Will Traffic Keep Dropping?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (55 posts)
  1. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 2 years ago

You know the way traffic seems to ramp up slowly after a beneficial update? I don't understand the reason, I would have thought there should be a sudden step increase. Well does the same happen after a detrimental update? Personally for me there seems to be a steady weekly 10% drop and it's not stopping.

1. chef-de-jour profile image95
      chef-de-jourposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I hope things turn around for you Eugene. This is a turbulent time no doubt what with Google updates, pandemic uncertainty and the trauma of CPM slides. I'm ploughing on and writing fresh articles, say one a fortnight, and updating old ones, just to keep up with rival websites. Most of my traffic reflects educational timetabes so now is the low season but I'm optimistic for the near future.

eugbugposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Same here, updating but I haven't got any inspiration to write new ones that I think will do well. A lot of the time writing new guides is like throwing mud at a wall and hoping it sticks, but often it hits the fan instead. Things should improve towards the end of the month when kids start returning to school (hopefully).

2. bravewarrior profile image87
      bravewarriorposted 2 years agoin reply to this

It's like a yo-yo. Up and down, up and down. My GA reports shows traffic is down 20% as of 8/4/21. A week ago it was double that.

1. Kenna McHugh profile image92
        Kenna McHughposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes. Up and down for me, too. Rollercoaster ride, no steady climbs before the plunge, just straight up and straight down. My stomach can't handle it!

3. dougwest1 profile image95
      dougwest1posted 2 years agoin reply to this

My page views are way down too. Since all my stuff is non-fiction/educational I normally have a low during the summer. I am hopeful that things pick up September.

4. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 2 years agoin reply to this

It's been worse, it's been better. A lot of up and down. I'm glad I get something monthly for it though and it's residual, so that's good too.

5. erorantes profile image49
      erorantesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Good morning mister eugbug. Last night, I was looking one of your article about dust. It is creative and longer than most articles on hub pages. I did not see your other articles. You are great. You have to figure out why your traffic is dropping. I love writing. You do too.  Have a wonderful day.

Thanks Ana.

6. cheaptrick profile image75
      cheaptrickposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Many years ago..I heard about the drop...which never stopped..but year after year,the Hub is still here,and we can do naught, but persevere...

7. Thelma Alberts profile image90
      Thelma Albertsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

My traffic is dropping, too. I hope it will go up again.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 2 years ago

I feel your pain, Eug. I generally had losses too this week on my accounts.

Things may indeed appear to improve soon for seasonal reasons, but that's not solving the underlying problem here.

I'm focused on writing at Medium at the moment for reasons that you've raised, essentially demoralization.

This feels almost worse than the 2019/2020 dire period as things keep falling at an alarming rate. The Google gods are clearly unhappy about something.

3. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 2 years ago

CPM is dropping too, heading to half of what it was last year.
    Anyway, time for dinner.
    https://hubstatic.com/15668325_f1024.jpg

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I literally just had beans. Heinz baked beans on toast, an English comfort food.

(Is it just me, or is this the worst Google algo hit against the site since Panda? Maybe I'm just more invested in the site nowadays...)

I don't know. Overall, my traffic is only about 5% below last year's level for the start of August, but the drop in percentage terms since June is a lot greater.

Yes, I was thinking more in terms of the size and speed of the drop.

If we start using 2020 as the benchmark for traffic, I feel that we're doomed. That was a terrible year. smile

1. lobobrandon profile image89
              lobobrandonposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That was the best year for me by far both in terms of traffic and revenue. I joined a month after the Panda update and so do not have any pre-panda experience.

2. lobobrandon profile image89

No, the worst one was the one that killed Caloriebee and the other YMYL (or whatever the term is) sites.

But this one is pretty bad too. Year on year for the month of July and the first week of August my traffic is down 55%.

I do not have the time to test, but from what I have been seeing from others who know their way around these updates don't use the same main keyword in your title and subheadings. That seems to make pages recover. Would be nice to have someone test. I will try and test on one of my hubs this weekend.

I have a client that requests KW in title and SKW in meta.

I believe that the "others" you speak of are right, Brandon.

One should always use the main keyword or phrase that you're chasing in the main title. But the use of keywords in subtitles is a more difficult and subtle area. This is where you're more likely to get slammed for keyword stuffing.

The use of *related* keywords in subtitles can often be a good idea, however. This method can be used to advantage on high-performing articles to bring in views from other search keywords, not just your main one.

This has been the case for some time, however. I'm not aware that much has changed in this respect.

3. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94
        Kierstin Gunsbergposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it's as bad as Panda, lol! But It's definitely been lackluster. I always look forward to a little bump in traffic after a big algo update and this was definitely not it.

No, definitely not as bad as Panda. But it feels like the worst since in some ways. Difficult to compare it though with that period following subdomains when things were shooting up and down in an extreme way.

That said, I think it *feels* worse because it follows a good spell.

In reality, it's more like a return to the miserable mediocrity of 2020. All it takes is for both traffic and CPMs to turn mediocre and the overall effect is awful.

Not forgetting the Amazon rates getting slashed in half too, a terrible blow for hubbers and the site. sad

4. Shesabutterfly profile image94
    Shesabutterflyposted 2 years ago

My traffic is up a bit from this time the last two years, but cpm is down quite a few dollars that I'm making less than I did the last two years. Although only a few cents more than 2020. 2019 was my best year to date, I'd love to see those kind of cpm numbers again.Especially with the slight increase in traffic.

After the update I had an article spike in traffic for 2 days. I was initally hopeful as it was the article that has been losing traffic for the last year, but no luck. It's back to it's new dismal low which is half of what it had been. After looking at traffic sources it was due to being shared on FB verses being searched on Google.

Yes, 2018 and 2019 up until around August/September of that year were the peak for CPMs. I'm not sure if we'll see those CPM's again. I got good earnings then, despite fairly mediocre traffic levels.

I think individual hubs getting super-high traffic for a couple of days is often Google doing sample testing. They boost an article purely to get more data to make their analysis more accurate. It happens more in the periods before and after algo updates, in my experience.

5. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 2 years ago

Mmmmmm... beans.

6. Gloriousconfusion profile image90
    Gloriousconfusionposted 2 years ago

My traffic was a lot higher during lockdown and continuously wet weather.  Now that lockdown has eased considerably and the weather is better, people are going out a lot more, and thus not using their computers etc. to read articles and search for information.  My reasoning is that this is at least one of the reasons why traffic has fallen in July and August.

Does anyone else also think this may have had an adverse effect?

A lot of my DIY technique articles have suffered. You could be right. People may be getting fed up with home improvement or doing other creative activities and are out and about more as lockdown rules become less strict.

2. lobobrandon profile image89

This makes sense, but unfortunately, I track rankings and not just traffic. Rankings seem to have taken a hit. But if I look at SEMRush which gives a gauge of traffic to a site based on rankings, the niche sites in general at least the few I looked at have like 1-2% drops not more month on month. Owlcation seems to have a 1% increase.

I think DenGarden showed a 17% drop in June at algo time, 1.8 million views down to 1.5, but even that is much lower than one would expect.

Owlcation slightly up, as you said.

The truth is that I find it hard to tie SEMRush traffic graphs with my own experience, and I have multiple accounts so relative large amount of data. It doesn't tally with HP stats or even show standard seasonal ups and downs.

But yeah, I believe most traffic is lost through hubs that get a lot of views dropping just one ranking or so and losing hundreds of views in the process.

7. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 2 years ago

Another algorithm update today. Traffic is down anotherl 10% since yesterday.

It's death by a thousand cuts!

8. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 2 years ago

Another update Saturday and another 10% traffic drop. Levels down to what they were in 2017 now.

1. viryabo profile image94
      viryaboposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Lawd!
      sad

Just when it seemed like things might be at least stabilizing...

There would appear to be some issue(s) that Google doesn't like and it keeps hitting HP over and over for it. (I don't know if that's true or not)

I hope HP know how to resolve the problem(s) and the solution will arrive sooner rather than later.

Another update is killing this platform. It's also playing havoc with my research for other clients. One item I googled, "benefits of...," brought up Amazon products. The results in the past brought up informative articles. Crazy! I am sure Google will sort it out. In the meantime, it's nuts.

3. NateB11 profile image88

I don't think this is across the board, I'm getting an uptick. Knock on wood. We might want to hold off on doomsday scenarios for now. big_smile

1. bravewarrior profile image87

As of yesterday, 8/14/21 my traffic is down 1.6%. However, it's up by over 20% from 8/11/21. My GA graph shows a major dip on that day.

1. NateB11 profile image88

Long-term, I'm doing better than I was same time last year. I would think long-range measurements are more telling because of the tendency for fluctuations to constantly occur and the way Google updates create hiccups that subside eventually.

This was my best ever year too, but traffic is about 40% of what it was in June which is greater drop in percentage terms than any year previously.

Same for me, I've not had a percentage drop in traffic like this since the subdomains fiasco period ten years ago. My earnings are down over 40% and that's happened in just a matter of weeks. (I write for a range of niche topics, so I know it's not just a few niches).

