Panda update coming Friday or Monday

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 112 discussions (324 posts)
  1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 11 years ago

Google announced an upcoming Panda release for this Friday or Monday.  We will be watching.

1. alexadry profile image96
      alexadryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh, oh.. maybe that explains my lower earnings on March 8th? I hope the worst is over! Miss those times when there weren't penguins, pandas and pigs!

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cool beans!  Anything would be an improvement on my account.  cool

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
        Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Who knows Randy. Maybe this one will bring you out on top. I hope so. After this long, you deserve it.

3. dwachira profile image79
      dwachiraposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Again? Fine, keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks Paul for alerting us.

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

For reasons apparently known only to my subconscious, I feel oddly optimistic about this one. I was right about Squidoo..., so we shall see. And as for link-networks, I put the odds at better than 50:50 that eHow is doomed. And as for Yahoo Voices' consistently obsolete posts always showing up at the top of search results, that's another blatantly obvious one, re: the freshness issue, that I think has a decent chance of finally being fixed. We just might have ourselves a level playing field next week!

1. SimeyC profile image89
        SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The problem might be that the level playing field happens to be sitting on top of Mount Everest!!!

2. Tealparadise profile image82
        Tealparadiseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes!  What is up with Ask Yahoo being top result all the time?  It makes no sense, especially when often the "answer" is not even an answer to the question.  So the top response is literally useless. 

And ehow... ugh.  Don't get me started.  Them and about.com seem to just throw a paragraph onto a page, then 10 links which each have a paragraph.  Then each new page has 10 more links.  You keep clicking because they make it look like the actual article is just around the corner, but you never get there and end up giving them like 20 views with no answer to your question.

1. molometer profile image80
          molometerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree. That is all I have been seeing for months now.
          I clicked on about 10 pages just today on Mashable and a few other 'notable' sites and it was just as you describe. A couple of paragraphs and another 10 links. I even considered doing a few pages like it myself, just to see how they performed and what would happen. I still might.
          What a load of tripe and yet they are out performing everything else in the serps.
          How come they haven't been hit by these Panda updates.
          Most of the content (if it can be called that) was ancient too.?

Don't quit the day job.

1. Tealparadise profile image82

Mashable used to have decent content too.   I was on the site recently and the layout has been changed to something terrible.  Like pinterest of articles and ads.  Makes the site too loud.

2. Dolores Monet profile image95
          Dolores Monetposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This has been driving me crazy for some time. Many of the answers are so wrong. Looking up how to clean wood kitchen cabinets - some of the suggestions would have totally ruined them. And the lists of links and say nothing paragraphs so get on my nerves! When I hear there is going to be a new Panda, I think "oh no" there goes the traffic that has finally returned. But then I think maybe it will get rid of the rubbish! (I just hope they don't think that I am the rubbish, haha)

3. 2besure profile image79
          2besureposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I use to write for ehow, when I first started writing online.  When I look back at some of the crap I wrote, I am embarrassed!  Hubpages, has a much, much higher standard for the writers, than eHow ever did.   Towards the end, they constantly deleted writer's work without warning.   They were terrible.  They never responded to the writer's questions, and later closed down the forum, so we couldn't communicate with each other.  Eventually, they stopped paying the writers and closed the writer's compensation program.  They paid some of us for our articles, and the rest went away mad!  How they are successful with how they treated us, is amazing to me.

5. Cantuhearmescream profile image76
      Cantuhearmescreamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What is a Panda release? How would it be good for HubPages?

1. Page1 SEO tactics profile image54
        Page1 SEO tacticsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Panda along with Penguin are names of Google's algorithms which determine your SERP and page rank.  A Google Panda release the would be an update to the algorithms to which is supposed to help prevent webspam, though sometimes just makes the webspam more prominent.

2. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 11 years ago

Oh, great. Something to look forward to. Thanks for the heads up, though. If my traffic tanks again, at least I'll know why.

3. Greekgeek profile image77
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

About blinking time. No Google updates (announced) of any kind for all of February make me think of the Cascadia Subduction Zone... I start waiting for the Big One!

4. viking305 profile image94
    viking305posted 11 years ago

Let's hope  Google  is good  to us this time and we can get back to the good old days!

5. joym7 profile image61
    joym7posted 11 years ago

just waiting for another change on my site wink

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

They seem to like starting our weekends with a surprise, so nice they gave a heads up warning for either day.  hmm

Let's hope it's good to us.

That Penguin update sounds rather ominous..

