Suggested Articles

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Misbah786 profile image84
    Misbah786posted 2 years ago

Hello Beautiful Souls,

Has anyone else noticed that we are having articles displayed as related/suggested articles in the body of the article? And sometimes in the between the comment as well. It seems like a distraction. It doesn't look good. (I have just noticed it on Discover)

Something like this:

https://hubstatic.com/15794925.png

https://hubstatic.com/15794926.png

Thank you so much!

1. MizBejabbers profile image87
      MizBejabbersposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Is this on your computer or your phone? The page format is different for each. I read HP on my computer, and if I'm understanding you correctly, those related articles appear at the right margin of my computer. I rarely read articles on my phone because my phone has trouble downloading them so I'm not sure where they appear on it. But on my computer, I do click on those and read them occasionally. That's how I started following some of the writers. I think it's a good idea. I don't like the way the ads split the articles. The old way wasn't as obtrusive, and I didn't mind the ads then.

Misbah786posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes, MsDoris, the format is different on mobile devices and computer. I was on my mobile. I think, It seems to be a distraction when you see related articles in the mid of article. (Many of them are not even related still are being suggested)

2. EricDockett profile image97
    EricDockettposted 2 years ago

This is a good thing, as long as the articles are closely related. It is smart on-page SEO.

It is only a problem if the articles are not related and of no interest to the reader. I have only seen a couple of cases where they are unrelated. Overall, they seem pretty good.

I would really like to see HP do more of this kind of thing.

One quibble is that I think it should appear in more logical places, like between capsules. I see why you would think it looks messy the way it splits your text in that example.

Yes, it looks messy because it splits the text.

2. Shesabutterfly profile image93
      Shesabutterflyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Have you noticed closely related content on Pethelpful? I specifically chose an article from the aquarium section that I knew had a lot of related content (since we know they don't like to recommend fish articles already) and only one was related. I read a Betta fish article and was shown 1 article about Betta and 2 about dogs. The fish care article had 3 about dogs.

None of the ones on Owlcation even show articles from the same subcategory from the articles I looked at. Although I will say I specifically chose a subcategory that again is almost never represented in the recommended articles at the bottom.

Delishably was hit or miss, but had related content more often than not which was a pleasant surprise.

Either way I'm sad to see the same broken format they tested out a few months back. Maybe they were not able to designate specific spots for it, but I would rather see it in the margin or back in the pop-up at the bottom verses randomly in the middle breaking up content.

1. EricDockett profile image97
        EricDockettposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I am mostly seeing closely related articles. I did see one dog article linked to one of my fish articles. I'm talking about the three that appear in the middle of the main article, not the mess of them that appear after the ads at the bottom. Those are rarely related, unfortunately.

I'm hoping that HP is starting to understand that just because something is on the same website does not mean it is related to the original content. When people come to a site to learn about fish, they don't want to see content about dogs. When they come to learn about guitars, they aren't interested in song lists.

Years ago, HP experimented with driving traffic to all kinds of articles. They tried linking to newly published content, best content, "related" content that wasn't really related. All of that failed. They eventually learned that articles in those "Discover More" sections needed to be very closely related for it to succeed.

This seems like yet another lesson that has to be relearned, and I hope they are getting there. I actually think the three articles (not 50) are a good thing.

1. Shesabutterfly profile image93

Yes that is what I am referring to as well.

I only mentioned the bottom content in relation to Owlcation, because the bottom related articles generally leave whole subcategories out. I was seeing the same for the 3 in the middle. For example on the theology articles I was seeing all different subcategories like language and history, but not a single theology article. With Stem I was looking at physics and had other non-math stem articles. The categories on Owlcation are too broad to recommend based simply on the category someone choose. I don't know how they choose the read more articles, but it should be based on the subcategory so they are at least related. Stem-physics for example should show me three related physic articles. Not any article tagged with Stem.

They tried this out 4 months ago I was really hoping if they brought it back they would have listened to our feedback, but it appears either they can't or will not for some reason.

I agree this could and would be very good if content was related, but unfortunately that is not really what I am seeing. Add to that the unfortunate placement in most articles and I don't see this going any better than their test run.

Owlcation has always been kind of mess in that regard. My birding articles are linked to articles about alligators and big cats. As you say, it is too broad.

In this case, I see a few birding articles appearing, but a lot of other bizarre things as well.

HP needs to tighten that up.

1. Shesabutterfly profile image93

Yes it has. I don't know anything about programming, but I hope the possibilities are there for narrowing it down a bit more.

3. Rupert Taylor profile image95
    Rupert Taylorposted 2 years ago

I'm all for it as long as the articles promoted are mine. Otherwise, not so much.

Ha Ha! Actually, one of the displayed articles is mine. big_smile It's like keep on redirecting the readers to my work. Lol!

If you write in a niche, that is one reason it is a good thing. smile

Even if not, it is good to keep readers on the site.

Agreed! Sounds good smile

4. Titia profile image93
    Titiaposted 2 years ago

Yes I've seen that too. On PetHelpful there are only three, but on AxelAddict there are 50 suggested articles right in the middle of my article. I really thought they had cut off my article.

50 sounds too much!

1. Titia profile image93
        Titiaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I just saw they have changed it back to three now. Wish I had made a printscreen yesterday. I actually counted 50.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
          Glenn Stokposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Finally!  I reported this to the team on Nov 14th when I first saw (and counted) 50 suggested articles stuck in the middle of all my articles on AxleAddict. I'm glad they finally changed it back to three.

I lost a lot of readers who probably thought they reached the end without a proper conclusion when they saw nothing by suggested articles with endless scrolling through all 50.

Three is acceptable, but its location is still a problem. Saying "Read More from AxleAddict" implies that the reader has reached the end.

Having 50 suggestions in the middle was a nightmare and was poor judgment by whoever was in charge of the programmers. I expected better from HubPages and Maven, but I see lower standards developing now that the Arena Group is involved. (I never had to rant before).

5. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Yes, I have noticed…it isn't the best look but hopefully that may be one of the things HubPages look at improving. Let’s hope.

Yes, I also think HP needs to improve this smile

2. Shesabutterfly profile image93

They initally tested this out 4 months ago. I doubt it is changing any time soon unfortunately. When I first mentioned it Eugene and I brought up some of these same issues and now it's rolled out on all sites in the exact same format sad

Most of the recommended I see are unrelated especially on Owlcation and Pethelpful. They also split text or appear between the Q&A/comments in shorter articles. Although I have seen a few articles without them completely.

Feels like the same broken system they tested a few months back.

6. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Still counting 47 “around the web” suggestions before “comments” can be viewed, but at least that is at the end of the actual article. Comments are after….guess that shows how important they really consider them.

John, they really don't need comments on their site, I guess. I read your article/poem today and found it really amazing. We do need comments back, the way we want it. smile Loved your work!
      Blessings to you!!! smile

7. Eric Caunca profile image94
    Eric Cauncaposted 2 years ago

It is good for me.

It's always good with you. I hope it stays that way.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)