Paris Olympics 2024 Medal Tally

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Venkatachari M profile image85
    Venkatachari Mposted 2 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/17143711.jpg
    Hmm! China scored 37 Gold and topped the tally. But America got more than 100 medals overall and is placed in 2nd position. So, Americans are more talented in Sports. Is Gold the norm to decide rankings?
    Here is the Top-Ten tally.

1. wilderness profile image90
      wildernessposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Gold is the norm...if you are Chinese.

If American, the total number of medals is what really counts.

If Australian, they have about 2 medals per million people, while America has only about 1 per 3 million.  Medals per capita is how to choose the best country.

Spin it however makes you feel good.

Venkatachari Mposted 2 months agoin reply to this

I like your perspective. Per Capita is a worthy norm.

1. Castlepaloma profile image77
          Castlepalomaposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Population and gold per million

1.    Bahamas 8    389,482    20.5
          2    Hungary    181    9,684,679    18.7
          3    Finland    101    5,532,156    18.3
          4    Bermuda    1    62,506    16.0
          5    Sweden    148    10,036,379    14.7
          6    Norway    60    5,378,857    11.2
          7    New Zealand    534,783,063    11.1
          8    Grenada    1    112,003    8.9
          9    Jamaica    26    2,948,279    8.8
          10    Denmar 48    5,771,876    8.3

US ranked 59th and China 78th.

2. tsmog profile image87
      tsmogposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Like Wilderness pointed out there are different perspectives to fit someone's fancy. I always raise an eye brow with both the gold count and the total count. But, I smile with glee with the track & field medal tally, which the U.S. dominated from what I understand. See link next a Google landing page that shows the tally.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi … edal+tally

I participated in track & field in high school and college, so have a strong interest in it. I especially enjoyed immensely the men and women's relay events seeing them on TV. Relay events were always the most enjoyable when I ran. My best time running the half-mile was running a leg of one event.

OMG - have you seen the womens 4X400 relay?  It was incredible!

Can't take my eyes of Sha'Carri Richardson
          American track athlete.

Most beautiful I've ever seen running.

2. Venkatachari M profile image85

Tim, I always admire your deep research talents. You point out things with shreds of evidence and supported links.

And, glad to know about your activities. During my childhood, I played only street games like cricket, Gulli Danda, and Kabaddi with my neighbors. I used to be very shy and meek in schools and colleges. My involvement in household tasks also didn't permit me to devote time for sports.

3. Ken Burgess profile image70
      Ken Burgessposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Didn't watch, haven't paid much attention to the Olympics since the 90s.

But back in those days America dominated winning and medals.

Its interesting to see that the norm is for China to dominate them now.

It appears the Olympics reflect, to some degree, what is going on in the world in terms of economics, trade and leadership.

Australia benefiting from Russia's absence to claim the #3 spot.

Today's medal tally shows the US at no.1 Rank and China at 2, both countries with 40 Gold Medals.

2. Castlepaloma profile image77

Russia has been kept away from the Olympic games, for the fourth time now.
        Back in the 70s and 80s Russia dominated the Olympics metals.  That's when men were men and women were men too.

Yes, it is Politics. Olympics, Cricket, etc. depict the political atmosphere around the world.

2. Jodah profile image88
    Jodahposted 2 months ago

Yes, Venkat. Wilderness described it perfectly. Countries usually use the stats that best suit their achievements. Mostly they are ranked in the number of gold achieved, but the USA often chooses total medal count, and Australia both number of gold and total medals per capita.

So, John, you like the per capita count. I also accept it as a good standard for judging the talents of a country or place.

3. Genna East profile image90
    Genna Eastposted 2 months ago

Thanks for the update, Venkat.  Yes, the US uses total tallies.  The US does have more people and athletes, but also a strong sports culture, and four seasons across a broad geography that support training – especially, summer.  Yet ironically, per capita, we also have the least amount of people who could ever qualify for the Olympics. I’ve always preferred the Winter Games (figure skating/ice dancing are my favs), and I have to say it was a pleasure to see the US figure skating team members in Paris last week finally receive the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics Gold Medals in exchange for the Silver after waiting for more than two years.