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image80
      Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, they do it on Fridays for their own jollies. It's like kids setting fireworks - then they run behind something and hide while all hell breaks loose. wink

7. wabond profile image58
    wabondposted 11 years ago

Google only going to be good to us, if their updates have lost them advertising revenue.  Hopefully that is what happened.

8. leahlefler profile image95
    leahleflerposted 11 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up! Will be watching my traffic to see what happens (I hope it is a nice Panda this time)!

9. sgbrown profile image93
    sgbrownposted 11 years ago

My views tanked about a week ago and I have no idea why.  Google's update will either help me or send my over the edge.  I don't know whether to dread it or look forward to it!  Cross your fingers for me.

10. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 11 years ago

Normally I would be dreading this news as my HP generally tanks or stays the same when there's an aglo update.  But as my main HP account is currently languishing, I can only look forward to this one!

Hold onto your seats, folks!

11. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

I have to say that Google is not updating other articles that I have found in my searches. I research everyday and the crap and outdated information I get on Google is astonishing. Websites that are coming in first are years old and the information is outdated. Why are we being hit so hard?

I have found exactly the same. Webpages that date back to 2007 are in first spot on a general search. The content is usually less than 400 words and poorly written. Check out some of the articles on sites like Mashable, they are ridiculously tiny. Have no value and convey no information worth knowing.
      Someone needs to get hold of Panda and ring his neck.

1. 2besure profile image79
        2besureposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is true, when I am looking for something current, I add, 2013 to the end of my query.

This is the point. Panda is supposed to be finding 'better' pages not dross from the dark ages of the web. How many users would know, to put the current year in? very few I am guessing.

12. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 11 years ago

If Google announced the update, it must be a substantial one.  I hope it brings back traffic to our hubs.  My subdomain never recovered from the flipping Penguin attack.  Oh high and mighty Google, would you please have mercy on us poor hubbers this time.  Pretty please...

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

I think there is a real shot it could happen. May of us have been busily making our hubs better; Google has dropped by and observed this; and now Google will implement those observations this weekend. If life is fair (yeah, right, fat chance, no guarantees there...), the hard work should now pay off. Seriously, we have a good chance here I think. smile

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
        PaulGoodman67posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's good to hear such optimism.  But who knows? 

My hubs are way better than they've ever been, so it pains me that I'm currently languishing (HP - crashed, Squidoo bumped down).

It's difficult for someone like me to get a handle on the bigger picture, however.  I know that Squidoo have been suffering from spun articles on an industrial scale.  Google might decide to push the "content farms" even further down the search rankings?

We will know after the weekend, I guess.  I am getting a little nervous -  can you tell?  wink

Just to be on the safe side, I'm going to also do what Mark did. I knew I'd find a use for that outdoor cat that's been hanging around...

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
            MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you need a human sacrifice, I can give you my ex-husband's address. He's marginally human.

13. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

I must be crashing soon because my traffic is climbing today! lol

14. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

I am prepared to make an offering to the great God Google...

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7778404_f248.jpg

1. profile image0
      summerberrieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

HP has already taken care of the offering to google. It is called "collateral damage" .

I thought it was pandas you were supposed to behead?  So that's where I've been going wrong!  smile

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
          Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh no. A sheep wasted.

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Can I have the wool?  If google puts me out into the cold (again) I'm going to need it.

2. LisaMarie724 profile image68
      LisaMarie724posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Let us hope your sacrifice is not in vain lol.

1. Dorsi profile image87
        Dorsiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Remember Mark, "no other "idles" before me" either,

got that "pun" hehehehehehe.....

15. profile image0
    GoldenThreadPressposted 11 years ago

My sources (searchenginewatch.com) say that we may be in for a bumpy ride, so hold on tight and keep writing good quality Hubs. Changes will be occurring over weeks following the Panda update. And Google's Cutts supposedly intimated that there will be a new Google Penguin Algorithm to be released in the near future. Perhaps the upside, if there is one, Google is planning on "involving merchant quality." Maybe better ads equate better profits for online writers and websites that harbor Google advertisements. Even so, the long and short of it, we all need to keep doing our best--come what may. --Deb

The Cutts "merchant quality" reference I actually find worrying.  I am concerned Google might hit our capacity to earn via Amazon in a big way!

Good luck with the Amazon thing. I don't have to worry about that, but I do have some eBay scattered around. First hint of trouble, I'll toss them. Risk:reward just isn't there for me.

