How Do You THINK?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (60 posts)
  1. repstrydiefly profile image65
    repstrydieflyposted 14 years ago

Obviously, we all have a brain. The question is: How do YOU use your brain to think?

Do you research all your ideas?

Do you ask all of the questions that your brain creates?

Do you hold back a lot of secrets?

Do you use your thoughts for creativity?

Do you judge people or accept people and love them for who they are?

Please tell me how exactly do you use your brain in this world of thought.

1. marinealways24 profile image61
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I constantly argue and debate myself. I wouldn't learn if I always agreed with myself.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, I guess that would depend on the topic we are talking about.

You will always agree with yourself as long as you have true knowledge and you understand that knowledge.

If you are arguing about something you know little about, then obviously you can not agree with yourself, because your conscience tells you it would wrong to do, because you don't have all the facts to begin with.

But, in some case, I can see you being always correct.

lol  lol  lol

Thank you.

I think it is possible to be logically correct always if the explanation is logically flawless. The only way a logical explanation can be proven wrong is if it's believed or put together with faith. On not having facts, you are right. Logical facts can not be explained when there are gaps. Then again, nothing is absolute unless you believe it is.

1. profile image0
            EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't confuse logic with facts LOL.  Something can be logical yet completely stupid and not based on facts at all. 

For example:

"All cats speak Klingon.  Fluffy is a cat.  Therefore she speaks Klingon"

is logical, yet it's obviously nonsensical, since we all know that cats don't speak Klingon!

Yes, when the statement "All cats speak Klingon" is absolute. Absolutes contradict logic as well. There is no logic in an absolute statement or belief.

1. profile image0

Ah, but.

"On planet Earth, the sun always rises in the east at dawn.  It is dawn now.  Therefore the sun is rising in the east."

...an example of a statement being both absolute *and* logical.  Not to mention factually true as well!

The planet Earth is not absolute nor is the sun. These are names we termed them. Again, absolutes contradict logic. There are no absolute facts unless they are believed.

1. profile image0

This sounds a bit like the "if a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound if there's no-one around to hear it?" question.  Being a simple soul, I'd just reply that the tree's falling still produces vibrations in the air which would lead to a sound being heard if there's anyone around with ears and a brain to process it. 

The fact that I'm sitting here typing this forum post, with gravity holding me down on the surface of this planet is good enough for me.  Things exist regardless of the names we give them.

2. repstrydiefly profile image65
        repstrydieflyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's very true, but how will you find peace if you can never come to conclusions? So you think that everything you think is wrong and deserves debating?

Good questions. I had to work to answer them. I think peace is only acheived in absolute faith. Saying this, if I had absolute faith that I was at peace, I would believe I was at peace. If I only focused on peaceful thoughts, this wouldn't be logical. Only faith equals peace I think. Yes, everything can be considered wrong when not believing in absolutes. Belief in absolutes is content with the knowledge known in sacrifice of possibly missing something that is unknown. I believe logic is the best "attempt" at defining absolute meaning.

Is that the logic behind the absolute answers you gave to my questions?

No. None of my answers are absolute unless you believe they are. I don't believe they are absolute. It was my attempt at a logical explanation.

2. starme77 profile image77
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I research the ideas I have that peak a certain level of interest, the others, I just forget about.

I ask tons of questions, but of all the ones my brain creates, I try to narrow it down to the most relevant

with two teenagers in the house I really can't keep any secrets,
      heck, I can't keep the change in my top drawer for that matter...

I constantly use my thoughts for creativity

I am accepting of others and love them for who they are. Judgment is something I do not appreciate when done to me, therefore I treat others as I would like to be treated.

What type of ideas interest you and what types don't interest you?

Could you state some questions that would not be relevant to ask? I was always told that no question is a stupid question.

Haha, I could understand how it is hard to keep secrets. Have you ever tried to keep secrets? And how did that work out for you?

How do you use your thoughts for creativity? Writing, drawing, poetry, leisure, work, painting, music? What exactly do you do with your thoughts that is creative? I can tell you that I like to write poetry.

That is outstanding that you accept people for who they are, because if you can do that, then you will also be accepted in return. Maybe not everybody you come in contact with, but if they don't accept you then they obviously have some issues or insecurities to work out.

3. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

i have no idea my thoughts just attack sometimes

Are you talking about like now?

lol lol lol (just kidding)

1. profile image0
          sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm a Christian so that means I don't think.

You being a 'christian' doesn't have anything to do with whether or not you can think.

The question of the topic- How Do You Think?

Your religious belief cloud your knowledge and understanding of life, but doesn't pertain to your ability to think.

Everyone can think- HOW you think or form thoughts is what he his trying to get at.

As for your response to my statement and laugh at Justine, is not your place to comment, because I was talking to her, as an individual. I did so, because she is a person I like to call friend(she is a fan).

I like poking fun at friends and seeing what they do or how they respond. It teaches me more about them and since I don't know anyone on a personal format from hubpages, I have to do whatever it takes to learn.

So, I'm not exactly sure why you would respond to my comment placed for someone else's understanding. It makes no sense.

You had to have thought of something if you replied to this post. Just because you are religious does not mean you can't be logical about certain things, unless you are one of those people who say God is everything. Then you may have a problem.

2. profile image0

yeah....they are mean to me sometimes

How are your thoughts mean to you?

Please share this train of thought with me? I want to know.

1. profile image0

they wont stop when i want them too. im not sure how to explain it right.

Thoughts never stop running through your mind. Ideas and creativity is your gift to yourself. Don't bend to the mean thoughts, but shutter them aside for positive.

If you see something mean or doesn't seem fair, I would suggest you evaluate a positive method for understanding the mean thought and what it might suggest.

If you're unsure about your control over your thoughts, don't be. You can select the thoughts you want to use for your benefit and discard or let pass, the ones you don't need.

Whatever you do - do not give up and any information your brain receives....just try to focus on your life and what effects you, as an individual. With friends and family, your thoughts can be really active, but your love for them is what drives those thoughts. If something is bad or mean, when you're thinking about them- set it aside and take time to think about what or how it became a mean thought.

Always remember, knowledge is key to understanding.

1. profile image0

wow.

2. marinealways24 profile image61

It sounds like you have ADD. It can be good or bad. Depending on what you do with it.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
                  rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that doesn't mean she has ADD! that has to be diagnosed.

most people cannot control their thoughts. try it. try to make a thought stop...

meditation can help over time and it requires time and patience, but you can start to control your thoughts more. justine, perhaps look into some basic meditation practices.

lol Trouble controlling thoughts is ADD. This is why they prescribe adderall. To focus thoughts. It is possible to control thoughts without meditation or drugs. Thoughts can be controlled with logic rather than emotions and faith.

3. repstrydiefly profile image65

In what ways do your thoughts attack?

4. Brian Leighton profile image58
      Brian Leightonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How do YOU use your brain to think?
      I take it for granted how my brain works but I value it's ability to reason and allow me make decisions about many things in my life.

Do you research all your ideas?
      No, I only research ideas that I feel warrant extra time being spent on them. Other ideas just get thrown away or executed in a spontaneous manner.

Do you ask all of the questions that your brain creates?
      Yes, I do ask all of the questions that my brain creates, but some questions can be just a mirror of something I have just read or watched on TV.

Do you hold back a lot of secrets?
      I do not consider that I hold back a lot of secrets, but when someone confides in me, then I am true to my word and their secret remains a secret.

Do you use your thoughts for creativity?
      Yes, but a lot of the time real life matters interferes with creativity when deadlines have to be met etc. 

Do you judge people or accept people and love them for who they are?
      I am human and yes, a lot of the times I judge people based on the level of trust I feel between them and myself. However, I believe that everyone should be given a chance and respect of other peoples opinions is paramount in the world we live in today.

Please tell me how exactly do you use your brain in this world of thought.
      I try to use my brain to analyse things in a fair and optimistic manner, but sometimes I cannot find reason or justify some cruel things that happen in our world today.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Well, to be quite honest with you and myself- I finished a very long study of religion, which has lead to present way of thinking.

And, no I'm not a religious nut.

I have had a unique experience while researching many questions I wanted answered. It took quite a long time to find the answer and I enjoyed the journey it took to get here now.

