How to "Get Ahead" in America

Jump to Last Post 1-40 of 40 discussions (90 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
    Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago

... Is "getting ahead" just a dream at this point? How can we help ourselves, and each other, if the possibility is no longer a reality? How can we get it (the possibility) back?

You might look past such questions, but if you think about it, they're probably the most important ones to find answers to.

PS If you do not believe in the concept of "getting ahead," heaven help you.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

PS This is also a Social Science topic.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

By "getting ahead," I mean to say, finding your own way to seize opportunities in order to

- earn a living
    - make money   
    - increase profit

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

... it's not rocket science!

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

Some might advise not to acquire wives/husbands, children or pets, (not necessarily in that order,) so as not to be burdened with excessive expenses.

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

The majority live paycheck to paycheck and never get ahead of their expenses.
    This lifestyle is actually the cause of homelessness when eventually body, mind and enthusiasm break down.

Young adults really should consider the inevitability of old age.
    Yet, the necessity of having to retire someday is the last thing on their minds.

Truth and inevitability are often very hard to accept ...
    and plan for.

1. MizBejabbers profile image87
      MizBejabbersposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Some really good points here, Kathryn. The first 20 years of my adult life I had a career in broadcasting that I just loved. It was fun, but I was living a life of never getting ahead. The home I owned was substandard, the autos I drove were older outdated models, and I struggled to even pay the dues on the professional organizations in which I was a member. In my early 40s I took stock of where that "joyful" fun career was getting me. That's when I went to work for the state and found a new career that paid better and offered a pension. I spent 30 years doing something else that I loved and retired with a fat pension.
      Some people do just the opposite. They leave a hectic corporate life and settle down doing something less stressful, but not as well paying. My son is one of these. I just hope it pays off for him and his wife.

Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years agoin reply to this

smile will it?

in SOME other way?

actually in, truth, I like free time and less stress more than money. neutral

I wonder if another question is this:
        Is it FAIR that some people can get ahold of money easily through inheritance, or gift, or lottery winnings
        when
        other people .....

do/can not.

1. Kyler J Falk profile image89
          Kyler J Falkposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes, successful people work to establish a legacy/dynasty of some sort. Life isn't fair all the time, but it is equitable for most. People who disagree with legacies/dynasties are stuck in a short-term mentality, and would shift stances the second they taste real success (establishing a legacy/dynasty worthy of continuing for generations).

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

Basically, those who "fail to plan, plan to fail."

8. Kyler J Falk profile image89
    Kyler J Falkposted 2 years ago

Sounds to me as if you have your mind made up on the topic already, and anything anyone else may add is absolutely useless, though I'm sure you'll shift tone or double down after I bring attention to it. Nonetheless, I'll take the bait and give you my take on it.

As time goes on we are facing an increasingly disparaging economy, and by that I mean an economy that favors the younger generations less and less. This is why we are currently seeing a downward trend in investments, an upward trend in inflation, and an ever-increasing average age of our population. Things are becoming more difficult, more demoralizing for the younger generations, and it can be hard to get off of the starting line when the geezers are judging you for being there right out of the societal womb.

Personally, I don't feel that way as I've surpassed most individuals who deign to speak on such situations, but I'm actually in the minority. My "privilege" in life, just to pander to that side of the argument and my own at the same time, has afforded me the ability to go from nothing to everything with relative ease. However, "luck," is also a big factor for me because I just happen to know a lot of people with the ability to move me upward in life.

For those young people who cannot coast on their, "privilege," they are facing requirements such as bachelor's degrees for entry-level data entry positions. They are unable to leave their parent's homes unless they move to some ghetto, off-putting, unfeasible situation that most wouldn't dare even consider outside of desperate situations due to inflation in the housing market. Even further, the amount of social issues arising is unarguably causing a hostile situation for every single person in America, but especially those who are not established as of yet.

No one truly believes that, "getting ahead," is just a dream, and that's an unfair, loaded question as proven by your responses to yourself. However, those who are educated know that, "getting ahead," requires many more resources these days than it once did, and to try to invalidate or diminish that in any way hearkens back to my statements about social issues.

The real question we should be asking: "What's the solution to getting ahead?"

The answer: Education reform.