2. profile image0
        GoldenThreadPressposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"The Cutts "merchant quality" reference I actually find worrying.  I am concerned Google might hit our capacity to earn via Amazon in a big way!"
        and
        "Yes, with their Adsense income declining dramatically, one suspects that their business plan is to recoup money by increasing the amount of advertising in the search engine results, with the reasoning being that they are increasing quality by setting up a paid relationship with sellers/affiliates.

It would be crappy if Google page 1 just becomes a list of paid adverts when people are searching for products, though, you would hope that they would try to avoid that?"

PaulGoodman67: I cannot speak about Amazon, as I haven't found much reward with them ever. Still, you never know. But as for increasing advertisers filling page 1 of Google, I am wondering what good would that serve? First of all, too much advertising turns people off. Too little, not enough revenue. I think they may be trying to find a better way to target the ads to the best audience, is my guess. That way, the power of the $$ is in the hand of the reader and is directed more appropriately. But again, that's my take. --Deb

16. jacharless profile image75
    jacharlessposted 11 years ago

Oye, more bulldozers leveling homes in Content Suburbia. At this rate only a few makeshift, recycled cardboard shanties will remain standing before years end. Yet, it was inevitable. Demolish everything on the Horizontal and rebuild. Can you say: "Duplexes, everyone!"?

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7778677_f248.jpg

"Content Suburbia, where every home is equal (looks the same!). New homes coming soon!  Spacious Duplexes. Amazing horizontal views!"

Population:
    240,000,000 1995
    115,000,000  2011
    74,689,210  2012
       4,353,999  2013
                 825  2014 **

**content is now corporate owned and strictly google driven.

1. jacharless profile image75
      jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7778754_f520.jpg

1. janderson99 profile image54
        janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://www.a1niches.com/quest3.jpg

LOL.  I love your picture but if you're implying that the social networks are somehow beholden to Google I have to disagree.

Reddit definitely runs its own ads program, and is spreading by word of mouth, no googling.

I feel that social networks are the only non-google way to get hits.

They are shown as independent, but of course they are affected by G's decisions.

17. jacharless profile image75

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7778899_f248.jpg
    No Warrant means no insurance [we make no guarantee] on the value of the Call or Put. Buyer & Seller are G. So, who cares about insurance! Option Manager: DoubleClick.
    Yeah, but isn't that monopolizing --- .
    Quiet! You wanna get indexed, or bulldozed?
    What about our content rights?!
    Content. What content? You don't need no stinking content!

18. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I have heard that when one is signed out, the ads on our hubs can be quite daunting... I think I'll go check that right now. I hope I don't come back here swearing... big_smile

Update:

NOT THAT BAD!!! Far as I'm concerned, that worry is removed.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you saw a different version than I did - to me, the view when I'm not signed in looks pretty ad-ridden.

Yes, but they weren't obnoxious like I've seen on so many other sites. Hopefully Google is coordinated enough to notice that.

19. Tealparadise profile image82
    Tealparadiseposted 11 years ago

Oh Snap!!!   Anyone with a Squidoo account should pop over and take a look at their "warning" page.

It's basically a desperate plea asking users to voluntarily take down spun and junk content, or fix it.

Right at the login screen!

There's a bit of "or we'll wade through it all and do it FOR you!" at the end but you can definitely tell that the Upper Squids are flipping out over this update - there's no other reason they would put up this huge warning.  They can't possibly get the trash off the site before Panda Pound so they're actually begging users to do it, and fast.

The only thing they don't do is actually mention the update.

I wonder what they know that we don't???

1. Barbara Kay profile image74

I think Squidoo is going to get hit hard. They have lenses over there that have more ads than content. I'm hoping we at Hubpages fare well.

Just had a look at the Squidoo warning. Holy mackerel, they look like they are hunkering down for a nuclear attack. Mind you, there is a lot of crap on that site too. So maybe they deserve a Google slap.

I honestly don't see the same level of poor content on hubpages, but then again I only follow good writers so maybe I have missed the dross.
        I have seen some real rubbish on hubpages which I flag, but not that often.
        Also the format of hubpages stops people over-stuffing their hubs with ads. So we may well fare better with this Panda twitch.

I do the hub hopper over at mturk and I haven't seen many nonsense hubs at all.  Nothing like the drivel I associate with Squidoo.

2. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Having just participated in a conference call with Seth Godin and a few higher up Squidoo functionaries, that's not the impression I got.

1. Will Apse profile image90
            Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And was there some substance to this conference? Or was it just a cheer up the troops in a time of draining confidence?

Personally, I hope Squidoo recovers or this site will get very crowded.

20. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

That really is an awesome pic. I wonder what Google, Bing, or Yahoo would pay for it... big_smile

1. LauraD093 profile image72
      LauraD093posted 11 years agoin reply to this

love this:)

21. LauraD093 profile image72
    LauraD093posted 11 years ago

i just posted a forum in free discussion on this very topic**oops** I posted a link which goes into detail and predicts Friday or Monday the 18th...sigh

This time there is some real speculation as to whether this Panda Perpetration will be good news or bad news. smile

22. LauraD093 profile image72
    LauraD093posted 11 years ago

this is the link-it goes into some detail but it is still pretty vague...sigh

http://searchenginewatch.com/article/22 … n-in-Works

1. Barbara Kay profile image74

If you read the page on how to fix your site, one of the suggestions is to get rid of pages that get low traffic. I guess all of our complaining about pages being de-indexed is the wrong thing to do. That is one of the suggestions. Get rid of low traffic pages. Google views them as a site with poor content.

1. SmartAndFun profile image92
        SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting. Thanks for posting this.

23. technogupshup profile image60
    technogupshupposted 11 years ago

wait for events

24. Healthy Pursuits profile image80
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years ago

Well, if this time is anything like last time, I hope they at least offer us a cigarette afterward. hmm

1. profile image0
      GoldenThreadPressposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Or...a last meal?--Best Regards--Deb

If they would send me my accumulated earnings for the last several months, I could buy a hamburger.  And maybe even a second one for my wife; one last night out on Google! big_smile

25. Cheeky Girl profile image65
    Cheeky Girlposted 11 years ago

Is it good, or will it be bad? Every time Google fine tunes the Google search engine, people's traffic gets a jolt. The first Panda update was like an earthquake across the web, and hubbers remember it mostly for the lost traffic and drop in reads we were getting. Some hubbers migrated to other places on the net in hope of better things.

So memory serves us well. Google wants better results to appear in the Google search engine. Over at SMX West, Matt Cutts - the "Have-I-Got-news-for-you-about-your-search-position!" guy at Google intimated that the coming algorithm update would be significant and likely focus on 1) penalizing link networks, and 2) go after "low-quality" merchants. (We think that alluded to a penguin update.) So basically - that's a sideswipe at the unfortunate "Interflora" who got demoted on the web to nada over link misuse - and others, like that newspaper that was apparently selling links in the UK. (!)

Google is slowly herding merchants towards using specific ad systems (hint - the Product listings Ads)  and not others. That is done by tinkering with (read - seriously reducing!) the natural or organic search positions! There is a dim slight chance the approaching juggernaut in your rear view mirror may actually pass you by and not nudge you off the road, as some anticipate. It depends on what other motorists you ask...

Yup! Life is never boring with Google around..

Yes, with their Adsense income declining dramatically, one suspects that their business plan is to recoup money by increasing the amount of advertising in the search engine results, with the reasoning being that they are increasing quality by setting up a paid relationship with sellers/affiliates.

It would be crappy if Google page 1 just becomes a list of paid adverts when people are searching for products, though, you would hope that they would try to avoid that?

2. aa lite profile image85
      aa liteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've just seen that the BBC site received a "suspicious link profile" notification.  That site doesn't even have advertising! 

My only hope is that HubPages has been slapped so many times that there is nowhere to go but up.  But who knows maybe I am fooling myself.

Because I don't think Hubbers are particularly adept at making bad backlinks (at least on the industrial scale that sites that have SEO companies looking after them do), I don't think we have that much to fear from Penguin.  And the bad merchant thing doesn't apply, that's for websites of companies that actually sell things directly, I don't think Amazon is considered bad or untrustworthy. 

It seems like now is the time for Squidoo to get a beating, there is some desperate action over there to clean up all the "nothing but 100 Amazon products" pages.  Which is a pity because I started making nice money there just before all this happened.

But as long as one of the sites I write on can rank well, it is not too bad.  If both HP and Squidoo are punished, that could be pretty nasty.

26. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

Somebody put in a good word with that seagull hanging around the chimney over the Sistine Chapel.

27. David 470 profile image82
    David 470posted 11 years ago

Oh man! I hope this does not have a negative effect on me because I never got back to the point where I was doing well with traffic/earnings in later2011 and beginning of 2012.  Those algorithms and everything decreased my traffic.

28. Winterfate profile image93
    Winterfateposted 11 years ago

I'm currently at my highest lifetime point here at the site. So, I think it goes without saying that I hope that traffic improves and no one gets hit by this Panda.

