The DC Sniper is about to be put to death ; Does that settle things?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (40 posts)
  1. NGRIA Bassett profile image59
    NGRIA Bassettposted 14 years ago

As we still grapple with the death penalty, do we feel that justice has been served?

1. tony0724 profile image59
      tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do !

2. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

While I am not opposed to the death penalty as a punishment I am oppossed to a legal system based on money and not justice administering it.  It is funny how we as Americans so dearly value our freedom but are willing to turn that freedom over to a flawed system that would take it from you. We all know that money can buy you a good lawyer and perhaps a favorable verdict based on how good he is.

I would rather let ten guilty persons live than to take the life of an innocent man.

1. tksensei profile image59
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You must feel relieved that we don't have one of those.

1. rhamson profile image71

Boy you really got me with that one.  I guess turning a phrase avoids discussing it?  Oh  I forgot face value is as far as you take things.  My bad.

1. tksensei profile image59
            tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Seems perhaps you have chosen your words carelessly again.

I don't know you seem to have let yours loose on the other post about Afganistan.  You can get thrown out of here with attacks like that.

3. RKHenry profile image64
      RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Justice is never served this way.  That's my educated opinion on the subject matter.  Using taxpayer money for committing an act of murder, is never justified.

2. TimTurner profile image68
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

I don't believe in the death penalty even though he killed a lot of people.

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He did.

3. tksensei profile image59
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Getting what he deserves.

4. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Its not enough to put him to sleep!

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i have this "utopian" vision in which society meters out the same punishment that the perpetrator himself gives, especially the more craven, depraved and violent offenses. for example, Karla faye Tucker stabbed someone to death with an icepick, including right in the throat, after the person hid from them because they broke into the house in the middle of the night and killed another person while the victim listened. they knew what was coming. imagine the terror. she got the death penalty, but she had years of appeals. years to make peace with her loved ones. she was strapped to a gurney, given a sedative and fell asleep. in my fictional world, heinous crimes like this meet the same punishment - she goes and hides under a tarp, knowing some bloodthirsty fiend is coming for her with an icepick, and she dies in the same way.

5. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I say let him get raped in jail a lot then kill him. too bad we can't bring him back and kill him again and then do it again and again

6. topshelf profile image60
    topshelfposted 14 years ago

I don't beleive in the death penalty either. Death is over with in just a few seconds. He should've served life!!!!

7. dave272727 profile image60
    dave272727posted 14 years ago

I believe in the death penalty.  I dont want my tax dollars going to provide food and shelter to a person that holds no regard for human life.  If he actually showed some remorse for what he has done, then I could see maybe giving him a couple extra days.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If I'm not mistaken it takes more of your tax dollars to execute someone than to keep him in prison for life because of the cost of all the appeals and delays.

2. topshelf profile image60
      topshelfposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's true, I didn't even think about that...
      Even though he did kill many people, who know's he could've changed. I believe in second chances, only if they truly deserve it, and showed some changes. I'm sure he suffered knowing he killed innocent people!! At least I hope he did sad
      I always look at situations like this.... What if that was my child?

1. profile image0

No more pot for you!

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
          Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cool. More for me!

1. Pr0metheus profile image58
            Pr0metheusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL LOL.....

Seriously though, just put him in isolation and make sure he's healthy for as long as possible.  He doesn't deserve the death penalty.

3. The Rope profile image61
      The Ropeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry I don't believe in the death penalty but I DO believe that the WHOLE PENAL system needs to be REVISED.  There are prisons in Tennessee, USA that are self-sustaining, not sure why they all aren't.  I understand it's done because they raise their own food and sell the rest in the surrounding areas.  US law states that if we make a prisoner work, we have to pay minimum way.  So be it, however, that same prisoner should have to pay living expenses as well back to the state for his upkeep.  Why are we paying at all?!  And once we have them self-sustaining, we should then be able to do away with the BS of early parole.

I don't know about Tennessee but here in Maryland a trustee gets a dollar a day for working in the jail. Many are sent out to clean up the roads.  I wonder if growing produce would work at those wages?

1. The Rope profile image61

I was actually thinking they could be the workers who clean up the portable johnnies.  Rather appropriate don't you think?  smile

That will work.

8. profile image56
    C.J. Wrightposted 14 years ago

Its closure for the families...I guess.

9. willgilbert17 profile image60
    willgilbert17posted 14 years ago

Tonight this "murderer" will get exactly what I call justice.  I don't think American citizen's tax dollars should go to waste feeding and housing a human being who took the lives of so many people.  At least he knows he's going to die on a certain day at a certain time.  His victim's didn't know anything.  They were simply going along with their everyday life; and then it was taken from them. What if it were one of your family members who got shot by this man?

1. profile image0

Hear!Hear!

10. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

A person is entitled to only one life - their own, not anybody else's. He should lose his for presuming to take that from others.

11. tksensei profile image59

And so he did.

The end.

12. garynew profile image61
    garynewposted 14 years ago

I believe in answering the question asked, which was a yes or no question.  So...Yes!

13. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

If it's okay to kill people for showing no regard for human life, there go all those who celebrate, chant, and cheer at executions.

14. pioneer_writer5 profile image57
    pioneer_writer5posted 14 years ago

I think the meaning or the spirit of Justice is to right the wrong. Societal wrongs should be taken care of in the Justice system. If I were robbed of 10 dollars, I would want at least 10 dollars in return. I think that prisons fail to rehabilitate criminals. Instead they become schools creating hardened career criminals.
    In this way justice is perverted.  However, the death penalty is very final, so if there is a shadow of the doubt as to the guilt of the person, taking his/her life could be tantamount in the system committing  the very crime it is set up to prevent.

15. tksensei profile image59

Well that comment sure had a lot to do with the DC sniper...

Has anybody ever pointed out how much misdirection you employ in your arguments?  Is it because you are confused?  I must admit that you are entertaining to watch.

16. The Rope profile image61
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

..and no, it doesn't "settle things" for the families of those who lost loved ones nor those who have to endure even more anguish each time they walk outside and wonder who might be out there.  But justice in the form of knowing each person who pulls something like this is working his/her way through a row of corn and then paying their wages back to society might at least help.

17. TimTurner profile image68
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

The relatives of the victims are definitely going to have to deal with this but the people that will probably have a greater time dealing with what this man did is his ex-wife and sons.

Imagine growing up knowing your father was a murderer.  They will be put through a lot of verbal torture, I bet.

So sad sad

I saw a show on Hitler's relatives trying to live today.  It's so hard on them when they had nothing to do with his craziness.

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
      Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Didn't some of his relatives have to change their last name? I wouldn't blame them if they did.

2. The Rope profile image61

You are a good man, TimT.  Thanks for a compassionate reminder.

18. Bibowen profile image88
    Bibowenposted 14 years ago

Does that settle things? Well, some things, but now he must settle up.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)