Improving Hub Articles with Photos and Videos

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Miebakagh57 profile image70
    Miebakagh57posted 3 years ago

Three photos are a minimum requirement for an article at HP. The use of one video I think is not idea. Let's brain storm, right?

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

No, there is no three photo requirement. Some articles are fine with one. It depends if the topic is visual or not. There's no point shoehorning unnecessary images in unless the article is very long or demands illustration.

I rarely bother with videos because sometimes they glitch and people who read articles do so because they, like me, find it quicker to read than to watch. However, if an article relies on a specific procedure, then a video may well be helpful.

1. OldRoses profile image93
        OldRosesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  I write about gardening so I aim for 3 or more photos because they clarify what I am saying about whatever plant I am talking about.  It makes sense that other topics that are less visual need fewer photos.

Miebakagh57posted 3 years agoin reply to this

OldRose welcome home. A story less visual or more visual can mean many things to different minds. How do you explain that? How do one explain visual writing? Descriptive in detail? Thanks.

It's about the topic. Think about these:

Legal advice
            How to write an article
            A political opinion piece
            How to draw a dog
            How to bake a birthday cake
            How to plant beans

Picture an article about each of those subjects. Three of them don't need more than one image (though, of course, it's at the writer's discretion).

The other three depend on photos to add information - those three are 'visual' topics.

Bev, that's okay. I agreed that a polical opinion takes a photo or not. But a topic like bean will be more illustrative and pictorial. Thanks.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image70

Okay, Bev, at the Hupages learning center, I've noted 3 pix as a minimum. In effect, you are saying a writer in his opinion, discretion can do away with them? Depending on the description he/she treat the article? I am yet to see any story or poem without an illustration.

Miebakagh57, I'm sure it was a suggestion, not a rule. A thousand word article about accountancy doesn't require more than one image - and that's just to get attention at the top of the piece.

A three thousand word article about keeping rabbits would definitely need at least three photos and probably more.

It's what feels and looks right for the article. It's possible to break up the text with other elements, such as call-out capsules to give a visual balance.

Bev, thank you. It's great. It is homely.

3. samanthacubbison profile image84
        samanthacubbisonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

There is no rule—it's all about what works for your article! I agree with @theraggededge. If the topic isn't visual, I think using generic stock photos just adds clutter to the article.

2. manatita44 profile image72
      manatita44posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I don't see it that way, but I will say to talk with writers whose scores are usually in the nineties. I personally am more of a servant and strive to inspire with good thoughts. God hasn't given me the competitive Spirit nor the one that seeks to get on with diligence and accuracy. I am more 'feel from the Heart' and less mental.

That said, I'm good at logic. If your photos do not disobey Hubpages rules, are original or well sourced, then you are on your way. You have spoken of writing up to 2000 words, so yes, three or more photos are useful.

It helps if you utilize them well within the text capsules and your paragraphs are about six or so lines long. Easier to read. Polls and videos, one or two, will also help you, but relate them to the subject matter.

What you write should appeal to the reader, be impactful and flow, like a river. Some topical areas are health and social factors, emotive concerns or creative writing, like Bill's. Emotive concerns can be 'how to deal with fear and loneliness; the subject of prejudice in society ...

Writing styles are unique and it may be useful to read some top American and English Writers. This will help your work  even in a subtle way. One or even two videos are fine and please ... please re-read the piece. God speed!

Manatita, okay, impactive and flow like a river. That great for my target 2000 words plus. Thank you and remain blessed.

1. manatita44 profile image72

'Impactful and flow, like a river.' You see what I mean? Re-reading is essential for those who wish to excel. - Manatita

2. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 3 years ago

I agree with theraggededge. Articles don’t require a minimum of three photos. I’m sure that HubPages wants our articles to look visually interesting instead of being of a wall of unvarying text, but there are multiple ways to create interest.

Some of my articles on the network sites have only two photos because they were the only suitable ones that I could find, but I tried to add interest to the page in other ways. I remember a former staff member here saying that one photo was fine for some articles while others required more.

Alicia, let's have you thoughts on 'visually interesting.' I learnt if a story is too long say 2000 words as Manatita says, could a single picture be an achieve? You own us the explaination.

Take your time when you write and also re-read. Evaluate with a logical mind also. Don't rush!

I'm here because you seem to express a desire to improve your work and by so doing, your Hub score also. To do this, you will need an attentive and discerning mind and much diligence. God speed!

Manatita, thank you.

2. AliciaC profile image93
        AliciaCposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Miebakagh. I was thinking of things like point form, numbers, tables, callouts, and H3 headings. They could make an article look visually interesting. It’s very important not to overuse these techniques, however, or the article will look like a big mess. Using too many of them, cramming them into a short article, or using them where they aren’t appropriate would be a bad idea.

Alicia, got it.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

I've never heard that 3 was a "minimum" for photos. Most of the articles I post use just one, or two at the very most.

FatFreddy, at the hubpages learning center it was so stated. Thanks.

4. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 3 years ago

I probably use excessive numbers of photos in articles, however the best performing ones have 20 photos or more.

eugbug, okay, sooner or later. I'll visit your page for a proof.

5. Eurofile profile image96
    Eurofileposted 3 years ago

I enjoy photography and find it useful to add photos to my travel articles to illustrate what I am writing about. But I agree that not every article requires photos. It depends on the subject matter.
    I rarely use videos. I thought I might be able to use my own, so I took some last time I was travelling, but then found that I couldn't upload them.

6. Isivwe Muobo profile image72
    Isivwe Muoboposted 3 years ago

I read an seo piece one time that stated making use of at least three resolution images, a video as well as a few other tips, boosts the chances of your articles ranking higher in searches.

I feel there must be some truth to this as I have seen some positive results from search engines on a few of my articles, even after just 24 hours of publishing them.

7. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 3 years ago

I wonder does Google give brownie points for increasing the number of photos and then deduct them if there's too many?

Stands to reason. I rather suspect here that the key thing is presentation --making the work visually interesting, impactful and of use to the reader. So if you had 6 photos in a well organized article: right paragraph size, enough text capsules, videos, poll ... about 1250 - 2000 words, it should not matter.

All should relate to your theme of 'How to Cool Down on a Very Hot Day' or whatever, then it should be fine. If, however, you have six photos and just one poem, well ... you can see the imbalance, no?

These guys are interested in creative writers, who can make their visual presentations worthy enough to please an international audience and their paymasters.

So yes, brownie points may be considered, I feel. You want them to be as happy with what and how you write; how you present it to them, like a great meal. Delicioso!

8. profile image55
    Archana Gurunathanposted 3 years ago

I agree.  I write about gardening so I aim for 3 or more photos because they clarify what I am saying about whatever plant I am talking about.  It makes sense that other topics that are less visual need fewer photos.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)