My daily views are too low for a man with almost 30 articles.

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (135 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Ivan Hernandezposted 6 years ago

I need your help. I used the google keyword tool to search for the perfect titles, but I still have way too few views for a failure of a man with 28 articles. I've tried changing the titles and still nothing. It was only a temporary fix. What do I do?

Example, my views are in the single digits. Hubpages doesn't think that I deserve all those niche site articles. Is HubPages trying to screw me over?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Nah, just seems to be a slow day/week. Also, HealDove and Google are still working out whether to get along or not.

2. Carola Finch profile image92
      Carola Finchposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I get a lot of views from sharing my articles on social media such as Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, and Flipboard.

3. Nancy Owens profile image81
      Nancy Owensposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi Ivan. I have been around here for quite a while, and I do not think HubPages is trying to screw you over. That said, I agree with @paradigmsearch that it was a slow week. However, you also mentioned that your articles are not being promoted to the niche sites. I get your frustration, Some things to look at might be the following:
      1. Take a look at the topics you are writing about. Do they fit with a specific niche? If so, go back and read over your articles. Do the sentences flow smoothly? Are you clearly stating what it is that you are trying to communicate?

2. Are you breaking up your articles into sections with the capsules? I did take a look at one of your articles, and you might try reworking some of your sub-headings. I also noticed that particular article was on a niche site.

3. Interaction. I notice that you are active here in this section, but are you reading the work of your fellow writers here at HubPages? Do you read and comment on other people's work? Do you actively engage? When you interact by placing sincere comments on articles other than your own, you are showing people that you care about them and what they write.

4. I notice that you seem to have a passion for psychology. Perhaps through exploring this passion you could develop your own niche in life, as well as here at HubPages.

5. And finally, maybe letting go a little is in order. Perseverance and self awareness are key. Writing is not easy. Especially when you are writing from the heart. It takes time to develop a readership, make friends, and find your own unique style. Ask yourself why you are writing. Do you sincerely want to connect with others through your work, or are you writing because you want to make money? Neither is bad. It is okay to be who you are. But figuring that out is a little easier said than done.

I hope this helps. Just keep working and learning, and allow time to bring to your awareness the things you need to focus on. Look at your work here as a process, not a finish line. smile

1. profile image0
        Ivan Hernandezposted 6 years agoin reply to this

What niche site article needs reworking, Nancy?

2. profile image0

I'm sorry. It's that I fear that I'll fail at Hubpages.

Most people do. Anything 10 or more articles is considered a resounding success around here and puts you in the top 6% of successful writers. As for getting traffic, Google can take over a year before making up its mind about the value of an article. Do not make HubPages your life-and-death project. Make it an iterative, secondary project; one that you get around to only when it is fun.

1. profile image0

I've got 29 articles, and around 7 of them have an average HubScore of between 82 and 91. But I'm severely lacking something. My Hubberscore used to be at 87. Now it's back at 84. What's going on?

HubPages only uses the Hubber Score to torture us, ignore it. big_smile

I've noticed a lot of good advice on this thread that is definitely worth following. All your concentration should be towards making Google happy by implementing what you have read here. But, again, only make the effort when it is fun to do so.

3. TessSchlesinger profile image61
        TessSchlesingerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Nancy, I am curious about something. You said, "Do you read and comment on other people's work? Do you actively engage? When you interact by placing sincere comments on articles other than your own, you are showing people that you care about them and what they write."

That blows my mind. So, in order for people to read my work, I have to read their work.

I recall when I first arrived in the States in 2003, I was sitting in a coffee shop writing. A guy saw me and asked if I was a writer. I said yes. He then asked me if he could read something of mine. I was a bit irritated, but brought him something the next day

A few days later he gave it back to me, and gave me a huge parcel. I asked him what it was. He said it was his screenplay. I told him I didn't want to read it.

He said, "But I read yours. Now it's your turn to read mine."

I was 52 years old at the time and I had already been writing and published for more than 40 years at that time, and I had honestly never ever been told by anyone before that I must read the work of other writers in order for them to read mine.

He insisted that I take it with me. I told him I wouldn't read it. So I took it and dropped it in the trash on the way out.

Surely, one's work should be read by people who want to read it, and if they don't want to read it, one just has to accept that because that's the reality.

