Google Releasing a Core Update Tomorrow (Monday)

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (61 posts)
  1. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 4 years ago

According to @searchliaison on Twitter
    They don't usually tell us beforehand?

1. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, they want to be proactive is what Danny says.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image60
      TessSchlesingerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I wonder what that means for my traffic...

2. DrMark1961 profile image95
    DrMark1961posted 4 years ago

My traffic is up almost 30% today but almost all of the increases seem to be due to google android.
    Does anyone know of a way we should be optimizing our hubs for android?

eugbugposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Until the image zoom bug is fixed on mobile devices, it's probably not a good idea using any small text on images.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 4 years ago

I'm also getting some nice large surges from Google Android. I'm not certain what exactly that means though.

1. TessSchlesinger profile image60

Yup, my traffic almost doubled for a few days. But it's now subsiding again.

4. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 4 years ago

My traffic was more awesome than usual, too, for a couple days. Today it's down by a couple hundred views. Is this due to the update you were referring to?

I just posted a new thread about this wrt Caloriebee. Dengarden is fine so far and may even be doing better hard to say as this is when my traffic keeps rising anyway.

1. OldRoses profile image94
        OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Interestingly, traffic to my website (devoted to herbs) is down significantly, but my Dengarden hubs (gardening) traffic has flattened, neither up nor down.

Oh that's sad. Is your website set up like your articles on Dengarden? Like all good pages or do you have a lot of short pages answering questions in a paragraph or two?

I have to admit that I haven't been writing new articles or updating old ones as often I should.  I've been busy.  Life is starting to calm down a bit for me so I should have more time to write and revise.  My traffic was holding steady and then suddenly dipped.  Now I understand why.  Darn that Google!

Good luck getting it back on track. Work on getting stuff interlinked and have a good menu structure. Those are good starting points on any site in case you don't already do this. Updated content definitely helps.

Thanks for the advice.  I have been doing those things, but it's nice to have confimation from an expert.

2. eugbug profile image96

Overall my traffic is down about 15% since last week, possibly some of the drop due to the algorithm but also students are breaking up for the summer so Owlcation articles are taking a hit (happened last year).

1. janshares profile image94
        jansharesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Got it!

3. Jessica Beasley profile image90
      Jessica Beasleyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I have been one hubpages for almost 6 months now and my traffic started exponentially increasing the month of may (I started promoting on Pinterest and Instagram) and then once early June hit, my overall views started dropping. I don't know a whole lot about how searches, algorithms, and all that stuff works just yet, but reading thread like this make me feel like there's a lot to it and not just purely something I'm doing completely wrong.

5. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 4 years ago

I am having surges as well -- most from Google.

6. Savio Dawson profile image91
    Savio Dawsonposted 4 years ago

My traffic surges continue too. Also, see a few hubs having hits from google android. Has something changed which is making this possible? Well, I am enjoying the hits, nonetheless.

7. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 4 years ago

Something I'm noticing is that all of my traffic is steady, except for articles which are at all medical related. I have articles on WeHaveKids that aren't medical related that are doing fine and ranking great (I'm only ranking under ScaryMommy which is good news for WeHaveKids) but medical related articles on the same niche are plummeting. It makes sense. But I think this is a really good example of why writing about anything medical related if you're not a medical expert is tricky.

8. Gregory DeVictor profile image94
    Gregory DeVictorposted 4 years ago

On Monday, my Google traffic surged to a record level, especially for my articles on HobbyLark. Since Tuesday, however, my Google traffic overall has been down by about 20%. For the same period that includes Monday, I have also noticed that my desktop traffic has increased by about 5% and that my mobile traffic has decreased by about 10%. (Traffic from tablets has remained about the same.) In summary, my overall traffic for Tuesday-Thursday is down by about 15%.

There is a discussion about all of this over at Search Engine Roundtable.

Here is the link:

https://www.seroundtable.com/google-jun … 27682.html

9. TessSchlesinger profile image60
    TessSchlesingerposted 4 years ago

That was interesting. So health, finance, and gambling hit.

1. Gregory DeVictor profile image94
      Gregory DeVictorposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I noticed that health-related sites were especially hard hit. I'm also wondering if some of my Android traffic is going to my two main competitors.

