The Great Global Warming Swindle

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (42 posts)
  1. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

I've watched the program, and I've also watched follow-up programs made especially to dispel the theory that global warming is caused by sunspot activity.
    I can't help suspecting that this is correct. Global weather patterns are ever-changing and I don't think man has enough data to make a definite claim that climate change is man-made.
    Europe had a mini ice age in the 15th century - less than a millennium ago, yet the ice ages were hundreds of thousands of years apart, and what caused them?
    Too many questions, too few answers. Why should man's activity in the final 80 years make so much difference?
    Who is to say that the ozone layer hasn't had holes in it in the past?
    It's only in the last few years they have had equipment to measure it, or the science to understand it.
    Sunspot activity, or absence of, seems a much more probably cause to me. The term 'climate change' is just a money-spinner for some, and a bandwagon for others, IMO.

1. William R. Wilson profile image60
      William R. Wilsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Have you looked into the complaint against the movie for manipulation of data and misleading the audience?

http://www.ofcomswindlecomplaint.net/Fa … Graphs.htm

2. Arthur Fontes profile image73
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

Controlling carbon emissions would allow the government to control every aspect of your life.  The heat in your home, the car you drive, what light bulbs you have to buy everything.  Even the flushing of your toilet would fall under government scrutiny.  The whole climate issue is to move in a global government run by international bankers.

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I see you are an automotive professional.

One thing's for sure, whatever's going on, it certainly isn't a move to set up a global government run by The Big Three!

Maybe it's a move to set up a global government run by Nissan, Toyota, and other companies that decided to read trends, knowing that no matter what the truth is, sooner or later this green thing was going to end up catching on...

I am not totally unsympathetic to the idea that international bankers seek to control the world. I don't think they need a global government to do that, though. They already have a lot of say in things now.

Then there is Walmart, and GE, two of the largest powerhouses in the world. I can't imagine that this is a conspiracy by them either -- as I imagine all this green retro-fitting they are doing (Walmart anyway) must be costing them billions -- of course, I imagine it will also *save* them billions in energy costs over the long-term.

There is no conspiracy on the carbon-emissions front (though, again, I am sympathetic to the idea that *someone* might be trying to control us all; I am just not convinced this is the method they are seeking to use).

The fact is simply that the Obama administration believes it is true. That doesn't mean that global warming is a fact. But I do think this explanation is the more obvious one, to be honest.

1. Arthur Fontes profile image73
        Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEqFtVrAgSo  A good video from Copenhagen calling for a global government. The global government is already in place they call it the United Nations. The only thing they need is real authority. .  Since the inception of the Federal Reserve and the creation of the Council of Foreign Relations and the Trilateral commission control of this country by the president and congress is a facade. I dare you to google Agenda 21.

I already said I am generally sympathetic to these ideas.

I just don't think that happens to be Obama's agenda.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with Obama. Just that, on balance, I think he is doing what he is doing because he thinks it's "the right thing to do." I am not claiming he is a saint. And I am not saying I agree with his policies on this, or on anything. I just don't think that the motivation for all this carbon stuff is world government control. It might RESULT in that, and I wouldn't support that, but I do not think that most climate-changers are seeking this...

...Of course, it is possible they are being *manipulated* by others; this is totally possible

2. RKHenry profile image64
      RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now that's a putting it out there a little too far.

Conserve your energy people, be good to the planet in which takes care of you- that's not a "swindle" that is good common sense.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

http://smokejumping.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/chicken-little-sky-falling.jpg

1. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your response is more apropos to the climate change cultists!

Al Gore!

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ron is easily amused

1. IntimatEvolution profile image68
          IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just posted this in another forum thread on the subject matter, "I think it is a very serious situation, whether all the facts are correct or not.  It makes absolute logical sense, and anytime that people are encourage to conserve and beware of their surroundings, is a good thing."  Is it not?

Funny and if it was posted in reference to me being chicken little "I Pray every day that your right I would like nothing better to be completely wrong about this" until then do not take
      your eyes off the sky.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your prayers have been answered.  The great goovernment boogeyman you so greatly fear does not exist.

1. profile image0

Yes it does, shill!

How bout Bigfoot?  Makes about as much sense.

1. profile image0

You don't think that our government would try and fool Americans into thinking something exists that doesn't?

You need a nap.

1. profile image0

Is that where you go, men of advanced years need all the rest they can get, I'm proud of you.

I believe in the 10th amendment State's Rights anytime the Federal government interferes with my life they are to be feared.
          The scariest thing in govt (IRS) just the name itself causes Americans to speak softly why because they FEAR them. Would you voluntarily hand over income taxes if you did not fear the repercussions.

Only shack-dwellers in Montana say IRS softly out of fear.  I do voluntarily pay taxes, as do most citizens.  If fear is the only thing that makes you behave like a member of a civilized society........

BOO!

You just do whatever your told to by the government without asking questions. Right!  The flock is leaving you better follow.......

