This secretive impeachment should concern liberals and conservatives

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (24 posts)
  1. profile image0
    The Minstrelposted 4 years ago

Running rough shod over the Constitution by making these impeachment inquiries secretive nd cherry picking what they leak will hurt our country in the long run. Having a liar like Adam Schiff run the proceedings already brings great disrepute to the House of Representatives. He is a complete disgrace to the office he holds. By their actions, the Democrats want to dismantle centuries of checks and balances in our republic. They are truly the traitors and should be held accountable by the people and the courts. They are not just hell bent on destroying Donald Trump. They are hell bent on destroying our country.

1. profile image0
      promisemposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Are the Republicans who are on all three investigating committees also running rough shod over the Constitution?

They must be, because they are willing participants in the process.

1. profile image0
        The Minstrelposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I guess the 30 Republicans that stormed the proceedings this mornng believe there is something wrong with the fact that they and the press cannot witness these meetings. What is Schiff trying to hide? By the mere fact that you support this farce is also very troubling. You seem very intelligent and understand what is right and wrong. However, I guess your disdain for Trump has clouded your sense of justice.

1. profile image0

Please address my point about Republicans who are on those committees with Schiff. They are free to speak in public if they wish, so there is nothing to hide.

But they know impeachment proceedings have closed doors because of classified information. It's the same as a secret grand jury proceeding.

Otherwise, let's be realistic. Those storming Republicans were simply putting on a juvenile show for their constituents.

Can you imagine them storming into a Supreme Court hearing if a Trump impeachment gets that far?

You also seem intelligent. But I also think your regard for Trump has clouded your sense of justice.

1. profile image0

Come on, dude. What classified information? It's all a sham to hide the proceedings and to prevent the public from seeing how stupid and corrupt their latest invented crime has become.Those cherry picked Republicans or closet rhinos won't go public with what is happening in those meetings. Well, I guess nothing of substance is happening because it's not going to the floor for a vote. It's all a sham to undermine the credibility of a legally elected president before the 2020 election. If it goes to the senate or the supreme court, it will be summarily dismissed. Whatever the case, promisem, I give you credit for being a loyal Democrat even though you know this recent dog and pony show will go down in flames. They must be desperate. His phone call doesn't even close to a high crime and misdemeanor. He was actually within his metron of authority to ask for this favor. Maybe that is why they asked Schiff to handle this because he is an expendable clown. His made up phone conversation between Trump and Zelensky really cemented his reputation as a complete buffoon.

1. profile image0

If there is no classified information, why won't Trump release the full transcript to the public?

Democrats don't pick Republicans for committees. Republicans do.

I am not a "loyal Democrat". I voted Republican 100% of the time for most of my life until the party moved far right about 10 years ago. I'm now a right-of-center independent.

If you don't believe me, just ask me where I stand on a specific policy issue, not a Trump issue.

Opposing Trump doesn't automatically make someone a liberal or Democrat.

If you truly want a civil and intelligent conversation about the issues, we can both drop the partisan rhetoric and tackle them one at a time.

1. profile image0

Okay. Do you think the president is being treated fairly in regards to this impeachment inquiry?

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
                  Randy Godwinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Did you think the Republicans treated Hillary fairly during the Benghazi hearings? It's the same rules the Dems are using now. Blame the Cons for the rule changes in 2015. Or are you ignorant of the rules change under the Republicans control of the House at that time.  oooooh…...I think you are.tongue

2. profile image0

Maybe the two of us can try to agree on what's fair and avoid partisan rhetoric.

1. Is an impeachment inquiry legal? Yes, it's in the Constitution.

2. Are Republicans on the committees, able to ask questions and speak to the public? Yes, they have been doing so.

3. Should there be an impeachment inquiry? Yes, because the majority of the country wants one and we live in a representative democracy.

4. Should the investigating committees meet behind closed doors? Yes, because there is classified information. They will make their non-classified evidence public when it's time for a vote.

5. Should Trump be impeached now? No, because the inquiry isn't finished, a House vote hasn't taken place and a Senate trial hasn't taken place.

For these reasons, I have to say the inquiry is fair.

