question re: adam and eve

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

one thing i always wondered...we were always taught that adam and eve were white...all the images of them showed them with fair skin, blue eyes and long, billowing blonde or honey-colored hair.

so, i always wondered how exactly did all the differnet races and colors come to be?

http://i33.tinypic.com/14ln0qq.jpg

also, why do they have belly buttons?

are there scriptures we can read for answers?

thanks very much!

1. Paraglider profile image89
      Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Belly buttons aside, why is Eve discreetly covered? Adam is naked but happens to be holding some strategically placed foliage, but Eve is definitely wearing her sylvan bikini briefs. At this point in the story, they are not supposed to know they are naked.

Therefore we must conclude these are not the real Adam & Eve wink

1. Lady_E profile image61
        Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. Just a picture drawn by a Naive person.

2. Paradise7 profile image69
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

People have color in skin due to an adaptation in tropical and subtropical climates to the ultraviolet radiation in the sun.  The pigmentation in skin helps block the radiation, so people in hot climates with lots of sun have more pigmentation and darker skin. 

I always imagined the Garden of Eden in someplace very warm and tropical. 

I think Adam and Eve were black, and the artists got it wrong, just like they goofed up on the belly button thing.

Cool pic, though.  Very cool.  cool

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Paradise. So it could also have been that Adam and Eve were black to begin with, and because some of their progenitors stayed out of the sun, their skin bleached out through generations. I mean think about it. It's a crap shoot as to what really happened. It's a scientific fact about getting in the sun and the reaction of melanin in the skin, so it's pretty much a done deal to me.

The Bible says Cain was cursed with a dark skin. Whatever. Even if he was, that story is the best tool for racism ever invented by man. Pathetic. To me it just shows how full of error such writings can be. It's better to take them for their symbolic importance than literal.

Belly buttons!?

Perhaps you could write a hub about that. I'd like to read it.
      smile

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hee hee...is that a Hub Request? wink

the garden of eden is thought to have been somewhere near the Persian Gulf, so i can't imagine them being blonde and blue-eyed as depicted in art.

and i agree...being "cursed with dark skin" is racist, no doubt.

thanks you guys.

2. ionerice profile image61
      ionericeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The location of the biblical Garden of Eden was in Mesopotamia, present day Iraq

3. UltimateGamer profile image60
    UltimateGamerposted 14 years ago

Or it could just be some wonderful fairy tail people want to believe? Just a few hundred years ago people believe there where many gods. One for the sun one for love one for the earth and the planets where named after them. hhmmm now that we know that's not true perhaps this god was put into place just to answer all of those yet to be uncovered questions out there so people can feel better. People love to have an answer for everything it makes them feel secure. Thus when we cant explain something we put god there.

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh! How very simple of you!

4. UltimateGamer profile image60
    UltimateGamerposted 14 years ago

lol, I figured I would catch some flak for that but that is what makes a discussion interesting wink

5. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Wow, really surprised no one directed you to the story of the tower of babel in the bible. I don't know the exact location or verses off the top of my head but that is one explanation for the many races we have today.

6. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

well i am familiar with the Tower of Babel and was taught that it was about "scrambling" man's speech and language, but nothing else was ever said about it.

7. profile image0

He also scattered them abroad the lands at this time. It is written that he felt the culmination of the people as one and speaking one language was a uprising against him. In order to keep this from happening he made it so that men would not understand one another any more and because they could not speak and express themselves they were scattered across the land to build new nations so that they would one day come together as one again and be whole in the rapture.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

These are the solutions a man would take, not any god. The explanation is as crazy as the adam and eve story. God screws up, can't handle his own creation, so has to create new societies to overcome the problem? What would change? Mankind remains the same no matter where he is scattered to.
      Adam and Eve's children inhabited the earth through incest?

It would help to explain the human condition though, madness comes with inbreeding. smile

1. RooBee profile image81
        RooBeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile
        Maybe I finally understand how this story makes sense!

8. profile image0

Never said it made sense that is for sure, lol. Just was trying to direct her to an answer as to where we got the differing nations from or where the bible says we got them from.

Kinda like the bellybutton thing that suggests that Adam and Eve were born not created.

9. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

When I think of Adam and Eve, I've always thought of dark hair and eyes though most pictures I've seen do portray them as white. Kind of strange, I always thought biblical people were middle Eastern looking.

As for the 'who did their children marry (or reproduce with)', I've heard the whole incest didn't pass on mutated genes yet theory because the race and environment wasn't toxic yet. But weren't there other practically human other 'animals' around by then? Like the Neanderthals and other such creatures? I would think that's who they 'mated' with.

Yes you are right. The biblical escape clause is a whole lot of rubbish dug up from another bit of scripture that introduces "the sons of men."

1. profile image0
        TMinutposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Biblical escape clause? You mean from the bible or what people use to avoid one of these conclusions? Sorry to be obtuse, but to which point are you referring - the incest one or the almost human one?

The incest. smile

10. ionerice profile image61
    ionericeposted 14 years ago

The building of the Babylonian Tower of Babel was use as an excuse by the Hebrew buybull writers as an explanation to why we have different languages and eventually different races throughout the world.  This Tower was a Ziggurat Temple of worship that was around 300 feet tall.  They had no intensions of trying to reach the heavens as claimed by the Hebrew writers.

According to the story gawd came down and confound the Babylonians languages which meant that all that understood one another were scattered in groups all over the world. As they relocated their skin, eyes and complexion changed because of their new environment.

What doesn’t make sense to me is that if Gawd was angry over a 300 foot Temple he should really be pissed when he see airplanes flying 30,000 feet in the sky.  He should also be pissed and angry at the fact that there is a space station, satellites, and the Hubbell Telescope all floating around in the sky.  But then we must remember that Adam and Eve and most of the tales in Genesis are all hijacked myths.

As were many of the other stories. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)