If you could travel back through time and give yourself some advice...

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (47 posts)
  1. H.C Porter profile image79
    H.C Porterposted 14 years ago

If you had the chance to travel back in time, to give yourself some advice or encouragement, what would the advice be, and at what age would you be traveling back to, to give this advice?

I am not talking about traveling back and giving yourself some tips on the stock market or lottery numbers to pick. Something more real than that-you can’t change your life-just the way that you perceived things at a particular venture.

Example- I would go back to when my first son was alive, I would tell myself to stop putting off things that I wanted to do-like taking more pictures of him and I together-because there is no guarantee that when you have the time and money, you will still have a chance. I would go back an tell myself to stop doubting myself and be who I am, because it doesn’t really matter what people think-most tend to drift in and out of our lives anyway. I would tell myself-things are going to suck for awhile, and you will feel like you are suffocating and nothing will ever get better, but hold onto your faith, and find comfort in it; things will become easier and you will once again see things clearly. I would encourage myself to allow people in and continue to be kind & optimistic, attempting to be anything other-doesn’t work out for me.

How about you? What time would you go back to, to help yourself out, what would you say to yourself?

2. UPStar profile image60
    UPStarposted 14 years ago

I would go back and tell my high school self that she would be okay!! (I was so insecure) That she shouldn't put off college, but she should GO! I couldn't decide what I wanted to do with my life so I vascillated until I ended up married instead. LOL. I loved raising my kids, but today a degree would help me out alot!

3. RedSonja94 profile image60
    RedSonja94posted 14 years ago

I would tell myself to be more choosy in who I marry.  I would tell myself to look for someone more like I want to be and not someone I just depend on.  I would also tell myself to always be true to myself and do what ever is best for me and my kids first and formost.

4. spartanking1978 profile image59
    spartanking1978posted 14 years ago

I would have been present for my wife during her abusive childhood. Sometimes all it takes is a true friend to turn a negative situation into a positive learning experience.

Love in my heart, always.

Bryce

1. UPStar profile image60
      UPStarposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is really sweet, Bryce

5. Mrvoodoo profile image58
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

"Don't do it!" (age 24).

And that's all I'm sharing, sorry. wink

1. UPStar profile image60
      UPStarposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL.. Yes! I relate. Although I would have said it to myself at age 40.

2. wyanjen profile image71
      wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey.
      You are older than 24?
      lol

I'm waiting for my future self to come back and advise me today. Apparently we still haven't figured it out....

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

at 24, would you really have listened?

1. Mrvoodoo profile image58
          Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Probably not. big_smile

2. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Jen,

You do realize that you could live long enough to make it happen. lol lol

The only thing preventing you from getting there is those who are around you and their inability to see their own existence for meaning or purpose.

It's a shame. So, I guess there more than a 100% chance you'll never make it happen, but there is still a 100% chance that it could still possibly happen.

If that's not a real mind-numbing concept, then I don't what is. lol lol lol

1. wyanjen profile image71
          wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well at 40-ish, I'm thinking... not gonna happen. lol  sure as hell not holding my breath
          Reminds me of one of my favorite songs:

I don't want to be buried
          in a Pet Semetary.
          I don't want to live my life again.
          (ramones - yeah!)

1. profile image0
            Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

They are always Soooo relevant, lol

2. profile image0

lol i wanna be sedated!!!!!

3. Mrvoodoo profile image58
        Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Considerably older.

Good luck figuring it all out, if you find the secrets please share them. smile

6. fishtiger58 profile image69
    fishtiger58posted 14 years ago

Go back to last year of high school and tell myself to go to college, will be enough of the working world after that.

7. elayne001 profile image78
    elayne001posted 14 years ago

Great question! I would go back to my teen years and tell myself to not look at boys until I was much older. I wasted a lot of time chasing them instead of getting the most out of my education. It took me some 30 years to graduate from college after all of my children finished their degrees. It would have helped our family immensely if I had been able to work in a job that paid more than minimum wage.

8. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I just did.