29. ContriveIT profile image60
    ContriveITposted 11 years ago

What gets me the most is how lately, they give more rank to these scammy local review/biz listing sites. If they are genuinely interested in getting people to quality results, this is clearly not the way.

Its been proven time and time again that a majority of these sites filter good reviews and want you to pay to have them released but meanwhile, a bad review will post immediately and spread through the search engines like wildfire.  Don't believe it? See for yourself.

This coupled with the fact that the listings are ranked by "who pays the most" ends up being the worst possible results a search engine could possibly offer to the end users.

[/rant] ;-P

1. David 470 profile image82
      David 470posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree with you. A lot of spammy sites and articles end up getting ranked higher and end up hurting legit people....

HubPages would likely have a bettere reputation/ranking etc.. if people did not come on the site and spam and copy others content....

Maybe one day I can write for a fitness or video game company that pays upfront. We have to rely on views and advertising bidding. I mean passive income is great, though. It's just hard to make consistent amounts IMO and experience.

I miss the good old days on here when I could rank better and felt my work   was not going down the drain so to speak.

I need to get more motivated, though. Even though not every single hub is going to get a lot of views, the more we write the better chance we have of one getting ranked higher or going semi-viral.

1. ContriveIT profile image60
        ContriveITposted 11 years agoin reply to this

With all due respect, I know you're proud and have every reason to be however;  you might want to put a shirt on when you're talking to tons of people. ;-P No, offense intended, just friendly advice.

1. David 470 profile image82
          David 470posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not appropriate for HubPages?

30. Len Cannon profile image88
    Len Cannonposted 11 years ago

Man, I dunno, I hope for the best, but I got a bad feeling.  Don't know if I can handle it if I lose all my traffic just after I got it back to a reasonable level.

1. Winterfate profile image93
      Winterfateposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're telling me. I nearly hit 5000 views in a 24 hour period about a week ago, and right now am still holding at around 3500-4000 views per 24h. I'll probably have a crisis if my views plummet post-Panda.

I already suffered through a sandbox about a year ago or so and it wasn't pretty. I went down from 1500 to 350 views. Since I was also working a "normal job" at the time, I stopped writing on this site completely, until suddenly the sandbox wore off and my views started coming back.

1. Paul Maplesden profile image77
        Paul Maplesdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What's a 'Sandbox' in this context please?

Well, a Sandbox is when you have a large amount of content with keywords that normally would land in the top of the search engines, but due to having a young website (in this case, my account was newer) you get sandboxed, lowering your traffic, since Google wants to reward people who have sites with an established theme. Once your site matures, you get the traffic you deserve if your content deserves it. Or, at least that's how it felt to me when it happened. I could be wrong, of course.

To be honest, it could've just been observer's bias, as complaints about sandboxes seem to have pretty much disappeared in the wake of Panda, Penguin and other such Google-bred animals.

31. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

gjorh snvlsee nkklkqa nfjhriq; ivhw bqdjvk bsfue??????? What? hmm

Hmm, is that a cypher of some sort?

1. janshares profile image93
        jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, it's my humorous way of saying it's all Greek to me. I posted a question in Q&A. Thanks for asking Winterfate smile

Ah, I see. I was about to sit down and start trying to crack it. tongue

1. janshares profile image93
            jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lol, lol, lol, I guess I over did it. Off to bed now, good night.

Good night. Sleep well. smile

32. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

I'm seriously thinking of going through my hubs with the lowest traffic and checking whether they have the minimal number of hits from Google (rather than just looking at the number of views listed in the 'account' table), and getting doing something - not sure what.  I have already tweaked & edited, etc., but if low Google traffic on even a handful of pieces is enough to drop traffic on the ones getting good traffic, why mess with them?  These are good and informative hubs, but probably have too much competition or something. 

Up until now, I've been editing things regularly to avoid the idle thing.  Now I'm not sure what to do.  But, overall, my traffic has increased greatly.  Guess I'll see what this weekend brings.  Going back to my bunker now . . .

Low traffic does NOT drop traffic elsewhere.

It is the only measure HP have to guess at what Google are punishing us for.

Low traffic might mean good quality/low traffic or it might mean Google doesn't like it.

Either way it isn't getting traffic so HP can drop it and maybe appease Google.

Our choices, as I see them, are.

1.  Drop the page. Delete it.
      2.  Leave it as idled for a later decision.
      3.  Fix it, improve it. Content and keywords.

