DEEP Discussion Yet A-gain

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12681665.jpg
    What is good?   What is evil?   Is there a consensus at to what is defined as good & what is defined as evil?  Is good & evil based upon situation or moral relativity or is good & evil absolutes?

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Women are evil and men are good, Grace. Simple enough!  tongue

2. TessSchlesinger profile image61
    TessSchlesingerposted 4 years ago

I would define good as those actions which lead to the greatest well being and survival for the greatest number of people/species for the longest period of time.

I would define evil as anything that hindered the well being/life of any life force (man and/or animal).

I would define ethics as those rules that ensure the greatest survival and well being for all people.

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You might want to re-think that, for history shows that simply "survival of the fittest" produces the strongest, longest lasting species.

You've also defined any and all predators/carnivores as "evil", simply for eating what evolution designed them to eat.  The bat, clearing out mosquitoes and the anteater would be evil by definition as would anyone taking antibiotics to rid themselves of disease causing bacteria.

I don't think good and evil are black and white.

3. TessSchlesinger profile image61

Nope.

Not survival of the fittest.

Survival of the best adapted.

And human beings adapted by being a social and cooperative species.

I'm betting you never did any science classes at university.

Darwin's theory does not apply to individuals within the species. It applies to the species as a whole. In otherwise, mankind survived because it cooperated and worked together. It's the best adapted to the environment.

When the species begin to fight within themselves, then it is divided, and divided, it falls.

You misunderstand.  Survival of the fittest means that only the strongest and fittest individuals, whether human or other species, survive to reproduce (basic Darwinian evolution).  The human species has taken the route of not only caring for their less able individuals (crippled, low IQ, etc.) but actively encouraging them to reproduce.

That I would not care to live in a world where it was otherwise, the fact remains that it is not in the interests of the long term survival of the species, according to Darwin.  Which means that the "greatest number of people/species for the longest period of time in your post is not being observed and is therefore "evil".

"I'm betting you never did any science classes at university."

LOL  I've thought the same of you, judging from your propensity to debate from an emotional basis rather than a factual one.  FYI, my degree is in chemistry, I'm 9 credits short of one in physics (one class for a year) and one credit hour short of one in mathematics.  Yes, I understand evolution and I understand numbers theory behind it.

"When the species begin to fight within themselves, then it is divided, and divided, it falls."

Not necessarily; in more than a few species, young are destroyed by adults when possible, yet they are successful.  Or were until man came along but then that could be said of virtually everything but bacteria and viruses.  Chimpanzees conduct war between tribes, as do other species  Corals are in a constant state of battle with adjoining colonies.

When it comes down to it, virtually all species will attack other members of that species if food availability is at stake.  They won't (generally) go after their own "family" or "colony" but any member of a different family is fair game if they intrude into the "wrong" geographical area.  Off the top of my head this is particularly true for omnivores and carnivores, while straight herbivores sometimes accept others of their own species.  Humans fit very neatly into this "kill anything that would eat our food or invade our territory" and always have. 

Nor am I confidant that humanity is the "best adapted to the environment" - when our big brains have produced the ability, and willingness, to change that environment to our detriment, and we do so, I'm a little shaky on the idea that we are best adapted to survive.  We're a late comer to our world; only time will tell if the species can survive here.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
        Castlepalomaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Darwin did say, it is not the strongest or the most intelligent that survives.

It is the species that is most diverse and adaptable that survive the longest. Human can learn alot more diversity and better ways than what we are doing right now.

Rather than following these stupid wealthy energy vampires sucking the vital life out of us and the planet.

According to FactCheck, Darwin never said that.  It is not in "origin of species" or in anything else he wrote.  It appears that the comment came from a 1963 speech by a Louisiana State University professor named Leon C. Megginson, according to the website Quote Investigator.

The species most diverse and adaptable.  The only problem with that is that when one is diverse enough, or adapts through physical changes to BE diverse, it becomes a different species.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
            Castlepalomaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I don't give humans as much credit for survival. As much as the many other species that have already lived here for 10s or 100s of millions of years longer.

Surely the immoral jellyfish that's been here for 650 million years has not the strength or intelligent because of no brain or backbone will adapt and diverse itself to continue to out live humans on this planet.

Darwin's concept of evolutionary adaptation through natural selection became central to modern evolutionary theory, and it has now become the unifying concept of the life sciences. If we change from monkeys to human, it's because of a better diversity giving greater chances of survival.

4. TessSchlesinger profile image61

Yup. As I was saying - the best adapted. And human being cooperated to survive. smile

5. Kelly Deary profile image61
    Kelly Dearyposted 4 years ago

I think cooperation is key to survival yes. Humans come together to make life easier but as life becomes easier there is less cooperation, more focus on self and vain pursuits eventually causing the social structure to fall.  Then the cycle starts over from the beginning.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)