Have you ever helped a total stranger in any way?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (41 posts)
  1. thirdmillenium profile image60
    thirdmilleniumposted 14 years ago

Gave money, offered him food, paid for hospitalization......... anything.... substantial or insignificant.

1. topgunjager profile image59
      topgunjagerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

this question never gets asked enough.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes. many times.

2. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Absolutely.... I've helped you keep your post alive smile

And... Everything Above Plus.

3. thirdmillenium profile image60
    thirdmilleniumposted 14 years ago

Hi pearldiver
    your answer is an absolute pearl.

Hi Topgunjager;
    I  am sorry I didnt realize I was flogging a dead horse. I apologize

4. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I stop and change tires, mostly for women.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

AHA.... That's Why they never stop and change a guy's tyre! big_smile

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol I am pretty sure if I ever tried to change a tire for man, he would be very insulted!! We just show them some leg...its helpful.

2. profile image0

where do you live? I always have to change my own tires!!!

1. profile image0
        bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'll change your tires any day

1. profile image0

smile I wish somebody was here to help me put my extra van seat in, it soo heavy and annoying.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
            Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you using a Jack? lol Or your leg?

1. profile image0

OH YEAH!!! Problem solved!!  smile

2. profile image0
            bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It would've been my pleasure.  I'm always there when there is a lady in need

3. ngureco profile image80
      ngurecoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hahahaha! What do you expect in return?

Me too, I give lifts to women in my wagon.

5. topgunjager profile image59
    topgunjagerposted 14 years ago

seriously, this question should always be asked, i think it wakes people up to do things that really matters, it's always easy to act all noble and humble, but it's the actions you take that can really make a world of difference.

6. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

I was on my way into town, when I saw a filthy older woman sitting on the side of the raod, crying. Where I live it isnt to common for people to be on the side of the road, it is a very busy state highway with no sidewalk and the shoulder is narrow. I pulled over to see if she was ok. She was homless and trying to get to a shelter. Her mother had thrown her out of the house, and she claimed the first person to pick her up had thrown her out of his moving car. I gave her a ride to the shelter and made sure she got in ok. It was pretty far out of my way, but I felt so bad she was really scared and upset. I wished there was something else I could do, but there wasnt. I wonder about her soemtimes, I hope she got the help she needed. Other then that,I always return shopping carts or hold doors open for peopel who look as though they are struggling. Pick up dropped stuff, things like that. Its amazing how so many people in one day will need the tiniest little thing, that makes a big difference to them, and everyone just walks by blindly.

1. thirdmillenium profile image60
      thirdmilleniumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

justine 76
      i am touched

2. profile image0
      B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bless you for what you have done, I would of done the same..many times I have been passed by when I was in need of help..last week I fell ( I am physically disabled with spinal cancer and some other not so important issues right now, but I had fallen on some ice when my cane slipped at a gas pump, I had not umped my gas yet, there were 7 or more cars waiting to use 4 pumps, instead of helping me they all gave me dirty looks, yelled and honked their horns, thankfully a woman ( who by the way, was openly homosexual..it was very apparent ) heard the commotion from the other side of the station , out of sight mind you, and came running to see what was going on, she gathered my papers ( after making sure I was ok ) put them in my car, picked me up, helped me sit back in since by this time I was cold and wet, and without even thinking, she pumped my gas I had paid for, after pumping my gas she checked on me again, stayed in sight till I could pull away, and went back to doing her business..

straight, gay, black, white, fat, skinny, old , young, ...it doesnt matter when you have a heart of gold and care about others to the extent you stop what you are doing to help someone else out and refuse to take the few dollars I had left in my wallet for pumping my gas..

Now that is a HUMAN who knows what HUMANITY should be about!

7. Sue1226 profile image60
    Sue1226posted 14 years ago

Yes, I have helped people on the streets, and have received help when I was on the street. Every time I have some extra money I help, for I know that's what Jesus would do. Here's a thought Did you every happen to think you could be helping a angel, God does put them out there and uses them, but you have to believ that first I guess.

8. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

yes, too many times to mention them all or even remember..when I lived in Toronto for a month back in the mid 1990's I was always helping those who were unfortunate and had to live on the streets, I did not have much myself then ( or now..lol ) but I did everything I could..hey if I have 10 cents to my name and you need 9 of it, I would be happy to give it to you if my daughter did not need it for food , shelter, etc.

9. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Most people help others every day don't they? I do not see it as something to publicise, just normal living to me.

1. profile image0
      Citrus000posted 14 years agoin reply to this

This topic is good but...
      I feel that maybe the topic should be "Has a total stranger ever helped you in any way" Maybe I should start a new thread.

10. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 14 years ago

Lets see. I have given clothes to various missions, given food to various food pantries. I give lots of free advice. I once asked a girl to go out with one of my friends in highschool, because he was too shy to ask her himself.

Recently, on a camping trip, one of my neighbors tents was wrecked in a storm, and he couldn't drive, because he was on a restricted liscense, so I drove him 30 miles to Walmart, so he could buy himself another tent. 60 miles round trip, with no idea where I was going.

I also drove a girl that I worked with to work in the morning.
    It was a 40 mile trip for me. 5 days a week for 2 months while she tried to get another car. (She was in an accident.) Just because I wanted to help her out. She had two kids, and I didn't want her to lose her job. I'm cool like that.

The only one I ever regretted was giving $5.00 to a guy in downtown grand rapids, who said he was going to use it to buy food. Went into one of the party stores, and he was in there with another guy buying booze. I heard him say, "yeah some moron gave me five bucks...free booze!"

I told him, if I ever see you asking for money on the street again, I'm calling the cops. Don't ever ask me again. Jerk!

11. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 14 years ago

You have a good point Citrusooo. I have helped a lot of people.
    I donated money to the United Way for 15 years, and I also donated money to the salvation army.

Do you think I would get help in return. No!

I do recall one though. I was sitting on a bench on the pedestrian mall in downtown Grand Rapids, and this older man comes up to me, well dressed, and pats me on the shoulder.
    And, says, I think you need this son.

I looked, and he was handing me a $20.00 bill! I was on my break from selling hot dogs on the mall! I tried to explain it to him, but he just looked at me, and said sure you are. Take the money. You need it more than I do.

A few days later, I was selling hotdogs, and he walks up, and says, you really do sell hot dogs...imagine that. I asked him if he wanted his money back. He laughs, and says, no. I admire your honesty. You just keep it.

So I gave him a free hotdog. Nice guy.

But, other than that, it's just been a smile and advice. Ask anyone for money these days, and they'll either call you a con aritist or a scammer. Thankyou internet!

12. bojanglesk8 profile image59
    bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

I once gave a bum a dollar.

13. profile image49
    bailoutmentorposted 14 years ago

oh sure..every day !! at bailoutmentor dot cohm smile

14. profile image0
    blatvaposted 14 years ago

There's nothing more satifying then watching a bell ringers face when you slip a 100 in the red tin XD

15. efeguy profile image40
    efeguyposted 14 years ago

yes,are lot of time both male and female.

16. The Rope profile image61
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

Of course...Time and money!  But my favorite is a little secret I usually don't share.  I love the absolute surprise factor gift.  As I've recieved flowers at the office in the past, I never bring home more than one of the flowers, it's my policy that after I leave my general business area, I stop the first woman I see on the street and give her the flowers - doesn't matter what her apparent status is.  The blossoming of smiles and the surprise on their faces keeps me going for days.  I sincerely hope it brightens their days as well.

17. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

many many times.

18. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I've changed lots of tires.smile

19. Ron Montgomery profile image62
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

I hellp Sneako wit his spellin

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Alright Ron! I've always considered you a possible sex partner as long as you don't hurt my feelings.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image62
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not unless you marry me.....Oh wait, yer agin that

1. profile image0

Hey I'm republican we just have to find a mens room and it's on!

1. Ron Montgomery profile image62
            Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I forgot the code.  Do I tap my foot twice for yes?

1. profile image0

You're the Dude!

20. thekidandblue profile image62
    thekidandblueposted 14 years ago

I help people with their luggage/prams up the stairs at the tube station nearly every week as my station is busy

Give things to charity shops and buy from them

Donate money to charity

Getting things off high shelves for pensioners

Offering seats on transport

and for some reason I'm always asked for directions which i'm more than happy to give

21. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

@Sneako!  WT??????

To Answer the Question:

Helping people is part of life.  Whether it is helping someone whose car is broke down, giving a hitch hiker a ride or finding some one who can truly use the hand-me-downs, it is part of what makes the world a better place to live.

22. Red_Hot_Dave profile image60
    Red_Hot_Daveposted 14 years ago

I've picked up plenty of old people who've fallen over. I generally only give to homeless if they have a dog.

Though I've been put off my helping strangers after I tried to help a drunk woman a couple of years ago and she threw it back in my face.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)