Ok, I'm going to jump on the bandwagon...

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Urbane Chaos profile image90
    Urbane Chaosposted 14 years ago

...but not too hard.  Seems there's plenty already on it, and I'd hate to be the one who causes the hubs to snap off.  (Sorry, bad pun, but hell, I just couldn't resist.)

So, since I'm assuming that this is the official "newbie doesn't know what the  he's doing" section, I figured I would ask for a bit of critique from all of you amazing, more experienced "hubbers" out there..

I'm looking for three things: 1. Is my article readable and interesting? 2. Are they formatted in a way that prompts further reading? and 3. Are they set up properly for generating income?

...or am I in way over my head here?

I've left three links to the articles that I deem the best out of what I have so far.  I would be most appreciative of anyone who would take the time to give me some advice.

Hub 1: Historical information about Okmulgee, a small town in Oklahoma.  A good majority of people around the Okmulgee area don't know their own history, I figured this would be a good primer.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Historical-Okmu … -1900-1909

Hub 2: Interesting information about a relatively unknown aspect about Tulsa architecture - how wealthy millionaires built tunnels underground during the 1920's.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Downtown-Tulsa- … nd-Tunnels

Hub 2: Just some random dating advice for men.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Dating-Advice-H … interested

Again, I appreciate any advice you can give.. Thanks loads!

Gotta run, got boats to build..

1. bigmikeh profile image70
      bigmikehposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just looked at your dating advice hub and can't really fault it. Good content, well laid out, appropriate ads...would be pleased with it myself.

Two observations, the url is very long

/Dating-Advice-How-to-know-if-shes-interested

Some SEO experts would say it looks spammy with so many words and dashes, and could be marginally penalized by Google. Personally I stay with shorter urls.

And, this is a very competitive topic and it may well be very difficult to rank highly and attract external traffic. If you're writing for pleasure no problem, but if you're looking to earn you need the external, link-clicking visitors.

Keep up the good work - you're not in way over your head!

Urbane Chaosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mr. Big(bad)mike, Thanks for the astute advice.. big_smile

I started to write about relationships, but after writing a couple articles like that, I realized that it would be too competitive to really get far until I have a few links running around..I'll take your advice here and do it mainly for fun - if I get anything else off of it, great.  I'll stay more with the history and oddity topics.

As far as the URL, I honestly have no idea how to make it shorter on here.  Doesn't hubpages automatically create the url? 

Again, thanks for the observations!  It's nice to know that I'm not too out of my league here. big_smile

1. Alessia Amnesia profile image60
          Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HubPages DOES automatically make the URL, but below where you type the title, you can change the URL by backspacing and typing in your own key words smile

2. Alessia Amnesia profile image60
    Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years ago

Hello, Urbane!

I took a look at a few of your hubs. I am very impressed with your writing style. The topics were interesting too. I really enjoy reading about history.

The only two things I would change are:

1. The Titles of Your Hubs: The title is the first thing anyone is going to see so it needs to be eye-catching. At the moment, your titles would only be interesting to someone looking for that specific title. In my experience, the best articles/stories I have read are the ones I find completely by accident. Generalizing your title will help bring more readers in.

2. The URLs: Mike already covered this one so I won't go into any details, but I'm guilty of it too sometimes.

Other than those two tiny things, your writing is excellent and you have definitely gained a new follower! Keep up the good work, I am anticipating many more excellent hubs from you smile

Alessia.. Thanks for the help here!  I'm going to have to give that a try with the next hub I do.  I didn't know that you could change the url, I was just going with whatever the program gave me.  I saw an article about programs that shorten urls, but from everything I read, everyone says to generally stay away from those.

And yeah, I'll have to work on my titles a bit.  I went through Google's keyword tool to help me out, but doing it that way does tend to leave the titles a little dry and drab.  I'll leave them for the time being on existing articles as I'm actually getting traffic to them, but for future hubs, I'll definitely spent a little more time on that - now that I know they don't affect the URL as well. big_smile

And.. I gotta say, I love your name.  Alessia Amnesia - sounds about like me.  Wait, what were we talking about again? big_smile

1. Alessia Amnesia profile image60
        Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol I like your name too.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Nice Hubs, Urbane - written like an old hand! 

My feedback - Big Mike is right. Wipe whatever URL HubPages creates, and try to make a short snappy one using your main keyword.

This article explains how to design your layout to maximise Adsense placement:

http://lissowerbutts.com/make-money-wit … -hubpages/

Finally, Amazon products sell much better, apparently, if you include a short description.  Fewer items that appear to be personally recommended, will do better than a long list of unreviewed ones.

I can see you're going to do well!

Marisa.. Thanks for the amazing advice!  Great article, and it makes a lot of sense.  I've done off-line work before, but all of this blogging and such is a completely different animal - more like a chipmunk on steroids in a field of nuts. hmm

I wrote a new blog today and - big surprise here - changing the url and title was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be.  In addition, I've already got quite a few hits on it from Google - which really surprised me.  I never thought that such a simple that would have such a profound impact.

I never thought about the amazon thing, but it makes a lot of sense.  Thanks for the great tip on that!  I'll have to go back and do some editing. big_smile

Thanks again!  All of you have given amazing advice!  I hope that, eventually, I'll be just as much as a pro as you.. Then I can respectfully earn the title "old hand". big_smile

4. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Urbane, if you want to target Amazon revenue, then Nelle Hoxie is the Amazon queen!

Thanks again for the great advice!

I spent awhile looking at Nelle's and your hubs to see how you've done things, and I'm starting to notice a few trends.. It seems that you two really know what you're doing..  You're right, she did have a lot of great advice on Amazon, even though some of it just isn't my style.  -But, it's given me a few great ideas.  I think I have a lot of work to do! big_smile

Thanks again!  You know you're awesome! big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)