Marcy, I very much doubt you have dodgy pages bringing down your overall Google reputation.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
        prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like the a in your avatar Mark Ewbie. Epicness. :-)

Sssshhhh.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61

LOL

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

Thanks for the nice words a few posts back, Mark. I went to check out your 'a' (can we get HP to buy it from you?  I like it better than the one I wear).  And since I needed a sanity and humor break, I read some more if your hubs.  Priceless, as always.  Also voted up to ensure continued top-quality content here.

Any more magnets in the works?

33. Rock_nj profile image91
    Rock_njposted 11 years ago

My hubs are actually having a good day for a Friday.  The funny thing about these Google Panda and Penguin updates is that they have the broad goal of ensuring Google searchers find relevant and good information from their search, and a site like HubPages largely delivers just that, so perhaps in the long run HubPages will do better as Panda and Penguin are refined.

Hmmm.  I'm surprised no ones asked me to just move my content for the weekend until Google goes away again.

2. LauraD093 profile image72

One can hope-Question- I have no current hubs idled except for a couple Christmas themed ones is it below 75 that they should be pulled/edited what have you?

1. LauraD093 profile image72

Sorry folks I need coffee...badly... was up writing last night and am brain dead what I meant to say is 75 or below on a hub when you should pull and edit or delete or if still featured should I let them be?

1. Rock_nj profile image91
          Rock_njposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It would be helpful to know what causes a hub to go below 75.  Does anyone know or know of a learning tool that explains the hub score?

The learning center has a little bit, but only in the most general of terms.  Traffic plays a part, as does a random number added in, for instance. 

You won't find anything of any real value in determining what a hub should score.

2. ktrapp profile image93
          ktrappposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't worry about the Hub score, what I do is look at the traffic stats. Sort your stats by using the 30 day column, and if they're low (with the exception of seasonal Hubs not currently in season), then it's a good idea to see where you can make improvements to increase traffic. At least this is how I select Hubs to improve, which, by the way, can be as simple as having a more search-friendly title if all else is well.

34. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

Before sites get whoopings from G, some usually spike up. Hope not because my views are slowly climbing up.

35. prettydarkhorse profile image61

There are reported movements in rankings which started last week!

If anything, traffic has steadied the past few week - no ups and no downs. 

Now should I be pleased or unhappy? smile

1. SimeyC profile image89

Calm before the storm perhaps!!! Has Panda hit yet I wonder?

Maybe it's the calm.  I'm not going up, so maybe it's the spring/summer doldrums hitting and I should be happy I'm not falling.  And maybe G has decided that I will stabilize that this level and never do anything different.

Who knows?  Reports are still early, but it does appear that the change was made last night/early this morning.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image61

G said we can't feel it at one time, it is slowly climbing up, going down, seesaw or just steady. No shocker this time unlike the first time (Feb. 2011).

36. Anurag2008 profile image95
    Anurag2008posted 11 years ago

Breaking: Google Panda Update is Rolling Out - http://www.webpronews.com/google-panda- … rt-2013-03

I was just reading that and about to post the link.  Looks like it started late on Thursday and is rolling out today.

2. Rock_nj profile image91

I also came across this about a big Penguin update coming later this year:

Although the Panda refresh is coming sooner, a Penguin update is also on the horizon – and Cutts said that it’ll be a big one. Cutts said that it will be one of the most talked-about updates of the year.

http://www.webpronews.com/matt-cutts-pa … ar-2013-03

37. lorddraven2000 profile image91
    lorddraven2000posted 11 years ago

My earnings have dropped royally since this panda algorythm. It is killing me

38. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

Content used to be King.  Now it's ad clicks, I guess.

39. Paul Maplesden profile image77
    Paul Maplesdenposted 11 years ago

How is everyone's traffic doing today? You can get an hour by hour graph of visitors by going to Google Analytics > Audience > Overview and then click 'Hourly' above the graph.

My traffic today is pretty similar to how it's been all week, around 8-10 visitors per hour and in the live stats I'm still seeing a fair view visitors from Google Search.

edit - Darned typos!

Mine is moving around a bit.  It doesn't help having a fair amount of HP traffic recently - so please stop that.

I watch live feed - it's addictive.  A moment ago I was thinking "ooh nice" and then I realised.

Sometimes traffic goes up as they 'test' your site and then...

Kaboom.

I think it will be a long weekend.

2. SimeyC profile image89

Pretty much the same as it has been for the last week...

All of my hubs seem to be getting fondled at the moment. I feel a little sullied. lol

40. jacharless profile image75

Just a heads-up. The Panda has already begun rolling out.
    But two very important notes should now be looked at:
    Panda was a manual update. According to the source, it will now become apart of the algorithm itself, as to, and I quote, "Make it less visible to see on such a large scale".  This then brings the question, will Penguin also become apart of the standard algo after its next roll-out (which is expected directly behind this Panda refresh)?  If yes, both elements will be integrated and ongoing on a per crawl basis. In short, no one will see it coming or going as it is always going to be active.

