Should I report this as spam?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Laura du Toit profile image76
    Laura du Toitposted 14 years ago

I got an email from a fellow hubber that I don't know. This person has been a member for 3 moths and is apparently an author of a published book. The mail reads

"let me encourage you to write - as others encouraged me when I began posting HUBS. Which is funny, because for 65 years I was a paid writer, but always writing for THEM. Now, at age 81, I think I've found the answer. I write for me, readers invited.  HUB Pages reports over 1300 readers in 3 months. Which has led to a LITERARY GROUP, with members currently on every continent. You're invited in. Each week members receive E-MAILS with LINKS to weekly postings. All that's needed is your YES and an E-Mail address. No pressure. Your call. Laura du Toit keep that word processor cranking. " (I have removed all references to the hubber from the e-mail)

Now I don't consider myself to be one of the best writers on Hubpages and my score is earned through hard work more than anything else.

My question is : Is this spam or do you think this could be genuine? I have a feeling this person is just out to get a mailing list but I may be wrong.

Any suggestions?

1. yoshi97 profile image56
      yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

me thinks you might be right smile

2. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I would spam it...I would trust your instincts Laura on that one. delete it forever!

3. Laura du Toit profile image76

Let's wait and see what the others have to say!

4. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

hi everyone, it might be what you think and what YOSHI thinks  he is always correct!

5. Laura du Toit profile image76

Hi Crazd Should I report it?

6. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

SPAM written all over

7. profile image0

If it were me yea...you said "you feel this person is just out to get a mailing list" and i think you are right to follow that instinct chica

8. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

they are all correct,

9. Laura du Toit profile image76

How do I report it - I can just ignore it but somebody else is bound to get caught by this spammer. Luckily I'm not quite so naive.

10. profile image0

When you look at the buttons next to it, it should say SPAM on one of the buttons. Just hit that and it'll be tagged as SPAM. then after that it'll ask you if you want to delete forever hit it and it'll be gone for good.

Laura du Toitposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This was an e-mail sent to me not a comment on my hub! Came through Hubpages though.

I don't receive too many emails. You could always send me an email saying what a great hubber I am and I would use it to see how one would report another for such an offense *hmmm*  haha!! smile

I won't be so stupid as to ask for your e-mail address big_smile big_smile

11. profile image0

Ah well then you can't report that as spam just delete it. You have warned everyone already by posting this thread big_smile

12. Laura du Toit profile image76

Thanks but this hubber is going to keep on sending to other hubbers. Oh well I suppose that I should not make it my problem. smile

Aw right! I couldn't trick you into sending me a kudo, so I'll answer your question honestly then... smile

At the end of the email there is a line that states:

*Report this email as spam or abuse*

Click the word 'spam' and you will have reported it. smile

2. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Like I said Laura you actually warnded ppl by putting it here on the threads. I'm sure others will read it and if they see it in their mail box will delete it too.

So you already warned ppl smile

13. Laura du Toit profile image76

Thanks everyone  - for confirming what I knew. Just needed to make sure that I was not throwing away a perfect opportunity to become rich and famous (as if that ever falls into your lap or email) smile

14. profile image0

Welcome chica
    If in doubt ask away big_smile

15. LOT2DO profile image40
    LOT2DOposted 14 years ago

Looks like a spam!

16. starme77 profile image76
    starme77posted 14 years ago

when in doubt, throw it out

17. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Guys, that's a fellow hubber. He is 81 years old, he was a professional (and very successful) writer for many years, and he does have a literary group made up of a wide range of people. It's totally legit. I actually belong to the group and get email updates.

1. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Someone's going to have to educate the old guy as to the protocol and etiquette of using messaging systems to send unsolicited mail.

Someone with a good nature. Good with people. Perhaps someone who already belongs to the group. Hmmmmm, I wonder who.

wink

1. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know, DS, I will. I promise.

2. wyanjen profile image71
      wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me too - sorry I didn't see this sooner...
      Yes, it is a legitimate group of writers.
      He asked me if I was interested but only after we corresponded about something else, so in my case, it wasn't spam.
      smile

18. Laura du Toit profile image76

Damn! NOW i JUST WENT AND REPORTED IT AS SPAM!

19. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

If it's who I think it is he's a business guy, so his feelings aren't going to be hurt by it.  smile  If it's not "officially" spam he has nothing to worry about.  If it's "technically" spam but he didn't realize it, chances are he can explain himself and change his approach (I'm guessing - could be wrong).

20. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

With all of the spam we receive daily it's no wonder we question every email ...

Maybe a better approach would be for him to post about it in the forums, so we could actively discuss it with him before drawing any conclusions. sad

21. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 14 years ago

To me, that's spam. 

Why? 

Because he's using the HubPages email system to send unsolicited, indiscriminate bulk messages.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He's not sending the message in bulk because no one else has said they received the email.  I know I didn't.  Looks like he is emailing Hubbers whom he thinks would be a good fit for his group.  Sounds more like a compliment than spam.

If you are right then I really feel bad - I should have felt honored that a professional writer would even read one of my hubs and now I have made him out to be a spammer! That's why I should rather have ignored it or accepted, not spammed it. Too late now!

22. Laura du Toit profile image76

Thanks you guys - I really feel bad if this guy is not a spammer but I did what I thought was right. Nothing personal I just felt that I should report it - in hindsight maybe not such a great idea. We live and we learn smile

1. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You didn't do the wrong thing. If HubPages HQ feel the same way (and especially if others got the same message and flagged it) then it will be up to them.

23. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Don't beat yourself up about it, Laura. You thought you were helping other hubbers.

24. Laura du Toit profile image76

Thanks Habee - butI still do really feel bad - and feel I can hardly accept his invitation to join his group after reporting him to HP.

25. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

If you want to join, send him an email explaining what happened. He'll probably understand. Tolerance and wisdom often come with age!

Holle

26. Laura du Toit profile image76

You are probably right - Will sleep on it and decide in the morning! Thanks smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)