Let's discuss marriage folks!!!!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (26 posts)
  1. worldgrandeur profile image58
    worldgrandeurposted 14 years ago

Now, married or unmarried yet, what is a sucessful marriage and how do you think it can be successful? What are the factors behind a successful mariage.............?

1. akirchner profile image92
      akirchnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Being successful would mean marrying or being with someone who could also be your best friend.  Going on 35 years, that is what I've found to be the "secret" to success. If you are lucky enough to find someone who you can trust no matter WHAT and who will love you no matter WHAT, that is the key!

2. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Real Love, and "GIVE and TAKE Equaly!" in my humble opinion that is

Jon

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

a successful marriage is whatever works for the two people who made the commitment. love is required, trust, desire, working together. if you're not willing to work at it, it will fail.

spending time together~
      spending time apart~
      doing things for each other and not depending on the other to do everything~
      having common interests~
      having personal interests~

4. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wouldn't have a clue.
      However, I think a successful relationship is complicated and tremendous work, at best. It's about each being able to be who they need to be without it threatening the other, and feeling safe with the other. There's some autonomy, and there's some real commitment, at whatever is agreeable to both.

There's much more, but that's it in a nutshell.
      That's what I think.

5. dohn121 profile image81
      dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Communication is the key to good marriage...I've seen so many marriages fall apart because of the lack thereof.

1. profile image0
        Useful Knowledgeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Dohn.

2. shamelabboush profile image51
    shamelabboushposted 14 years ago

Understanding and love... i think!

3. profile image0
    Wendi Mposted 14 years ago

Maturity...having been divorced 3 times, I can honestly say that maturity was a key factor that was missing within myself.

4. Dominionmaster2 profile image60
    Dominionmaster2posted 14 years ago

I think a good marriage is based on trust and a great deal of mutual respect. Allowing your husband or wife the room to be themselves is very important. At least to me it is

5. yoshi97 profile image55
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

marriage is mutual understanding, and realizing that no two minds will ever totally agree on anything. smile

6. profile image0
    GLORYposted 14 years ago

Marriage is companionship.Husband,wife and children are a small unit of society.All happy members make a sound marriage.

7. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

Marriage is  sentence, not a word!

1. frogdropping profile image76
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I see you're spreading good vibes and happiness as always. Good skull that smile

1. profile image0
        bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm just trying to brighten your day Dammit!

1. frogdropping profile image76
          frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You do. I can't tell you how much your name and avatar lightens my darker moments smile

1. profile image0
            bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's comments like yours that make my time on here worth it.

8. NaomiR profile image75
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

I'm going on 10 years now, and we've been together for 12. That said, I think a good marriage is based on love, trust, equality and communication. It's also important, I think, to maintain some of your individuality. Both of us have our own hobbies and groups of friends who we spend time with. Though we do most things together, we often do things separately, too ... and it's nice because then we can come home and share what we did. It gives us some space and keeps things interesting -- and we appreciate the time we have together even more.

9. Wonder_Woman profile image57
    Wonder_Womanposted 14 years ago

Hmm…well.. my bf and I have been dating for over 5 years. I think of him as my best friend. We broke up  when he got laid off, he just became depressed and pushed himself away from everyone. In my heart I knew he was worth it so I stood by his side even though I watched him do many things that would make any other women just pack her things and leave. Once he came out of his depression, did some soul searching he realized that we had was worth it.  getting to the point… no relationship is perfect their will be times your relationship will be tested. If you genuinely love that person you will be by their side to help them and not use that as any type of ammunition for future arguments. I also believe a couple should be free to do their own things, like he has poker night with his friends once or twice a week. We try to plan dates, even if its going to a movie, going to the park, going to a museum, the fact that you continue adding some romantic time for each other will create memories that help you bond. I’m surprised no one has mentioned, sex. Sure when you have been with someone for an amount of time maybe sex might not seem just as exiting as the first time but the way I see it, your spouse is your outlet for fantasies. Have fun, be crazy! Have sex in new places, buy role play outfits, buy new lingerie, experiment on fantasies. Well that’s just my 2 cents

1. PWalker profile image61
      PWalkerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree with you more on many of your statements! My husband and I went through a similar situation with his job while we were dating and he tried to break up with me so many times, but I stuck through because I could see who he really was at the time. Being there for your spouse no matter what is what is missing in today's marriages. Nobody wants to stick around and work it out. People are just like "Divorce! Divorce!" as soon as the roses stop blooming. There are a few exceptions like adultery or abuse that should fall into the divorce category, but other than that...work it out! Communication, Unconditional Love (ex.for richer or poorer), patience, sensitivity, etc. are all needed for a successful marriage.

1. Wonder_Woman profile image57
        Wonder_Womanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes exactly, I learned that we almost broke up bc he felt ashamed that he didn’t have a job, he  felt I could find someone better. I agree with you as well, If that person is worth it don’t give up

10. hinckles koma profile image61
    hinckles komaposted 14 years ago

Marriage is a commitment to raise kids.  I love him but the truth is not to much in love, is there a difference? its not exiting anymore and too constantly try and try,it takes the whole point away sometimes. The reality is its soo hard to keep a relationship flowing natural when kids are in the spot light. Marriage: i just tell strangers were going out a week and iam babysitting kids. lol They tell us wait till you have your own kids. Wow i cant wait i say while my son laughs at me. Its a blast to forget your married and start over. ok seriously when marriage becomes work or work on marriage its basically over in my opinion. We work already why should love be work? Is it work in the beginning?

11. Rehma Jamshed profile image60
    Rehma Jamshedposted 14 years ago

Married. I think the most important factors for a successful marriage are transparency and respect.

12. profile image0
    Linda Myshrallposted 14 years ago

Marriage...

You're either fer it or agin' it.  I guess I'm fer it, because I've signed on the dotted line more than once.

Here's what I know about it.  Choose carefully, and keep in mind all of the good advice listed above... excepting what the creepy looking skull said wink

Pick someone you're attracted to (remember 'til death do you part is a long time) and pick someone who has your back.  That way you can avoid all that fighting.  blech.

11-years this time and it's easy and fun because HE kicks rump and takes names.  I say two thumbs up for it.

13. europewalker profile image80
    europewalkerposted 14 years ago

Trust and not trying to change each other. You connected for a reason, keep your own personalities and interests. That has worked for me and my husband for 24 years.

14. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Male obedience.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)