Panda = reducing Quantity of Content | Penguin = assessing Quality of Content.

James.

Wonder what will happen to all those Panda Update blogs?

+1! Poor fellows are going to have nothing to blog about. Well, there is always Taylor Swift. lol.

What do you mean by 'reducing the quantity of content' - are you referring to hubs (here) that might be idled, or to something else?  Sorry for not understanding it completely - and thanks!

Hi! apologies for the delayed response.
        Panda is a solution designed to reduce the number of pages/links (quantity) in the entire Google directory. It does not necessarily mean idle hubs. It really depends on several elements. The primary ones are clean links, proper submission, overall content size, title, etc. The solution will filter out what it considers to be non-compliant pages. Until resubmitted/re-crawled these pages will be deleted from their directory.

To my knowledge, Idle hubs do not even get out of the gate (are automatically no-indexed) which means the engine/spider does not even recognize they exist. And if previously indexed will be hidden from the spider.

One of the main purposes of Panda is to restructure the hierarchy of web-pages, and their elements. This is actually a collaborative effort between Bing/Yahoo & Google. The old method of indexing is slowly being replaced with a new schema. This new method will immediately identify junk, spun, duplicate, redundant content then categorize pages based on inline data the spider finds. The Penguin portion is designed (like HP QAP) to assess these inline elements for compliance with its protocol. If the pages pass the first turing test (Panda), they then go through a second test (Penguin) are given the green light (positioning in the main search, as well as sub-category searches (images, recipes, books, local)) based on the overall results. This is [purely speculative here] why HP integrated their own QAP and are using mTurk. These two tests help reduce internal clutter, making it easier on the engine. Which really leans more toward the Penguin portion.

this new schema is essentially based on the page structure, inline content, enhancements, links etc found within since the engine has pretty much retired the meta-tag protocol (meta keywords, etc) in favor of specific/targeted hierarchy (Person, Webpage, Creative Writing, Recipe, Review, Book, Video, White paper/Wiki). And with it going "stealth", both Panda & Penguin will work back to back, on a crawl by crawl basis, as part of the entire indexing process, to insure well developed pages and their content are indexed "correctly".

I hope that made sense. lol. Espresso has not kicked in completely.
        James.

1. agvulpes profile image84
          agvulpesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

G'day James, just to pick up a point!!!  which I hope is not 'true'  Surely the above would be regarded as some sort of 'collusion' and be against some 'Anti-Trust' Law?

I do not think it violates any laws per say. Maybe it violates the mark-up language code of conduct but doubt it. They are just reassembling, using this particular mark-up and filtration protocol. Under the Creative Commons license, Bing/Yahoo and Goo are working together on the project. After months of reading over the white paper, am optimistically happy with it, as a web developer. It makes so much more sense. True, it is going to require a lot of work on the developer end, but that's the price to pay for quality.

If you venture over to schema.org, w3c.org or even Bing, you can get information on how engines are now viewing and  otherwise suggesting the formats for page content elements. Also look at Webmaster Tools Documentation.
            James

1. agvulpes profile image84
              agvulpesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ok thanks for that clarification I will do just what you have suggested and catch up on my reading smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
              Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think what agvulpes is questioning is whether it's legal for all three search engines to collude together on the project. Not whether what they're doing is legal, but whether it's anti-competitive for them all to work together.

If the search engines are collaborating on quality standards & on upholding laws about copyrights., etc, they're probably not violating any rights of writers or sites.  If they're somehow agreeing only to rank sites that pay them money, or to fix pricing (for advertisers, etc.), that would be worth investigating.

They have probably had pressure from advertisers who want to know their dollars are being spent to have placements on pages that are appropriately ranked (still appears to be a problem), and that aren't pulling scans of some sort just to drive ad revenue.

If sites like HubPages can truly achieve a predictable and high level of quality and thwart the junk pages from getting published at all, collaboration between the major search entities could help us.  If, that is, they have a collective goal of raising the standards on the Internet.  I'm hoping their collaboration is to set quality standards (meaning they will eventually drive down the amount of awful stuff that's on page one of searches).  The active writers on our site produce good content - that's what will win.

41. aa lite profile image85
    aa liteposted 11 years ago

Aaaarggh My traffic is noticeably up, even though it's friday when it usually falls for the weekend.  I guess that's the Google Bear shaking its head over them, and they will never see the light of day again!

