Why change the bible content?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (48 posts)
  1. oryzana profile image60
    oryzanaposted 15 years ago

Why and who should change the bible. Shouldn't it be as original as it is??

1. Paraglider profile image87
      Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Which version are you talking about?

2. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Truth cannot be changed in the Bible as it is god knowledge which defies time.What can be changed is the language so it suits the reader of today.
      .Poet Mohit.K.Misra

1. TheCapn profile image59
        TheCapnposted 15 years agoin reply to this

How can you be so sure that the Bible contains truth?

And, btw, did you just quote yourself?

1. mohitmisra profile image60

The Bible will touch your soul,also you will understand only when you are ready to.

When your time has not yet come the book will be meaningless-but when your time comes which it does for all you will just love the Bible and know this is truth and this goes for any Holy book.

I used to be quite the avid Bible reader. It was easy to believe and digest when its verses were masked in obscurity. After a lot of thought and analysis, I've found a large portion of it to be bad, if not outrightly evil. See here I am, my time has come and I do not like the Bible or any other holy book. So once again I ask, how can you be sure that it contains truth.

I need something concrete backing up the answer, not just a short bit of prose.

1. Misha profile image63
                Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Good luck to you - everybody else already gave up on the guy smile

Haha yeah, I was looking at previous posts and at a few on other threads, he hasn't answered any single direct questions.

2. mohitmisra profile image60

Being a poet I connect with the Bible and other holy books.Some believe Jesus to be a Prophet and some athiests do not.Some believe in god,some have been one with god,some believe god doesnt exist at all.The Bible is about love and saving your soul,what proof do you want for that?Some believe in magic all the time some cannot see the magic.There is no tangible proof of the soul or supersoul or spirit,so there is no way one can give you concrete proof.It must connect with you as it has with many others.I do not sit on hubpages all day long and so at times you will need to give me time to answer your question,when I sit on the comp and open hubpages.

Then like violetsun says the answers are within.There are two types of knowledge 1-direct which comes to you from within,through meditation,contemplation and intuition and 2-indirect-by reading and listening.The first is a lot more powerfull.

Thanks for your response, and I totally agree with your response. I have no problem with someone who believes in some sort of religious deal so long as they admit that there's no proof or logical reason to believe. To me it's all fantasy speculation but people can imagine what they want, it's none of my business. My only problem lies with those who look to their religious origins to bring their own moral code into law. When that happens you'll find me strictly on the opposite side, doing anything I can to insult religious tyranny where I can.

Thank you for responding sensibly.

My pleasure.
                    regards
                    Mohit

2. Inspirepub profile image72
            Inspirepubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

OMG - I just realised!

This guy is a TURING TEST!

Silly me.

Jenny

2. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

God defies time,  the Bible will burn up with everything else.  tongue

Holy books like the Bible will exist till this planet spins.You have just started on the spiritual path and you have much to learn.
          Poet Mohit.K.Misra

1. profile image0

Really cause the Earth has been spinning for quite some time, and you are being misguided.

I said till this planet spins and not since the spinning began.Big difference.

1. profile image0

care to enlighten me on the difference? 

Or are you saying this planet does not spin?  Or God has not been around since the  planet began spinning?

Jesus was 2-7 BC the planet was spinning before he was here or the Bible was written-simple.
                  wink

The essence of god is timeless and a book is called a masterpiece-like the Holy Bible- as it defies time and speaks of eternal truths.
                    wink

2. profile image0

Ok, now your facts are all wrong.  And now you didn't answer the question because you don't understand the question, and why are you talking about Jesus all of the sudden, he didn't write the Bible.  Where are you going with this?

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

Too late, it's been rewritten numerous times.

1. Peter M. Lopez profile image72
      Peter M. Lopezposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Not exactly, the Dead Sea scrolls have shown that today's Old Testament are very nearly 100% accurate when compared to the oldest documents we have.  The Isaiah scroll in particular is virtually identical to the current text of the book of Isaiah. 

This is true of the entire Old Testament because of the meticulousness with which Jewish scribes were required to reproduce copies.  A single stroke (not letter, but stroke) gone bad and the whole scroll was scrapped.

The modern translations may differ from each other, but the original texts are the same.  The same is also true of the New Testament, although there is less controversy about that because of the relative newness of it.