1. Jeremy Gill profile image91
          Jeremy Gillposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I see your point, but commenting on others' Hubs is still a good way to get your name around. No, we don't have to read and respond to someone just because they comment on our work, but many Hubbers do and it can be a good way to form mutually beneficial relationships. Similarly, Hubbers are more likely to follow someone who follows them, though it's not required.

1. TessSchlesinger profile image61

I just think that is unethical. In 1958, when I first went to school. we were taught about 'cupboard love.' In other words, people are nice to you or they like you for what they can get out of you.

It's not anything I can do with any degree of self respect.

I do find that when I want to read up on a topic, there's some pretty good data on HP. IF I like the hub, I will share it.

2. Nancy Owens profile image81

Hi Tess
          I think you misunderstood the context in what I said. Although you quoted it exactly, your next sentences seemed to be completely out of context. When a person is having trouble with getting followers and fitting into the community here, I feel that it does benefit them to read the work of others for several reasons: 1) By reading the work of experienced writers here at HubPages, a person can learn by seeing how other writers craft their articles. 2) reading the work of others in the community shows that you are actively participating in this community. 3) Interacting with other writers helps to broaden one's conceptual knowledge and to experience the fullness of belonging to a community of writers, which is what HubPages is.

That said, I think you know that I was not saying that you, Tess, have to read the work of others. A person can do whatever they want in that regard.

In the quote you mention, I was speaking directly to Erick and to his specific issues, which have been ongoing.

For some reason, it feels to me that you are taking issue with me for that. I am not sure I understand why. Could you enlighten me? You said you were curious, but what exactly was your question? Why would you not want to read the work of other writers in your community? What I was talking about was not a quid-pro-quo, but genuine interaction with other humans who might be able to help Erick by the example they set with their writing.

What could that hurt?

1. TessSchlesinger profile image61

Why would I not want to read the work of others in a writing community?

I find it bizarre?

I read about three or four hours every single day. I read according to topic, not according to who wrote it.

I asked you the question because it is repeated so often, and I had an impulse to try to understand why that is necessary these days but was never necessary in the days of print.

There was nothing personal about it. I do realize I sometimes come across as aggressive. I'm not. I am high-funtioning autistic and that means I tend to be more to the point.

I apologize.

i have never really seen myself as part of a writing community or any community for that matter. I don't fit in. I'm odd.

Sorry.

3. poppyr profile image93
          poppyrposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Tess, that writer in the coffee shop sounds like an idiot. I agree there are plenty of writers out there who are like that. “I read yours, now you read mine!” I had a guy who gave my book, which he didn’t read, a five-star review and then got angry when I wouldn’t do the same for him!

Nancy didn’t mean Erick should scribble some comments on the first hubs he sees and then sit and expect the views to roll in. I agree with her that reading other people’s articles is a nice way to meet cool people on here. He should definitely only read articles on topics he’s interested in, though, not for selfish reasons smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
            Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You're right, Poppyr.  That's why I'm always explaining to people that views and comments from Hubbers don't help you make money here.   Unfortunately, there's a persistent myth that if we all follow each other, and read and comment on each other's Hubs, it somehow gives us a major boost and contributes to our income.  The result is that people play silly tit-for-tat games, and get peeved when you don't follow them back or comment on their Hubs, or sound appropriately grateful when they comment on yours.

I love it when people read my Hubs because the subject interests them, or because I've helped solve a problem or answer a question.  But I don't like the idea of other Hubbers wasting their time reading my Hubs if they don't interest them, just to score imaginary points. I have comments capsules on my Hubs because I believe readers have a right to express their opinions, not because I'm fishing for compliments.

1. Bedbugabscond profile image95
              Bedbugabscondposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Well said Marissa! I agree with you 100%. I don't want people to have to think up a comment just to comment. The intent isn't to go around making comments, but rather to communicate about the content in a meaningful way by leaving a question, opinion, or experience. It is easy to want to comment when you read content that really interests you.

1. profile image0

You're right. I should read more expert comments and expert articles to really get a grasp on something here.

4. profile image0
        Sarafina Writesposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Nancy,
        Thank you so much for these insightful tips! I just joined Hub Pages last night so every tip that I come across is greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays.