I've found a new clarity about life, in general, and how people can simplify their own life, if they want to try. If you don't want to try, then you don't have to. The choice is yours.

How ever, I found that life can be broken down into several component pieces:

(1) You're human - you possess a consciousness.
    (2) You're to guide your life via your individual conscience.
    (3) You're to understand the nature of man and woman.
    (4) You're to understand the truth about what reality is.

Knowing these 4 things, eliminates anyone from gaining control of your life. Unless, you willingly give up your own control.

The human consciousness is what tells each person that they are alive. This single characteristic allows you to think for yourself. Meaning, you have control of your mind- the thought process and you have control of whatever actions your body takes.

You are equipped with a right and wrong indicator, known as your conscience. That's self-explanatory.

To understand the nature of man and woman is to understand that each person has to put SELF before others. Your individual survival is a must and everything in your power should be focused on that.

To understand reality is to see it for what it is- reality exists. Reality exists freely from independent thoughts, desires, will or wishes. Reality is all knowable.

That means, anything that doesn't register on your 5 senses isn't real. If you cannot see, taste, touch, smell, or hear it, then it isn't real.

I live myself by making my own decisions, guided by my own moral conscience and I refuse to understand the misguided notion that mankind requires government or religious leaders to tell them what to do.

Government and too many laws- rights restrictions.

Religious leaders- liars, deceptively shameful people.

That is fantastic that you have found all of that out about religion. I just recently started studying about religion: origins, mistakes, lies, etc.

I agree with simplifying your life that is mainly what I have been trying to do because I am sick of giving in to all the lies from the government and churches about what they believe is the only right thing to believe or you are damned and burn for eternity. And the government's mind control and slavery of debt. All growing up I knew there had to be so much more, but I just never asked the questions that I had. I regret that, but I am also researching any thoughts I have and also asking questions that I have.

I also went against my conscience for way too long and that is another thing I regret, but now I know that is my most valuable trait and I NEED to listen to it no matter what.

I understand that everybody has to put themselves before others to survive in this world these days, but also I believe people need to accept everybody for who they are and nobody will be perfect no matter what. Love is all that matters. Without love this world would have been long gone, distinguished, blown up, melted away, or anything of that nature. But I think that if MORE people started loving instead of lying, deceiving, murdering, being selfish and all that stuff then the world will begin to be a better place.

I agree that reality exists and it is what you sense with your senses, but how do you know that reality is supposed to exist the way it is? Is there anything that you THINK could be done to make the world a safer and more secure place to live?

I believe if life was lived like what each individual sees in their dreams then it could begin to be a better place, for when somebody is dreaming, that is what they are thinking about in their subconsious mind. And if they could make whatever they dream or think about come true in their reality then they would be much happier and love the world and the people for who they really are.

It is definitely a gift and a blessing that people like you and I can think for ourselves and make our own perceptions on life instead of listening to all the "right ways" that are usually actually wrong in reality. Independence is definitely a virtue.

Thank you for providing your insight and keep doing you.

2. profile image0

This sounds a bit like Objectivism.

3. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

I think everyone does all of that to an extent.

~thranax~

4. prettydarkhorse profile image56
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

what you do and think depends on how you perceived and process things it is affected by the social environment and culture you belong, plus the way you are raised, your conditioning depends on past experiences too.

Not soley based on any of what you said. Yes, each thing you suggest has an impact, but knowledge and understanding super-cedes all actions takes.

You must think before you can react or act. If you perceive something- the knowledge you have about life and the understanding that goes with it- will shape that perception. Your social environment will a very little impact, as long as you allow yourself to be self-responsible about your thoughts.

Remember, learn and confirm what you learn, so your understanding is true and can put you on a solid foundation for a 100% sound belief system.

To do anything else is irresponsible.

Thanks, that is very helpful. How do your past experiences influence your thinking?

5. Cagsil profile image70

@empressfelicity

That might seem what it looks like, but I've studied various others Ayn Rand, Aristotle, Plato, Socrates and others of past centuries.

I even looked in existentialism, just to get an overall for philosophy. I used science evolution by man to determine the fundamentals for Life.

Btw, are you saying that it is a bad thing- Objectivism?

