My Hubber score drops every time I interact with my popular thread?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Kyler J Falk profile image90
    Kyler J Falkposted 3 years ago

It would seem that HubPages frowns upon the ongoing interaction within my popular thread, and I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this sort of trend within their own threads?

The responses are relevant, engaging, and ongoing; so is this HubPages trying to say, indirectly, that it is time to let the thread die? Surely, there is some sort of active decision that has been made concerning ongoing threads of different topics affecting your Hubber score algorithm both positively and negatively?

The things I get positive score for are silly and I'm beginning to figure out the pattern for it, but it's too redundant for me to want to take part and the score too pointless for me to care to take part. However, the dropping of the score is intriguing, because I lose a point for interacting with my popular thread despite its ongoing popularity, whilst I can go gain a point on someone else's popular thread with a meaningless comment.

Any insights, condescending remarks, or something else you wish to add of your own observations? When the heck is HubPages just going to come out and explain how the score actually works, rather than just saying, "DoN't WoRrY aBoUt It, It IsN't ImPoRtAnT," never?

If it didn't serve an important purpose for the site, a purpose they continue to dismiss with nonsense, it never would have been programmed to begin with. The algorithms are obviously complex, too complex to dismiss as a simple and whimsical feature for fun.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
    PaulGoodman67posted 3 years ago

It isn't important. And HP have said that in the forums in the past. It's supposed to go up when you do the right things and go down when you do the wrong things, but it's a blunt instrument. It will also go up and down without you doing anything at all. If someone's score goes down really low, say below 40, then they are maybe a spammer or plagiarist, otherwise you should ignore it.

Kyler J Falkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I've seen them say it and continue to say it, as well I have seen people continue to parrot it; however, what they have never explained is why they even continue to maintain it and integrate it into every part of their site? Seems like a lot of work for a useless tool, one they claim is unimportant, and if it is worth maintaining and updating the code around it then it is worth an in-depth explanation.

It's the depth of the code, despite how unimportant it is said to be, the calculations behind it that really intrigue me. I could care less what my score is, but I'd love to know why it is such an unimportant feature has so much work put into it on the developers' end.

3. profile image0
    Marisa Writesposted 3 years ago

You say, "seems like a lot of work for a useless tool", but what makes you think the scores require any work at all?    The work happened years ago when the site was created, and as far as I can see, the scores haven't been changed much (if at all) since then.

They always used to say, "we know the scores aren't perfect but we can't justify the cost of changing the algorithm right now".  I'd say that's still the case.  They can't justify the cost of removing the scores, either, because they'd have to introduce something new to replace its role in penalising spammers (i.e. those who score very low).

I know they require work because they keep it up to date and compatible with anything new they put into the site. In order to alter the site, which seems to occur slowly, they need to alter the code of the site and sometimes the algorithms of the score as well. Then again, they could take the time to break it down if it is, in fact, so simple it doesn't even need altering (I highly doubt that's the case).

I mean, maybe if I posted this under the programming section this would be more relevant a question, but I'd rather the developers just give a definitive answer on the system rather than repeating the same brush-offs over and over. As for spammers they seem to get removed just as fast as they appear, due to the report feature rather than the score feature.

It's also pretty easy to abuse the score system, as when I posted this I was 84, and I've been focusing on raising back. Probably be best to just remove the system altogether if it is so pointless and easy to manipulate.

1. profile image0
        Marisa Writesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I didn't say it was simple.  The algorithm is complex but my understanding was that the bulk of the work was done right at the start and it hasn't had much, if any, attention since an overhaul several years ago. 

How many new things have they put onto the site since you've been a member?   I've come back after years of absence and I don't see any substantial changes to anything.  Bear in mind that the Hubber score is connected to the main HubPages account, not to the niche sites.

When I say spammers, I meant people who write spammy or low quality articles.  There are measures that happen when a person's hubscore falls below a certain limit - I forget what they are, but I assume HubPages finds that useful. It's the main reason for the HubberScore's existence.

The algorithms behind the score aren't just free-floating code that fluctuates based on predetermined actions. Therefore any change they make, usually a daily/weekly/monthly update of code for the security of the site, has to take into account the algorithms and other code that includes the scores. 

Basically, I'm going to be obsessed with the inter-workings of Hubber scores until they take the time to break it down. Mainly, I want them to admit that they actively use the score to devalue certain writers (they won't) because I've been following a certain few throughout their forum doings who made the claims, and judging by the patterns I can actively recognize the score is both actively, and redundantly generated.

The community deserves an in-depth explanation, if not for explaining this, "unimportant feature," then to address the concerns of the community making these claims so as to quell the rumors. Unless the silence is meant to give credence to the claims, in which case all I have to go on is the evidence that purposeful manipulation of scores is regularly practiced.

It's more complex than it seems, even to the point of being manipulable to those who take the time to observe its intricacies.