4. Ryan Cornelius profile image81
      Ryan Corneliusposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You are not alone here. I have over 100 and barely have views but I just love to write. It's not too much of a deal to me. Not a top priority

I'm not in any way downing Ryan's work, however I'd like to point out that most of his articles are rhymes which follow an atypical format; this may contribute to the view count. By the way, congrats for having so many featured on LetterPile, niche sites are always nice.

5. sivasubrahmanyam profile image60
      sivasubrahmanyamposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it is like that anymore. What your article needs is to be SEO friendly. Added to this it should have great content and of course, the views are already there to give more earnings.

2. Ryan Cornelius profile image81
    Ryan Corneliusposted 6 years ago

Check out my articles. I been here for 2.5 months and have published almost 70 by being unique in every  thing that I put on here. Just be unique

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

I think maybe you have an unrealistic idea of how many views you should have.  It's very common for people to find they don't get many views.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 6 years ago

(Rolls eyes)

Of course they are. Out of the thousands of users on this site, you were chosen at random by the Powers that Be to screw over. Because that's totally something they would do.

1. Tim Truzy info4u profile image95
      Tim Truzy info4uposted 6 years ago

It simply could be that people aren't reading your material much. No organization is perfect; however, HP operates with more honor than other businesses I have run across in my writing years. More powerful than the pen is patience for the writer.

2. Sudhir Devapalan profile image89
      Sudhir Devapalanposted 6 years ago

I've also wondered what to do to increase page views but the topics I usually write aren't trending in Google search so the best way to get views would be to find out something  popular in Google search and write about that. Still testing it out though.

You can still write about the topics you enjoy. However, it is good to find the place where the topic intersects with your readers' knowledge and language base. What does your reader already know, and what types of language are they using to find the info you are presenting. Sometimes it helps to modify both your angle and your language. This language needs coexist with your knowledge base throughout the article.

3. poppyr profile image93
      poppyrposted 6 years ago

There you go, dropping the "F" bomb again ("failure").

You are obsessing way too much over page views. If you wrote as many articles as hours you spent in the forums, you'd be doing a lot better.

You've received a lot of fantastic advice from many people over the past few months. I suggest using the advice you've been given, instead of asking the same questions again and again and then ignoring advice.

Why not write about the games I mentioned? My articles that perform the best are all about video games.

This certainly applies to me. I have got to start coming up with some brilliant topic ideas or else.  lol

2. profile image0

I did write a gaming article. It's about The Universim. I bet nobody thought about that.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I bet they did - google shows over a million results for "universim" and 50,000 for "what is universim".

But I notice that when I find your hub on the SE, there is no summary - instead the first line of the hub is reported, which answers the question of "what is universim".  Those summaries are what will bring readers, assuming that they see your offering in a search.

Example: on my hub about how to paint a bathtub, a search will show the title plus "Is there a special bathtub paint?  Painting a bathtub is not difficult; a report from someone that did just that, with pros and cons."  Those summaries are important - they are the equivalent of a beautiful magazine cover in the check out aisle and are what snags a searcher to read your hub.

1. profile image0

So, you're telling me that I'm a failure? Then, sir, you're right.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
              psycheskinnerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

He's telling you to add a summary.

1. profile image0

There is a summary!!!

1. wilderness profile image95
                  wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Not the blurb about you; the summary about the hub.  If it's there it's either identical to the first line of the hub or google isn't picking it up (possible - I've had that happen before).

1. profile image0

There is a summary! I wasn't talking about the blurb about me!

Nevertheless what he was saying was to add a summary, to get more traffic.  Open the hub, look for the box called "summary", put text in there. 

In the time you have been misinterpreting what he said and denying the mistake, you could have fixed it.  And be getting more traffic.  Which is what you said this thread was about--so that is what people are trying to help with.

3. profile image0

I'm not ignoring advice. I'm following them!

1. poppyr profile image93

Good!

4. Jeremy Gill profile image91

I agree with Poppy; don't let every setback make you view yourself as a failure. Not just in the initial post, but in other comments like this: "So, you're telling me that I'm a failure? Then, sir, you're right."

You're doing fine, have faith in yourself. Don't even think about the word failure. Some of my best-written articles get the least views. It happens; you can do this.

