Top 5 greatest NFL teams

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (22 posts)
  1. R.Edwards profile image62
    R.Edwardsposted 14 years ago

1.) '94 SanFrancisco 49ers: The way they manhandled the Chargers in the SuperBowl and limited Natron Means from doing any real damage was crazy. Hands down the scariest team (at the time I was a Cowboys[Aikman, Smith & Irvin] fan)I've ever seen play.

2.) '99 Rams: I hated Kurt Warner during that time, it was ridiculous how they just never seemed to have any competition, week in and week out.

3.) '87 Redskins: I feel so bad, 'cause I'm not sure if this was the year the Redskins became the original 'greatest show on turf.' They had the highest point total of any NFL team prior to that season, and they downright manhandled Elway and the Broncos 52-10 in the Super Bowl.

4.) '70's Steelers: Simple, 4 superbowls with Bradshaw at the helm, could've been higher on my list, but I didn't see them play to really appreciate how great I'm sure they were. Besides, the skill level was/is a world apart.

5.) '72-'73 Dolphins: They ran the table in '73 though only 16 games, plus I love Sammy Morris with his cocky attitude. I'm pretty sure he was thrilled when the Pats lost to the Giants in the '07 Super Bowl.

I know there are different opinions that make more sense than my list but it's a start. BTW, don't throw too many jabs at me if I got that '87 Redskin team wrong!

What's your top 5 NFL teams of all time?

2. TN21 profile image60
    TN21posted 14 years ago

The 1985 Bears was the greatest team of all-time.

1. fishtiger58 profile image69
      fishtiger58posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes by far. DA BEARS

3. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 14 years ago
  4. wavegirl22 profile image50
    wavegirl22posted 14 years ago

In one of the biggest upsets in Super Bowl history I think my all time favorite team was the NY Giants winner of Super Bowl XLII  big_smile . .

I loved seeing the Patriots go down then just as much as I felt when the Colts did it to them this past weekend!

And back in the day (1978)  when the Cowboys were known as "Americas Team" I can remember Tony Dorsett , Drew Pearson and Roger Staubach putting up the points while the "Doomsday Defense" with Ed Too Tall Jones, Harvey Martin and Randy White did what they did best.

for my other 3 top teams. . of course it all adds up to the Giants the Giants and then again the Giants! Doesnt matter what year  . I am a die hard Giant fan .. and always will be.

1. dohn121 profile image81
      dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

1. yoshi97 profile image56
        yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I always liked the 49ers when Joe Montana was at the helm. He always seemed to find some magic somewhere. It was really difficult seeing his career tank when he moved on to other teams. sad

R.Edwardsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well he had that final 'push' with the Kansas City Chiefs when he beat Young and the 49ers and his matchup against Elway and the Broncos, bringing the Chiefs back from a deficit to when that game.

1. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image71
            EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely, he made the pro bowl in his first year in KC and led them to the playoffs both years, including the AFC championship in 93. He wasn't in his prime anymore physically, but it was far from tanking.

2. profile image0
      Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm reevaluating my fondness for you. big_smile

1. wavegirl22 profile image50
        wavegirl22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

cool cool >totally blushing over here> cool cool

5. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image71
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years ago

A lot depends on if you want to rank by dominance over an extended period or who was the best in one specific season.

Extended
    1. The Browns of the late 40's/early 50's, who played in 10 straight championship games and won 7 of them.

2. The Packers from 1960 to 1967, who registered their first winning season in 12 years in 1959 and then played in the championship game 6 out of the next 8 years, winning 5 of them including the first two Super Bowls.

3. 70's Steelers

4. Current Patriots

5. tie 80'Niners/90's Cowboys

Seasonal
    1. Da Bears as much for the characters as for the domination.

2. '72 Dolphins - Only undefeated team ever even though their starting QB was out for part of the season. And they also won the championship again the next year

3. The 1957 Lions - They should have never traded Bobby.

4. The 1940 Bears - Biggest victory margin in a championship game ever.

5. 1990 49ers

R.Edwardsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ummm...what about the '30's/'40's Redskins? We won the first championship game against the Bears with Sammy Baugh at QB; two title games to be exact in our first few seasons as Redskins.

1. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image71
        EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We could call that an honorable mention.

6. jperlini profile image58
    jperliniposted 14 years ago

Cowboys of the 90's c'mon now...

1. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was just about to post the same thought...

1. acanderson24 profile image67
        acanderson24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have to look at that Cowboys team of the 90's (They were great and dominant.). That 78 team was tough too....A lot of people forget about Roger Staubach and what he brought to the game.

7. visitmaniac profile image60
    visitmaniacposted 14 years ago

WOOO HOOO You fit the Dolphins in there glad to see that lol

8. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

Steelers -- all time

9. RedElf profile image90
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

Now, if you'd asked about the CFL, or the NHL...that would be something  big_smile big_smile big_smile

10. JBeadle profile image81
    JBeadleposted 14 years ago

1996-1997 Green Bay Packers or either of the Packer teams that won the first two superbowls.  Hail Lombardi!  Someday we'll forgive Brent for going over to Minnesota.  Someday.

11. ShaunMasterton profile image60
    ShaunMastertonposted 14 years ago

being that I'm a bears fan, I would obviously say the 85 bears was greatest team ever.

The 99 rams team was amazing, I love the whole story of Kurt Warner. nothing > NFL Europe > Superbowl Ring , I also love how he plays. Hes like Brett Favre, he will sling it out there and throw interceptions but he sure is exciting to watch.

Even though Patriots fell short against Giants, they still went 18-0 which does out do the dolphins 14-0 record. Yeah they didn't win superbowl and was a huge shock, however if tyrell doesn't get that lucky catch on his helmet. Suspect Patriots would have won, although Eli Manning's effort to get free on Tyrell's catch deserves the luck Tyrell had on catching the ball imo.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)