Selflessness is Unexistant

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)
  1. cruelkindness profile image63
    cruelkindnessposted 11 years ago

Aren't we all selfish.  We are born to experience life as an individual.  In the end you will only have you and your experiences.  I try to be selfish with good intent to not hurt others.  If i'm not doing it for me than someone else is using their selfishness. 

So isn't it the unavoidable to be selfish?

1. stopalltheclocks profile image63
      stopalltheclocksposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree! Every 'selfless' action usually ends up benefiting you or there is a unconscious reason why you are doing the 'selfless' deed. Like you said, it's unavoidable!

2. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nonexistent is the word you are looking for.

3. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes, humans are selfish by nature.  However, people have been strongly inculcated that to be selfish is......BAD, even E-VIL.  Well, selfishness isn't bad nor evil.  Selfishness is GOOD, even GREAT.  One has to be selfish to establish autonomy.  One has to be selfish to have a great sense of self.  One has to be selfish to establish boundaries & to be successful in life.

People use the word selfish in order to manipulate others into having a poor sense of self.   There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong w/being selfish.   Selfish people have a high respect for themselves.  They REFUSE to permit others to take advantage of them.  It is the unselfish people who get DUMPED upon.   Unselfish people aren't respected because people view them as suckers.   Selfish people are THE HAPPIEST people in the world.  If I am not for myself, then nobody else will be.  Only stupid people are unselfish!

2. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

I agree that we are born selfish and are selfish at our core. But I do not agree that selflessness is nonexistent. I think as we mature, through having healthy 'give and take' interaction with others, we become less selfish and more selfless. We grow empathy and compassion as we develop socially . . . . provided that we received decent childhoods and all the love that comes with it. hmm  Unfortunately, it does seem that most people remain/are selfish.

3. Sherry Hewins profile image91
    Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years ago

I do not think that being selfless is a good goal. If you don't look out for yourself, who will? That's not to say we shouldn't all have empathy for other people. Doing good deeds makes us feel good, so it's a win/win. We can help others while feeling better about ourselves.

I don't think it's healthy to always put others ahead of yourself. Even when people do that, I think it's still not really selfless, because they feel good by being the martyr.

1. gmwilliams profile image85

Exactly.   My mother was a martyr.  She ALWAYS put others before herself.  People saw that & TOOK ADVANTAGE of her.   She always stated that she treated other people better than they treated her.  Well, it's HER fault.  She was the doormat who permit others to $%^$ on her!   I am quite the opposite- I look out for myself & believe that others should do the same!  I am far more respected because of this!

1. Castlepaloma profile image77
        Castlepalomaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Need a balance of self serve and giving to others. All you have in life, is what you give away. If you don't have money, you can not give it away, same for love.

2. lovetherain profile image80
        lovetherainposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Looks like she was trying to gain attention/and or sympathy through perceived weakness. I have a sister like this, and I can attest that in reality she is just as selfish as anyone else. And possibly even more self-centered than normal.

My mother let people walk all over her.  I think that it is the OLDEST CHILD SYNDROME.  Oldest children usually have no boundaries- they want others to know that they ARE THE RESPONSIBLE ones who NEVER complain.   Oldest children don't know HOW TO SAY NO yet they complain that others DON'T RESPECT them.

Yes, setting boundaries is really important

Yes it is.  However, in large families, there are NO boundaries.  In such families, children live in the open.  There is NO PRIVACY.  People from large families have NO BOUNDARIES like normal people who were raised in small families.  People from large families have NO SENSE OF SELF.  They view people who have a SENSE OF SELF as SELFISH.   OLDEST children in LARGE FAMILIES are constantly being dumped upon & they accept it  as they feel that it is THEIR DUTY to be serviceable to THEIR FAMILIES.

In large families, oldest children are cast aside as used napkins until they are deemed serviceable by their parents & younger siblings.   Oldest children in such families are slaves & nothing more.  When their service is over, they are again cast aside.   Children in large families aren't raised with individual dreams & desires like normal children in small families.  They are raised like a group.  Groupthink operates in large families.  They are told NEVER to be individuals as such is selfishness.  Observe people from large families, they have NO SENSE OF SELF.  They feel as if they are NOBODIES WITH NO WORTH.  They feel that others are MORE WORTHY THAN THEY ARE.  WHAT A SAD LIFE!

Families house in the 50s had three times more members of their family in 1/3 the space. Birth is shrinking a great deal today. More of the problem is housing too large and the house owns most of us. That's why I build tiny house communities self substantially vegetarian gardens and fungi to replace meat. My parents were not really caring growing up Yet, later Train them better and the whole world also became more of my family.

4. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

Would one trust selfish person? I have been there when the decision was made. Not in my best interest. Most people that I have known
    and know are not selfish at all, and if they were I wouldn't know them.

5. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

I am astounded that so few understand what it is to not be selfish, shallow or apathetic... sad
    I believe the art of humility should be every genuine person's foundation and guiding motivation.... it surely can not be that hard to selflessly give one's selfish traits away... smile

6. cjpooja26 profile image62
    cjpooja26posted 11 years ago

I don't think, this kind of human being can exist and if he's great with some extraordinary powers.

7. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

People have died to protect others.  That is not selfish.

8. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

I observe that selfish traits surface most while driving. It is so sad when someone cannot simultaneously slow down and move to the side on a narrow street so BOTH of you can pass safely. sad Or the person that must be first and won't let you merge in; or the person who bangs on the horn because they are impatient. I think it's time for me to write another hub about this with the focus on selfishness.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)