Baaaaa

2. profile image0
              Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ever tangle with them? Have them accuse you wrongfully? Have them seize your property wrongfully? Turn your life inside out and then after three-four-five YEARS of harassment they just say oops, sorry, nothing we can (or have to) do to make up for it?

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Yes, in fact I have tangled with them, and won.  Your personal attack is once again without merit.

P.S.  BOO!

1. profile image0

Personal attack? Try talking to someone whose life they have destroyed.

4. Arthur Fontes profile image73

AdsenseStrategies  I do not think this has anything to do with Obama himself Like me I believe Obama is a salesman he sells us the product he is told to sell.  Bilderbergers CFR Trilateral's are the ones who produce the product to sell.  Take the current health care debate How much of the details of this bill were written by Obama.  He is selling health care reform he is not proposing it.

Unfortunately I am not in America, and have not been following the health care debate on the American channels we get in Canada, except now and again. I will however say that I imagine that health insurance companies probably had a hand in writing the bill. I'm just passin' through on this one, however...

2. profile image0

Yes, I agree with you here. But what does that say about the seller? Personally I've never been able to get behind something I don't feel is right. So either Obama does agree with this and thinks it's right or he's the type of person who doesn't care what he's selling or why. Either way he doesn't seem so noble, IMHO.

This is not strictly an issue concerning Obama check how many in our govt also belong to the CFR it goes back years.  In my opinion the President of the United States is nothing more than a marionette no matter which political ideology they claim the same puppet masters pull the strings..

1. SparklingJewel profile image67
          SparklingJewelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

undeniable truth

5. Arthur Fontes profile image73

AdsenseStrategies Respects: thanks for the conversation

No probs

6. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 14 years ago

Pshaw, William, who needs facts when the profit margins of the oil companies are at stake?

1. profile image0

LOL! Do you really think the oil companies will be hurt by a carbon tax? Corporations don't pay taxes, their customers do!

The solution to global warming (today) is in nuclear power, and the green freaks are opposed to this too!

1. William R. Wilson profile image60
        William R. Wilsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ultimately you are both right.  The customers will pay dearly first, but eventually the market will dry up for fossil fuels. 

Nuclear might be an answer to global warming, but it has its own problems.  I'm not a green freak for stating facts.

1. profile image0

Fossil fuels will never go away they will only get cheaper as demand declines and the poor will use more of it! Meanwhile the richer nations will be shipping their wealth to corrupt governments of 3rd world countries!

2. kerryg profile image83
        kerrygposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm talking about government subsidies, not carbon taxes. The price of oil is kept artificially low by subsidies. Without those subsidies, alternative energy technologies would be far more competitive than they are today.

If the price of oil rises due to reduction of subsidies and/or addition of a carbon tax, people will star to a)conserve more and b)turn to alternative energy sources, both of which will hurt the profit margins of the oil companies.

(Thanks, William! You too.)

7. William R. Wilson profile image60
    William R. Wilsonposted 14 years ago

PS - nice to see you around Kerry!

8. athulnair profile image64
    athulnairposted 14 years ago

but one thing is sure, climate is changing every year and i believe according to the facts and what we see in our daily life, human beings are the most responsible for the change in climate. we cannot put away the blame on humans.

9. William R. Wilson profile image60
    William R. Wilsonposted 14 years ago

Two sensible posts in a row!  What are the forums coming to?

smile

1. IntimatEvolution profile image68
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It seems that there are alot of sensible people out on the forums today!  Include yourself in that mix.

10. BobLloyd profile image59
    BobLloydposted 14 years ago

It has been so easy in the US to dismiss science by claiming that it is junk science that now many people think all science is automatically just an opinion.  Once you reach that point, everyone insists that their own opinion is as important, if not more, than someone making decisions in government.

Loads of people in the US regard any kind of government as a restriction on their rights to do what they like, that the moment the government takes scientific advice, that's the ultimate insult.

But the facts are incontrovertible that global warming is happening and that human activity is responsible.  Whichever way you want to cut the data, carbon emissions have to fall and fall fast.  The two degree target is still catastrophically too high, as was made abundantly clear in Copenhagen.

Increasingly the people who deny the reality are like people who, on the grounds that they haven't heard anyone speaking Latin in the street, insist that the Roman Empire never existed and that it is just the opinions of historians, and anyway why should be listen to just their opinion?

But increasingly Americans are gradually coming to terms with the fact that the environment is not there to be exploited as they want, but is something shared with the rest of the world.  That international morality is something that comes with some difficulty to a huge state that is used to getting its own way.  Alas, you can't coerce or even negotiate with the environment and the US nay-sayers are simply inviting more catastrophic weather, more hurricanes, more flooding, more climate chaos.

Let's hope the deniers wake up sooner rather than later.  We don't want them to have to be proved wrong, simply because they wouldn't work through the facts and wake up to reality in time to do something about it.

1. SparklingJewel profile image67
      SparklingJewelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

as usual with most people, mixing the issues is the problem. If there weren't elitists trying to control people and take more of their money, there wouldn't be such resistance to the possibility that people have something to do with the state of the environment.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)