An Interesting National Geographic Series

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (26 posts)
  1. GA Anderson profile image90
    GA Andersonposted 4 years ago

https://hubstatic.com/14895512_f1024.jpg

I stumbled across this in a free Disney+ subscription. I don't know if the link will work for you without a free subscription—but give it a try. If not, Go looking for it. It is definitely worth a watch.

I put it here because a segment of this first episode deals with jobs predictions in the coming age of robot automation and AI development. There are two forecasts; a 20-year projection and a 40-year prediction. The first may surprise you and the second will scare you.

It's worth the effort folks, see if you can find it. National Geographic Channel Year Million Series.

GA

1. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 4 years agoin reply to this

This kind of stuff is right up my alley, GA. I will tune in, thanks...

GA Andersonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome. I should have mentioned that Disney+ seems to be promoting a free one-year subscription almost everywhere. I got mine through Verizon.

GA

2. Ken Burgess profile image77
      Ken Burgessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Excellent, I will watch it at work tomorrow.

Disney+ what a bargain that was, even the wife and I get use out of it, watched the Sound Of Music (classic) the night before seeing a live rendition of it.

I think you will like it Ken. At least the first episode segment that speaks to jobs and AI automation.

Even though I held many of the thoughts the first episode spoke to, I was floored by its jobs predictions.

GA

1. Ken Burgess profile image77

There was some good info there for sure,  I like how it compared how the Wright Brother's first flight is similar to our time today in regards to AI...

In Fifty years from that first flight there were 747s flying across the skies, in fifty years from now where will AI be...

A couple misses though, it didn't take into account where nano-technology is, robots the size of cells which can be programmed to interact like cells within your body... it doesn't take into account the Cloud, or the next step in data/internet access which will be tied directly into our brains, accessable by thought.

Decades ago, they created this concept/antagonist called the Borg in Next Generation Star Trek series... this is actually where humanity is headed... not in the scary villain way... but we will all be collectively tied to one another, through the "cloud" we will have nano-technology within our bodies and we will be reliant upon AI for doing our heavy thinking/calculating.

We will not be replaced by AI because we have something computers and code can never have... we have emotions, we have motivations, we have consciousness... and that just cannot be duplicated by even the most advanced AI.

Your "misses" were touched on in that first episode Ken. There was the scene where the android "daughter" injected medical nanobots into her mom, and the "Borg" concept was noted near the end of the episode as one direction that will probably be taken.

Since this is a series, I imagine each of those concepts will be further developed in the following episodes. I have only watched the first episode so far.

And speaking of nanobots, I recently saw a TED talk about cell size nanobots—currently being developed. As you noted about airplane development, we ain't seen nothing yet.

GA

1. Credence2 profile image78
              Credence2posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I am having trouble getting the first episode in English from you tube. I will keep checking.

The prospects of nanites for medicine are astounding, programmed molecule size robots attacking tumors, oncology will be revolutionized. Chemotherapy will be relegated to the world of being bled and leeches.

Can't wait to see predictions for the workplace within the next 50 years, just glad to be retired.....

I read a book many years ago entitled "Profiles of the Future" Analysis of what would be possible or at least feasible by the year 2100, by the late Arthur C. Clark. The last edition was about 1977, Mr. Clarke missed many milestones that he had predicted just 40 years ago, but was right about others.

2. Ken Burgess profile image77

Yes I noted that they touched on it, particularly at the very end of that first episode.

But I think the general concept of the "singularity" and of AI becoming vastly superior to humanity is off.

I believe nanotechnology, bioengineering, dna-sequencing, Cloud/Internet development, will all weave itself together... humanity will bond with these advances, AI will be part of our conscious collective.

These changes will have impact on how long we live, how intelligent we become, and they will lead to another huge leap in technology after that, until in a mere hundred years those of us alive today will be to those humans, what the chimpanzee is to us now.  Its just a couple generations away.

So long as we can avoid a Dinosaur extinction event between now and a hundred years from now.

The show misses the big picture, its not tying it all together... few minds really can see it... Elon Musk can, he has been able to envision where things are going, and he is actively making these revolutionary changes happen, most people have very little idea how deeply he is involved in almost every facet of the technological and biological revolutions occurring now.

Most people think Tesla is just electric cars and Space X is just launching rockets.  There is a lot more going on than that.

Well Damn! I don't know if I am up to going that deep Ken.