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol  nice

9. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

LOL:D

10. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

id go back to last week and say... dont worry, youll live

11. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

I would tell myself first to go to college, not the Marines, blowing stuff up was only fun for a little while then they started shooting back. Second I would tell myself to take the red pill this time not the blue one, NEO was wrong.

1. profile image0

no kidding. steak is good.

12. UPStar profile image60
    UPStarposted 14 years ago

I parted ways with 24 long ago. She needed some advice but I wasn't there to give it. I surely could now though!!!

13. profile image0

yesterdday
    dont let your dog eat THAT

14. believeinhim profile image61
    believeinhimposted 14 years ago

Good question and good answers!
    I wish I would have opened up more to my friends.

15. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Ah, so round, what? Cagsjillion? begins..... big_smile

1. Cagsil profile image70

What's up denno?

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

How's it goin? big_smile

1. Cagsil profile image70

It's going, just working out the details in which I want it to go. I'm sure you'll try to distract, as usual, and that's okay.

Sometimes, you're really funny. But, I see it as learning. So, it's all good.

1. drej2522 profile image68
            drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

when I spotted this forum I was just knew Cagsil would throw in a response!!

16. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

If I could travel back in time, I would tell myself to buy this MUCH sooner than I did

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv19/wyanjen/ramonescover.jpg

17. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

I would go to CBGB's to watch them smile

18. profile image57
    All for Funposted 14 years ago

I would go back to tell myself not to be afraid, don't be shy, just go for it. Be more active, light into that bully in school, forget about the trouble you'll get into. Go to College sooner. Don't be afraid of boys, your the one who's holding all the cards. Just be more bold, and do what you want. Live life fully.

19. MHilbert profile image70
    MHilbertposted 14 years ago

Well, looking back on my high school years I would go back to tell myself to have more confidence and take more risks in regards to participating in more activities, and getting to know people better. Because I was really shy in high school. Really looking back, I didn't have anything to lose but pride, but there is so much to be gained by taking chances.

20. Hanna Bambina profile image61
    Hanna Bambinaposted 14 years ago

take that year off. Don't disrespect yourself.

21. Dink96 profile image60
    Dink96posted 14 years ago

Stop listening to your depressed mother; you CAN reach the stars, all you have to do is dream and work hard toward your goals.  And go to school with a vengeance while you have that $$ to go.  (Of course I didn't and now I regret THAT move.)

22. profile image0

Ive been thinking about this, wich is fairly pathetic I realize..but I wouldn't go back. I think I wouldn't learn anythin if someone (myself inculded) were to protect me.

23. Don W profile image81
    Don Wposted 14 years ago

I'd tell myself to invest in a startup company called Google.

24. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I'd go back 29 years to my senior year in HS (or earlier) to get to know my mom.

25. Dink96 profile image60
    Dink96posted 14 years ago

Okay, if we're going to talk stock, I would have begged borrowed and stolen to buy stock in the IPO of Genentech back in the mid 80's.  I remember telling my boss at the time that "this company's going to go places."  Another one that caught my eye in the IPO was "Boston Chicken" now "Boston Market."  Google, Apple, WHO KNEW?!

26. thirdmillenium profile image61
    thirdmilleniumposted 14 years ago

I am the one who needs advice most.
    I would advise me not to fall in love.

27. The Rope profile image61
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

Listen to my gut, don't put too much weight on what others say - think big!  Just do it...

28. dejajolie profile image60
    dejajolieposted 14 years ago

@ my 13-year-old self I would say, "You'll be great, You don't have to be a product of your situation" I overcame sure enough but I beat myself up over minor things and things I couldn't control wasted energy.

29. profile image0
    wvlegacyposted 14 years ago

I would pay more attention to the parents of the person I married and realized that the one I married would turn out to be like them.

30. xiao_kang profile image60
    xiao_kangposted 14 years ago

I'd go back to my pre-pubescent self and tell myself that it's ok to be gay and to live with confidence because I will grow to be a strong and motivated man.

31. Himitsu Shugisha profile image72
    Himitsu Shugishaposted 14 years ago

I would go back to a specific day in my early 20's and I would tell her that I loved her with all my heart and that my whole world revolved around her and that living without her was not living at all. And I would hold her close and never, ever let her go.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)