Our systems of education are outdated, and the focus needs to be put to practical, utilitarian knowledge. I could write a novel straight out of high school, perform stoichiometry, and even build you a solar powered go kart. The thing is, I didn't know how to balance a checkbook, set up utilities on a newly purchased property, play the stock market, prove to an employer that my qualifications were worthy of their meager positions on paper, nor anything else that matters in the real world.

As college educations beyond undergraduate degrees become more demanded for entry level qualifications, it is time to look at the education system and put the blame where it belongs. No more education for profit if we can require young, intelligent, capable, and qualified individuals to go into poverty just for attempting to become qualified to, "get ahead."

Then again, this is just one facet, and as you can see I could keep going, but I won't because this is already verbose and waxing loquaciously.

smile smile smile

My mind is never made up. I love responses. I kept up mine in case no one else joined in.

9. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

THIS is what is not fair:

"...the amount of social issues arising is unarguably causing a hostile situation for every single person in America, but especially those who are not established as of yet."  K.F.

That's a matter of fighting for what is right, and a reason I believe we are heading for a pseudo-civil war. I'm prepared to fight and die for what I believe is right, but I would much prefer we all come to the negotiating table. It would seem the negotiating table is where we gather to hurl insults and inflammatory sentiments at one another, though, so get your firearms and train while you can.

Better to be an armed prophet, than to be an unarmed martyr. Even "God" sees the world this way, and as far as I know you're an Abrahamic adherent to some degree.

I'd add that fighting for what is right also must encompass being able to see where your enemy is coming from.

It always fascinates me how intertwined everything is. It's so horrendously complex, twisted and mangled, but at the same time life is truly a work to be marveled.

without it, (the strife and the need to fight) we won't evolve.
        I suppose. neutral

I evolve every day without strife and fight, so I've always looked at forced interconnection as the real issue. We don't teach people to self-sustain, we force them to assimilate. Back to education reform and social issues we go.

10. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

Time To Evolve! big_smile

well, that will take a fight too!

people are dragging their feet on this education issue.
    or are they?
    - what do we know?

11. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

"forced interconnection" ?

12. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

"self-sustaining" requires networking. Forced or otherwise, I would say.

13. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

- what would non-forced interconnection be?
    I suppose it would involve the joy of communicating with fellow man for the benefit
    of self
    and others?

Non-forced interconnection would be focusing more on the individual, and less on the compulsory, outdated societal expectations that lead most people into lower-class lives by society's standards.

expectations which are:
        compulsory
        outdated
        societal

expectations

unreasonable expectations.

no regard for the needs of the individual
        no nurturing
        no consideration of innate potential and interests
        no guidance toward the development of natural abilities and brilliance
        no utilizing the child's ability to absorb the environment around him in an intrinsic way: on his own terms, in his own ways.
        no inspiring of new interests through an attitude of positivity and enthusiasm

14. Kyler J Falk profile image89

Propaganda is put before practical knowledge. Fitting square pegs into round holes is put before figuring out what shape an individual actually is. We expect the baby birds to be able to fly before they've even been fed properly.

Self-sustaining is practicality, skills that life actually requires. Forced interconnection is being required to study stoichiometry when your goal is to write dissertations on penguin breeding.

By the time you graduate high school you should be able to prove, on paper, your aptitude for any entry-level position. Forced interconnection to me is what makes $40k+ in debt a mandatory situation for jobs that will be outsourced to robots soon, and also why I invest in hedges that fund automation research that is already replacing real people at an alarming rate.

I think I'm confusing my meaning by trying to make everything pithy and concise.

15. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

Surely some teachers are guiding their student's in a way which fosters joy of life and learning.

Of course, but what is the marginal minority in the face of the majority? Sweeping reform is necessary.

In this age of technology, what do you envision??
        Children are becoming quite smart as far as using all the screen devices now available.
        They seem to have incarnated to interact with virtual reality. Maybe its like being on the astral plane!

What is their reality and what will be their reality be as far as

s u r v i v a l

on the earth/physical plane?

I don't think they are here just to survive on the earth plane. I think they are here to change things as this earth moves into a better plane. I think they can teach us older folks (parents and grandparents) a better way, if we aren't already too set in our ways.

You cannot say for sure. They come for many reasons. Some just to enjoy the ride on earth. It's upon to them to survive and we do need to help them in the ways we know best. If they can improve on that, more power to them.

16. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

Robotics and coding is big, graphic arts is big, using apps, ordering goods, enabling themselves to live without owning cars or houses. Maybe they will find simpler and more efficient ways to live using all the technological tools and applications they have access to. Maybe, once they get past the first 18 years, they will have lives full of self-learning based on all the avenues of information on the highway of infinite facts ... They will also have an infinite variety of exercise programs such as "The Mirror" and techno-amusements at their finger tips. The designing of such devices are providing jobs galore. As are all sorts off solar energy inventions and electronic devices. Many will just be working for Amazon and playing games. Maybe that's enough for them.

There are already jobs galore, which is why we have an, "employment crisis."

On one side you have the jobs no one is willing to take because the work is rough on the mind and body, and the pay isn't worth the damage it causes. Then on the other you have jobs a monkey could perform with minimal training, but you need a minimum of a bachelor's degree to get your foot in the door. On increasingly frequent occasions, you have businesses like Amrock going out of its way to diversify its employee base regardless of qualification.

That's a point I'd like to touch on, the diversity problem in America. When a company like Amrock goes out of its way to hire based on diversity, you begin to see a breakdown in function and denial of jobs to those better suited to the jobs. They hired a 60+ year-old who didn't even understand how to minimize an internet page when told to do so, and still this individual is working there having to be taught in baby steps.

To make matters even worse, this individual does not speak fluent English in a position that demands it from every worker, but only maintains the standard for white employees. I wish I could say that this individual was an isolated incident, as well, but unfortunately the complaints are growing. The complaints became louder, reaching my ears from outside the company when they began to "cordially require" their workers to attend BLM seminars where they were told to allow their coworkers to check their white privilege.

Sweeping reform is necessary, or else the groundwork of America will continue to shift drastically, and the majority of the youngest of us will remain in growing problematic straits.

That's a sad story about a 60+ year old who couldn't minimize an internet screen. That's a problem with diversity. I don't know how old you are, Kyler, but I'm a senior citizen. I probably was working a computer before you were born. All we had were dumb terminals connected to a mainframe. I cut my teeth on a PC that had a 20 mb hard drive and drop down commands. Then a few years later, I got to learn the new Windows. WOW!  I have friends older than I am who are computer proficient and can knock out PowerPoint presentations with the best of them. One computer savvy lady is in her 90s. So I can't imagine hiring a person like that just to have diversity because thee are plenty of us old folks who are computer proficient around. Double dumb! This is exactly why minority hiring quotas were done away with a few years ago. Self imposed diversity just to be politically correct may be the downfall of some companies.

I didn't mean that to sound like an attack on the elderly if that is how it came off, it was meant only to be criticizing contrived diversity. I've worked with more elderly individuals whom the younger crowd couldn't even hold a candle to in my life, and I've worked with a majority of what most would call, "diversity hires," who couldn't perform their jobs properly even after a year of intensive training. It is becoming increasingly concerning and common as Southern California becomes less native, to put it sensitively.

Relatively soon I think many states will switch from English being the native language to Spanish, or other languages, and like SoCal we will see a majority of the small businesses refusing to hire English speakers.

17. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

This revolution will require a shift in general consciousness.
    Consider the word "privilege."
    Privilege equals some Advantage.
    Now, if whites have certain advantages, doesn't it stand to reason that every other race has certain advantages too?

And in general, humans have advantages over animals.   (...well, this could be debated, which I say just to be funny.)

What are the human advantages/privileges we all (humans) have?

Once we become aware and once we start acting upon our human advantages on a universal level, then we can start to recover from the disadvantages which, frankly, we impose upon ourselves! (Even, the so-called overly "privileged." Which is to say, those who are accused of having innate and/or built-in advantages!)

We ALL self sabotage.
    Once we start embracing our individual greatness es, our uniqness es, our abilities and willingness es to contribute in self-chosen ways to the whole, the revolution will have begun.

Humans will flourish to the extent that the individual is valued over the group and the tyrannic pitfalls of group-think / unrealistic / inappropriate / expectations.

18. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

I believe every human needs to count their advantages and their blessings.
    smile

For instance, whoever has a washing machine and dryer is very lucky.
      Whoever has access to washing machines and dryers is also very lucky.
      Whoever has their own laundry to wash is very lucky.
      Embrace your good luck, I say!

This is another way to get ahead in America.

19. Kyler J Falk profile image89

In an age where every powerful influence is choosing to be performatively polarized, I don't see anything other than the bumpy road of conflict ahead. Direct action is the only thing I see bringing any level of change on small scales, but the majority of those who could bring change think avoidance of the conflict will solve it, thus we are stuck in a loop of large scale damage and small scale fixes.

