Comments on your hubs - Deny or respond?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (39 posts)
  1. Suspect20 profile image67
    Suspect20posted 14 years ago

I am curious how other hubers deal with comments made by others on their hubs.  I don't want to censor people or delete comments I disagree with, but at the same time I'd like to promote healthy discussion on my guides and not spread poor information around.

I wrote a guide on how to set up IRC chat because I thought it wasn't widely used or known about.  The single comment I got to the thread is not really off topic (the poster gives thoughts on IRC) but it seems to be a bit self promotional and doesn't focus on IRC entirely.  The commenter also left a link to some site of his, and I am unsure how to proceed.

<snipped - you might want to avoid self-promotion yourself>

Can anyone share comments they have seen on their hubs, that were odd or completely off topic?  Do you generally think it is better to completely remove the comment, or just reply and let the reader decide?

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i don't feel obligated to approve every comment on my hubs, especially ones contaning abusive language or spam, or links to other hubbers' hubs or websites. there's not really any way to block such comments before the fact, so as a hub author i have the right to deny anything i feel is negative on my hubs. i always try to be respectful and nice to people but at the same time i won't let crap be attached to my hubs by way of other hubbers' comments.

i don't respond to abusive comments. i do try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment on my hub as i feel that is the polite and courteous thing to do.

2. Helen Cater profile image61
    Helen Caterposted 14 years ago

I checked out the link and it is not working, but the comment looks good to me. You need to decide if it is helping your hub, and if it is then I would keep it as it's doing no harm. I have trouble deciding on keeping comments and have only denied a few spammy ones.

1. starme77 profile image78
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think things are not working properly because there are so many jerks in the forums right now and the people who run hub pages have to spend their time dealing with the idiots. Soon as they weed em out things will get back to normal , poor guys I sure would hate to have their job

3. youcanwin profile image44
    youcanwinposted 14 years ago

That is up to you to whether you want to keep that comment or deny it.

4. Suspect20 profile image67

Thanks for the input.  I have only deleted one comment so far, and also prefer to just respond even if the comment disagrees with me. 

I was mostly worried the site of his might be harmful or unrelated (you are braver than I for clicking that =p).  He also only mentioned IRC in the first sentence or two, then went on to give thoughts on privacy and tracking of cell phones and IP address.  I appreciate any different point of view, just not sure how much off topic to tolerate if only a portion of the comment is related to the hub.

1. Helen Cater profile image61
      Helen Caterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are safe as it does not exist, maybe I was a little brave in doing so, but hey it was OK in the end and now at least you know it is dead.

5. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 14 years ago

You might want to look into how Google feels about Adsense ads being on webpages that promote Torrent Sites.

Darkside you are full of so much useful info. Please explain Torrent sites as I am sure most of us have no clue.

1. darkside profile image63
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Torrent sites have links for downloads, typically pirated movies.

Thanks Darkside, and yes I can see now what you mean about this being bad for AdSense.

2. Suspect20 profile image67
          Suspect20posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Most people associate torrents with the negative piracy aspect.  This could turn into an entire new topic if I went into that though.  My guides give no information on how to steal media.  They simply explain how torrents transfer information, and how to set them up.

Two people can share any file over a torrent client.  Torrents can be the only way for most people to find random foreign TV series (decades old) which are not even available to buy anywhere.  They can (and are) used for countless reasons other than the over-publicized piracy cases.

But like I said, if there is some rule or official google comment related to torrents, I would love to read the exact wording of it.  This is not something I was aware of, so any information would be appreciated.

6. Suspect20 profile image67

I wouldn't mind some elaboration on that also.  About half of my hubs on hubpages are guides related to torrents.  In none of my guides do I promote piracy or anything illegal.  Are you making a very general comment on torrents in general or is there a specific point in any of my guides that you think is unethical?

I think torrents in general get a very bad reputation, and many people actually think they are illegal.  A couple of my guides focus on this specific subject, and serve just to explain how torrents work (it is just a form of data transfer, nothing about it is any more illegal than hosting/sharing any file on the internet).

It seems reasonable to be able to discuss and inform others about how they actual work, and I was not aware of any rule against it.  There is a significant difference between hosting and sharing information that is basically a "how to steal software and media" and what my guides contain.

1. Amanda Severn profile image94
      Amanda Severnposted 14 years ago

I had a comment on my Lewes Bonfire hub this week which included a swear word. Other than obvious SPAM I never normally delete. The comment was actually quite funny, but I didn't like the swear word so I deleted. Was I right?

2. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I think we have a right to have "standards" with regard to things like profanity or worse language.  I've only gotten a few with really crude language, and I haven't approved them.  (Then, of course, you get back the "free speech" complaint  lol  )  I just figure that between HubPages and Google most likely not being too thrilled with some language, there's the thing that I don't really want it with something I've written either.

What I struggle with are the links that go with some comments.  Some are obvious "commercial" spam.  Some actually look like someone thought their own Hub or blog relates to the Hub, so they look "spammish".  I just kind of get irritated when people do that, though - maybe because I don't do it on other people's Hubs.  Then I feel unfriendly for lumping them in with spam and not approving them.

3. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I tend to keep comments which support my hub, or give gainful discussion towards it.

Comments which are unreleated, or posted by someone who has not even read the article however, can be deleted.

4. Amanda Severn profile image94
      Amanda Severnposted 14 years ago

Personally I never leave a link to one of my hubs without being invited to do so, though I might mention a related hub in a non-specific way. I think that's good manners. I agree that to come right out with a link straight away can look spammish.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that's a good practice unless it's a site like a major newspaper where people generally are not going to go back to that article, if it relates, I leave a link.

In this case, obviously the commenter came in from the internet and felt this comment was relevant and left a link. It's your choice whether to leave it or spam it.

Amanda Severnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the comment was from outside HubPages. And, yes, I'm happy to leave links to articles from outside HubPages in my comments, but I think uninvited self-promoting links can seem rude.

5. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

oh, how about putting a link to one of your articles, because the commenter asked for it...(havent put links in my hubs because I am still elarning how to put links? are you allowed to put links in the comments section?

Amanda Severnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Certainly, if it's requested. Just cut and paste your hubs address into the comments section with a suitable explanation.

6. BeccaHubbardWoods profile image86
      BeccaHubbardWoodsposted 14 years ago

The only comments I have denied were vulgar and disgusting about the man I was writing about. They were from the same girl and I didn't think they were appropriate and found them quite redundant. The self promotion thing I don't mind, especially if it coincides with the subject at hand. People who are already on your hub and are reading the comments aren't really lost to you because they're already there. No harm, no foul.

1. Suspect20 profile image67
        Suspect20posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't mind others promoting related hubs or content on my hubs either, but I want to be able to tell they actually read my hub and are posting something of substance. 

I often see comments that give me the impression the poster just read my title, and tried to think of a way to work in one of their sites without bothering to see what was contained in my guide/post.

I have only posted a link in the comment section of another hubber once so far; and I wouldn't be offended if it got removed as it seems there are mixed feelings about that topic.

7. oderog profile image46
      oderogposted 14 years ago

Unless I suspect the comment to be a spam and are there for the sake of linking then I will not approve it, otherwise good comments with link will get my approval

8. Dame Scribe profile image56
      Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I will deny comments that aren't PG rated tongue especially pervy ones, nobody needs those hmm

9. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years ago

One practice I haven't seen mentioned:  It doesn't bother me to deny a comment if it's something I don't want there (or which appears to be in violation of HP guidelines).  However, in most cases I will add a comment of my own explaining WHY the comment was denied.  Nearly any comment with a promotional link will be denied, but in several cases, I've liked the link and have added it to a Links Capsule or even added a paragraph explaining (and including) the link in the Hub itself.

If the comment is a clear attempt to hijack the Hub (and I've had just a few of those), sometimes I leave it there...but simply, again, add my own comment explaining the problem and stating clearly that further such data WILL be denied as I've no intention of letting the Hub stray off topic. 

So far these practices have  worked well enough that about 2/3 of the time there's been no feedback from the  person who left the comment...and the other 1/3 generated feedback expressing understanding of the action and thanking me for the explanation.

Totally agree with Dame Scribe that I'd delete anything pervy or "beyond PG" but fortunately haven't had any of those.  So far.

10. profile image61
      logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

So far, I approve everything.  Have a definite dislike for censorship!  If you put something out for public inspection, you have to be willing to take whatever they dish out, or don't do it.

11. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
      Paul Edmondsonposted 14 years ago

I don't deny comments that disagree with my opinion, but I do delete comments with profanity, that are just links to another site (even if it's a hub), or don't have to do with the topic of the Hub.

12. creativeone59 profile image67
      creativeone59posted 14 years ago

I had a couple comments I went up and down back and forth with, and after leaving them there a while I realized that, it was silly to keep them when we didn't agree, so I did a kind thing and deleted them, then I had a guy that made indecent proposals and spam and I gave him the finger too. I don't think you should keep the comments if it doesn't make you feel comfortable. creativeone59

13. kikolani profile image65
      kikolaniposted 14 years ago

Don't comments help your hub's score go up?  I would say that, and the fact that comments add fresh content to your hub which helps it in search engine rankings, is a good reason to allow almost any comment, so long as it isn't completely off topic, rude, or linking to a "bad neighborhood" site, such as online pharmacies and adult related material.

14. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I've had to deny a couple comments this week, not because they said anything bad, but one came in from the internet with a link to her site (which looked helpful) and her name was a link. I thought that was a bit too much self-promotion given that I would like readers to stay on my page and hopefully click on an ad.
      if I left that comment, another reader may have immediately left my page. I'm writing to inform, but also to bring in revenue.

the other comment I didn't include was from HP and she left a link to her hub which didn't completely agree with what I wrote, so I denied it. I think if you want to include a link, you should ask the hubber first, which I have done and she said yes.

comments do help your score to a degree, but at the same time, you want to be judicious with what you allow on your page. smile

15. kikolani profile image65
      kikolaniposted 14 years ago

Everyone has a right to pick and choose what to approve or deny, since it is an addition to the content they created.

I guess I don't see what is wrong with someone leaving a link to their site.  HubPages gives the option of outside links to be posted on hubs, and I kind of think that if someone takes the time to leave me a valuable comment, then why shouldn't they get to leave a link behind? 

When I say valuable, I don't mean "great hub, thanks" kind of thing, but I mean they say something that shows they actually read the hub and have a opinion about it in one way or the other.

This same kind of thing is up for debate in the realm of blog commenting.  What constitutes a good, valuable comment vs. what comes across as someone just trying to drop their link onto your page?  Should good comments be tossed just because the commenter posted a related link?

16. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 14 years ago

just tossing some thoughts out

comments are helpful to your rankings as they are read as updated content

comments can effect your keyword density (if you bother with such things...i really dont) positively and negatively, as a result comments like "thanks" and "helpful" are usually denied..if you want to say something so simple...use the thumbs up button, or share across your social networks for us with the "share" button

links in comments really are not likely to draw any of your traffic away..once your reader is that far, its not likely they are scrolling back up to click an ad or make a purchase.

at least I never behave in that manner, do you?

but if your commenter makes a habit of leaving lots of spammy links than their site may be seen as spam by search engines...linking to a spam site (bad neighborhoods) is not beneficial to your own rankings

after typing all this i now realize that "kikolani" nailed these points already much more succinctly...just dont have the energy to delete

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol funny.

yeah, you may be right about getting that far and then going back up but if I was very much impressed by all of the comments, it might nudge me to go back up and take a look.
        I don't think there's anything wrong with someone disagreeing , I just don't want their link.

but... I do take your suggestions very seriously SF. thanks for sharing. smile

17. Suspect20 profile image67

Here is a perfect example, it is completely random spam... but doesn't just keeping it on my page increase the chance of someone finding it on google search?  Also, if something is currently marked as spam, is it visible before I delete it?

quote of recent comment on one of my hubs:

Timberland Men's Roll-Top BootsWaterproof leather for comfort, durability and abrasion resistance; ugg bootsDirect-attach, seam-sealed, waterproof construction keep feet dry in any weather ; Padded collar for a comfortable fit lacostes shoesaround the ankle and help keep out debris ;timberland bootsWhen rolled down the leather lining is exposed ; Durable laces with Taslan? fibers and rustproof hardware for long-lasting wear ; Footbed and inside of shoe is completely lined with soft, breathable leather ; Non-marking, rubber lug outsole for traction and durability

18. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 14 years ago

marked as spam = not visible

no, its not likely to help you in any search results.

was left by automated software, a google search would probably show hundreds if not thousands of duplicates of that same comment.

I received that comment on two hubs and one of my external websites!

19. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years ago

I delete all random spams and those that I feel are offensive.  I like constructive crisicm not destructive.

x

20. profile image57
      kakinposted 14 years ago

As long as you are not comfortable with the comment, I don't see why you shouldn't delete. I never delete them unless they go way out of topic or spammy, and I usually leave anything that I don't mind there (doesn't mean I like them, I just don't mind them).

If you are even slightly inclined to delete them, then do so, or you'll be obsessing over if it was appropriate or something like that.

happy new year!

21. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 14 years ago

Another consideration is that the comments become part of the entire hub page. If it's something that can affect your Google ranking, then it definitely must go. I'm not one for censoring either, but I do delete comments that contain back links to promotional sites. I see I'm getting a lot of spam comments lately, and HubPages is good at detecting them and marking them as spam. Then I have a choice to mark it as "not spam" or "delete forever."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)