1. profile image0

I know I can do this. It's just a question of how am I going to be able to do this?

Great! If you know you can do this, don't call yourself a failure anymore.

Keep at it. Some articles simply get more views than others; it helps to find topics few others have covered. That said, I also find popular subjects see extra traffic. On one hand, more fellow authors will be covering such material, but on the other, more people will be searching for it.

1. profile image0

I am Erick Hernandez. Nancy read my history on a silver platter. So, I followed her. But I have to get off this forum, quick, before I get reprimanded.

4. anusha15 profile image83
      anusha15posted 6 years ago

I've come across a couple of your posts in past.

Don't get disheartened. I think you need to understand that the organic traffic is not as related to your views as it is with what people are looking for. If you are looking for more views per article, then maybe you should first research and educate yourself thoroughly about "keyword research", and then be very careful before picking up a topic to write.

You might want to check Google Trends for understanding Search trends, and you could compare two topics there too.

Another thing, having your articles moved to Niche sites is not a ticket to success. Nothing is, there are no guarantees when it comes to online writing.

5. RyanCThomas profile image91
      RyanCThomasposted 6 years ago

How many views do you think you should be getting?

1. profile image0

I should be getting 20-30 views per day.

1. profile image0

I should also get views fom google.com?

Under your stats tab, then search phrases, then click total. Do you have any articles that are already getting picked up for any keywords? Or have ever, even if not recently?

1. profile image0

Don't worry. I Can check total traffic. Right now, I have about 430 views from google across all my articles, two in the last day.

The keywords listed in your search phrases page will help give you an idea of what keywords are getting your traffic attention. Once you know some of them,  Google the keyword. Look at not just the titles of the first page results, but pay attention to the descriptions. Pay special attention to the bold words. These are important words that need to be included in your articles summary, and or within the content.

Use the find function Ctrl+F to check if those words are in your article. And pay attention to the proximity of those words. Also look at the first page results. Click through to their page and use Ctrl+F to see the use and proximity of the bolded words in their articles. Compare as many first page results as you can and reflect on how you can use these words in your content while adding to the intent of the content.

Also, bulleted lists and interactive capsules like polls can help you get interaction and attention that will gain you more readers.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
                Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You are doing quite well for a newbie, really.   You just need to be patient.

2. RyanCThomas profile image91
          RyanCThomasposted 6 years agoin reply to this

How did you estimate yourself as getting 30 views? I've always been curious what the "standard" is on hubpages, since I have only my own experience to judge by.

It's really hard to know what is average or good or not good for an active user.  But my intuition based on a few years noodling around with this platform is that one unique hit per hub per day (on average) would be a reasonable baseline expectation.  Many people do much much better, but for your average schlubb like me..... and then you hope for one of those hubs that really takes off.  I have one that makes more than the other 100 put together and I would never have predicted it.

6. Nancy Owens profile image81
      Nancy Owensposted 6 years ago

You need to stop focusing on your fears, Ivan. You get more of what you focus your thoughts on, so more fear is what you are getting. When you continue to write here in the forums about how hubpages is screwing you over, and the other complaints, yet you do not interact with the community anywhere else (by reading in the learning center, and reading and commenting on other writers' work), it could start to look like you are playing people for their sympathies.

Every time a well meaning community member here posts an answer to try to help you, you earn from that. So, just saying that maybe you should be, after 16 months here, take the focus off yourself and put it on lifting up others.

I do not mean to sound uncompassionate, Ivan, but part of your situation is that you have not yet learned to focus on others. I know you talk about having issues with your family, college, and social interactions, but it seems to me that you are stuck in a circular reference in which your focus is on yourself, your fears, what you didn't get growing up, and your struggles with validation.

You will not start to feel better until you look outside that tiny circle and figure out who you will become as an adult, independent of anyone else. This is called autonomy.

We learn to become autonomous by taking responsibility for our thoughts, ideas, opinions, and decisions.

Learn to recognize that failure is a part of life--not a life or death thing. Who is defining failure for you. For example: I would say that you are doing pretty well here for as little as you interact with others. Sixteen months and you are only following a few people? You get tons and tons of answers to your cries for help here in the forums. Many people only get one or two replies.

People have tried to help you, Ivan, but now it is time to step up and help yourself. Only you can create change in your own life.

