Most Americans Want Voter ID

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Readmikenow profile image94
    Readmikenowposted 2 years ago

I agree with voter ID.  It seems that 80 percent of the nations want as well.

"Amid plenty of partisan rancor over election integrity and voter suppression, a new national poll indicates that most Americans support requiring voter identification to cast a ballot and easier access to early voting."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/widesp … ional-poll

1. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Fine, but the IDs are to be made available with wide access to those that do not have them at no cost. In Texas, if gun permits are acceptable as identification so should be student ids issued from state public universities.

Readmikenowposted 2 years agoin reply to this

You have to provide a lot more identification to get a gun permit than you do to get a student ID.

Permitting a gun permit makes sense.  Have you ever tried to get a gun permit?  I had to wait, get a background check, fill out detailed form, provide more than one type of identification, etc.

Yeah, a gun permit for identification makes sense where a student ID does not.

Perhaps, Mike, but they do not require all of the background information for a gun permit and etc. as opposed to a standard driver's license which should be an acceptable form of identification.

So, we need to determine what is an acceptable ID and why. We won't just let Republicans run things as they invalidate forms of ID that are most likely held by those that they don't want to participate in the franchise.

All forms of state issued acceptable ID must be identified in advance and made available free of charge for students and all others if their present IDs are not sufficient. The left will not tolerate political skullduggery in regards to this process. We will make a lot of trouble for the rightwinger if everything is not above board. You can bet, we are watching....

Do you concur?

Cred,

"if everything is not above board"...I've been involved in too many elections to not let this give me a chuckle.  I know Democrats cheat every election.  Many times, the ONLY reason they've gotten people elected is because they cheated in many different ways.  You report it, and the local Democrats on the election boards ignore it, justify it when they know you don't have the money for a court challenge.  I've experienced too much.

But as far as determining acceptable forms of ID...yeah I agree. But, just because you have a driver's license doesn't mean you are an American citizen.  Many people with a driver's license aren't American citizens.  I've had relatives who were not American citizens and were able to get a driver's license. 

So, a passport?  That would work, but that costs money to get, so many people won't get it.  It has to be a form of ID that PROVES citizenship.  I know a passport does, but I don't know what else.  We even have people serving in our military who are not citizens.  So, military ID won't work.  I wonder what for of ID would meet this need.

Funny you should say this about Democrats, I say the samething about Republicans and their voter suppression tactics.

We need to find a form of identification available at no cost to any citizen. A social security card with number and a picture identification. It is not rocket science and neither your side nor mine is going to play footsie with this issue. Instead of "souls to the polls" it will be souls to the Social Security office, instead. Our leaders pushing the drive to get everyone to the polls will see to it.

We both know that we are going to have to find a satisfactory compromise.

2. Sharlee01 profile image81
            Sharlee01posted 2 years agoin reply to this

A while back I read Georgia's new voting laws. "Georgia law (O.C.G.A § 21-2-417) requires Georgia residents to show photo identification when voting in person. This website is just one part of our comprehensive outreach and education program to ensure that citizens are aware of the photo identification requirement. Electronic versions of publications and press releases pertaining to this requirement are available here as well. If you have questions, need more information or have difficulty getting a free Voter Identification Card, you can contact your county registrar’s office or the Secretary of State’s Elections Division at:"

Many states at this point are opting to follow Georgia's new laws.

As we will "make trouble" if citizens are able to vote without proving their citizenship...  In my view, we need to prove that we are American citizens to vote, and I appreciate laws that make our elections fair, and free of fraud.

Do we need to have opposite sides when it comes to fair voting laws? The media has caused this dissension. It's uncalled for. One only needs to have a look at some of the different states voting laws, to see this is a man-made raucous. Most states have pretty much the same laws.

And, in my view, there should be no impediment for any citizen over the age of 18 to vote. I see the Right endless complaints and unjustified fears, but creating a lot hassle regarding these basic rights will not do. I want one picture SS card that is available to everyone that would satisfy my need that every eligible citizen can access the ballot while meeting the concerns of Rightwingers about proof of citizenship and all of that...

1. Sharlee01 profile image81

I think your idea is great. It seems a simple solution to the problem. Too simple for Washington to impliment.  Actually, it would make absentee voting easier for most. Just produce the card one time when first requesting for an absentee ballot, and request all further elections ballots be absentee mail-ins.