We'll see how it all plays out, but I'm putting my money on increasing volatility and biting vitriol. We haven't even begun to see the real implications of the displacement of populations based on racial factors, a fresh issue that is set to grow long into the future and is already causing issues.

20. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

the racial divide will be seen for what it is:
    uncomfortable.

Most ignore it.

"Most ignore it."

My point exactly, and so it grows larger. The driving forces of the divide push harder, and the more-sane ignore race as the valueless divider it is. It's time it be addressed by everyone, and we stop pandering to and placating the real problems.

I disagree. if we ignore it, it will go away.
        Unless the issue is pushed upon us by the forces that be ...
        but they, (political forces,) will be seen ever more clearly and with growing resistance.

Or I could be a Pollyanna. sad

... it be "addressed by everyone, and we stop pandering to and placating the real problems."

H O W ?

Literally just explained how with my real-life example from Amrock. Illegal immigration and a failing legal immigration system would be another great example. Ethnic and racial tensions growing both at the social and financial levels, such as LA being bought up by Chinese gangsters and the Mexican cartels going to war with them for territory (an issue yet to be discussed meaningfully in the media).

We've ignored it, it's gotten worse, and we are suffering together for it with no respite in sight. The current argument being presented for CRT is a social movement that arose because no one acted upon the findings of scholastic CRT in a meaningful way. Yet another example of the failure of everyone to act, and an adherence to willful ignorance of the problems.

"The government is choosing the state over its people," as is to be expected, but lasting and impactful change can be made at the civilian level if we all began to stand against the dividing forces. It has cost jobs, lives, and spirit, but only because the majority is choosing ignorance and passivism.

21. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

You say,
    "No respite in sight for these social issues:
    Illegal immigration
    failing legal immigration system 
    social racial tensions growing 
    financial tensions growing   
    LA being bought up by Chinese gangsters
    Mexican cartels going to war with Chinese gangsters for territory."

You provide an example of the failure of "everyone" / the populace? to act:

"The current argument being presented for CRT is a social movement that arose
    because no one acted upon the findings of scholastic CRT in a meaningful way." 

How do you know?
    Diversity courses were required when getting my teaching credentials in college.

"...and an adherence (I do not know about this.) to willful ignorance of the problems."

"The government is choosing the state over its people ...

" ...but lasting and impactful change can be made ... if we all begin to stand (HOW?) against the dividing forces."

It (what?) has cost jobs, lives, and spirit, but only because the majority " (WHICH majority faction) "is choosing ignorance and passivism.

I still need convincing.
    What action would correct this problem of warring racial factions and all the other issues you mentioned.

You are talking about some sort of revolution in general consciousness or some sort of grass roots movement?

Mostly a generalized revolution in consciousness, an admission that these problems cannot be ignored. If our government can't bring themselves to address the problems in a meaningful and lasting way, then it is up to the people to bring about that change.

I hate BLM as an institution due to their anti-white agenda, but I wholeheartedly agree with the reason they exist. We have racial problems that affect all lives in the world, and the government would rather instigate these issues for political gain than actually solve them. The racially-driven violence we have been seeing, the protests and riots instigated by racial factors that were borne of increasing divides, these are all made worse by passivism and willful ignorance.

These issues will not stop growing without an admission from all sides that there are egregious problems on all levels. People need to risk losing their jobs and stand up to those claiming they are inherently guilty because of the color of their skin. Individuals need to gather in solidarity, point their fingers, and raise their voices toward the self-proclaimed heavens where our leaders line their pockets. Most of all, we all need to step back from discussing the media narratives, and instead focus on what we can discuss within our community and spread a narrative that actually applies to those we interact with daily.

I think that's the true issue, as well, even I suffer from debating the media narrative when it doesn't even apply to the reality of my, and the lives of those in my immediate community. That takes the discussion back to our influencers. Ugh, such a mess with so much to correct, but I think it starts with a return to community values, rather than forced interconnection.

22. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

Maybe in some areas. but not in others. Some areas / locations were actually good examples of homogeneous cohabiting of all races. Maybe some particular locations need remedial efforts of reform and nurturing.

I would like to know specifically what areas those would be.

I'm sure they can be listed by someone.

