Can someone help clear up an question for me?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (20 posts)
  1. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

When add keywords of phrases to our hubs, would having a general keyword that covers a wide context of subjects have an impact on the more detailed keywords.

For example... If I have a broad keyword that covers 'social issues' (this being the broader keyword) then I put another keyword that is more niche like 'Tony Benn' would that have an impact on seo for the whole article?  Or would it be better to just have 'Tony Benn' for example and avoid broader key terms?

I am trying to work out whether a mix of broad terms and niche terms have an overall impact on the SEO and traffic.

Does broad terms disable successful searches on the niche terms?

2. Has_aWayWithWords profile image64
    Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years ago

Yes having similar terms related to the main term is a huge help, This is the "LSI" factor in SEO. LSI is basically a way of using synonyms and related words to show relevance throughout the article without stuffing the same keyword

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you saying that YES 'broad terms disable successful searches on the niche terms'?

Or are you saying YES it is a best to have a mix of broad and niche terms for traffic?

Much appreciated help in this please x

1. livewithrichard profile image73
        livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A broad term will not disable anything but it will rarely do any good for you if it is a highly competitive term.

1. profile image0

Broad terms seem to be highly competitive, in my experience.  If they cant do any 'good' then they must be a disability to my articles surely?

I am the type of person who needs a rule of thumb to go by.  Would you say that a general rule of thumb would be to harvest only niche keyword terms?

p.s. love the twitter hub of yours... still going over it and over it and over it! x  Ive probably ranked your hub as a really high average time viewer!

Thank you and yes harvest only longtail keywords especially if the keyword is competitive. If there is little competition of the keyword (less than half a million on the SERP's)then go with the broader term.

2. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

1. No, rather irrelevant or almost irrelevant to the results
        2. Sort of yes, but usually not worth the effort

Are you reading Dan's book and trying to make sense of keyword groups? smile

1. profile image0

I seem to chasing long tailed keywords at the moment and getting myself in a twist! lol

I need to be focused and really give Dan's book a read ... of course, sir, I will report back accordingly xxxxx

Sent you an email with some examples.

1. profile image0

wow!  I really appreciate that!  Really... how lovely you are! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

3. Hmrjmr1 profile image68
    Hmrjmr1posted 14 years ago

I'm looking forward to an expert reply on this one - Good Q Shaz! cool

1. profile image0

I dont know why but my questions rarely get answered.  I am not sure if it is a popularity thing or my questions are too difficult.  I do try to do my best x

4. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

To the best of my knowledge LSI is not taken into account by google, let alone others. There was a lot of talks about it, yet nobody have proven it works - well, to the best of my knowledge, that is. smile

In your case adding Tony Benn to social issues prolly won't make any difference, yet using something like "social issues in politics" or "social issues in Britain" will likely help a bit. Of course providing these keywords are worth ranking for.

Overall you usually are much better off getting a couple of extra backlinks, than trying to fine-tune on-page optimization tongue

1. profile image0

yes.. I can see what you mean!  Dan, like you, are knowledgable x

5. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

You can target both a broad keyword term and a keyword phrase but make sure you have the correct density of 3% to 8% for each through out your hub but mostly in your URL, your Title, your Headings, First and last paragraphs, and when you save a picture to upload to your hub, first rename the picture to your keyword or phrase(this will be hidden from public view but the search engines will see it).

Don't confuse keywords with tags. Tags are mostly for internal use but the tags can be picked up by the search engines too if HP created a page for that tag, which it does when there are multiple users of the same tag.

Concentrate your keywords in your hub and don't forget to create a unique summary for each hub with your keywords and phrases. Don't let the system calculate your summary especially if your keyword is at the end of your first paragraph.

6. Has_aWayWithWords profile image64

broad terms will not hurt you in anyway as long as your main keyword is used properly. the best way to use broad terms is to build onto your main keyword.
    example:
    keyword is "social issues"

adding various terms to this like "social issues in government" "social issues in politics" "popular social issues" will help because they keep your keyword in tact while adding terms that may be searched along with the main word.

7. Has_aWayWithWords profile image64

oh and as for LSI, I use LSI to get ideas of how to build an article with multiple synonyms and such, then compare those with search information. I took an article that has about 4 variations of similar words and phrases which each receive around 1500 searches per month while the main focus is on a term that I have no way to get in top results. The variations all are in the top 35 search results in Google while the main area can't be found in the first 300 results

1. profile image0

What do you think of this google wheel then?  I can see why long terms are useful with this functionality.

8. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

no idea, just took the opportunity to look at your pic smile

1. profile image0

*stroking the cock so tenderly*

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)