Alcoholism

Jump to Last Post 1-42 of 42 discussions (108 posts)
  1. nikki1 profile image61
    nikki1posted 14 years ago

Your thoughts..

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am working on it.

nikki1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Meaning?

1. profile image0

When I get there I will tell you my thoughts, as for now... bottoms up. big_smile

R u seeking help?

1. profile image0

Why?  You want to help get me drunk? big_smile

NO sad. The other way around.

1. profile image0

You want me to help you get drunk? big_smile

2. drej2522 profile image69
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was in the military...And I think we were/are all alcoholics..tough stuff!

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's a sad thing.

4. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My thoughts?  My thoughts don't even factor into the equation. 

Alcoholism is a often fatal disease if not treated.

Alcoholism is the only substance you can actually die from during detox or withdrawal. 

Alcoholism is not taken seriously enough and people remain to resort to the under the bridge homeless men for alcoholics.

Out of all the alcoholics around the world that enter recovery to stop drinking, only 3% will die sober and clean.

The denial of the disease of addiction and alcoholism is a lonely and painful, cunning baffling and powerful one.

With respect, those in recovery have a safe 24 and those trying to get into recovery, your not alone.

Thanks,
      Kimberly
      Recovering Drug Addict

1. Madison22 profile image62
        Madison22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thumbs up...thanks Lyricsingray!

2. profile image0

smile

5. lorlie6 profile image73
      lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

nikki1-I don't know you very well, but you seem to be asking alot of personal questions in these forums without offering up much of yourself.
      What's up with that?

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Knowledge can only be gained by asking questions. Who said knowledge was a two-way street? lol

1. lorlie6 profile image73

I suppose you're right, Cas, but it seems somehow creepy...

6. profile image0

roll

can we be more specific here too please?

2. profile image0
    L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years ago

As a teenager it is a beautiful thing tongue

3. profile image0
    Wendi Mposted 14 years ago

Thoughts on Alcoholism...dangerous and scary stuff!

1. profile image0
      Wendi Mposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Also one of my favorite hub topics.

1. profile image0

And theyre great Hubs at that! big_smile

2. Mockazoom profile image62
      Mockazoomposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Im an Alcoholic, I've aways have had a job, Never had a DUI, Never been in jail so I thought I was not an alcoholic but after going to a AA meeting and talking to ohter like myself I have realized that I an.

Are you powerless over alcohol and has your life become unmanagable?

Ther are some very good articles that maybe able to help you, take a look at "what type of drinker are you" at my hub

4. Casper021 profile image59
    Casper021posted 14 years ago

trying to get there smile

?

5. megs78 profile image61
    megs78posted 14 years ago

I remember watching a news report with this doctor who said that if you drink 2 drinks a day, you are considered an alcoholic...can this really be true? 

In my head, an alcoholic is someone who cannot handle their drink, drink to get drunk, drink all the time, etc, etc.

If I have wine with supper every night, am I an alcoholic?  Most french people have wine with supper, so are we all alcoholics?

2 drinks doesn't mean your are an al. You just shouldn't drive.
      Alcoholics can't stop. They seem to crave it. Thats why its dangerous. They are destroying their immune system,. Not mention destroying their families,. In the process.
      It is really a sad disease. Thats when the denial kicks in.
      Possibly depression also plays a part in this disease as well.

2. Haunty profile image74
      Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Depends on whether you can give those drinks up at free will.

3. dinkan53 profile image71
      dinkan53posted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, alcoholic means one who is dependent on alcohol, that means he can't survive without alcohol.

6. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

I was a nurse, many moons ago.
    Alcoholics[then]are people with an addiction to alcohol - like they drink it instead of orange juice for breakfast!
    Heavy drinkers are those that binge drink because they don't know when to stop while on a session, but when they do stop, for to sleep for example, they will wake up next day not wanting another drink at least until their hangover is gone.
    And the rest us...well we binge drink occasionally, or have a couple every night if we feel like like it, but can TAKE it or LEAVE it.
    THAT is the difference, IMO.
    I will not go with this modern thinking that drinking more than one makes you an alcoholic.

7. dinkan53 profile image71
    dinkan53posted 14 years ago

An evening on a binge of drinking can also end up in a alcoholic blackout. The person forgets all or part of what happened during drinking.This is a common problem, and affects 30-40% people who take alcohol. Finally it can kill by causing severe hepatitis and lever damage, inflame the pancreas, inhibit the absorption of nutrients and damage the heart and blood vessels beyond repair.

8. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

From some of the research I did online, they seem to be leaning towards making a distinction between alcoholism and alcohol abuse.

I don't buy into the idea that the occasional drinker is an alcoholic.

9. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

I binge drank as a youngster, swore off in my late twenties, and have been temperate since.  But I've also been a social worker and group home houseparent, and my wife was a binge drinker when first we met.  Based on what I've seen:

1.  The "typical" member of AA tends to believe everyone is an alcoholic who so much as sniffs a cork...and that anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial. 

2.  A second cousin of mine came home dead drunk one night, shot his wife to death when she attempted to leave in their pickup, lost his son to the state, did 10 years behind bars, and then worked as a counselor to other still-inmates until he fell ill and eventually died from cancer.  No question in anybody's mind he was an alcoholic.

3.  I know a lot of folks who'll have a single drink after work, maybe two, but who never show the slightest sign of being under the influence and who don't wack out if they can't find a bottle for a few days at a time here and there.  No way they're alchoholics...except in the eyes of the AA member types as mentioned above.

10. profile image0
    oldenuf2nobetterposted 14 years ago

It's not for everybody.

11. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

habits are best not started . cuz there hard to stop once you do. those are my thoughts

1. Haunty profile image74

What if I tell you you can stop a habit in 21 days?

1. megs78 profile image61
        megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I had an epiphany about smoking as well.  I had smoked for 10 years before I quit, and for some reason, I suddenly made this part of my mind up that this was it. Not only for me, but for my kids, for my family, for everyone I love because, essentially, by smoking, I was just committing suicide in a procrastinator kind of way.

It did take me about 3 weeks though to get the habit out of my system.  It was hard, really hard, depressing, stressful and dark...but I got through it and it has been 4 years since I quit.

Congrats, megs! I'm glad you made it. smile
          I said this 21 days, because some experts insist on it. I didn't make it up. smile

1. megs78 profile image61
            megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!  I agree with 21 days.  It takes at least that long to clean out your system and to break the habit of hand to mouth. Of course, it was still not 'easy' after 21 days, being addicted to something is, in my opinion, something you generally have to fight for life.

For instance, I have a friend who can smoke just on weekends, and not even think about it during the week.  Wouldnt that be great huh?  But for me, I know, if I even take one puff of a cigarette, I'm hooked again.  I know that about myself and thats why I can never smoke again.  Addictions suck!

They do. I can relate. I have two addictions, nothing of the kitchen variety. No one knows about them. I never got over them so all my respect goes out to those who have overcome their addictions, whatever they be. smile

12. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

lol i was in a drug treatment center for a year. i had 2 years clean and was the treasurer of my na home group. i use to speak at hospitals and institutions. ive read the big book from cover to cover and i dont mean the bible. lol . id tell you this tho i stopped smoking cigarettes 15 years ago . how long did it take me to quit? the epiphany i had that  made it happen . took one second . not 21 days. i am aware

lol aware, are you sure it didn't take you exactly 21 days at the end of which you had that one second? wink

2. profile image0

beautifully put aware, thank you big_smile

13. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

heres how it went . i was really sick , flu plus bronchitis. i mean sick. i was hacking my lungs out . all of the sudden i look down. to the cigarette burning in my hand. i was smoking and really did not notice i was. just at that moment it clicked for me . that epiphany i mentioned . at that very  instance  the cigarette i was holding became my last. true story.

I'm glad you had that flu then. It's great, because most of the time when they get better people also forget what made them sick in the first place. I'd call you rather special in that you could resist the urge to smoke again after you got better.

14. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

It's a good thing, as it is a constant advert for those who are afflicted!

15. mistywild profile image59
    mistywildposted 14 years ago

cheers big_smile, just please don't drink and drive, click on my profile pic to find out why.

1. aware profile image67
      awareposted 14 years agoin reply to this

misty i agree and adhere to that motto.

2. Haunty profile image74

I was wondering when you would appear on this thread, Misty. Thanks again for sharing the experience of that tragic event. I so hope it helps people come to their senses. smile

1. mistywild profile image59
        mistywildposted 14 years agoin reply to this

me too, if I can just get people to read it.

16. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

good to see you . smiles

17. mistywild profile image59
    mistywildposted 14 years ago

thanks for the kind words everyone, for those that don't know my husband lost his little brother to a 19 year old alcoholic.

18. Madison22 profile image62
    Madison22posted 14 years ago

One Day at a Time

19. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 14 years ago

An alcoholic is someone whose problems with drinking alcohol make problems in their life - because of alcohol consumption they lose friends, spouses, jobs, children, money, they drive while drunk and lose their license and their cars, they do not know when to quit - and often, they sure don't think they are alcoholics.  If any of the above applies - than I would say - that's an alcoholic.  The amount varies for different people.  It is epidemic in America and probably most of the world.  I cannot laugh about it, although I do laugh about almost everything else, not alcohol.

20. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

A charming, sensitive, witty and caring man works hard to build a successful career. Always a heavy drinker but in control. Decades down the line, things happen in his personal life. He drinks more to numb the pain. In the course of one year, there is a true Jekyll to Hyde transformation. Slovenly, sullen, deceitful, aggressive, he shambles round town, sometimes falling into the gutter. Some days he does not drink, and the real person inside looks out of his eyes. Most of the time, he lives in a nightmare, and the nightmare extends to suck in the person whom he claims to love and who loves him.

That is alcoholism.

Sorry. sad

2. nikki1 profile image61

sad quite tragic really.

21. ddsurfsca profile image71
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

I was a hardened alcoholic for about 25 years, and every day after work I drank a 40 ounce malt liquor, followed by a pint of peppermint schnapps, and on the weekends the after work started about noon.  One night I was tired of the routine, tired of the expense, and tired of being what i was.  There did not seem to be anything I could do about it.  Indeed I did seem to be powerless.  That night when I finally went to bed, I had a heart to heart with God.  I told Him simply this----I cannot do anything about this problem, so I am giving up, it is your problem now, it is all Yours.  I fell asleep.  The next day, everthing went normally, and after work I stopped at the store, bought the usual, but when I got home and poured my drink, the very first sip I took tasted horrible to me....I let it sit for a few, tried it again, and it just tasted bad.  Maybe somethng was wrong with the beer, so I opened the peppermint stuff.  Again, the sip tasted like there was something wrong with it.  The next day, the same experience. .... and so on, and so on.  To this day I cannot stand the taste of any alcoholic drink.  So, in retrospect, give your problem to someone else, and it is a done deal

1. profile image0

big_smile

2. lorlie6 profile image73

Amazing and very powerful.

1. profile image0

warrants another big_smile

You betcha! lol

1. profile image0

lol

22. Bovine Currency profile image59
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

Alcoholism;

2 Degrees, established career, mortgage, dreams, shattered;

abuser, gambler, domestic violence, diabeties;

father, daughter

husband, wife

anger, desperation

hate

disease.

23. Rachel Willson profile image69
    Rachel Willsonposted 14 years ago

All I can tell you is it is a really lousy way to die.

I came very close to that death in June of 2008 with acute pancreatitis.  No, not psorosis, as expected I imagine, but my pancreas was shot.  Near death, it took me four days in intensive care to come to the realization that I was pretty damned hopeless.  I knew I was an alcoholic for a long time prior to this, but along with constant drinking came a depression so deep that I did not care. 
      I know others that suffer in the same way as I did, but have not had God in their lives, or the resources, or the opportunity-whatever you wish to call it-and have succumbed to this horrible and cunning disease.
      I'm one of the lucky ones.

24. nikki1 profile image61

Thank you for your thoughts.

25. donotfear profile image82
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

Alcoholism: When you can't drink just one glass of wine while everyone else stops!  Frustrating, but we, as alcoholics, can't stop. That's why never taking the first drink is the best defense.

I've been battling the urge to take a drink lately. Trying to keep busy with work....need to make a meeting!

1. profile image0
      Wendi Mposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I haven't had the urge to drink, but I could sure use a meeting too.  I'll be attending my usual 9am meeting tomorrow.

26. kmackey32 profile image66
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

I think some people who are alcoholics and are in recovery or work at the recovery center tend to think anyone who picks up a drink is an alcoholic. My aunt once said because my father died in the 70's due to drinking and driving because he hit another car head on that he was an alcoholic. He was 19 years old and teenagers make wrong decisions and besides back then people weren't taught what could happen when drinking and driving.

27. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I started drinking my dad's whiskey when I was nine. As I got older, I started drinking beer and spiced rum. In 1987, I drink a one liter of rum a day, not to mention, all the other alcohol I consumed.

That year, December 31, New Year Eve, I made a resolution that I would never drink spiced rum or any other rum anymore. And, I have been clean of that. However, I did remain a beer drinker and not socially...for a number of years I only drank to get drunk. I am now 41 and haven't had a beer or any liquor in almost 3 years.

To me, there was no addiction. I had to make better choices and have. It was mind over matter- as long as you don't mind, it doesn't matter. big_smile

28. Cagsil profile image69

The question can be posed and anyone who offers up their view or opinion is subjected to the rules for the reasoning behind the question, for which, is not always made available. big_smile

Yeah, but in the interest of gathering information?  Seems somehow governmental, wouldn't you agree, dear pal? lol

1. Cagsil profile image69

Well, maybe it needs to figure out how people are going to react, before it can really do damage? Maybe, the person who asked the question is really after something completely hidden and doesn't want anyone to know?

Who knows? I usually ask a question to get a response. But, that's just me. lol lol

All in all, it's just getting curiouser and curiouser! lol
          Anyway, it's good to see you Casgil.

1. profile image0

Sorry to jump in but wanted to say hi to you both big_smile cheers

Hey there, doll!!!

1. profile image0

whats new? big_smile

1. profile image0

i heard you were one of these alcoholics - is that true?  cause I am lol
                  whew I needed that, now back to my serious posts......  lol

2. lorlie6 profile image73

One more sober day? lol

1. profile image0

lol  yikes  lol

2. Cagsil profile image69

It was nice to see you too lorlie. smile

Hey Kim, What's up little lady? smile

1. profile image0

going up and away Ph wrong thread hmm:
              and you?
              this thread is hilarious lol  lol

29. profile image0
    Wendi Mposted 14 years ago

Hi girls..and guys!

Wendi! lol

30. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Okay someone says drugs or booze and we all show up what ever happened to our recovery forum HUH?  Guess we could recover here too lol lol lol

Wend xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Hey lyrics, want to start another?  Or Casgil?  Wendi?  Me?

1. profile image0

OK L you go or I will-what to do?  your call, you know i love starting threads lol

You go for it gal, threads are your specialty! lol

1. profile image0

ok one minute

Tap...tap...tap! lol

31. Cagsil profile image69

I got it

32. Cagsil profile image69
  33. profile image0
  34. bojanglesk8 profile image61
    bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

It's an evil thing.

1. profile image0

cunning, baffling and powerful

I hate it exists, as do many.

Wrapped up perfectly with bojangles.

35. nikki1 profile image61

?, just your thoughts on this disease. How do you feel about it?
    Thank you for your thoughts.

36. Bovine Currency profile image59

Alcoholism sucks.  Hard.  It is a disease.

NIcely put.

37. Bovine Currency profile image59

It is easy for me to say, I have lived with it.

38. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

i think alot on this topic. main reason for that  being i know the subject matter  intimately . i was in the program for over two years. they use the words higher power, so as not to  scare  some off . with confusing ideals  not pertinent to the prime objective. the disease wording , and label. for me anyway , never set well . and i still don't care for it.

1. Bovine Currency profile image59
      Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

take what you like and leave the rest.

I am not patronising you.  I have walked in and out for 7 years now but for solace I need to be there.  Just like any community there are pros and cons.

1. profile image0

that's the main point - take what you want and leave the rest.  That's how it works as you know.  big_smile

39. fishtiger58 profile image69
    fishtiger58posted 14 years ago

A life wrecking addiction.

sad. JUst think it all starts with one drink. The chemicals in the drink, possibly the taste is good and then.. bam. I feel for the victim and the people involved. victim is the alcoholic. The cravings must be tough/stopping. Its got to be tough.

Thanx for the awesome comments. For those who fought this disease and are talking about it. A high-5.

40. Miss Know-It-All profile image62
    Miss Know-It-Allposted 14 years ago

An average alcoholic drink has all 13 mineral's you need to sustain human life. I don't understand the question lol so I put down a fact lol

sad.. and still alcoholics destoys lives and dies a horrible death. Their bodies are messed up because of it. Due to the toxians in the booze.

41. nikki1 profile image61

It wasn't a question. I am wanting your thoughts on this topic.
    miss know it all.

42. profile image0

@alcoholism post roll

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)