I understand that it is not our nature to see things outside our own reality, which is determined by our 5 senses and knowledge.

If a belief is formed - it MUST be based on facts, knowledge and how well you understand the knowledge you do have.

If any of your knowledge is wrong, then your belief is wrong, because you don't understand the knowledge you do have.

My clarity about isn't as complex as everyone else, because I'm not using religion or any religious text, to confirm my existence. My existence was confirmed by the birth certificate I have of my own birth.

That PROVES my own existence. And, since I exist- it my own responsibility to set a purpose for my life, which I have done.

I'm not connected to the mind-set - I am a weak human being and I need to have authority of others over my life.

I've come to a self-realization - that self-responsibility is lost in the world today and before it gets completely out of hand, some has to start making people aware of what's happening.

And, I mean the underlying cause and not the spin politics puts on things.

1. profile image0

No, although I would never want to become an Objectivist myself. I was just pointing out the similarity. 

I totally agree about the self-responsibility part, although when it comes to world events, we as individuals can't be sure of a lot of the underlying causes anyway - we might *suspect* the truth, but that's not the same as being 100% certain.

6. Cagsil profile image70

But, there are some absolutes about life. And, you saying there is no absolutes, seems to be a lack of knowledge on your part.

I understand the absolutes exists, whether or not, I choose to believe in them.

Absolutes are solidly based on facts, science and philosophy.

Science verfies the absolute.

Philosophy verfies your understanding that the absolute exists.

An example: Your conscience is an absolute- it is an indicator to tell you right from wrong. Nothing else can tell you what is right or wrong- you have to figure it out for yourself through listening to yourself.

That fact that many people negate their own conscience would be a good explanation for many atrocities committed in the world today.

I'm not attacking what you believe, but rather want to share my understanding with you.

Everything in life boils down to knowledge and your understanding of that knowledge(wisdom). That's all.

7. wavegirl22 profile image48
    wavegirl22posted 14 years ago

I think in and with good intention and I always think in colors

How do you know the difference between a good intention and a bad intention?

What do you mean you think in colors? Are you meaning you are not color blind or are you always on hallucinogenic drugs? Please elaborate.

8. TimTurner profile image70
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

This post seems like a research paper.  I tend to avoid such things and only do them when I HAVE to.

I think, therefore I am smile

You are what? The question was HOW DO YOU THINK? Of course, you think, but how do YOU use YOUR thoughts to make YOURself?

Also this is not a research paper, but simply my spark in curiosity of how other people on Hubpages think.

9. profile image0
    Wendi Mposted 14 years ago

I do a lot of my thinking and decision making on impulse!

And, that can be hap-hazardous at times. lol

1. profile image0
        Wendi Mposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know that and have been working on a lot.

Do you mean that you go with your gut feeling?

10. Cagsil profile image70

In other words, hazardous either to yourself or others.

11. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

to answer the original question, how do I think?

I write down ideas, plans, objectives, sometimes in list form, other times free style, like a story.

if my mind is racing and thoughts are going everywhere, I stop what I'm doing and go outside, take a break, take deep breaths to help the oxygen flow ... our brains do need little time outs,
    exercise helps a lot.

I feel we're all connected, so I do try to accept people for who they are and try to look past something that may annoy me~~ doesn't always happen here. lol but I realize it's just an opinion, it doesn't mean that opinion is the person.

I also rely a lot on intuition and believe similar to another poster here about consciousness, but I think we can know more than what our 5 senses tell us. they're all related if we realize we can learn from within. our thoughts can both help and hinder.
    it's learning how to control them or kind of step back and observe them...

12. Hanna Bambina profile image61
    Hanna Bambinaposted 14 years ago

boring question, bro.

How is this a boring question?

How do you think? is not a boring question. I allows one to gain insight to other people. Anyone who wants to express a thought or idea or a belief or whatever comes to mind.

The fact that you could only come up with for a post 'boring question, bro', says a lot about you.

How much exactly? I'm not saying.

13. denise.earwen profile image60
    denise.earwenposted 14 years ago

I understand your post and its too informative for me and other readers. Everyone get benefit from your post. Thanks for sharing this hub.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)