Even then, I believe the problems presented in those particular areas can only be addressed by the people that live there.

My point exactly, those areas are usually small towns with very little outside influences, there are many places across the Midwest that exist as a functioning amalgam of every type of human, even criminal. "Outside influence," and, "forced interconnection," seem to be the biggest issue.

A return to community values is what is needed. I think as we forcefully connect everything to one another we are seeing a disconnect from immediate community. This is no more apparent than when looking at social media usage versus the reality of having in-person friends. People are increasingly claiming they no longer have much of a social life outside of social media, and a few friends.

The pandemic (or plandemic depending on who you ask, lol) was a huge contributor to further increases in division and violence both macro and micro. Crazy times, man.

Yes. 

lol:  plandemic  lol

23. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

They are crazy, if we buy into them. We don't have to. The answers are within us.

And think about it ... when the sun is down and the world sleeps, things are not so crazy and actually, are pretty darn peaceful!

"When the sun is down and the world sleeps, things are not so crazy and actually, are pretty darn peaceful!"

That sounds like one of those self-deprecating, anti-human arguments people bring up any time climate science is discussed. The world isn't a better place in lieu of humans, it is even more cruel and unfair when left totally unchecked and unhindered. We can do better in that regard, and we are shifting efforts slowly to doing better overall while going backwards in other realms.

The active approach, the small people in lieu of their leaders taking action, appropriate action, that will be the undoing of the chaos. Time for some trickle-up socioeconomics.

24. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

PS We can adapt, and we will.

The strongest / calmest do.

25. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

no. "When the sun is down and the world sleeps, things are not so crazy and actually, are pretty darn peaceful!" means we give ourselves a break from our own madness.

I saw a limb and I want to go on it.
    It deals with self-depreciation:
    I'll show you what THAT really is and the consequences of it.

26. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

The charred limb of BLM:

The real meaning of Black Lives Matter is this:
    Black lives do not matter to the police officers who kill them.

But, do some people feel, in general, that their lives do not matter?

If so, this is very sad.

All people should feel that their lives matter.
    But to who?
    Friends, relatives, partners, siblings, parents, God? 
    One's very own Self?

27. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

There is very possibly a cry,

"Help Me make Me matter to Me!"

... A cry not comprehended amidst the noise of anger, violence and chaos.

28. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

How is it that some black lives, really, in the final analysis, did not matter to certain bad-apple policemen?

Because the individuals they were arresting had lost their own sense of value to themselves, long-ago, in most instances.

I sympathize with both sides as it concerns the community as a whole, and how the police handle/overhandle situations.

On one hand I've had to deal with the scum of the earth in other countries, and here at home, then on the other I've had to deal with a lack of justice against said scum where I was made to suffer then created suffering in turn. It is difficult, but possible, to handle even the most dangerous of situations with a cool head and attention to appropriate levels of force. Someone choosing to devalue themselves, even try to martyr themselves by your own hand, is no excuse for the way many police treat them.

I touched on this topic in articles I've written:
      https://hubpages.com/politics/This-Is-W … he-Trigger
      and the more important one,
      https://discover.hubpages.com/politics/ … sive-Force

All lives matter, and that is why we have these issues, but it is important that we stop turning these matters into violent social movements and instead address the real issues. I blame the media and their purposefully inflammatory racial framing of every story, their desire to stir up chaos and stories utilizing performative cruelty, for the way everyone viciously attacks one another at the social level. Then I blame a lack of proper employment training and opportunities on many other issues.

Gang violence has measurable, observable, empirical factors that influence it; police brutality in its many forms is exactly as addressable. The real problem is choosing between the state and its people, and the government will always choose the state before those it governs. Reform will be expensive, and why touch a system that isn't technically broken?

Social issues are addressable without actually having to solve them in the short-term, and I think the government would rather not get rid of their highly useful political devices they use to plant empty promises upon in order to rally their base. This goes back to my original argument, time to point our fingers at the self-proclaimed heavens where our overlords line their pockets.

could you explain this last sentence more clearly?

This one(?): "This goes back to my original argument, time to point our fingers at the self-proclaimed heavens where our overlords line their pockets."

If so, this is a statement that acknowledges that the government has the power, the tools at its disposal to solve many of the issues we face today, but it simply isn't cost-effective by their standards. We value protecting the state over the people, because technically the system is not broken and in no need of drastic fixes. However, the longer you let a small part of an interconnected machine remain malfunctioning, the more the machine breaks throughout over time, and the only ones to blame are the ones operating the machine.

