Every Democrat Should Vote for Amy Coney Barrett's Confirmation

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (44 posts)
  1. crankalicious profile image88
    crankaliciousposted 3 years ago

If I were voting, I'd vote to confirm Amy Coney Barrett for SCOTUS.

I'd ask her some questions about her views on various settled cases, but that is not a litmus test for her confirmation. Her political views should have nothing to do with her confirmation. The only question that matters is whether she's qualified or not.

She's clearly qualified.

She should be confirmed.

We need to get far away from politicizing our SCOTUS nominees. They're either qualified or they're not. Nothing else matters.

1. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I bet a lot of 'normal' folks, (except Cred ;-) ), agree with you. I know I do.

GA

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree as well - I said elsewhere that the only two things that matter are whether she is qualified and competent and whether she has an ironclad, unshakable understanding and acceptance that her job is to decide law, not morals, not what is "right" or "good", but law

She will not be a legislator; she will be a judge, and as such will not make the laws herself.  Good laws, bad laws, good results or bad results from the law; her job is to determine law

2. Credence2 profile image79
        Credence2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

You mean rightwing oriented "normal folks" don't you?

I never said that she was not qualified, my concept is solely about the timing of the hearings and the confirmation process.

No, I don't agree with her legal bent, but I did NOT say that she was not qualified.

Soooo . . . you would vote against her confirmation for political reasons and not her qualifications? (that was a rhetorical summation)

Political orientation seems to be more important to you than integrity and qualifications. Is that a fair statement?

And no, I meant "normal" folks, regardless of political orientation. The only possible reason I can see for her disqualification is political orientation—and that is not a characterization of "normal folks" for me, even though it appears to be so for you.

I understand your zeal for your philosophy Cred, but, recently, it has caused you to adopt the perspective of the deepest of mud-dwellers. You seem to have tossed aside any concept of right and fair in favor of whatever it takes to win. Good luck with that. Because this is not truly a 'life or death' situation, I would rather lose with integrity than win without it.

GA

1. Credence2 profile image79

I did not say that I would vote against her, but I probably would abstain.

Why couldn't McConnell wait until at least the election to determine if Trump is reelected?  Then, for your information, I would confirm Barrett  based on her qualifications, nothing partisan there, right?

I told you from the beginning that McConnell, the poster boy of the Republican Party,is a genuine scoundrel and would take advantage of Ginsberg death to fill a seat that he himself said in 2016 that the seat vacated by Scalia should be filled by someone other than Obama, based on some sort of BS rationalization that does not hold water, and that he certainly did not apply when it was not to his advantage.

But, you thought that THEY would take the high road, but did they?

I don't understand you, Right and fair means nothing if it is expected from only one side. The side that you have buddied up with are doing ANYTHING to win. I don't like to lose particularely when the loss is because the other side cheats. What am I to do?

You have more closely associated yourself with Republican Party that rountinely wallows in the mud, while Democrats are to balance their halos and present their garments without spot?

But somehow you still only see one side of this.

"I don't like to lose particularely when the loss is because the other side cheats. What am I to do?"

Answer: behave in a rational and ethical manner.  Do NOT follow the unethical behavior you so abhor.  ("You" meaning everyone, not just you.)  And when you do you can hold your head high - higher than the opposition that cheats and votes to gain political power than for the good of the country.  And when THAT is accomplished your party will gain power automatically, for it was that disregard for the nation that put Trump in power: when you (your party) climbs out of the muck, leaving the other one behind, you will find voters noticing and acting on that notice. 

But first you have to climb out of the muck, not remain there in a fruitless fight that the voters do not wish to see or participate in.

Wilderness, I am reminded of a passage from the film "JFK"

"We were all raised with the idea that "good is its own reward", but as we grow we find that good does not always prevail because it is a threat to power. And that accumulation of power has to be fought at great cost."

We are beyond the point of folks even having any real choice to select the more virtuous course.

You may well be right - I often despair, thinking that you are.

For myself, though, that is insufficient reason to condone and support what is going on in our government, and it is certainly insufficient reason to actively participate in the activity we so abhor.

To my eyes, it's like being bullied in school.  We can't stop it so we bully an even smaller child in response.  Not only does the problem remain unchanged we actively spread and grow it.

"To my eyes, it's like being bullied in school.  We can't stop it so we bully an even smaller child in response.  Not only does the problem remain unchanged we actively spread and grow it."

No, Wilderness, you deal with the issue the way I did back in the day, you learn to fight the bully. Otherwise cowardice, assault to your physical person and self esteem will haunt you for many years, afterwards. And as most bullies are cowards and scoundrels at their core, they will flee from you and look for easier marks if you are not afraid to resist. You want to stop the bullying not and replicate the practice, and harsh measures are sometimes necessary to do this.

2. GA Anderson profile image89

"Why couldn't McConnell wait until at least the election to determine if Trump is reelected?  Then, for your information, I would confirm Barrett  based on her qualifications, nothing partisan there, right?"

This and your entire comment are about rationalizing putting politics before integrity. As long as voters hold your perspective the situation will never change. It will just continue to get worse until there is no possible lower standard to fall to.

You are right that I more closely align with Conservative values, but that those values are more closely aligned with the Republicans than the Democrats is only coincidental relative to any party affiliation.

GA

2. peterstreep profile image81
      peterstreepposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Her political views should have nothing to do with her confirmation.

should....

but is the high court in the US not voted in and installed by the political institutions... And therefore the SCOTUS is in itself a political tool?

In real-world terms, you are right, but our goal is to keep it as least political as possible. I think we have succeeded for the most part—as in no party affiliations or agendas. It is the ideologies that are reflected by political selection.

GA

The D's will tell you the "agenda" from Trump is to get rid of Roe v Wade and the ACA.

From the Republicans, yes, from the Justices, no. I don't have a feeling that it matters to Pres. Trump's agenda?

GA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)