How people are reacting to Gas prices

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)
  1. profile image0
    derekcaulfieldposted 15 years ago

I know gas prices are pretty here in the states at the minute, saying that if broke it down , england would cost about 8-9 dollars a gallon and ireland about $7 maybe $6 more even . So $4  aint bad when you count this. I know the other countries go by the litre rather then the gallon. Some places are a bit more then $4

Not only this , some people are even trading there big trucks for smaller cars. This is okay but some don't realise there losing thousands on the trade , now say you lost $4000 on the trade of your truck, How long would it take you to make that saving , a long time unless you did a lot of driving. I understand some people do a lot of driving.

My point is if you drive a lot , I understand but if you won't drive to the movies or flea market what ever because of a dollar a gallon more . On a 20 gallon tank thats only $20 .

I know it's tough these days , because the economy is pretty bad, but unless you really do have no money, even if you bought stuff of a garage sale on a saturday, maybe coins , did a bit of research before and sold them on ebay you could make an extra few hundred. A hundred would solve most peoples problems.

Or anything really theres a few things out there if your getting low on cash. It might mean you have to maybe work more, doesn't sound fun, but you just gotta get through it.

To the point I know people that are earning 10-20  thousand a month , driving benz, bmws  as well as having another car . There even reluctant to fillup the car because of gas prices now , thats silly. You don't even have to be earning that much even average earner maybe 30-40 a year, you can still survive.

Just try to get through these times, it is tough but , do what you gotta do

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Why don't you write a hub out of it?

3. Shirley Anderson profile image72
    Shirley Andersonposted 15 years ago

Here in Canada, gas is $1.30 or more per litre this week, which is approximately $5.20 a gallon.

4. Eric Graudins profile image61
    Eric Graudinsposted 15 years ago

What do I do to react to gas prices?

I just have a mental image that the right price is $2.00 per litre. ($9.00 per Australian Gallon - which is about 4.5 litres

That way, whenever I have to pay the current price for $1.60 or so per litre my little brain says "Wow, that's cheap!
    And when it actually DOES get up to $2.00 per litre, which will probably happen before Christmas, I'll - I'll - I'll probably just cry.
    And pump up the tyres of the pushbike. And get a trailer for it so I can pull the family along.

But Seriously, given the resources that go into producing a litre of petrol I'm amused when people will happily pay $3.00 or more for a litre of water, or $4.00 for a cup of coffee, yet complain bitterly when petrol reaches $1.50 per litre.

The one thing I WON'T do is panic and trade my very safe, comfortable largish car which uses 10.5 litres per 100 km (city cycle) for an uncomfortable  little plastic buzzbox which uses a bit less fuel.

5. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

I am paying € 1.60 a liter ($2.48 a liter, or $9.00 a gallon +/- ) at the moment, and the word is it will reach € 2.00 a liter for diesel before the end of the summer.

Prepare to be screwed smile

6. rmr profile image68
    rmrposted 15 years ago

What is there to react to? It's one of those things you just can't change. A worldwide boycott will never happen. People will not quit driving. I just keep filling up my suv, and hoping that my income will catch up to the cost of living. And with a 40 mile commute, it would take more than a garage sale to make up the difference.
    I can take my mind off the price of gas, by watching the trend in the housing market. My house is now worth exactly half of what I owe on it!

7. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

Drive less and plan errands better smile.

8. RyanRE profile image60
    RyanREposted 15 years ago

For me I just pay more at the pump. There is not much that I can do about driving less sad

I agree with Misha, you should write a Hub about this.

9. Eric Graudins profile image61
    Eric Graudinsposted 15 years ago

A few years ago, a set of tyres cost 11 tankfuls of petrol.
    Now, a set of tyres cost 3 tankfuls of petrol.

I thought that was interesting.

10. TheCapn profile image60
    TheCapnposted 15 years ago

I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where nearly everything I'd need is either within walking distance or is a bus ride away. Last month I took my car out only 3 times and put less than 5 miles on it. I wouldn't say the prices have altered my habits a lot but at $4.29/gallon here, it certainly doesn't encourage me to drive any more than I have to.

11. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image59
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

There is a price control on petrolium (Gas) in India and the govt decided not to hike prices since last 6 months though the crude price is doubled during these days. There is a lot of hue and cry for the matter. It is a topic of political debate too.
    We are expecting a hike in a day or two.
    I wish it will change habit of misusing petrolium products.
    jyoti

12. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 15 years ago

I went out and bought a brand new car! A Kia Spectra 5...couldn't afford a hybrid. but it gets 32 on hwy and up to 29 in town...I'll see if it is so. In the mean time, its nice to have a brand new ride. I have never had a brand new car. A nice change from my old truck!

13. srimathi profile image61
    srimathiposted 15 years ago

yesterdy in india gas raised 50 rs
    petrol raise 5 rupees
    diesel raise 3 rupees
    this is shocking for all peoples over india

14. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Know someone who knows a neighbor couple. He don't drive his diesel no more. Noisy things. She don't drive her SUV no more - bought an old Toyota car - cost of gas. Now she has an SUV only worth $8,000, and she still owes $15,000 on it. Seems like the mortgage fiasco.

15. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

I am just unhappy with prices, I try to drive less but that only helps so much...

What other people are doing though, whoa! The news someone changed a white truck to get gas out of other trucks with a hose, it had a huge tank in it and over 3 weeks they stole almost a $150,000 dollars in gas from a trucking company (they sold it cheaply to people in an underground market).

As a result, locking gas caps are on the rise for sales smile

16. oryzana profile image60
    oryzanaposted 15 years ago

i think we really need to do research on hydrofuel and NGV to replace diesel. everything is possible....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)