We here in this forum are not therapists. And I suspect that you, as a highly intelligent person can out-guess any therapist out there about what is going on with you.

People here work very hard and long at their writing and earning from HubPages. It seems that you try only a little, and then complain that you are not getting the results you are seeking. Maybe by just persevering at LEARNING the process through your own efforts, such as reading and studying, the answers you seek will come to you. And when they do, it is up to you to implement and incorporate those ideas into your life.

I believe that you do not want to go through your life having people see you as a victim of insurmountable problems. I think you want to be seen as a successful writer and member of this community. Start being supportive of other people's work even though you might not feel like it.

Realize once and for all that success is not measured in views and money. Success is about who you are as a human being and a professional. The money and views will follow.

Time takes time, Ivan, and you have to be willing to put in the time and the effort.

P.S. I worked a a crisis counselor and personally know that many others struggle with the same issues you have. Somewhere along the line you seem to have developed a coping mechanism that kept you firmly in the victim way of thinking. Continuing in that habit is not serving you well now. You can choose to no longer be a victim. But you still have to do the self-discovery work that might not seem all that fun, because it will involve taking a hard look at your own stuff. We all have things we need to work on no matter how old we are or how much money we make.

If you want to change your life, I would suggest that you begin taking responsibility for the pain you feel by seeking therapy from a quality therapist, one who will not just tell you what you want to hear, but what you need to hear as well.

There is no shame in being who you are, but realize that you may also need to work on changing some of your destructive thought patterns, and that time just takes time.

1. profile image0

Well, Nancy. There are 2 problems with your theory. One, I fear failure. That's why I have not gone back to college and will never go back, ever, and two, I can't do it. The chances of me succeeding in HubPages is a quadrillion to one.

1. Nancy Owens profile image81

Every time you start thinking about fear of failure, you have to consciously stop yourself and make yourself think about something else. It takes consistent practice, but you can do it.

1. profile image0

There's an article on RemedyGrove that'll interest you. It's on my profile.

2. coleikerd profile image80
          coleikerdposted 6 years agoin reply to this

"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." - Henry Ford

I've only been glossing over this forum, but it does seem to me the biggest issue here is not your views. It's the way you're looking at the situation. Not because changing your view would increase views (though I think that'd be a side effect) but because you'd enjoy it more. Your article on the fear of failure even talks about that with some ways to get past that fear. You could always compare yourself to someone else and find yourself lacking. Guess what, so can everyone else. Including the people you compare yourself to.

Give yourself some credit for your accomplishments. Know you're an awesome guy. Know you can do this. Stop harassing yourself. To recycle your own work: "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas A. Edison

Stop bloody kicking yourself for failures! Failure means you're trying.

"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative." - Woody Allen

I could do this quoting thing all day. It's fun.

The point is, you're already on the path of doing. Stop giving yourself crap for having some pretty good accomplishments.

Not that you are required to listen to me. By all means if you want to stay negative do so. You have, however, already stated a clear understanding that the negativity is getting in your way, and you say you'd rather let it go. So I'm calling you out. Do you really want to let it go? If so, follow your own advice. wink

You got this.

1. profile image0

You are right. How i view myself is the point. If i think that im a failure then i am. I've got to stop wallowing in the past and face the future. Move on with my life. Thanks for reading my expert article. Hope you have a wonderful day.

1. coleikerd profile image80
              coleikerdposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Ditto. I say again, you can do it. Believe in yourself. Be kind to yourself. Mistakes happen. Get up again and move on.

2. profile image0

Theres also a third problem, jealousy. I get jealous of people who have achieved more in less time than I did. I can't write 1 article a week. That's impossible.

1. Nancy Owens profile image81

Jealousy is pretty self destructive. Try to celebrate the success of others. When you have a jealous thought, turn it into a positive statement about the other person.

Everyone must go at their own pace. You are not in competition with anyone here at this place.

3. profile image0

I try very hard!! Ive tried harder than most people, ever, not to mention that I'm autistic.

7. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

To not succeed does not mean one has failed. It simply means one has gathered additional information to use in one's next attempt. That truly is life's norm.smile

1. profile image0

Well, to me, one who has not succeeded is weak and can't do things on his/her own. I've failed 3 times. That means I'm a permanent failure. I can't prove to everyone that I am not a failure because I am one.