People are, generally speaking, quite ignorant of how the world around them works, but those in power remain there because they are not disillusioned as to the way of the world. I believe, wholeheartedly, that if we ignored those in power trying to divide us on every issue and united to actually solve our problems, the inevitable conclusion would be us all pointing the finger at those within the government and other ruling bodies like corporations.

We have reached a point where society can either advance in a more hivemind-like (using that very loosely) way, or we can descend into civil war. Essentially, we look at our communities from within, drag the real issues out by their root, and place them upon the pyre of harsh judgement. It'll never happen, because we all have different methodologies for reaching the same ends, but a little deviation from the current course of polarization would be nice to see.

Instead of BLM, ALM. Instead of repub or dem, #SolveTheProblems. Instead of us vs. them, just an acknowledgment of the futility of divisive agendas and language when we are all stuck in the same universe together.

This is all too idealistic, yes, but I've always said that all I want is one side to win so that progress could go ahead unhindered one way or the other. Personally, I'd rather the government be overthrown by a scientific meritocracy, or at least a branch be added to the government that oversees things based on the sciences. Though China is a humanitarian nightmare, it is a technocracy worthy of mirroring in many ways.

good the F grief.

29. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

When one does not matter to one's self, that person will do destructive things such as getting involved with others who are also self-destructive. After all, does one become involved with drugs and criminal activities by one's self? No. It is usually a whole faction of individuals who have lost their value. They spur each other on and I suppose feel some sort of value in their mutual misery. 

Could it be that the "Black Lives Matter" movement is really a call for help by the black community on a deeper and more real level?

The question is:
    What kind of assistance and aide would be vital to help them realize their sense of personal value ... ( that their lives can matter to themselves.)

... and from whom?

This question is as difficult to answer as the question regarding how to get people to stay off substances, such as alcohol, street drugs, pharmaceuticals, marijuana, etc.

Q. So why ask it?

A. To reveal the importance of realizing that self-sabotage is our biggest enemy and that we all have to fight ....

Against ourselves.

And that is one way to get ahead in America.

30. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

Editing to understand:
    "The government has the power and the tools to solve many of the issues we face today," but is not willing to pay for solving them. "We value protecting the state over the people," because the state is not in need of fixing."However, the longer you let a small part of a ... machine malfunction, the more the machine breaks down," and the ones to blame are the ones operating the machine. "People are ... ignorant as to how the world ... works, but those in power remain there because they are not disillusioned ... If we could ignore those in power, who try to divide us on every issue, and instead try to solve our problems, and
    hold the govt. accountable ... and other ruling bodies, like corporations."

"We have reached a point where society can either advance in a hive-like way, or we can descend into civil war." "Essentially, we look at our communities from within, drag the real issues out by their root, and place them upon the pyre of harsh judgement."

"It'll never happen, because we all have different methodologies (such as?) for reaching the same ends ... but a little deviation (?) from the current course of polarization
    would be nice ..."

"Instead of BLM, ALM. Instead of repub or dem, #SolveTheProblems, instead of us vs. them,
    just acknowledge the futility of divisive agendas and language ...
    After all, we are all stuck in the same country together. "On the other hand ...  all I want is one side to win so that progress can continue unhindered one way or the other.

Personally, I'd rather the government be overthrown by a scientific meritocracy, or at least a branch be added to the government that oversees things based on the sciences.  (which sciences?) China is a technocracy worthy of mirroring in many ways." (How so?)

You want an over bearing scientific community imposing its will on us?

Saying something is worth mirroring in many ways automatically infers there are also ways that should not be mirrored, and I would hope you don't think I would ever support China, because I implicitly stated they're a humanitarian nightmare. I simply feel that our government is ran by business interests more so than pertinent domestic and foreign policy that affects the general population in the world. It would be nice to see what scientific minds could do as far as limiting/building upon the power that the government has, which is why I stated a new branch of government would be interesting.

As for anything else needing to be addressed, if you would like me to provide a real response to you, you'll need to put it all in one comment to me. I can no longer keep up with the way you break everything into a new conversation, and the context is being lost to your formatting and seemingly off the wall assumptions about what is being said.

31. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

The US system has been designed to pit power against power. For example, States vs Federal, Congress vs Senate, Executive power vs Congressional power and the Supreme Court versus all of them. Power vs Power. The three branches are divided.

In China, a single scientific arm of the govt. has the power to kill Muslims at will.

32. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

We have two parties because we do. If you want your party to win, you vote. You communicate, you rally together those of like minds.
    One side has to win by virtue of the dominating spirit.
    Heaven help us if the vote is not trustworthy.

33. bhattuc profile image84
    bhattucposted 2 years ago

It is a tough time as competition is increased and opportunities are shrinking. I believe it was always like that and only thing is it is too harsh at present. I also believe that it is a temporary phase and soon change to a better prospect.

Yes, as AI increases and we yield to the tyranny of it.

Atlantis and its technologically advanced civilization collapsed,
      somehow.
      It will happen again, if we let it.
      We need to prevent it ... somehow.

How is the question.

34. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

My comments are clear and understandable.
    but you choose to not to see it that way.
    For some reason you take that tact.
    Its confusing,
    but strangely common in this day and age.

If the commonality is you, and people are requesting you to be more clear, I'm not sure why you'd continue blaming everyone else. Perhaps this hearkens back to your comment of, "Everyone thinks I'm a troll."

I'm asking for clarification because I am unable to keep up, plain and simple. I wouldn't have carried on this conversation for so long if I didn't want to understand. The way you format things makes it difficult to keep up with the conversation, especially separating all the messages and not hitting the "reply" button when responding to multiple posts.

C'est la vie.

I do not feel you are open to anything I have to say.
        What I have to say is very elemental. Maybe thats the problem: tooo simple.

My main question was do you believe freedom provides the ability (and joy) of guiding ones own will. (and is worth preserving for that reason.)
        You are suspicious of such a simple and straightforward question.

... why can't you take it at face value and answer without your big ol' intellect scaring you from even thinking about the idea ... and without labeling it as "flowery"?

Within the context of this question alone, "do you believe freedom provides the ability (and joy) of guiding ones own will?":

Yes. The context in which the question was first presented implied I was also agreeing to things I do not agree with. I'm suspicious of anything further than the face value of the question, as I should be, because I do differ in stance from you on many things.

If you can't understand your own context, what your question within such a context originally could've implied, then I'll make it easier for you to understand. You put words in my mouth countless times already, I felt agreeing with you on a loaded question would cause you to put words in my mouth again. Blame yourself.

I believe that the ability and freedom to guide one's will is the key to happiness on a universal level.

smile

Many people can't get  past "universal."

35. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

Others cannot accept that we have "free will."

36. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

I was just wondering what you think about the idea of self guided free will and whether it is something to consider in discussing politics and social science or not.
    If you do not, I would like to know where your interest in political matters is stemming from.

I do not understand the power and money aspect.

I pose this question to yours, at any point did you feel that I was putting down individual free will? All I have done this entire time is call for an outward realization that everyone is different, and that the majority needs to discuss everyone's problems fairly and in an equitable manner.

As for power and money, once again, you'll need to be more specific with your questions. Things have been lost in translation because you keep opening new conversations without hitting reply to what you're referring to.

37. Kyler J Falk profile image89

So we come to the impasse that I mentioned earlier. You are the type to say, "No, X is X, and Y is Y."

We live in a subjective, individual world guided by objective principles. Everyone's reality is different, and to claim your views are universal while allowing a conversation to break down due to your own rigidity is an interesting juxtaposition.

Gotcha.

38. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

I call for an outward  ? realization ? that everyone is
    different,
    and that the majority needs to (or should) discuss

e v e r y o n e ' s   problems

1. fairly
    2. in an equitable manner.

You call for the impossible.

39. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

I call for the ability of each individual to solve their own problems, based on their own choices and self-guided will.

The Rule of Law takes care of the rest.

"Impossible," and yet you claim that we can reach a universal happiness. You see why I will not agree with anything you say without specifying I only agree at face value? I'll respond to both of your broken up comments here, but if you can't stop breaking your comments up I'm afraid I have lost patience with your formatting choices, it hurts my tiny little boy brain.

As life goes forward we are all becoming interconnected, and the issues of others must be solved on a societal level. Solving things on a societal level takes the society convincing the individual to change at the individual level and contribute appropriately to society, or encourage them to recuse themselves lest they face punishment/consequence in some form.

