Linking etiquette

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)
  1. profile image52
    jpsteeveposted 15 years ago

Hello,

I'm new at this so I hope this hasn't been covered to death.

I understand that excessive linking for promotional purposes is frowned upon.

Which is great since providing references can lend your writing more credibility.  But what about supporting references that are from sites of a lesser stature than wikipedia?  Is it possible to explicitly create nofollow links so that it is clear that the intent is not promotional (link farming) but rather informational?  Or is it simply linking outside of hubpages that is undesirable?

I also read that besides the  2 links per domain per hub limit we should avoid linking to the same URL from multiple hubs.  Am I right to assume that this means it's OK to link to the same domain multiple times from different hubs as long as the links are going to different (relevant) pages?

Finally, are links to other hubs treated differently or should they follow the same guidelines as for any other links?  The scenario I'm thinking about here is someone writing multiple hubs on a given topic and wanting to create an intro hub having plenty of links to the sub topic hubs.

It looks like Hub Groups might be aimed at the situation I described above.  Still, I'm not sure how flexible these Hub Groups are, but it seems reasonable to assume the content could be better organized in a regular Hub.  But would it be OK?

Thanks for any info you might have on this.

1. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty sure that it will have a negative hubscore. It has been discussed before in the forum. It isn't about the URL but the domain. And URL redirectors count as wildcards.

I do believe the same effect comes from linking to wikipedia too many times.

2. profile image52

Thanks for sharing your understanding of the matter darkside.

Hmm, what you're saying does not quite match what I understood from the faq and my other readings.  I'm even more puzzled now!

So far the do's and don'ts of linking seem to be the biggest hurdle from a beginner's point of view.  I imagine myself trying to introduce my mother to the process of creating a hub (Hi mom! sorry to drag you into this wink).  She's not a computer person exactly, but she manages we'll enough with her browser. 

Hub creation is so streamlined and well designed that I'm convinced she would get the hang of it pretty quickly.  In no time she'd be whipping up text and videos and, yes, probably links too.  Links are an integral part of how we see and use the web, they're the reason we call it a web in the first place after all. 

So now I'd have to tell her, "Well mom, be careful when you link to other pages, some are OK (like wikipedia... but perhaps not either), some are not... two links for a single domain might be OK, but you have to remember the links you used in your other hubs". 

By then she'd probably be a little, concerned, "Do I have to remember all that?". 

"Absolutely," I'd say, "oh and remember that using a redirector counts as a wild card".  At which point she'd probably end the discussion and go back to some good old fashioned browsing or even play some solitaire. smile

Perhaps if the link creation tool could provide immediate feedback saying "You should reconsider creating this link because you have already linked to that domain n times here, here and here"  There might already be something like that in place, I haven't tried to make a misbehaved hub just to find out.

Anyway, I imagine that it's a pretty big challenge to provide enough liberty to satisfy users while not being overrun by hordes of spammers. Things will probably evolve over time, and it's going to be interesting to watch exactly how.

3. embitca profile image84
    embitcaposted 15 years ago

Mostly this stuff is only complicated if you are an affiliate marketer using affiliate links or if you have a lot of websites you are trying to get traffic and backlinks for. But I think your mother would be fine with one simple rule of thumb -- no more than two links to any one domain for each hub.

I think that is actually a good rule to follow in general. If you are linking multiple times to Wikipedia, I don't think that provides a lot of value to the searcher. On many topics, Wikipedia is already at the top of the search results anyway, so if someone really wanted to read Wikipedia articles then they could do that easily. Instead, it might be more useful to provide links to resources that aren't quite as obvious.

4. Lissie profile image74
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

I would say the "innocent" writer here as nothing to worry about! Those of us who are trying to do a bit of article promtion need to know the rules and abide by them.  BTW most of academic conside Wikipedia to be anything but authorative!

5. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

Lissie is right.  The two colleges I've attended have both stated that Wikipedia is not an academic resource and is not to be used in academic papers or assignments.

6. profile image52

@embitca
    I'm not saying that the system is horribly broken or anything like that.  But I still believe that this is one of the most confusing elements of building a hub.  If the whole process was a muddy mess, it wouldn't stand out as much, but since everything else is so limpid the linking issue can't help but be noticed.  I think the whole issue is very interesting because it plays a pivotal role in the long term success or failure of a place like this one.  It seems like the folks here at hubpages are doing a commendable effort a keeping things in balance, but it'll probably be a juggling act for a long time.

On your second point re. linking with Wikipidia, I completely agree, nobody wants (or should want) to refer to Wikipedia exclusively.  I just pulled that site from the FAQ to use as an example.  As a matter of fact, my very first question in this thread was about the proper way to refer to less well know sources than Wikipedia (and the likes) without this being perceived as promotional.  I think user settable nofollow might be good enough for this, but there might be issues I'm not thinking of.

@Lissie & gamergirl
    Wikipedia vs Academia, that's a huge can of worm (hey that might make an interesting hub).  I think there's a valid case to be made against the use of Wikipedia as a major reference for a paper of any substance.  But that goes for any encyclopedia (e.g. Britannica). To write a substantial paper you need to dig deeper, often at least as deep as the authors of the encyclopedia articles did.

But Wikipedia's standing as an encyclopedia is on pretty firm ground, I think.  Nature did a very interesting study comparing Wikipidia to Britannica in late 2005, and while it didn't come on top, Wikipedia did well enough.  It's always better to double-check facts and Wikipedia makes a convenient source to compare against any other.

Oops, end of digression, this was supposed to be about links :-)

7. embitca profile image84
    embitcaposted 15 years ago

jpsteeve, I get what you are saying, but I still do think that for the most part your average hubpages user is not really going to have to worry about the link rules all that much. They exist to prevent marketing abuses.

On the Wikipedia/Encylopedia issue, I think once you are out of high school, using an encyclopedia of any kind as source material for an academic paper is pretty much inexcusable.

1. SweetiePie profile image83
      SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you about not using Wikipedia/Encylopedias for research purposes.  Even some elementary teachers will not allow their students to use these resources and expect them to go to the library for research.  I think encyclopedias are good jumping off point for deciding what you want to write about though.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)