Ross Perot said he failed 77 times in a row before he succeeded. Do you consider him a failure?

1. profile image0

No. I don't consider him a failure. I consider him a man who did the impossible. I can't do that.

It appears there is someone out there who disagrees with you:

"Erick Hernandez is a highly intelligent autistic man who graduated high school with a Regular Diploma. He's the only man in his living place who has an iMac and can operate it corectly. He researches science, technology, futurism, celebrity, political, wrestling, autisim and climate topics. All he needs is a little positive shove from his critics, and he will succeed. If he believes in himself, he can be much more than just Erick Hernandez, he can be a computer technician, a scientist, a meteorologist, or even an astronaut. All he has to do is put his mind into his work, be constant, and strive to be the best. He's not perfect, but he is his mom's definition of perfection. He could become the next best writer in the world."

1. profile image0

That was before I received over 7 billion critics telling me that I'm a failure.

1. profile image0

Oh wait...I'm the one telling myself that I'm a failure.

2. theraggededge profile image97
                  theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

So you do want to be known as Ivan the Failure.

Okay. That's how we will think of you if that's what you want.

1. profile image0

That's not what I want.

1. profile image0

My self-loathing has to stop, before one of the mods gets me banned.

Right. Get off the forum. Stop whining, and go and research your next article. Prove yourself wrong.

Do you want to be remembered as the man who said "I can't..."?

Or the man who overcame obstacles to say "I can, and I will"?

1. profile image0

I believe it's the second option.

8. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 6 years ago

Is that who you are? Ivan/Erick the Failure?

Is that what you want to be remembered for? The man who called himself a failure?

Okay.

1. profile image0

No, I want to be remembered as Ivan/Erick, the man who overcame several obstacles to get to where he is today. The problem is I don't have the right type of help.

Took me years and years before I understood what I do today. Overcoming fear is hard, but one thing you can try is to develop more patience for yourself. My son is austistic, he has aspergers. I understand how you feel. I just hope you can find a way to believe in yourself. It isn't easy finding the right kind of help. You have to do tons of research. If I were you I would take a step back and research the knowledgebase, the algorithm, machine learning and the artificial intelligence rank brain (my bff for life).

9. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

You should work harder and more often, and post a lot less cry baby mess in these forums. It makes me sick to see all your crying here. It's in my feed here every day, and I do not appreciate seeing it. Grow up and work.

1. profile image0

I'm just going to ignore you and move on, because you are really starting to bug me.

I think you are both bugging each other!

2. Bedbugabscond profile image95

From the Hubpages Faq
        https://hubpages.com/faq/

"What is the Feed?
        The Feed shows activity by Hubbers, articles, Topics, Questions, and Forum threads that you follow."

Wouldn't that mean you can just unfollow him and you don't have to see his posts in your feed? And you could unfollow the forum thread?

The quality of the site matters. Some of us are happy to patiently help until Hubpages takes over the world. If it "makes you sick" then please just unfollow him.

He isn't following him, Bedbugabscond. Erick's forum posts usually get a lot of replies, so they come up on many people's feeds. Do YOU follow Erick? Maybe he's following people who have responded to Erick, so that's why it's shown up. I very much doubt he's following someone who annoys him.

I would like to be helpful and add to the community. Getting annoyed is a normal human reaction. Choosing how to respond is up to each of us. The negativity and quite honestly biased hateful language being used does not add to this thread. Just swipe on by it, ignore it, but keep it civil.

Keep it civil is the second bullet of forum rules. I feel they are being broken. I am choosing to communicate that. Social inequality must go, sorry. Erik freely shares that he is autistic, and he is being called names. Not right. Let's have some sensitivity for differences.

If you do not understand what I am saying, please research autism. Learn about something new. Then you might begin to understand what I am saying in this post.

3. NateB11 profile image88
        NateB11posted 6 years agoin reply to this

It's been awhile since I've messed with feed settings, but at any rate, if you click on feed settings at the top of your feed and then click on a tab that says "hidden", I think you can hide posts from specific users.

