Making more money using Kindle Direct Publishing?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)
  1. clivewilliams profile image73
    clivewilliamsposted 5 years ago

Do you make more money on self publishing on kindle than hubpages? how much do you make?

2. EricFarmer8x profile image95
    EricFarmer8xposted 5 years ago

I considered it but then I remembered I don't how to write a book. I was thinking of throwing something together and publishing it as a joke. I might still do it anyway. Just to see if at least one person buys it.

I am curious if anybody has some serious earnings to report.

clivewilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You can only fail when you fail to try. Go for it.

2. Isivwe Muobo profile image71
      Isivwe Muoboposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have over 40 books on Kindle, but don't make much.

There are tips to making money on kindle and you'd have to apply these or your books would get buried under the thousands of other books that get published daily.

3. Natalie Frank profile image91
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

I know Glenn has some children's books he's published on Kindle so he might be a good one to ask.

ok cool

4. Kenna McHugh profile image93
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

Some authors do quite well with self-publishing. Create Space is popular with information to help you get it done.

I have a few books not doing so well

5. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 5 years ago

I was thinking of lumping some HubPages articles together and publishing them as a miscellany. As far as I know, there's no issue publishing the same content on both HubPages and Kindle.

1. Isivwe Muobo profile image71
      Isivwe Muoboposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Books on Kindle have to be 100% unique or they likely will get rejected.

You can however, publish the same book on another platform (so long as it's in an eBook format and not an article) if your book isn't enrolled in the Amazon Select programme.

6. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I make about the same on each but they are completely different types of writing and earning.  Books without a clear identity and market do not sell at all.

1. EricFarmer8x profile image95
      EricFarmer8xposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What kind of books do you publish if you don't mind me asking?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Fantasy fiction, mainly.

7. Urbane Chaos profile image91
    Urbane Chaosposted 5 years ago

I have three books through Createspace/KDP. 

The first one, "The Birth of Poteau" has sold well over 5,000 copies.  It's a local niche book about the area's history.  It was published in 2012 and I still average selling around 20-30 books a month.  Profit on each book is $16 online, and $34 with hard copies.  It took about two years to pay off the initial fees (securing historic documents, copyright rights, maps, etc).  Now, $10 and $20, respectively, of each sale goes back into our non-profit endeavors.

The second one, "The LeFlore County Adventure Guide" is another area book, but it's promoted across Oklahoma.  It has sold around 3,000 copies and was published in 2013.  It's nearing its life expectancy though (information is out-dated) so sales are dropping off.  I'll sell one or two on average every couple months.  In the next couple years, I'll re-release an updated version.  Profits range from $9 to $17.

The third one, "Stories of the Mountain Gateway" is about eastern Oklahoma history, legends, and other weird things.  It was published in 2017.  Over 4,000 copies of that one has been sold so far.  On average, I sell around 30 books a month.  Profits are smaller, but it ranges from $6 to $14.

With Stories of the Mountain Gateway, most of the stories compiled are also on Hubpages.  I do not allow full previews of the book since Google will pick it up as duplicate content. I also attributed and thanked Hubpages (and staff) in the book, just because I think it is the right thing to do.

Now to compare...

I have also had two books published through the University of Oklahoma Press: Oklahoma Traveler and Stories from the Oklahoma Traveler.  Both released about the same time, 2003 and 2004.  From the publishing company, I only received 9% royalties ($1.80 per book), they held the publishing rights and limited copyright rights, and marketing and distribution were limited.  I had an offer from Arcadia Publishing as well, but it was much the same, with only 6% royalties. I had both books pulled and had to fight to get back my publishing and copyright rights back.  In the agreement, I had to wait 15 years before I could republish those books, so that's what I've been in the process of doing.

I refuse to go with another house-publisher; with most things, POD is now the way to go.  (I also run things through RedBubble and Patreon).

The success of the books have been mainly due to them being more niche books containing information not easily found.  This makes marketing easier.  Marketing has been done through social media, forums, websites, and blogs, as well as paid advertising, free publicity, and partnerships with places such as the state parks and tourism centers.

I make significantly more through the books and freelance than I do on Hubpages. 

My basic business model with regards to HubPages is essentially thus: I'm hired to write freelance articles for various places, usually 1,000 to 4,000 words, generally around $.14 cents a word. I try to retain copyrights and publishing rights (with a six-month delay).  If I am able to keep the rights, or if the article is rejected for some reason, I publish it to HubPages.  From there, I'll re-use the article in different areas, such as print media, in lectures, video, or compile the articles into a print-only book.

For me, I'm able to make a living doing this and it leaves me a lot of "extra" time to run a non-profit as well. Just have to set a game plan, find multiple streams of income, and follow through. I hope this helps.

8. clivewilliams profile image73
    clivewilliamsposted 5 years ago

Thanks for that detailed input. I wish you well waith all your future books

9. LoisRyan1965 profile image83
    LoisRyan1965posted 5 years ago

I too am considering using Kindle Publishing if HubPages doesn't work out.  Most of my aticles are on the Home Remedies field and can be combined into an e-book.  I am giving HP the chance.  By the time I finished posting my last articles, if I am making a decent income with HP, say $600 a month, I will probably continue writing for this site.  It might take me a while for this-I  have between 600 and 1200 hubs to work on.

Thats wonderful..you are doing well here. I think your eBooks will do great too.

10. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Createspace no longer exists, now KDP Print is the only option.

11. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 5 years ago

Clive, I just noticed this thread with your question.

I have five paperback and Kindle books published using Lulu and Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP used to be Create Space).

To answer your original question comparing KDP to HubPages — based on my experience I find that writing articles online has become a decent small business for my retirement, but I make very little money from my books.

I recently added two children’s books on KDP and have yet to see any sales. It’s not easy. But that doesn’t mean that others can’t do well.

I believe in order to make money selling books, one needs to be a well-known author. It also helps to have a book about a unique subject that fills a special niche that others will want to promote.

We have more options to get readers with online content, such as using SEO techniques, proper APA style for titles and citations, and displaying Expertise Authority and Trust (EAT) in our bio — according to Google’s guidelines.

Make Google happy and your articles get a good ranking. But there is no easy way to get books displayed to more people. I think another issue is that people need to pay for books, but reading online is free when ads are used for monetization. So we get more potential readers with online content. That’s how I see it.

I wrote a couple of hubs explaining the details of self-publishing with KDP that you can find in the spotlight on my profile page.

I see, I have a few books on KDP....but only made a few dollars.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)