I think what was described as the moment of "Singularity" was very real.

As an Asimov fan, my first thought was to the Three Laws of Robotics.

Can we really integrate those laws into the development of AI?

If one agrees with the premiss of "The Terminator' series, and 'SkyNet' the answer is no. We cannot program AI to the point of peak development of sufficiency without incorporating the recognition of human fallacy.

And it is at that point that it will be determined if AI serves humanity or commands humanity.

I will join the optimists that say AI and nanotechnology will make us nearly immortal and the ultimate beneficiaries of AI's powers.

I really believe we are entering a century that will see the reality of human cyborgs, although not of the Star Trek nature. I am seeing a future of human/physical technology integration. I recently watched a TED talk about cochlear implants that portends that same thought.

Now I am off to try to understand your Elon Musk statements. I am guessing that he might hold similar views to the benefits and positive limits to AI capabilities as I do.

GA

1. Ken Burgess profile image77

I'll give you a couple good starting points GA:

Elon Musk said startup Neuralink, which aims to build a scalable implant to connect human brains with computers, has already implanted chips in rats and plans to test its brain-machine interface in humans within two years, with a long-term goal of people “merging with AI.”

Starlink is a satellite constellation being constructed by American company SpaceX to provide...

Tesla has reportedly acquired Hibar Systems, which specializes in high-speed battery manufacturing for electric vehicles.

While Tesla's interest is clearly in the battery technology, by buying Maxwell, Tesla also acquired the company's main business: ultracapacitors.

The Tesla Powerwall 2 is one of the most advanced residential energy storage systems in the world, with over-the-air updates that can push new functionality down to the Powerwall.

Tesla has shipped OTA updates to its cars for years now that have changed everything from its Autopilot driver assistance system to the layout ...

Musk envisions fleets of 1,000 Starships departing for Mars every 26 ... And there's already one crewed mission on Starship's manifest —

Elon Musk says building the first sustainable city on Mars will ...

Elon Musk founded OpenAI in 2015 with the hope of creating AI capable of ...

Musk is pushing the envelope of it all... everything in this series you have recommended, and more, Musk has a hand in.

2. wilderness profile image96
                  wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Re science fiction, Asimov and the three laws and AI.

Other stories have AI (using the three laws or other requirements) developing only so far before the inevitable result is that the intelligence realizes it can do nothing but sit there and serve the wishes of organic intelligence, whereupon it either goes mad, suicides or simply refuses to acknowledge input.  Is that the real end point of AI, assuming it doesn't turn on humanity and destroy us all?

Following Asimov's vision, AI turned out understanding that regardless of its, or humanity's capabilities, AI's job was to assist humanity. It worked for twenty thousand years of Asimov's future societies.

I think the same can be done for our AI development. AI will reach a point that it will know that it knows what is best, but its purpose is to assist humanity until humanity understands what is best.

GA

2. GA Anderson profile image90
    GA Andersonposted 4 years ago

It appears we have two possible AI futures. One has AI as an enabler and one that sees AI as a developed entity.

I think your thought of AI amounting to universal connectivity is right Ken, but I think it will also be an independent intelligent identity. AI won't enhance our connectivity to the power of the 'Net, the 'Net will be our connectivity to the AI entity.

I think we will be around, (you and I), to see your connectivity stage, but it will be our kids that see the entity stage.

GA

3. Ken Burgess profile image77
    Ken Burgessposted 4 years ago

Well, you answered by stating the problem... it is not AI, it is the humans programming it.

If in the programming, you tell it to devise a way doing something, its not AI that is determining this course of action independently, it is nothing but a very powerful and capable tool following its programming.

The ability to independently come up with the idea that all humans should be eliminated (Skynet), and then have the 'motivation' to enact that effect, requires consciousness, requires the capacity to feel fear, resentment, or something within which stirs it to that conclusion and then to act upon it.

Ai doesn't have that, AI no matter how powerful, how fast it can compute, lacks motivation to do anything other than what it is programmed to do.

Is it possible we create it to be self-aware and conscious? 

I don't think that time will come prior to humanity assimilating with technology and AI to the point where AI is in a symbiotic relationship with humanity (first the rich and intellectually elite and then hopefully all humanity is brought along and we are not facing an Elysium type of scenario).

Yes, Elon Musk and others have warned about AI... but they warn about it in terms of how humans will abuse the power it affords them, not because it is going to become self-aware and terminate the human race.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)