Anyway its been nice knowing you guys.

42. DzyMsLizzy profile image84
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

Grrrr......

I am so sick and tired of Google's machinations.....and I flunked ESP 101....

I currently have over 200 articles; some of which are poems, and many of those have low traffic, as is expected here...those are my earliest posts...before I learned that HP is not a poetry-compatible site.

HOWever, there are many other of my articles that don't seem to get much traffic, either, and if I take them ALL down, I'll probably have less than 100 articles left!!  Frustrating, as I worked hard on all of the pieces; they are completely original, and I did my best to make them educational, as well....I guess people don't want to be educated about certain things....like corporate greed...or maybe, HP being a corporation, felt they had to stick together with other corporations, (even though there is no size comparison between HP and the subjects of the articles--giants such as AT&T and PG&E).....and penalized those Hubs by de-indexing them... 

If I have to start taking down that many hubs, I may as well just leave.

43. leahlefler profile image95
    leahleflerposted 11 years ago

My traffic is also up... and it terrifies me. I feel like I am waiting for the crash.

There is always the chance that a Panda update could actually benefit traffic to hubs.  What if Google elminates some of the lower quality competition and your hubs move up in the rankings?  Frankly, with the high quality content I see here at HP, I think it's just a matter of time before it starts floating to the top of Google.  That's what Panda and Penguin are all about; increasing the quality of the search results.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image84
        DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How can we tell?  Hasn't happened yet....Every "Panda" slap to date has had deleterious effects...

We'll find out soon enough.  The Panda update is happening now according to published reports.  So far, the effects here at HP haven't seemed to be bad.  My hubs are having a good day for a Friday (just one data point).

44. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

My traffic is so-so - nothing has moved much.  I am equally terrified.

Sometimes I think about Google making a mistake and giving me top slot for all my pages.  That would be quite good.

45. mayza profile image57
    mayzaposted 11 years ago

I always hate Panda....

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image84
      DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think it is MOST unfortunate that they chose to name these updates, which are not the least bit cute, after such a cute animal!

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is named after one of the engineers at Google, Panda.  smile   I guess he was a very key player in making it possible.   It is strange now that we have this Panda/Penguin thing.  I don't know how they came up with the name Penguin..
        (The link is an old, interesting, Wired interview with Cutts and Singhal.)

I agree - why tarnish the reputation of cute animals.  I'd suggest something like "Snake," but I like Randy Godwin too much to do that.

46. SimeyC profile image89
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

Here's something interesting - my blog (which only gets about 5 or so visits a day) has had visits at the following time:

8:00PM, 12:00AM, 4:00AM, 8:00AM

Every four hours - very strange!!!

47. Winterfate profile image93
    Winterfateposted 11 years ago

My traffic seems to be stable within that 3500-4000 view range I mentioned a while ago.

*crosses fingers*

More hits would be beautiful, but stability wouldn't be half-bad with my current status. smile

48. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 11 years ago

It's possible it started yesterday afternoon.  When I look at the overall data by hour it seems to dip 3 to 4% than go up a couple percent....Nothing shocking on a grand scale.  The changes started Thursday afternoon.

I still don't think google has digested all of the content changes that have been made across HubPages.  We are working on a few ways to speed that up.  I hope that Panda updates more regularly so that we can see if the improvements are leading us to a better (and more stable) future:)

Thanks for the global look at the initial impact here, Paul.  Can you answer a few more questions (if possible)?

Do you see any patterns in which type of hubs have had dips?

As Google (Cutts) stated, this will be ongoing rather than huge hits at once - is there any way to predict if we might see a steady series of dips as we go forward?  Maybe even based on newer content that slips through QAP, or something?

Many thanks!

49. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 11 years ago

If the stats updating goes down this weekend, there just might be suicides.

HP should do the responsible thing and set up a hotline...

Dare I say it!
      Last Stats 73 minutes ago!
      now its 35 minutes, but stats values have remained the same

2. wilderness profile image95

OMG - I hadn't even thought of that!  I may be the first casualty. sad

50. prettydarkhorse profile image61

We will never know anymore if there is a confirmed roll out as Cutts of Goggle said :

"the update — and future updates — would no longer be apparent as an abrupt change. Rather, Panda changes would roll out over a series of days".

From Google - “I don’t expect us to tweet about or confirm current or future Panda updates because they’ll be incorporated into our indexing process and thus be more gradual.”

But we can monitor our keywords and check Google Analytics.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)