We get 60% of ad revenue AFTER HubPages pays its expenses???

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (21 posts)
  1. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 4 years ago

Is it true that the 60/40 model only applies after HubPages pays their expenses? Because I have expenses too... I don't see why we should suffer because HubPages wants 40% to be pure profit AFTER their expenses.

1. profile image0
      promisemposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Maybe I'm missing it, but I no longer see the 60/40 split anywhere in the FAQ, learning center or terms of use.

In other words, we get whatever they feel they can pay us. But again, maybe the 60/40 is hiding somewhere.

That might also explain the drop in revenue that many people are reporting, including myself.

2. CYong74 profile image95
    CYong74posted 4 years ago

Where is the text that shows this, other than a hubber mentioning it in another thread?

3. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image94
    Beth Eaglescliffeposted 4 years ago

If you check out your "Amazon Sales Report" page, you can work out the percentage split between us and HubPages.

Divide "Your revenue" by "Total revenue". I'm still getting 60%, so I assume everyone else is too.

1. profile image0

In my Ad Program report for the last seven days, I was paid on 47% of page impressions. Month to date is only 33%.

In January, it was exactly 50%.

1. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image94
        Beth Eaglescliffeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

No, not the HP Ad Program, that's never been a revenue split. The 60/40 arrangement only applies to HP Amazon sales.

The HP Ad Program is CPM rates (which change according to season, subject matter, and what advertisers are willing to pay.)

1. profile image0

That contradicts everything that a massive number of people have said and read about the revenue split, even on this site.

Then again, maybe we aren't communicating clearly. The 60/40 split refers to impressions. In that sense, yes, the CPMs are variable, but the revenue is 60/40.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off& … amp;uact=5

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off& … amp;uact=5

4. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image94
    Beth Eaglescliffeposted 4 years ago

The links you give are from pre-Maven days. Post-Maven, the HP Ad Program is no longer just from Google, there are many other sources for page advertising revenue. Some of them we receive a share from, but not all. e.g. ASFAIK, those horrible large ads that sometimes cover up half the article (eek!) are not part of the Ad program, so we don't benefit from them financially.

But for a definitive reply, the only people who can give you an answer are staff, i.e. Matt, Samantha, Robin; all other replies are just guesswork.

1. profile image0

Maven bought HP in early 2018. There are quite a few links from within the last 12 months.

So many people still believe we have a 60/40 share. I also still can't find anything from HP or Maven saying that the share is now different.

If you have a source showing that Maven cancelled the 60/40 share, please provide it.

I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm just trying to get facts from reliable sources.

That said, I agree we need a definitive reply from the staff.

1. Shesabutterfly profile image94
        Shesabutterflyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I have a terms of use from 2017 just before Maven bought out HP, it doesn't exactly claim a 60/40 split unless I'm understanding it wrong, but I can include the information. I do not have a later TOS change, if any were made between then and now.

I'm more concerned we seem to be a part of Maven's terms of use. I was not notified of this change, which would have been required per HP's TOS especially if the way earnings are calculated has changed. Under the Terms of Use link I could not find anything regarding earnings at all, so I'm not sure where Solaris found the information she posted on another thread.

I tried searching through Maven, but that site is impossible for me to navigate so I didn't have any luck finding anything regarding earnings.

This is the information pre-Maven from our old Terms of Use.

"HubPages Earnings Program.
        You may elect to participate in the HubPages Earnings Program, which participation will be covered under this Agreement. "HubPages Earnings Program" means that part of the Service that delivers payments to Hubbers for earnings from the HubPages Ad Program, Amazon Program, HubPages Contests, and any other program, service or opportunity HubPages offers Hubbers the ability to earn money.

You may run portions of the HubPages Earnings Program in conjunction with the Assigning Affiliate IDs Program. (the two are different programs). To enroll in the HubPages Earnings Program we require a valid PayPal Account and completed tax forms.

The HubPages Earnings Program is a requirement of the HubPages Ad Program and Amazon Program.

By electing to run the HubPages Earnings Program on Your Hubs, you acknowledge and agree to the following:

Your approval and acceptance into the HubPages Earnings Program is in HubPages’ sole discretion

HubPages may suspend or remove the HubPages Earnings Program or any part thereof (including Your participation in it) at any time, in HubPages’ sole discretion

Your election to run the HubPages Earnings Program may result in additional advertisements being placed on Your Hubs

You may not transfer or assign Your HubPages Earnings Program account to any other person and/or entity
        HubPages Ad Program.