Your views are all over the place, contradicting themselves much of the time, and "We the people," seems to only mean anything to you when attacking someone rather than seeking to understand them.  At this point, I think we have perfectly encompassed the problem with society, and the reason issues are arising and spreading like wildfires. I don't wish to throw anymore fuel on the fire, so I'm going to give up with a heavy heart due to our lack of understanding.

Maybe when I get the urge to talk with you again we'll make more progress.

" ...and the issues of others must be solved (HOW?) on a societal level. Solving things on a societal level takes the society convincing the individual to change at the individual level and contribute appropriately to society ..."

You will not provide For Instances. Maybe when you get the urge to talk to me again, you will.

BLM is an important symptom of a larger problem, a symptom that views itself as a cure. Granted it does solve many issues, while creating many more at the ideological level. BLM is an example of society trying to heal itself as a society, but at the individual level.

Trump would be another great example, serving only four years, because we had to replace him (whether or not it was real as far as elections I don't care, hopefully Biden is next in line for replacement as well). Society said GTFO, but this was because he caused a sociopolitical uproar. Healing society as a whole, but at the individual level by rightfully punishing Trump.

For a general example I could give tons of examples on, such as Marilyn Manson, outcasts are outcast for a reason. Society takes it upon itself to attempt to heal problems at individual levels.

As we become interconnected it takes a focus on the collective to grow, not a rigid adherence to a belief we can all live exactly as we so choose without conflict. If true happiness is being outcast, I don't want to be truly happy. I want to stay in a chaotic society where I can hear the views and struggles of others, they can hear mine, and we can work toward a brighter, happier future for the collective human race.

I've lost my patience, so apologies if this isn't clear enough.

"a rigid adherence to a belief we can all live exactly as we so choose without conflict."
              No. Laws give boundaries and curb injustice which arise from the excesses of freedom.

"... and we can work toward a brighter, happier future for the collective human race."
            ... as individuals within the group believe in and agree with the cause(s)

- nothing wrong with that.

It just can't be forced. Forcing and tyranny is what I fight against.

Such as imposing what is politically correct.
            Such as cancel-culture and limiting freedom of speech.

It isn't about group think, it is about being open to the realities of others, being willing to work in parallel, and when conflict arises making the willful choice not to insult others and wall off from them, but to discuss how to move forward. Where that is not possible, recusing yourself from the discussion or accepting that society will recuse you from it with some manner of force.

Basically, the way into the future is not saying, "X is X, and Y is Y," but to instead attempt to see that your X is someone else's Y, and that is most likely totally fine and inconsequential. Instead, though, society currently argues over things like whether or not two adults can subject themselves to the oppressive institution of marriage, when most people would not be affected if those individuals were allowed to sign their commitment in the formal realm of government regulation.

You seem to be projecting your fear of the media's portrayal of liberalism and extremism onto anything that even slightly resembles that which you fear. At no point have I ever, nor will I ever support group think. I support rational, educated, patient, cohesive conclusions based in science, emotional solidarity, and most of all sane realities.

I was thinking as I typed and editing just as quickly. I realized that, (group think) wasn't the issue.

You are saying what is right and I agree with it.

Just don't force it upon us ... like religion forced down a throat.

To agree with me now is to undo your stance up until this point, if I took this at face value I'd be happy, but I am forced to question whether you agree with the underlying sentiment that disagrees in some way with what you've presented thus far. As for forcing, it is reality that will force us all one way or another. We either learn to function in a healthy parallel, or we converge in a big clash that leads to major divergence.

At some point there is objective rule that dictates what will happen in reality to a degree, and it is both measurable and can be speculated upon accurately. As of yet, we are on the road to a violent convergence, and then a pitiful divergence. I'd feel safer as a gambling man putting my money on increasing polarization, but as an ideologue I'll keep fighting for everyone to take a more open, adaptable stance.

okay. smile

"... and we can work toward a brighter, happier future for the collective human race."
              ... as individuals within the group believe in and agree with the cause(s)

- nothing wrong with that.

40. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

Kyler believes that "we are all becoming interconnected,
    and the issues of others
    MUST be solved on a societal level.
    Solving things on a societal level requires  c o n v i n c i n g  the individual to change and contribute appropriately to society ..." Kyler J. Falk

Sentiments like this one, are what I fear.

We do not want a hive-like society. We want a society where the individual has control over his/her own life under the jurisdiction of fairness/justice and the common good.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)