Northwest Airline Pilots miss Airport by 150 miles? Whats up with this

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

Amazing story I heard on ABC news this evening. Plane missing and finally found. Pilots claim in heated discussion on company policy. (yeah right) Tower controllers could not get in contact with pilots.

Asleep? More likely. Makes me worry more about flying. There needs to be more safety guideline in place. Have read time after time about pilots complaining about not getting enough rest between flights.

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/northwest- … d=8892976#

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

dam lucky if you ask me, Auto Pilots depending on their maintence, calibration and up-keep are sometimes un-reliable, they really escaped a near disaster. Dam stupid move IMO

2. Auntie M profile image62
      Auntie Mposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have a cousin who works for the FAA and you really don't want to know all there is to keeping air travel safe. More money and man hours would be required and tax payers are strung out as it is. The industry plays the odds. They crunch the numbers and do what they can to keep the most safe. And believe me there are  regulations that keep tight tabs on the airline industry. Again it is costly. And I do not mean to imply that anyones life is expendable.
      Unfortunately I believe that the requirements to pilot an airline plane are not as strict as they once were. I remember when Peoples Express starter. Only military trained pilots were hired and we know what training the pilot had who safely landed that jet into the Hudson.
      I agree that the pilots on the jet that overpassed the airport were definately preoccupied.

3. AviationGrind profile image59
      AviationGrindposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They have alot of fatigue these days.  There is the constant expectation by the airlines to do way more for way less sleep due to the downturn in the economy.  This makes for increasingly dangerous situations for both passengers and crew.
      Also the post 9-11 procedures allow limited to no contact with the flight attendants during flight for security reasons to keeping the cockpit door secured during flight.

This is also not good for the pilots since we are not able to check on them as often any longer to see if they need coffee, are awake or need someone to chat with them to stay alert. During all nite red eye flights when I flew purser lead we checked on them every 20 mins with coffee and conversation to ensure they were awake.  This is no longer the case and with the new heavy schedules and reduced sleep is going to spell a disaster in just a matter of time. Hopefully, the FAA and DOT will address these issues before we lose an entire aircraft due to pilot fatigue.

2. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

wow.

that is pretty amazing.

i have heard that things are so bad some pilots only make TEN DOLLARS AN HOUR...can you believe that?

incredible yikes

3. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Yeah. Evidently they were "distracted". Sheesh!

4. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Maybe they should let um drink while flying, always kept me up!

Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol, then who knows where they would land.

1. Auntie M profile image62
        Auntie Mposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is really funny!!!

And wherever you land, you'll be smiling and won't feel a thing!!! lol

5. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

the scary part is, some do drink just before taking off...

6. sannyasinman profile image60
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

Its all to do with 2012 - the Earth's magnetic north has shifted. Scary stuff . . yikes

1. manlypoetryman profile image82
      manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. profile image0
      arvinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, tell me abouit it..Its scary stuff.

7. NGRIA Bassett profile image61
    NGRIA Bassettposted 14 years ago

See, there is terrorism that kept us out of the cockpit so the pilots can surf all the way to space with the passengers in tow!We must have a pilot watch dog group on board every flight!!!!

8. TimTurner profile image70
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

Apparently, they were on the laptops.

But they failed to answer any calls for over an hour which is strictly against FAA rules.  They said they were concentrating on flight schedules so hard that they didn't hear any calls coming in.

Hmmm...very odd.  They are either lying to cover up the fact that they fell asleep or they were working on something and purposely didn't hear the calls.

Your entire job as a pilot is to use communication devices and radar to guide you.  Especially when the government is trying to get a hold of you!  haha

9. profile image0
    arvinoposted 14 years ago

I think this is the first real propfecy that people are taking as fact today. Even though there are many more prophecies that has already predicted the time of the end.

10. Song-Bird profile image68
    Song-Birdposted 14 years ago

Very scary!  It doesn't make me feel very good about flying.

11. frequentflyer profile image59
    frequentflyerposted 13 years ago

I have something to say, A lot of people I have heard attacked Northwest about this incident. It was the pilots fault and yes Northwest hired them but. This could happen to any airline and Northwest has strict rules for pilots about what they do or talk about in the cockpit.

Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are right, it was the Pilots, not the Airline.  I bet this did get the attention of a lot of Airlines though and hopefully they tightened up procedures while flying.

1. frequentflyer profile image59
        frequentflyerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do hope this as well, but I will add (i just thought of this) that pilots should be much more responsible and treat flying and those who are flying amongst them, with a VERY high level of safety. They should never think of flying as a walk in the park. I wanted to say that because I have noticed that some pilots although how ever much training they get they still fail to treat flying with a high level of safety.

12. natken profile image59
    natkenposted 13 years ago

WOOOOOW THING LIKE THAT MAKE YOU SCARED OF FLYING

1. NathanSyckel profile image60
      NathanSyckelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Flying is super-safe man. Just because these pilots made some errors doesn't mean you should be afraid of flying.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)