As part of Your participation in the HubPages Earnings Program, as an option You may request to join the HubPages Ad Program. The HubPages Ad Program is only available for Earning Page Views on Hubs. HubPages provides advertisements and/or other revenue earning options directly or from third-party providers, for possible placement on Your Hubs. Hubbers that participate in the HubPages Ad Program will earn from the Earning Page Views on the Hubs you create. Your Earning Page View share will be selected based on a 60% chance of generating earnings for the author. Your earnings will be based on a formula selected by HubPages, in its sole discretion, which formula HubPages may change at any time for Your account.

Valid earnings from activity with the HubPages Ad Program under HubPages Earnings Program will be tracked (as part of Your Earned Balance) and paid to You by HubPages (in accordance with the terms of the Payments section herein to this section). By participating in the HubPages Ad Program, you acknowledge and agree to the following:

Advertisements from the HubPages Ad Program will appear on Your Hubs at HubPages’ discretion (and such advertisements may appear on every page load of your Hub) The third-party advertising, referral, and/or other revenue providers in the HubPages Ad Program will be determined in HubPages’ sole discretion

The type, style, placement, and any other implementation decisions regarding how, when, and where ads in the HubPages Ad Program are placed on Your Hub will be determined in HubPages’ sole discretion

Advertisements for both the Affiliate IDs Program and the HubPages Ad Program may appear on Your Hubs simultaneously

HubPages Ad Program may place unpaid public-service, charitable, and/or default/placeholder ads on Your Hub

You will not engage in any fraudulent or deceptive practices with respect to the use of HubPages Ad Program

HubPages makes no guarantee that the HubPages Ad Program will be operational at all times

HubPages may require Your participation in specific portions of the Affiliate ID program (and meet other requirements) in order for You to be eligible to participate in the HubPages Ad Program (including specific subcomponents thereof)."

Again this is from February 5, 2017. I don't know if there were other changes after this before this possible new changes...But it looks like what Beth said was right. There were always 3rd party ads on our articles that we cannot earn from.

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 4 years ago

I'm certain my low income at present is due to traffic numbers and CPM. I can't work out any kind of way to blame the people at Maven or Hubpages for either of those things.

I assume CPM is based on what advertisers are willing to spend, and I think we can all agree there is a global situation outside the control of any of us, and that the United States economy is currently in the dirt, and as the largest economy in the world, so too follows every other nation's.

So advertising isn't going to be paying much right now.

As someone pointed out on another thread, people are sitting at home right now with nothing to do, and though they aren't making money (for the most part) - they may well be shopping and so amazon sales *might* be okay for some of us for the time being.

The low traffic is entirely the work of Google an American corporation with anti-American ideals.

Best case scenario I can come up with is the Federal Government breaks the Google monopoly some kind of way, or even better- someone comes up with a superior search engine, and everyone starts using that instead.

6. Don Bobbitt profile image83
    Don Bobbittposted 4 years ago

YES! FACTS! At this time in our evolution to Maven, settle us all down with the one thing that matters; FACTS!
    DON

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I do believe we have a right to know just how the earnings are split between the writers and HP. Perhaps Robin would be in a position to explain the present deal we have since the changes to the TOS?

I know the mods are watching this thread so they should pass the word on, that is, if they aren't already aware of it...which I highly doubt.

melbelposted 4 years agoin reply to this

There was a reply to the breakup in earning in another thread, it was a non-answer though.

7. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 4 years ago

It doesn’t say anything specific. Honestly, I don’t care what Maven “use cases” earn. I care about how it applies to HubPages earnings.

8. theraggededge profile image95
    theraggededgeposted 4 years ago

Where did that other thread go?

It's still here. big_smile
      https://hubpages.com/community/forum/34 … -community

(I don't know why Melbel copied and pasted that quote rather than just putting up a link.)

I didn't realize links were allowed in the forums. This is actually the thread I was referencing: https://hubpages.com/community/forum/34 … -told-matt

1. theraggededge profile image95
          theraggededgeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that's the one. Thanks. I still don't know what a 'use case' is big_smile Any ideas?

My guess is that 'use case' refers to the use of advertising companies other than Google Adsense. I seem to remember Paul saying that one of the reasons for merging with Maven was to take advantage of other advertising streams and affiliate links.

2. melbel profile image93

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)