Nice info.One single word could change the meaning and the depth.Thats why its called a masterpiece because it has and is in perfection, defying time.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Ah. Welcome back Peter. Fending off insults from the third worst poet in the universe was getting old smile

What I mean by nothing original in the bible is "nothing original," as in done before big_smile

Don't have time right now, but I will be adding a wealth of directions to where the bible was plagiarised from in the first place smile

But, I would recommend this book as a good start:

"101 myths of the Bible : how ancient scribes invented biblical history"

by Gary Greenberg

ISBN:     1570715866

Unfortunately, the closest copy I could find to you is in the US Air Force Base Library in Dyess, about 35 miles from you smile

Worth making sure they have it - dyess.foia@dyess.af.mil

Not a popular book so probably available......

It's good to be back.  These baby preparations keep me quite busy of late.  Yes, Dyess AFB in the thriving metropolis of Abilene, Texas, home of the B1 bomber and a lot of other really impressive stuff.  It is indeed almost 35 miles from my house...I'm a little flattered and somewhat spooked that you are able to pinpoint it so exactly from across the pond.  Perhaps WC should surrender his "stalker" tag.  big_smile  Just teasing, I'm looking at you right now through my binoculars...you really should put some clothes on...

I'm not sure I could get a membership to Dyess' library being a civilian and all, but I bet I can find a used copy on ebay or amazon.  Is the book about the legends of Gilgamesh, ancient serpent gods/demons, etc.  I can't say I've read the book, but I have studied some of these various other accounts.  They are quite interesting.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

hehehe.

I did that just to freak you out. Actually, as I become more "au-fait" with the internet, I am freaking myself out as to what information is readily available. smile

I understood that AFB libraries were open to the public. I may be mistaken there though.

It has been a while since I read it, but I recall it was more about the inaccuracies in the Old Testament and proofs of where many of those stories were taken from. I use "proof," very loosely. big_smile

I've never thought to look, but considering the gas prices these days, I'll probably save money by ordering from ebay or amazon.  I can get a good used one shipped to me for under $10 probably, whereas 4 gallons of gas to get there and back @ $4 per gallon...it's a no brainer.

We do go to Abilene frequently to do our shopping and what not, but my wife just went yesterday.  I actually feel somewhat guilty asking because I'm sure it's much worse, but how are gas/petrol prices there?

2. Loni L Ice profile image68
            Loni L Iceposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm just a weird Irish pagan who studies the Bible and the Koran both, in addition to the Vedas and every other form of religious text I can get my hands on.  What can I say, comparative religion fascinates me.

The Koran's only existed since about 400 A.D., so saying that it's existed unchanged for thousands of years presents a bit of a temporal paradox.

In my experience and reading, many religious texts give great instructions on living in the environment they're from.  Jewish religious law from Deuteronomy presents a great method of desert survival if you have no access to microbiology, and the transcendent statements such as   judge not, be kind to your fellow man, and seek understanding can never become outdated. However, taking badly translated quotes out of context to justify persecution and prejudice is good's antithesis. It does nothing but tarnish the reputation of the particular religion in question everywhere, from Christianity to Islam to Hinduism.

I agree that religiously motivated laws are a seriously bad idea, and I'll fight them tooth and nail.  I'm still upset about the number of religious blue laws we have to put up with here in the States, and it seems to be getting worse. I wonder how much more violence we'll do to each other in the name of God.

I like your weirdness,you are open to knowledge from all sources.
              Regards
              Mohit

3. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

There is nothing original in the bible.

4. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

I know huh, it's already been rewritten so many times, it's hard to tell what is truth or true and what isn't.  So it is very fair to say that people can and should interpret the Bible in a way that suites thier own needs, not someone elses mind you, but whatever brings you happiness brings you happiness. 

smile

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

... and then people proceed to impose their own interpretations on others lol

1. profile image0

true...I believe it comes from fear.  Moreover, I believe thier intentions (for the most part, regular peeps and all) for trying to get people to believe comes from just a few words written. 
        Something to effect of,  if you lead the blind to the pit, thier blood is on your head. 
        Of course, my logic, tells me we are all pretty much blind.  Enlightened or not, no one has the ability to completely understand and absolutly know the truth about life and why. 
        Ironically enough, those who chose to disbelieve (not that I mind at all) also fall into the catagory of "...and then people proceed to impose their own interpretations on other". 

Though I do think that for the most part, people are just sharing the beautiful things that they have found or are struggling for the right intention, the path etc., So it seems always better to accept people as they come, for all their unintentionally ill founded words and for whatever shortcoming we have cause we are not going to make any possitive progress without it.

I honestly believe that the first step to the enlightened journey lies within acceptance. 
        smile

5. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

Serious answer - many parts of today's Bible are a translation of a translation of a translation.  You can imagine how many errors have crept in during that process.