That was pretty neat, wasn't it?  And the comment from one of the team, that they were glad the time was taken to really investigate it, was great, too.

It is a Sunday today. A cooking day for us as the cook gets off on Sundays. So, I have been late in acknowledging all the above replies/comments.

Thank you all for those informative replies/comments.

Genna, I am also a fan of Skating and Ice Hockey, etc. I enjoy both winter and summer games. I am a great fan of cricket.

4. Eric Caunca profile image98
    Eric Cauncaposted 2 months ago

https://hubstatic.com/17144409.jpg

5. IslandBites profile image92
    IslandBitesposted 2 months ago

I honestly dont care about the rankings. Im proud and happy with our two bronze medals.

Btw, I can get behind that "per capita" thing. lol

I might, too.  But, realistically, it doesn't work very well, either. 

If the US put as many athletes, per capita, into Paris as the Bahamas did we would certainly have won some more.  But we didn't - we can't.  Olympic limits catch up pretty quickly and we can't even come close to the figure of athletes per capita that the Bahamas did. 

It might even help if we paid our winners more - I saw where the gold medalist from the Phillipines got a quarter million dollars, a house, an apartment and...wait for it...free colonoscopies for life.  I'm sure we'd have a lot more athletes if we gave them all free colonoscopies for life. lol

Basically, I agree with you; whatever a country comes up with, including naught but massive effort, it is something to be proud of.  When you consider what those athletes have gone through, how they've worked for years and years, the sacrifices they've made - it is worthy of massive respect with or without a medal.

1. GA Anderson profile image82
        GA Andersonposted 2 months agoin reply to this

I had that "respect" thought for every event I watched. Even the least in the rankings was an achiever.

GA

2. Castlepaloma profile image77

I've been on the Canadain national swim team. But had to bow out of the Olympics, due the Arts payed me more to live by.  Imagine that, the arts being the lowest on the financial totem pole,  pays more than being a swimmers.
        An athlete financial life span is very short, Yet a sculptor artist hits their prime in their 60s. I'm still an international sculptor competitor at nearly age 70.

One olympic wrestler won gold at age 41. He won 5 golds in 5 Olympics. Has any Olympician done better than him, in their athletic life span? Even professional athletes are cooked at that age.

3. Venkatachari M profile image85

I am glad to see so many comments on this thread. Each commenter expresses some important point.

I hope our governments will provide much better opportunities and facilities to the players/participants who are contesting on behalf of their countries.

4. Castlepaloma profile image77

American earning $36,000 for a gold mental.  Won't cover the bill until the next olympic in four years. Depending on what sport your in, can make a good living in sponsorship.  What a person learns about their desire, attitude and focus. Talent being the least important. Will take a persons work ethic into high energy into anything that person cares to pursuit.

I don't get it. Do you say they get $36000 by selling a medal? The Gold medal doesn't cost even $1000.

And, talent is the most important requirement for doing anything. Without talent, nobody can survive.

The Governments pays each athletes  money for achieving  gold mentals.

Everyone has talent of some kind.
            What's more important is desire, then attitude,  that's how a person gets along with others. Then focus the determination to execute your goals and dreams.

A basketball player may have natural talent being tall, also talent can be required.  Without the skills of the 3 desire,attitude and focus. With all the work and love ethics,  talent gose no where.

There were three other more talented people than me in art classes. The difference is those three other artist didn't choose art as a profession, I did for most waking hours of my life, 50 years of it. Most important work and love.

5. Eric Caunca profile image98
        Eric Cauncaposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Don't forget Filipino olympic medalists also receive condos, free flights for both local and international travel for life, free lifetime buffets, free life time gasoline supply and more.

IslandBites, (I hope I can address like this), I fully agree with you. I started this discussion only for some engagement with our fellow hubbers. Personally, I respect all our players and participants in any tournaments or matches irrespective of their achievements, I love my country winning one Silver and 5 Bronze medals, though our population is more than 125 crores.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)