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)