So there's actually a very strong case to go back to the most original versions we can find, and translate them directly from the original language into English, and see what comes out.  If Christian faiths were genuine in their beliefs, they wouldn't be afraid of such an exercise - but I suspect many of them know that some of their doctrines are based on mistranslations.

The Catholic Church in particular actively discouraged access to the bible for centuries and in effect substituted their own liturgy, much of which is not even biblical mistranslation, but wholly independent writings by their own scholars. Their use of Latin didn't help much either!

6. VioletSun profile image80
    VioletSunposted 15 years ago

The Bible is man's interpretation of God, best to find your own answers within.

7. oryzana profile image60
    oryzanaposted 15 years ago

Wow.. you guys really anwers this question.

8. profile image49
    mmsposted 15 years ago

Hey, I was just interested when i read the whole thread. I am sure you know that there is historical evidence that the bible and the gitas and nearly all other religious scriptures on earth are not in their original form. There have been countless changes as time went by to the extent that now it remains an impossibility to 'reverse' these changes and uncover the original text. It is interesting however to not that the scripture that the muslims read, the Koran, has maintained its textual accuracy for approximatrely 1.5 millinia. Written text of the Koran from Muhammad's time, which was compiled into a single standardized volume by Abu Bakr, his immidiate successor is present in museums in Turkey and Russia. I found this to be quite remarkable. Any thoughts?

Living in the Middle East, I've noticed the difference between the relationship that Muslims have with the Quran and the relationship Christians have with the Bible. Most Christians acknowledge that they have the bible in translation, while Muslims believe they are reading the Quran in its original language - the authentic word of God. Modern Arabic is not the same as classical Arabic, but it's certainly a lot closer than KGV is to Aramaic. Interesting topic.

1. profile image0

Maybe it could be some devine intervention working so that people end up with the translation that was meant for them to have.  Or as it is said, that God speaks in the language they can understand.
        So despite the differences in the original text, the moral standards seem to stay the same.  No one disputes Moses. haha, or so I think. 

smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

This is an interesting point actually. I also live close to a large muslim community and my best guess is that they are just a little bit behind the times. Their culture is just not quite as "well-developed" as the christian culture. If you look at some of the rules they still adhere to like stoning adulteresses - these are the rules we stuck to just a few hundred years ago. As they start to feel the "benefits" of the oil money, they will get with the program and start re-writing their book also.

The Quran is no more the word of god than the bible is smile

9. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

€1.65 a litre - +/- $9 a gallon sad

Word is it will be €2.00 a litre for diesel before the summer is out. Ouch.......

Yikes.  I'd sell my car and buy a scooter.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

Friggin scooters are the bane of my life. By that , I mean 50cc scooters with the exhaust pipe removed and 2, 16 year old vandals ready to steal your wife's handbag.......

10. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Here in Californina where I am, I can't remember seeing a scooter. Have some motorcycles, mostly Harleys around here,
    and a few bicycles. Scooters aren't stylish enough for Americans, although some scooter cults exist, like in say San Francisco.

11. profile image49
    mmsposted 15 years ago

Hej! Good day to all!

Dear Loni,

The Koran has not existed since 400 CE. It was proclaimed in the middle of the 7th century CE (Muhammad was born in Mekka in 570-571 CE, and claimed prophet-hood around 610-612 CE). Anyway, the point is i did not say thousands of years... i said 1,5 millinea, and that remains true. It is quite intriguing how it has maintained 100% accuracy. Furthermore, moslims unanimously conform to a single original text of their scripture (with differences in interpretation of its meanings, of course). Other religions seem to lack this adherence to their original mother-texts.

As for the textual accuracy of the bible, i think it is a fact of history that each sect among the christians follow their own 'version' of the bible. Some versions have missing verses and some have additional. some have changes that alter meaning of the verse. The dead sea scrolls someone mentioned earlier are merely a fraction of the content and hence cannot verify the textual accuracy of the old testament. I do not think the actual manuscript of the bible is preserved. Not even those who believe it to be a revelation from god claim so. In fact, there is even disagreement among christian scholars on whether the bible was originally revealed in hebrew or some other language!... Please correct me if this is not so.

As for religious laws, i agree they have been misused to an unforgivable extent. But this is the fault of those who misinterpret them and apply them out of context. Otherwise i have found tolerance to be a cardinal feature of nearly all religions... It is only the extremist zealots such as zionists, Al-Qaeda, Ku Klux clan, Arya samaj etc. who have managed to pervert religious ideologies to fuel violence. That is one extreme... while some people seem to be on the other where they are certain that 'religious laws can do no good'.

Ciao!

Awesome.smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)