10. TessSchlesinger profile image60

Daily Mail has lost 50% of its traffic. Vimeo has lost NFL has lost. Huffpost, Mirror, and Sun have gained.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90360580/go … daily-mail

11. TessSchlesinger profile image60

Just found this. If you scroll down the article,  you'll find a list of winners and loser.

https://www.jellybeanagency.co.uk/blog/ … m-updates/

Thanks. That is a very informative article.

12. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 4 years ago

According to Google:

"This site diversity change means that you usually won't see more than two listings from the same site in our top results. However, we may still show more than two in cases where our systems determine it’s especially relevant to do so for a particular search…"

I wonder what are the consequences of this for similar articles and variations on a theme?

I am wondering about this too.

When I used to work for an SEO company in Houston, I ran into clients that used to have about a dozen different websites with slightly different names, so that when one google for a particular service, their company would come up for the first dozen spots... just on different sites. Black Hat and all that.

13. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 4 years ago

Possibly this been happening for some time. I noticed a couple of articles that were on page 1 in position 3 for a search term have completely disappeared from rankings. Splitting large articles into several smaller ones mightn't be a good idea any more either. (did this some time ago with a troubleshooting guide).

I agree with you about not splitting a larger article into smaller components. I also understand what you are talking about with articles disappearing from the serps. For example, I have noticed that I keep bouncing from position 1, 2, or 3 for one of my HobbyLark articles into oblivion, and then back again. It can change by the hour. This was going on before the Google update too.

My guide was initially a very long (10,000 word article) so I split it into a basic and advanced guide. Both were ranking on page 1 but a few weeks ago, the basic guide vanished from SERPs.

That is quite puzzling why all that happened. Very puzzling indeed. I’m also wondering whether load speed time is now playing a more critical role than ever before, especially on Android. Why have certain webpages radically gained or lost viewers who are using Android? It has happened to me as well as others.

14. Gregory DeVictor profile image94

I just received today’s edition of SearchEngineJournal.com. Here is a quote from the article:

“Google’s Search Liaison announced a ‘change’ that will reduce duplicate site listings in the search results. The goal of this change is to show more diverse websites. This change is called the Site Diversity Change. It’s a change to how Google shows websites in the search results, but it’s not a change to how Google ranks websites.”

Here is a link to the entire article:

https://www.searchenginejournal.com/goo … newsletter

15. Kenna McHugh profile image92

Great information. Thank you.

16. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

Well, my stats have neither been banner nor disastrous this week. Just plodding along.

Consider yourself  lucky, because some of us had quite a roller coaster week.

17. Gregory DeVictor profile image94

For anyone who is interested, here is a link to a Google page where you can find out whether an HP article is mobile-friendly or not:

https://search.google.com/test/mobile-friendly

18. Kenna McHugh profile image92

Gregory, Thank you.

Kenna, you’re welcome. I have tested about one-half of my articles that are on HobbyLark thus far. So far, so good. As you may already know, some of us have seen radical gains or losses this week with Android users. For months, my desktop and Android users were always fairly even at about 48% each, with tablets getting about 4%. Today, everything was lopsided with desktops at 59%, Android at 39%, and tablets at 2%. It’s been that way since about Tuesday.

19. Kenna McHugh profile image92

It's hard to tell what is happening with the Google update and Maven Popups. Someone mentioned the popups are blocking the articles on a mobile.

20. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 4 years ago

It's difficult for me to gauge the impact. My views generally drop at this time of year because of school kids and college students taking their Summer break. It's also so complicated nowadays with everything split into niches - I write for multiple sites. Individual hubbers often have limited influence over such things anyway. I will wait to see if we get any info from HP. Thanks for those posting links to the search engine articles.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I did have a few hubs that did astronomically well in late May, which I know from experience is usually a sign that Google is testing performances of samples in the prelude to a major algo change.

21. paradigmsearch profile image60

As online writers, we are just candles in the wind. I still write, update, and continue to play the SEO game. However, I only do so because I still think of it as fun. The day it becomes just work, I am gone. Meanwhile, the key is resignation; the online world will keep messing with us and that's the way it is. Don't bet the ranch. Maybe a cow, pig, or chicken or two; but not the whole ranch. big_smile

What if I'm old MacDonald?

I'm inclined to agree with you.

It's why I've spent the year broadening my horison. Writing books, Looking at other stuff.

I'm coming back to hubpages, though. If I really think about it, I love writing short articles. smile

Just yesterday, I sat down and decided that from now on, I will write an article every Friday.