If you disagree with any of the above points or want to suggest questions about fairness, please feel free to do so.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image77
                    DoubleScorpionposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I know that I am not part of this....But...I wanted to add my thoughts..

Promisem wrote:

2. Are Republicans on the committees, able to ask questions and speak to the public? Yes, they have been doing so.

3. Should there be an impeachment inquiry? Yes, because the majority of the country wants one and we live in a representative democracy.

4. Should the investigating committees meet behind closed doors? Yes, because there is classified information. They will make their non-classified evidence public when it's time for a vote.

5. Should Trump be impeached now? No, because the inquiry isn't finished, a House vote hasn't taken place and a Senate trial hasn't taken place.

My thoughts on these five areas are this:

I agree with this.

2. Are Republicans on the committees (Yes kinda), able to ask questions (No) and speak to the public (Again not really, they are limited on what is allowed to be released)?

3. Should there be an impeachment inquiry? (No, not enough evidence for an inquiry) Yes, because the majority of the country wants one (This is debatable) and we live in a representative democracy (We live in a representative republic).

4. Should the investigating committees meet behind closed doors? (No, questions that require a classified answer, can be passed to a private setting) Yes, because there is classified information. (A vote should have already happened)They will make their non-classified evidence public when it's time for a vote.

5. Should Trump be impeached now? No, (No, because there isn't evidence as of yet to support an impeachment) because the inquiry isn't finished, a House vote hasn't taken place and a Senate trial hasn't taken place.

If they wish to hold an inquiry, that is fine...but it should involve all parties and be as public as is feasibly possible...

2. Randy Godwin profile image60

Who informs you what is going on behind doors, Dude? You have no clue but are acting as if you do. So, where's your info coming from, Hannity or Limbaugh?

1. profile image0

Where's your information coming from? CNN? MSNBC? CBS?

1. Randy Godwin profile image60

You deflected, but I don't want to be like you and will answer your query. All these and many more, including apparently your go-to sites and network. Notice network is singular.

1. profile image0

Randy and Promisem,
                    Don't you think you are both deflecting from the truth that the whole impeachment inquiry is being conducted in a way that mirrors what they would do in the old Soviet Union? During the Nixon and Clinton impeachment inquiries and eventual vote, both parties worked together to carry out this solemn duty. Everything was open for the press to report on. Why the secrecy? Especially something as important as an impeachment of a president. Gingrich and the majority gave ample space for the Democrat minority to be a part of Clinton's impeachment investigation. The Dems are not doing the same with these impeachment proceedings. What's going on here? Your arguments are all deflective from this real problem: The ones in power rewriting how we should conduct an impeachment in order to favor their own party. This is dangerous for the nation as a whole.

2. Live to Learn profile image60
            Live to Learnposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The ones on the committee have been speaking publicly. For some time. Horrified by the lack of protocol, politically motivated stunts, the refusal of Schiff to allow them access to materials and witnesses.

You guys who blindly support this bizarre walk over the cliff by the democratic leadership obviously don't understand the problem, the stakes for our country, or the basic premise of law.

2. Sharlee01 profile image79
      Sharlee01posted 4 years agoin reply to this

It is apparent the Dem's have broken no laws holding the inquiry behind closed doors. However, in my view, Adam Schiff has proven himself bias in regards to the president time after time and should not be conducting the procedure due to his bias. He is a proven liar, and yes it's very apparent he is leaking to promote his bias agenda. Although I would assume the many American people see he is pushing an agenda. He is  clearly politicking.

I agree with your sentiment, the inquiry should be open. I feel this way due to the importance of this kind of procedure. Impeachment overturns the people's choice,  and could work to overturns a duly elected president. If this impeachment inquiry proceeds to an impeachment trial it will be public, and all that went on behind closed doors will be ultimately revealed. If it does not, one can assume there is no there there.

I also must agree the Dem's are hell-bent and have been from before he won the election to destroy the president. It will be interesting to be able to see the Horowitz report and see the direction the Durum criminal investigation goes. It just may work to prove that the Dem's were and still are hell-bent on destroying the president.

I have good faith in the end right will win over might.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)