Google Clampdown on Websites That Steal Articles

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (24 posts)
  1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 2 years ago

This sounds like good news. I read about it on SE Roundtable. Websites that have lots of DMCA notices are getting hit harder. Some of the tricks they use are also being countered.

Google: "Demotion of Websites That Receive A Large Volume of Notices. We have developed a "demotion signal" for Google Search that causes sites for which we have received a large number of valid removal notices to appear much lower in search results. We have also made it much harder for infringing sites to evade demotion by redirecting people to a new domain. Finally, we have added a "still-in-theaters/prerelease" flag for DMCA notices involving this category of content to enhance the Search demotion signal. When a site is demoted, the traffic Google Search sends it drops, on average, by 89% on average."

Here's link to the full SE Roundtable news article

1. alexadry profile image95
      alexadryposted 2 years agoin reply to this

This is great news! I hope Google also targets those who re-word our articles paragraph by paragraph, parroting our whole content without giving any credit or attribution to us doing all the hard work!

2. Miebakagh57 profile image68
      Miebakagh57posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Its good news indeed. Thefts of our contents mill have a hard time and will suffer harder. I'm so happy. Thanks  Paul Goodman for informing us.

3. bravewarrior profile image87
      bravewarriorposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Great news, Paul. Thanks for the info!

4. OldRoses profile image92
      OldRosesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

This is a baby step.  Unfortunately, the sites are allowed to remain and be discoverable in searches.  This is still stealing from the original authors, both in terms of money and clicks. 

I'm having a terrible time getting Google, who owns Blogger, to take down pages from Blogger that are copied and pasted from my copyrighted articles.  Google acknowledges my DMCA complaints, but never removes the pages.  Now I know why. 

It's still theft of intellectual property and still wrong.  Google needs to do more than demote copied articles.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image68

I now realized that the 'baby step' could not do us any good. Google should take the whole thing down.

2. SuperBrains profile image95
        SuperBrainsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that protecting writers has ever been a high priority for Google. If the piracy affected Google's profits directly, more serious action would have been taken years ago. The reality is that they're generally half-assed, unfortunately.

1. OldRoses profile image92
          OldRosesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  I was just venting.

That talk sense to me.

5. erorantes profile image52
      erorantesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Hello mister Paul.It is an excellent news. My T Mobil stop working for a few minutes. I could not make any phone calls. Only an emergency phone call. Luckily, I had the SIM card when Sprint and T mobil emerged together. So I made a phone call from a land line number. I spend at least an hour to fix it with the technician. The lady was so knowledgeable. I check my iPod. I saw a note that 111 times someone was trying to still my articles; but that the iPod security protection stop it. It is a good idea to security our devices. Honestly, it shows in records who takes them if we search. You have a good day. Thank you for the news.

6. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Paul. It's about time.

Let's and see. If Google sweep off these thefty websites omlina, we writers are a happy folk.

2. bhattuc profile image84
    bhattucposted 2 years ago

I think this is a good step by Google.

3. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Excellent news! Thank you for sharing this, Paul.

4. Dean Traylor profile image94
    Dean Traylorposted 2 years ago

Sounds good. I have one site that lifted four articles. I've been having an extremely hard time getting them to remove these articles. The site is one of those "essay" services (if if one of those articles stolen was a short story), which supply essays for college students to use in their classes. They are trying to sell them for $10. Hopefully, this new revelation will put a dint in their operation.

Let your prayer be answer.

2. bravewarrior profile image87

That site stole one of my short stories, too, Dean. I reached out to them and asked them to take it down. They said they would, but it's still there!

1. Dean Traylor profile image94
        Dean Traylorposted 2 years agoin reply to this

By any chance was it writemyessay.nyc?

3. eugbug profile image96
      eugbugposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Maybe shame them on social media. That sometimes works.

1. bravewarrior profile image87

I'm not very active on social media, Eugene, but thanks for the idea!

2. Dean Traylor profile image94
        Dean Traylorposted 2 years agoin reply to this

In a way I did in my last article (about plagiarism). Also, did that to someone who took a story of mine and made it his own on his blog (even writing a bio about how he "came up with the story"). It became the topic of another Hub. Thankfully, his entire site was taken down.

5. Ben716 profile image90
    Ben716posted 2 years ago

That's welcoming and somehow comforting. But, I don't think Google can ever remove such sites from being listed on their search engine.

They should warn the sites of infringing with serious consequence of removing their site from appearing on their search engine. This would be a step forward.

I tend to contact hosting companies since they don't want to tarnish their name by hosting sites that steal writers' content. It has always worked in my case as I'm now dealing with another site that has copied roughly the whole of my article without attributing the writer of the content.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Google can get rid of articles by de-indexing them, but more often it chooses to sink them in the search engine rankings. If something doesn't appear on the first few pages of a search, it's as good as dead.

I agree that contacting the hosting companies isn't a bad tactic for writers combatting piracy, it's just very time consuming if you have a lot of articles and sometimes they want you to prove ownership of articles.

It's much easier if Google just takes direct action. They are a huge tech company with much more power and greater capabilities than individual writers. Ideally, we shouldn't be expected to do anything other than write, especially when it's pirates exploiting Google's weaknesses.

That's not the reality, though! I welcome any improvement, however small. smile

Paul, I'm completely, with you in that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)