4. profile image0

You know you do have the option to unfollow me. click on my profile and click the unfollow button. I don't need you anyway. As I said, I'm going to just ignore you and move on.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
          Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I have <snipped> hidden in that way. Of course I have others hidden. But it doesn't really do much because his crying shows up still in my feed when other persons who I've not hidden comment on them.

<snipped>. Maybe the staff will work on it more.

1. profile image0

theraggededge!! Help!! I tried to be reasonable with him, but he keeps mean-mugging my posts. If he continues like this, I'm going to have to report him. I've tried very hard to help him with his "Ivan the baby crying whining b*tch" problems, but it's not enough. He wants me gone. People, report Wessman so that I can move on.

1. melbel profile image95
              melbelposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Then stop engaging him by commenting on his behavior.

1. theraggededge profile image97

+1

Leave him be, Erick.

10. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

And come back with questions about how to improve that hub, that you actually follow.

11. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 6 years ago

Pssst.... I think he's gone.

Looking forward to the next hub, Erick. x

I find it disappointing to see members of our community using words like annoying and cry baby. I know you feel like you have seen these questions a thousand times. Maybe you even feel like he isn't listening.

I believe we are all on a unique journey and progress at our own pace in our own way. We were all young once, and we were all new to this once. We take different paths to education and actualization.

You can see who begins a thread. If you do not wish to answer a question by a user anymore, then don't click on the thread. Please refrain from doing what I consider bullying someone for moving at a different pace in a different way.

Constructive criticism fine. Telling him to stop being afraid is good. However, using language like annoying and cry baby promotes a negative atmosphere. This thread is about the op trying to find an answer he hasn't found. Not because he isn't listening, because he hasn't had his aha moment.

Basically, if you don't have something constructive to add to the thread then please don't post to the thread.

Let's build together, not tear each other down. We are not here to argue we are here to grow together. Let's be the respect you want to see.

Are you specifically addressing me? As it was my post you responded to.

You have no idea how much I help Erick. He emails me with questions and I respond to him. You get to know how someone operates. Sometimes he needs gentle encouragement; at other times he needs a bit of a telling off. He went off to work on one of his hubs after this exchange.

I am addressing you and Wessman and anyone else who uses negative language in a public forum. It makes no difference how long you have been trying to help him. There is never an excuse for name calling. This is not the medium for your frustration. You may or may not be offending him but your language has offended me. I won't respond anymore because we are hijacking the thread. You can get your last word too. You may not listen to me, but Im telling you that you and another in this thread have been very rude in some of our eyes.

You two might have a private relationship, but this is a public forum where we can only make judgments based on what we see publicly. If you really believe he needs to be told off in a way that breaks forum rules, why dont you do it in am email? Be aware there are silent users who read these threads who don't know your personal situation with him who come here for help. Think about how your readers might feel. I email with other users too, and some of them think you are being pretty harsh.  I know people who won't read the forum because of stuff like this. So you might be trying to help, but your actions might be doing the reverse for the people who don't like to post.  You can email me if you really feel the need to defend yourself. I guess I shouldn't expect you to care about my opinion or try to look at this from a different point of view.

I see that you chose my post to respond to and not the 'other person' who was actually rude to him.

If you could point to any post on this thread where I name-called Erick, I would be grateful. I did respond to him asking him if he wanted to be known for what he keeps calling himself, but as far as I can see, your accusation is unfounded and uncalled for. And, if you read his comments after that, he came to a positive conclusion in that he needed to stop his self-deprecating. Next thing he went off to work on a hub and I tried to help him with the title.

I don't need to defend myself as my posts and language speak for themselves. You see what you choose to see. If you are offended, that is your prerogative, I'm pretty sure Erick knows I wasn't being mean to him. Quite the opposite, in fact.  And, if you have read any other of his threads, you will know that I have stood up for him pretty vociferously when other forum members have been foul to him.

I can see that the post where you called him annoying are edited or gone. Thank you.

I have not deleted or edited any of my posts. You are confusing me with someone else.

Can you not see where I posted a x? In the UK that's a kiss.

Edit: Oh, and when I do edit, apart from correcting typos, I do it like this.

Edit2: So... if you want to give someone a lecture in future, make sure you choose the right person, yes?

1. profile image0

Someone was being rude to me. He said "I am sick of your constant moaning and crying. People like you make my life worse!" I wanted to retalliate by reporting him or at least cursing him, but I simply ignored him like any civilized man would do.