22. Kenna McHugh profile image92

The ramifications of the Internet is tricky. From the last adjustment, Google made about duplicate content makes sense. I am going to say they are trying to get to the good stuff for those who need help or information that is valid. However, looking at those who benefited from the update, which Google says is different from the adjustment, it is not a fluke. Things just don't happen. They are planned.  I'd like to see HubPages benefit from Google's update. What would it take for that to happen?

23. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 4 years ago

Some interesting reading here, some points made about author recognition and original photos:

https://www.seroundtable.com/google-fix … 27729.html

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
      DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

This is a very depressing article. (The comments are a lot more interesting.) Basically, it emphasizes to me that no matter how much you strive for author recognition, the site is going to be downgraded because of the poor pages on it.
      It was my feeling that the niche sites were going to help with that issue. Unfortunately, I think they all need to be severely pruned. (There are a lot of articles on there that never should have made it.) I doubt HP wants to do this though since having fewer updates is another reason web sites have poor rankings.
      Thoughts?

1. EricDockett profile image97
        EricDockettposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I find it especially frustrating when HP articles lose position in the SERPs, to be overtaken by articles and sites that in no way appear to meet Google standards, such as those discussed in the article.

I think one reason our articles struggle is because of the wide focus on most of the niche sites. PetHelpful is generally pretty focused, but most of the other sites are all over the place.

SpinDitty has musical instrument reviews and lessons as well as "Best Songs About (insert pretty much anything here) and "Top K-Pop Groups" articles.

What is Google supposed to make of that?

Exemplore has paranormal stuff, plus tarot reading and astrology. ???

Owlcation has a huge mix of topics. My birding articles are linked to articles about alligators and other unrelated animals.

I know HP staff work their butts off, and they do a great job, but sometimes it feels like we compete with these other sites with one hand tied behind our backs.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
          Wesman Todd Shawposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps at some point in the future they'll split some sites into more exact niche sites? I'm one of the major suspects concerning musical instrument reviews on Spinditty.

The folks there definitely confuse me sometimes. Lately I've thought they must think there are too many guitar articles on the site.

1. EricDockett profile image97
            EricDockettposted 4 years agoin reply to this

There is nothing wrong with your musical instrument reviews, or the K Pop stuff or anything else. But one of the things Google asks themselves when it comes to authority is "What is this site about?"

In the case of some of the niche sites they are about many loosely related things. That means your guitar articles are going to have a harder time competing against articles on sites that only have guitar or musical instrument content. The more non-guitar stuff added, the more diluted it gets, the harder it will be to compete with sites that specialize.

The niche sites have worked out very well, but this is one of the downsides. I would love to see HP add more sites and split topics up even further if that is practical.

True. This is why it is important that you try and dominate your niche. If guitars are your niche, write a lot of guitar articles and interlink them once they are on the niche site. This is the next best thing to having a site on just guitars.

24. Ladymermaid profile image85
    Ladymermaidposted 4 years ago

Personally I think the niche sites simply need a better directory system so people can find the exact topics they are searching for. I find the current system very limiting

There is the hamburger menu which shows sub-categories, but the menu at the top of the screen was never fixed and topics go off screen on desktop, Maybe this could be two lined?

25. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94

Eric, I totally agree! I think that they should niche out even more on HP, especially because there's some popular niches I feel like we're missing out on right now like true crime and satire.

26. gerimcclym profile image96
    gerimcclymposted 4 years ago

I agree completely with the concept of splitting the current niche sites into more specialized niche sites. Owlcation is all over the place and it seems like some of the other niche sites are also. It seems that more specialized niche sites would be a win-win for all.

27. paradigmsearch profile image60

Well, it's been 10 days now. Both HP and my website have been unaffected. Another Armageddon apparently survived. big_smile

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
      DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, me too, I only lost 35%. I think I had this traffic 2 or 3 years ago.

28. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 4 years ago

There are rumours about another algorithm update today (19th June).

29. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94

Curious about this rumored update! My traffic is still down from what it was before the earlier update but my earnings weren't as affected as I thought they'd be. Also, I'm noticing that traffic in my niches outside of parenting/babies is going up. Overall, I think that as time goes on, this update will be beneficial to HubPages as long as they continue to focus on quality pages and ditch the thin content.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)