1. profile image0
            Marisa Writesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Fair point, I hadn't thought about security updates, but I'm still not sure if that would require much tinkering with the HubberScore. 

However, a bigger question is, can you explain what you mean by "devaluing" certain writers, and what impact that has on those writers' earnings potential?

I cannot, because I can only go off of what I can actively observe, that is where I need HubPages to come in and quell the rumors. As for devaluing, I'd like to save that for either a HubPages staff response, or the article I'm going to write on the topic.

2. lobobrandon profile image88
            lobobrandonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Your score is going to be close to the average score of your hubs. Forum activity, etc. helps it rise a little, but I'm guessing your average hub score is 81 or 82.

1. theraggededge profile image98
              theraggededgeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Needs a few 100s in there.

2. Kyler J Falk profile image90

I've found the average Hub score means nothing to the Hubber score, and if it does mean something it is so marginal as to be negligible. Due to my poetry, my average is in the 60's. The more I post poetry, the lower the average gets, and it makes me laugh. If all that was taken into account were my other niche Hubs besides Letterpile, then it'd fluctuate near the 90's for average Hub score.

The most common score gain/score loss seems to occur when commenting on a "foreign article" in a niche site, commenting on a new forum post with a "relevant" or "irrelevant" comment, and then posting at least one Hub per day. Something I have been testing, however, is editing old Hubs and submitting them; when an editor bites the hook the score shoots up to its peak point. The intricacies really come in as it concerns the report, denial of comment, and mark as spam system.

It is most definitely also time-based for recalculating redundantly, however, and will regularly fluctuate with no activity based on certain guidelines. The intricacies of it absolutely fascinate me, and obviously a lot of work went into it that would be worth telling people about for the purpose of educating them on their preferred medium.

I'd also like to write an article on the topic, but I need at least one HubPages Staff member to weigh in on it directly in one of my threads for me to choose the direction. I've gathered enough evidence to make valid claims that they actively devalue people of certain dispositions using score, the scores can be actively manipulated to increase, and the site would be better off hiding visibility of the score on the user-end but keeping it for "spammers" on their end. 

If they don't respond then I'll continue to analyze it until I've perfected the manipulations of the score, which I'm pretty close to, and then I'm going to tell everyone how to artificially stimulate their score.

1. lobobrandon profile image88

All I can say is good luck. I think you are giving yourself too much worth if the staff are going to individually do something to lower your score. There are thousands of hubbers out there.

I'd never purposefully make such a claim, but others do regularly. However, the report system itself says they manually review every report which invalidates that statement by your own logic, unless HubPages claims are to be disregarded as the useless brush-offs they seem to frequently be. We shall see how it all plays out. Either way I'm going to develop a nice little article on Hubber scores.

Since you are collecting data, here's some more:

Many people on the topical forums have been banned from posting on the forums based on the report sent in, some for as long as 3 whole months. Quite a few of those people have a score in the high 90s.

2. lobobrandon profile image88

Btw, Kyler, I know what kind of posts you are referring to. The staff just ban people who make factual claims and use so-called high-level words such as intellectually challenged. You can use simple English and call someone a nut and you will not get banned because it seems like calling someone a nut is very normalized.

3. Jodah profile image90
              Jodahposted 3 years agoin reply to this

This isn’t the case because my average hub score is 74 and my hubber score fluctuates between 91 and 93.

Interesting.

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
            PaulGoodman67posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Conspiracies everywhere. It's unfortunate that some people get fixated by the hubber score. I have more than one account and different scores on each. It doesn't make any difference.

If only we could all be so carefree and superior like you as it concerns the score, the world would be such a better place!

4. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

I do not think that participating threads got anything to do with hub score.

the most important thing is you should see your earnings increased or not.

i had noticed my earnings increased from zero cts to 8 cts when.i answered 20 threads yesterday

although  my hub score dropped from 85 to 81, that does not matter.

As has been expressed by staff and Hubbers alike, the score is unimportant, yes. However, I'm fascinated by the intricacies of code and algorithms, and on HubPages the score system has no definitive definition. I hope to be the first to offer an in-depth look into it, or to get the staff to offer an in-depth look into it.

As for earnings, though it isn't relevant to this thread, those come so long as you put in the work. I know people in the 60's range making payout.

Participating in threads has a lot to do with the score, but I'm saving my breakdown of how the score system works for an article I'm going to write after I figure out how to fully manipulate the score system. 

Take notice how I started the day at 87 but as of typing this I'm at 85, I'm dropping it purposefully only to bring it back up later. As of now I'm working on discerning the redundant timing of the algorithms.

1. Jodah profile image90
        Jodahposted 3 years agoin reply to this

My score drops by a point or two every time I publish a new hub. It usually rises again in a day or two however.

I had mine immediately shoot up by seven the other day upon posting a new Hub, also passed the QAP in less than ten minutes. Was very interesting.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)