And that's the way to deal with it. Well done. A couple of months ago that would have really upset you. Now you can see comments like that for what they are. Remember it's usually the person complaining who has the problem.

2. Bedbugabscond profile image95

Your right, good for you. I will try to ignore it too. I believe that was Wessman who said that. My apologies Bev.

2. profile image0

theraggededge said this "Do you forever want to be known as Erick the Failure, or Erick the successfull, yet mentally challenged, elite writer?" Wessman insulted me. Not following him, ever.

Those weren't entirely my words, Erick. I don't think I have ever described you as 'mentally challenged'. In fact, I think you are mentally very able. It's your emotional responses that need soothing smile

1. profile image0

I have acquired more than 70 views since yesterday across all of my articles.

12. Thomas Finney profile image71
      Thomas Finneyposted 6 years ago

Dude I have over 100 and with a variety of different kinds of hubs and I still don't have alot of views.

13. Mamerto profile image90
      Mamertoposted 6 years ago

You're no failure. Just keep on writing and you will get your views soon. I was told that hubs need to age to get views. Try promoting in social media, reddit and any forum sites for a quick traffic. I get 500 views by posting in facebook (just find a group with a similar interests as your hubs).

PS. I don't want to offend someone but why would anyone call a challenged dude a crybaby? I think it is unprofessional and insensitive.

14. Mamerto profile image90
      Mamertoposted 6 years ago

Chill, I'm not referring to you. I've been reviewing the thread and you never said he is a crybaby. I don't join threads like this quite often so I might have misplaced a reply. Any way I'm sorry smile

PS, I don't have autism but I could relate to this guy. I have some not so pleasant memories back in highschool.

15. profile image0

Now, I have a fairly high average daily view of 72, but that could be temporary.

16. newbizmau profile image88
      newbizmauposted 6 years ago

I know that most writers here have some sort of social media presence on blogs, facebook or youtube. Some writers even have their own websites and a lot of traffic and come from them. Do you have any of those?

17. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

No one ever gets "lots of traffic" from their own website to their Hubs. It's an old strategy that hasn't worked for a very long time

18. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago

I've been on Hub Pages for 8 years, and have 300+ articles.  It took years of learning how to tweak things from print journalism to online writing.  It's a process.

If you have under 30 articles, you simply don't have enough content presence to get noticed, especially if "The Big G"  (Google) isn't finding your articles interesting enough to place in the first 2 or 3 search pages.

Yes, it's frustrating, but that's just the way it is.   It took me a few years to learn that.  And yes, I still struggle with some of it.

Talk to us again when you pass the 100 articles mark...

19. Lea Clark profile image55
      Lea Clarkposted 6 years ago

I just want to say that as a very new member (a couple of hours), I actually found the advice on the topic (minus the rude comments and deviations into hurt feelings, etc.) to be very helpful. I tend to be a read first/research second/write third kind of person. A lot of people can write. Writing for online exposure is a completely different animal. Since I am already aware of this, I am grateful to those who have responded with well organized answers that I can put to use before I even submit my first article.

20. michelleonly3 profile image92
      michelleonly3posted 6 years ago

Your article titles are too long. This makes the articles difficult to search. Also I would consider leaving your personal opinions about people out of your writing. If you think something is right or wrong, substantiate it. Don't use emotional responses in scientific articles. Good luck.

21. JoanneKristin profile image87
      JoanneKristinposted 6 years ago

Write for yourself!

22. profile image0

Not to give you any news, but Everyone's Hubberscore is elevated. Even poppy's Hubberscore is elevated. It's at 99. theraggededge's score is at 100 and my score is in the low 90s. It's strange.

23. Venkatachari M profile image87
      Venkatachari Mposted 6 years ago

You are not alone there. There might be many others like you and me having views in single digits. I have 46 articles and same is the case with me even after 3 years.
      The articles should be search friendly and much appealing to the viewers.
      We need much more improvement in our presentation styles.

24. profile image0

Good thing I posted my levelskip article to reddit. I got like 780 views in one day. I earned a combined total of over $3.50, and the average CPM for those days are in the $14.33 range. I earned over 210 impressions.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)