More Ebay Ads

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

I know there are a lot of posts on this topic, mostly bitching about the dog food ads ( me included) but i wondered what the thinking is behind these ads. Are you planning to replace the adsense? Just looking for another option? Will they pay better? I just ask because I feel they are interfering with the look and earning potential at the moment. If there is a long-term benefit, I just wondered what that might be. And i think a few other people too smile I don't mind putting up with a short term loss if there is a long term gain, but at the moment I don't know what that is likely to be.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Mark -- Our objectives are to 1) keep our authors satisfied, and 2) maximize total revenue.  For many author's #1 and #2 are strongly related, but we do recognize that not everyone is here primarily to make money (and we'd like to keep them satisfied as well).

The other side of the HubPages business is a technology called YieldBuild that automates ad color, position, size, shape and network choice (ie. ebay, adsense, etc) optimization in order to maximize revenue.   This is what powers the ads on HubPages (as well as a growing number of other sites).  In its current state, the publishers (ie. HubPages, and other sites) don't have a ton of control over what ad networks appear -- the yieldbuild engine makes most of the decisions automatically.   Fairly soon, a new release of Yieldbuild will allow us a little finer control which may mean that we can eliminate an ad network like ebay altogether if we felt that was the right thing to do.

Yieldbuild would only place the ebay ads very infrequently if they did not perform well in some situations, but we certainly understand why you wouldn't want the ones that sit right in the middle of your hub and aren't at all related to your content.   As soon as we can do something about those we will.

I mentioned it elsewhere but it bears repeating: we have added an ad level of 'Medium', which is the same as 'High' but does not include the ad inside and near the top of hub.  That option will give authors so inclined the ability to remove that ad position at their discretion.

1. profile image0
        Terri Paajanenposted 16 years agoin reply to this

The point that nobody at Hub seems to want to address is the rather obvious fact that the ads are NOT working properly. With a network like Ebay, there is no reason to display about 5 different and badly chosen ads (dog food, tattoos and job search are the only ones that come to mind).

Nobody is complaining about their location or their existence, but rather the fact that they are clearly broken. We don't necessary want a way to turn them off, we want them to actually work so that they can maximize our earnings.

2. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 16 years ago

Hi Mark -
    I've read the theory that intrusive vertical ads get more clicks, but true or not, I could wish them away, especially when the content is inappropriate. I've had dog-food ads appear in a hub about the holy month of Ramadan. That's about as crass as it gets!

3. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 16 years ago

I have to admit that I'm in the dark about this one.

Are Muslims offended by the existence of dogs, or do they believe they should not be fed by (presumably non-Muslim) people who keep them as pets? I actually Googled this and couldn't find an answer from an actual Muslim. Everyone was just guessing.

I have a hard time believing that Muslims would be offended/insulted by the mere mention of the word "dog" written on a computer screen. Those that would would have to be really fundamentalist, and fundamentalists of all stripes are offended by just about everything.

This is not meant to be inflammatory at all Paraglider - I simply do not understand it.

4. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 16 years ago

Some take it more seriously than others. Dogs are considered unclean and are banned from many areas. Some western ex-pats in the Gulf states do keep dogs, but it's rather frowned upon. I don't think many people would be genuinely offended at the advert, but it's about as appropriate as offering a bacon sandwich during prayers. I long ago stopped complaining about these ebay column ads, but as Mark had started a new thread, I thought I'd add my support.

1. