In Honor Of 'Relache' - Just what is wong with my Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Vizey profile image56
    Vizeyposted 14 years ago

I went to the great Hubbers of 90+ and got told I was no good and evil.

So I have come to this place to be washed and cleansed before I show my face in the great 'hubasphere' once more.

Please come to my rescue I have only publish 106 hubs and my highest HS was 88 or 89 but now I am at 25 and falling. I feel unclean and unworthy to place my work alongside such great, pure and noble writers as Hubbers.

Please take a minute to review my hubs and advise me of the error of my ways.

(For the benefit of those who spend too much time here and not with real people - I am asking for help but in a tong in cheek way)

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly where were you told that you were 'evil'?

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My advice is to leave the forum alone for a week, else you will bore us all to death by asking the same questions every single day. We have already established that your poor hubberscore is a result of your plagiarism. You say you have rectified this, all you have to do now is wait; why does everything have to be instant? Just come back in a week and your score will be better, if it isn't then you still have duplicate content.

2. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

I think a lot of people have already given you some great advice, and not at all in a demeaning way.

3. Vizey profile image56
    Vizeyposted 14 years ago

And I'm taking that advise by participating in the forum.

I am trying to engage and seek advise.

I thought it best to approach as wider multitude of Hubbers as possible.

Would you care to review some of Hubs and offer constructive advise yourself?

1. profile image0
      Janettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes, but no one meant to keep posting the same question over and over wink

4. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

I found Relache a bit harsh once, but I realised that she is just saying it the way it is.  I think that the advice that has been offered is sound.  once you have licked your wounds (like I did) and checked out some of her hubs, you might think differently.  She really is a good resource, you know.  Just flick through her hubs, they are quite rich in information.  Also, darkside is pretty fantastic.  I am having to learn the hard way too.  It isn't nice, but things are done here in a certain way, only I am only discovering this myself.

I hope this helps.  Keep going and working hard - the rewards will come!

5. Vizey profile image56
    Vizeyposted 14 years ago

shazwellyn you are so totally right and I should and shall.

What has gotten up my nose today is that there is no shortage of comments and well meaning advise but no real information.

My take on it is - He's asking for help so he must be weak, so lets jump on him.

My English is poor, I do not write well but I do know what I am writing about. Which seems to count for nothing.

Anyway shazwellyn again you are so right and I'll take your advice, who knows I might even write about to apologize to all those that chipped in today.

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You come across good here.  I know you will win through in the end x

6. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Vizey I checked out two of your hubs on insurance as they were about my area. The first one seems a bit like an ad devised from a multitude of ads from the companies in and around GA.

As a consumer who might be searching for information on insurance in Georgia, I didn't find anything really helpful. And there was a contradictory statement about carrying the proof with you that is very misleading.

I think if you looked at the hubs and make them more informative instead of like a repeat of ads from various agencies you might do a bit better.

7. Vizey profile image56
    Vizeyposted 14 years ago

lynnechandler - Thank you I will take that on board when I start again.  I think I might have become somewhat stuck in a mode.

Darkside - 'tong in cheek way'

Janetta - are yo just going to hound me or are  you going to offer some helpful advise.  Seems to me you are just posting for the sake of it or is that just to keep you HS up?

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Janetta makes a good point. This is the third thread about the same issue.

2. profile image0
      Janettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

actually, I already posted on one of the other threads about your hubs/score...

U asked people for advice, they gave it. We shouldn't have to hold your hand through the entire process and dictate every move you need to make. Just because you don't agree with what more experienced hubbers tell you is likely the problem, doesn't mean they are wrong. If you are so sure of what the problem isn't, you'd think you'd have been able to fix it.

I didn't hound. I made a point. That's what people do on the forums. Seems to me, you haven't read many of my posts or you would know the answer to your question. And since you brought up my score, you'd think you would want my help, not want to argue moot points with me since mine didn't suffer the same fate yours recently did.

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

this is an excellent statement, and summarizes my feelings too.

I didn't say you were "no good and evil" when I posted in response to your other thread, and I don't appreciate your implications that I did.

8. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

Just rip it up and start again.  I have had to do this ... over and over again.  I think it is the nature of the student.  I have spent more time on refining my hubs, than writing them.  I see this as a learning experience and look to those who have been around to inspire. 

Learning can be a painful process, but better to learn than to never learn at all.  Take care and listen to the oldies for they are wise... hehehe

9. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

If you want to learn from hubbing genius - read Relache's hubs, not just her comments or hubs about Hubpages. They are an amazing mix of coolness and commercial. I love them. And she makes a living writing online.

She walks the walk.

10. Vizey profile image56
    Vizeyposted 14 years ago

First post 'help my HS is getting crushed'
    To this post Relache express her opinion which I took onboard. However, as the issue was the crushing of my HS in a very short space of time.  I did not feel that her take on the problem was the issue.
    Someone else pointed me in the direction of my problem. I thanked them and took immediate action.

Second post 'How much work is it to build up from 31 to 91'
    I was seeking insight into the amount of work and time it would take to rebuild my HS up to a new personal best (91)
    Again I received an encouraging response and a very helpful list of what to do but not how to do it.

Third post ('Help me with my Hubs' forum) My Hubs were once at least good scoring, 88 to 89, today that's 29, I've been told to change the way I write. Please help!
    I thought the best place to find out how to improve, would be the 'Help me with my Hubs' forum, as others that are also finding things hard but are understandably less     willing to run the gauntlet, might also benefit.
    This is where I thought Relache might come in and really open me up and help put me back on track. Who knows maybe she will maybe she will not. Her or anyone else with a positive or at least constructive input would be welcome.

So yes Darkside these might be three questions from the same seed but the seed has grown and evolved.

Now Darkside, as a senior member of this community do you have anything constructive to offer?

Nelle Hoxie - I know Relache's Hubs are great I have started reading them, she is a great writer. I have no issue with her in any way shape or form. She has made the same comment to two or three of my questions in the forums.
    When asking 'Can I improve my Hubscore by driving more traffic to my Hubs from outside sites and the like? RaIache did explain why not and said rewrite your Hubs.
    When asking way my HS is crashing, I was told to rewrite my Hubs.
    When asking how much work it is to go from 31 to 91, I was told to rewrite my Hubs.
    So guess what, having corrected the problem that was making my HS crash and having asked for information about building up my HS again. I have come to  the part of the forum to find out how I should re-write my Hubs, as Relache's been telling me to do.
    So yes Ralache is great, yes I am taking on board her point of view, yes I am asking for help and yes it would be great if she came in and gave me some pointers.

Relache - If the tong in cheek nature of the headline to this post has in anyway upset you I am very sorry. It was not meant to in anyway.  It was just a tabloid headline, borrowing your ID as a form of social proof, if you like.

I came to the forums looking for help, I ran into some people who I am sure only post on the forums to hekp their HS, I ran into one or two who seemed to enjoy my pain and the power it gave them, they left me feeling bullied and I ran into some people who give of their time to post in the forums to help others. To the latter I say thank you and please do not stop posting. You are the ones that enrich forums everywhere and make the internet a good place.

11. blue dog profile image61
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

vizey,
    you've been with hp for four months.  i'm not sure how active you've been in the forums, but you've hit on several valid points.  it is, ultimately, all about page views. there is much advice on what one is supposed to do, with very little coming in the way of how to do it. 

therefore, you'll have to do a ton of reading.  on hp, and more importantly, elsewhere.  it is very time consuming, but if you have a goal and are committed to it, you'll see results.

i don't know if you've found these hubbers alreadly, but if you haven't, add them to your list of information: ryankett, mark knowles, sunforged, and darkside.  there are others, and my apologies for their omissions. this should help get you started.

oh, and if you aren't using google's keyword tool, it's helpful as well.

12. blue dog profile image61
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

oh yes, spend a little time in the religion and politics forums.  that will help you in weeding out the uneducated, uninformed, and illiterate among us.

1. frogdropping profile image78
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol! smile Quite true!

13. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Well Mate... You put yourself into the Extreme Rackover Forum; So Here's an Honest Opinion of your work that may well hurt your feelings, but will be Honest and Objective!

1) Every Insurance Hub appears to the same and to be what I would consider to be Substandard, if I was seeking a REAL Appraisal on the subjects that you have covered.

You should have a disclaimer on same that states that you have No Formal Industry Experience or Qualifications as an advisor or in relation to industry training.
    All you have done is put together anything you can in an effort to gain higher paid Adsense Clicks!

Having been for many years in the Industry, in my opinion you are certainly not sufficiently knowledgable to offer Quality Content - as stated.
    In Short.. Insurance is Not Your knitting!

2) You know factually that your work is substandard and I would hope that you genuinely are attempting to improve it; however in the way that you have posted here, I'd probably loose my money betting on it.

3) Your grammer is attrocious and could be helped with a simple spellcheck.

4) You have previously been given good advice from qualified people here, who have taken the time to offer it. Do something with that advice.

Good Luck.... Write on what you know, rather than on what you don't.

14. Vizey profile image56
    Vizeyposted 14 years ago

Pearldiver
    Thank you for taking the time to actually look at my work and not just jump in.
    Thank you for pointing out I need to go deeper into the subject and not just the highlights. Insurance or otherwise.
    I will endeavour to write a shorter more focus hub.
    I do have 10 year in the insurance industry but was let go a number of months ago.
    2, I would take your bet - If I did not want to improve why would I be fighting my corner.  I could have just run off and started a new account?
    3, as mentioned previously, I am dyslexic and writing in my second language- But I am working on my grammar and use of spellchecker.
    4,  I have taken and will continue to take advise from people that try to help and offer constructive feedback such as yourself.
    Thank you for your help

1. Pearldiver profile image68
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No Vizey... Thank you.

For your honesty and for the rational.

May I suggest a couple of more personal things to do when writing anything in which you want to get a point across on and that will improve your work threefold?

Firstly; turn off your computer and use a pad and pen for this:
      Take A Subject (anything) Make a list of everything that you KNOW about it.
      Then consider what you would NEED TO know, if You were someone needing advice and list those things on another page.
      On a third page, list the factors that you Will Need To Research.
      Now structure the information (With Authority) into a Hub.

This may seem a strange way of doing this and you can probably do the same differently - But Don't.. Do This Exercise.

This works believe me - it is how I learnt as well.

If you have Industry experience.. then it is not reflected in your work because you are writing at a perceived level and with income in mind, as opposed to the reader's obvious expectations.

So do the above with the knowledge that you have and don't be swayed by keywords as much as you have been. You will be surprised how well your writing will improve (and how much knowledge you actually have to fall back on).

Good Luck.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
        prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi PD, hi everyone, I am reading a lot in this hub and your advices are just great..

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
        prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi PD, hi everyone, I am reading a lot in this hub and your advices are just great..

3. kirstenblog profile image78
        kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is some pretty good advice! I know it wasn't written for me but I may well try your tips in the future anyway! big_smile

15. Helen Cater profile image60
    Helen Caterposted 14 years ago

Vizey, I have taken a look at a few of your hubs and find them very similar apart from the change of city. This could be looked upon as duplicate content as they are all very similar. I know it can be frustrating when you are looking for help, as many of us have been in this position ourselves. You really must read up on lots of help hubs to gain more insight into the workings of hubpages. The members here will help as much as they can, but will not do the work for you. You have to start from you first hub and revise them until you feel sure they look good. You have published many in a very short time, all on the same subject. This could be a reason why your score is dropping, but I'm no expert so not sure. I know one bit of advice I can give you and that is not to use another hub members name on a thread that could be taken the wrong way. I have had very little dealings with Relache, but have read several of her hubs and find them very inspiring. Maybe this is not the best approach, but I do think your intent was not to harm.

16. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I just had a look at one of your hubs, I didn't find anything wrong with the writing and if I owned a car I just might take a few of the tips on board. Without doing the keyword research, I would say that the topics you write on are ones I imagine are highly competitive. My suggestion would be to find less competitive topics to write to, taking on competitive topics is a long up hill battle! If you were running a blog all about automobiles, driving, insurance etc. these hubs would be a way of helping to build that blog/business but are unlikely to earn money in and of themselves.

In my time here on hub pages I have found it unpredictable what hubs are going to preform well. I have written hubs that were just my wild musings and hoped a few people would read em and like em but I had no great hopes, yet some of those hubs do very well and get decent steady traffic (tho other wild musings don't do as well, go figure). I have also tried writing to decent cpc keywords and at first they did poorly, I am stubborn so have continued trying to write to more commercial stuff and keep my fingers crossed lol. Sometimes I am pleasantly surprised to see those get decent traffic too but I don't get my hopes up when I publish them, they are likely going to take time to earn so I just try to take it as it comes. Do your best, be willing to try all sorts of different topics and writing styles, go back and look over hubs if they don't do as well as you thought they would (sometimes its very simple tweaks that can help the most) and be patient. You never know what people are going to want to read, and you never know they may read one thing like it and decide to read more of your works.

Small tweaks can include re-working your summary text, changing the title and even having a look at your keywords (tags) can bump a hub up by quite a few points.

17. Vizey profile image56
    Vizeyposted 14 years ago

Helen Cater
    Hub members name ‘not my best work’ something to be ashamed of for sure.

Hello Kirstenblog
    Thank you for taking the time to look at my work. It sounds like you found one of my better efforts LOL.
    Excellent advise, about the reworking, summary text and tags.
    Thanks again

Pearldiver
    That is some of the best advise I have had.  I’ll be sure to use it as soon as I pick myself back up again.

prettydarkhorse
    I glad you are getting something from this.  This is why it is important to come and ask for help in a forum.  Everyone can benefit.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am glad to have helped smile. It is amazing how re-working the summary text and getting the right tags can improve a hub score! I had one that got a few clicks and they were decent (for me anyway) but the traffic fell off and the hub score was never very high to begin with. I decided it would be worth having a look at it since the clicks are worth more then 2p! It has jumped from the low 60 mark up to the 80 mark and all I did was rework the summary text, research a few better tags and I grouped it with a few other hubs on a similar topic. The traffic seems to be improving now and it didn't take much work really. You can have the greatest hub ever and get no where with it if the tags n summary text are not right for it, alternatively I have read hubs with horrible grammar and spelling, what real info there was on offer had to be deciphered due to the bad grammar and yet they score 100 or close to it! I found one just today that I simply could not read, the grammar was completely unintelligible yet it was at 100. How the heck that is possible I cannot say but there it was.

18. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
    GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years ago

Vizey hayz, these fuss I hope will be a lesson to you though I cannot admonish you (although you toyed with me a day ago, making me believe that you are innocent) since sometimes I have a share of little clumsiness here, call it learning through experience. But still I learned from it... I still hope though that you can still stand up where you stumble upon I believe you can. Do what is right and things will be alright...

Goodluck Buddy... smile

19. Vizey profile image56
    Vizeyposted 14 years ago

Hello Janetta
    I am sorry if I have upset you by setting things out is such a way.
    I am trying to follow the ‘frogs advise’ but first I wish to know how to follow the advise.
    Just like, I am trying to follow Relaches advise but first I wish to know how to follow the advice.
    Look at it this way. ‘Little Johny asks his Dad how do I win a running race. Well meaning Dad says run faster. So little Johny goes of to a running coach to find out how to run faster’.
    That is all I am doing

20. Vizey profile image56
    Vizeyposted 14 years ago

General
    No toying intended I had a problem and needed help. You seem to know something I did not at that time. Someone else agreed with you but went the extra step and pointed me in the right direction.
    I took action.
    Now I am trying to understand how to build and become better and stronger.
    Thanks for the best wishes.

21. Vizey profile image56
    Vizeyposted 14 years ago

There is no implication that you did.

I just knew that people would take my comments literally so I finish with explaining that everything is tong in cheek.

A point clearly mist.

In fact I have said nothing but positive things about you.

I have also pointed out on more than one occasion that I am trying to a, take your advise, b, read your hubs to lean. What great homage could I pay you?

And in terms of not taking the advise. I refer you to little Johny and his want to win a running race.

That is all I am about.  Nothing more nothing less.

22. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

I left a link to my Hub on how to boost your HubScores.  I still don't think you've read it. 

And please don't feel you need to pay homage to me. I'm uncomfortable being lauded by someone who builds landing pages that point to harvesting pages that then lead to who knows where.  I don't condone using HubPages in that manner.

23. Vizey profile image56
    Vizeyposted 14 years ago

I have read a number of your Hubs, but it would be amiss of me to think that one person could be the fountain of all knowledge, as a number of people have proven via this thread.

You are entitled to your opinion of my Hubs. Whatever, they are they will be changing soon, thanks to yourself and the others that pitched in, constructively.

Thank goodness, that Hubpages can be so much to so many and such a number of people can exchange views and thoughts in such an open an honest manner.

Long may it continue.

24. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Vizey, I suspect the problem is that you've been given some bad advice by people who claim to teach you how to make money online - the structure of your Hubs and where they link to, look suspiciously like spamming.

It's fairly obvious you're very new at this so no one can blame you for getting sucked in by the so-called gurus. 

Just remember that making money online is a long-term project and there is a LOT to learn.  If you're serious, you must be prepared to read, read, read.  I know real men don't read instructions but on the internet, you're going to have to learn how.

Here's the profile of someone who has been through it all, you could do worse than read all her Hubs about making money, and her blogs as well.
    http://hubpages.com/profile/Lissie

It will give you a more realistic picture of what you're getting into and the task in front of you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)