2. crankalicious profile image88
          crankaliciousposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Unless both of those require proof of citizenship to get, then neither should be allowed. Certainly, a student ID does not require proof of citizenship.

I'm all for voter ID, but what is going to happen when Republicans lose another election is that they'll claim those who voted used fraudulent voter IDs.

2. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 2 years agoin reply to this

How about if we set the cost the same as a gun permit?  Or a drivers license?

Absolutely not, Wilderness. Voting is a right, driving is a privilege, there is a difference.

Any charge for a ID to permit someone to vote, I see as the equivalent of a poll tax and that is unacceptable.

2. Sharlee01 profile image81

I feel due to the problems we had trusting the last election, leaving so many Americans in doubt of its legitimacy we need tighter election laws. We need to assure all American's our voting system has good fraud protection. So, I am for voter ID. Most states offer ID cards free to individuals who are 65 or older or who are blind. Cards are also free to those who have had driving privileges terminated due to a physical or mental disability. In my view, no one should be charged for an ID.

Another reason we need IDs to vote, we have literally millions of illegal citizens in America, last estimated 22 million, and I am sure this number is higher. It's well apparent nothing is being done about our immigration problem. This problem has been going on for decades, and it is clear we have no solutions in sight.

IMO it would serve us well or be wise to demand voter ID at this point.

1. crankalicious profile image88
        crankaliciousposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I'm fine with voted ID cards, but just because people mistakenly think there was fraud in the last election without any proof doesn't mean it's a reason for doing something. Just like because somebody believes vaccines cause autism without proof means we should stop taking vaccines or because somebody believes smoking doesn't cause cancer we should start smoking.

3. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I don't have any problem with voter ID to vote at the polls, yet it should not be so cumbersome that it slows the actual voting process preventing everyone an opportunity to vote. Thus, it must be streamlined some way.

After looking at Voter ID Laws provided by Vote.org and reviewing through the different states requirements it to a degree is overwhelming while baffling. Thirty six states require ID at the polls today. I couldn't find a source for states requiring ID for mail-in ballots, yet presume it is the same states.

As noted these are state requirements following along the lines they individually determine them. I see no way to standardize it nationally as we see with the current voting bills in congress today will go nowhere.

To me the perfect solution is the requirement of ID to register to vote such as birth certificate and social security number then issue a voter ID number and card, though maybe not with photo. In other words cut it off at the pass. Yet, that is looking forward while what about the current voters. Do they start over and register again?

2. emge profile image78
    emgeposted 2 years ago

Voter ID cards are issued to all in Singapore and everybody is happy.

1. Sharlee01 profile image81

I guess you did not her... At this point, some feel we do not need to identify ourselves when we vote at a poll. And we all of a sudden need to provide those that wait to vote water, as well as food... Oh, and then there are those that feel one can just walk up register, and vote on the very same day, without proof that one even is a citizen. Yeah, sounds crazy, but believe it...

3. Don Bobbitt profile image85
    Don Bobbittposted 2 years ago

From my perspective, I can say that, YES, We need to move towards a more standardized voting system in America. 
    And, I want to pint out that we already have a tool that could be upgraded once again which could be used to prove you are a citizen of the USA; and that is our SS Card.
    Add a picture, such as what we already have with our state driver's license' and the voting site computers can access an already existing ID system. That's really all they need; 1- name and birthdate, and 2- whether the person is a citizen. THAT's ALL WE NEED to manage voting.
    DON

Excellent suggestion, but, is it logical?  Hundreds of millions of new SS cards with pictures on them would have to be issued.  This would probably result in a huge price tag as well as a logistics nightmare.  Maybe, a SS card AND a driver's license, which is required where I vote, would work.

Mike, It is logical enough when we look at how contentious this issue is, as I don't trust the Right and their solutions no more than you trust the Democrats and their solutions.

We really don't have a choice, we can't have so much rightwingers rabble storming the Bastille again.

Not everybody has a driver's license, so I go for one ID, don't leave home without it....

4. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 2 years ago

With so many COVID deaths in your country, it will take a lot of effort to update voter registration and prevent genuine ‘election fraud’.

You are right.  I believe it is an effort worth making.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)