It's horrible. I'm generally just updating and housekeeping here and focusing on Medium for now. I feel powerless.

According to the weekly newsletters: overall, my traffic went up around 5% last week. That might just be due to seasonal factors, but I guess it's better than a kick in the teeth.

It's a bit better this week. Fingers crossed.

2. bravewarrior profile image87

I don't know which stats to pay attention to. The HP newsletter stats and what GA reports are never the same. For instance, HP newsletter shows my hub views are down 11% for the past 7 days (profile views up 5.9%). GA shows that users are down 1.2% and sessions down 3.7% for the same period. I'm more apt to hold credence to GA's reporting.

Any thoughts?

9. Sustainable Sue profile image96
    Sustainable Sueposted 2 years ago

Have you tried looking at Hubpages without signing in lately? It's disgusting. Just like the other niche sites, it's all ads. You can hardly find the main article. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that's one reason our reads are dropping so steadily.

1. hclpd profile image94
      hclpdposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I just did. The hard-coded video on the top is a bit overkill. I sure won't' spend much time on a site ridden with ads.

2. chef-de-jour profile image95
      chef-de-jourposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I take it that those in charge of these things will be monitoring traffic and income and algorithmic reactions and so on AND doing something about it if the trends are downward!! I know the pandemic has affected viewing - perhaps when we're clear of this Covid business the figures will recover...said the eternal optimist!!

10. dougwest1 profile image95
    dougwest1posted 2 years ago

Sue:
    I would have to agree with you. I've noticed the same thing. I click off sites that have too many ads. It makes it challenge to find the article through all the noise.

11. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 2 years ago

I agree. It's a mess.

12. Solaras profile image96
    Solarasposted 2 years ago

Yes, the ads cover 50% of my screen, all of the time.

The related articles that used to be on the sidebar are gone now from Pethelpful.  Which is particularly egregious since the editors have chosen to promote only one author, exclusively, on the home page for the topic of dog names. So the rest of us writing in that space will have to rely on our wiles in SEO, and receive none of the old benefits of being on HP.

13. alexadry profile image95
    alexadryposted 2 years ago

Solaras, I went on Pet Helpful homepage and it looks like you are seeing that one author only featured because the articles on the homepage are the ones that were most recently written. In other words, they are displayed in a chronological manner with the latest articles displayed first.

14. alexadry profile image95
    alexadryposted 2 years ago

Somebody correct me of course if this is inaccurate. I recently wrote  an article and after being transferred it has moved to the homepage and now showing.

1. Solaras profile image96
      Solarasposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I don't know if they are recently written or recently updated. I have recently updated articles within the same timeframe as his bevy of promoted articles, 6 months. I find it hard to imagine that he is the only one of us who have written any articles this year.

You have 21 articles on the Dogs home page; were they all written recently?

There are a total of 11 authors featured, out of 52 articles.  I know Dr. Mark used to featured regularly, he is not represented. And there are others whose names escape me, but I do not recognize the names on the page except for yours, which is well deserved.

I just don't know how the old formula of related articles or "you may be interested in" links which are gone from my view on articles, are going to send us any traffic within HP.

If SEO is the reason they have been removed, surely the screen covering ad I just experienced is going to be a bigger issue.

1. Sam Shepards profile image93
        Sam Shepardsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I have 1 or 2 on dogs homepage at the bottom and they were written some month(s) ago. All the ones that are higher which are 50% Adrienne are written more recently I follow her and she has published them all the passed 2 months or so, she's very active. In general there is a featured author section, I've been featured once or twice over the years. There used to be multiple popular lists per section, but now only on the general homepage it seems etc. My readership dropped about 40-50% passed 3 months or so.

As a side note, of course it would be nice to see the income rise again, but I only use the earnings to pay for my own domain, hosting etc. so that my personal website is ad free, I can write about what I like there without selling anything or thinking about what google or others would prefer me to write and in my native language.

2. alexadry profile image95
        alexadryposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the articles shown on Pethelpful Dog section were mostly recently written (chronologically from August up to March).

It appears to me that articles that are updated (unless they were updated and moved from Hubpages to the niche site) are not showing. I recently updated a couple of articles and they are not showing on the homepage.

I looked up your most recent articles and they are about cats, so I did a quick check and they are  indeed displayed on Pet Helpful Cats main page.

https://pethelpful.com/cats/

So if my theory is right, if you were to write a dog article and it moves to the niche site, it should show up on Pethelpful Dog section pretty soon.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)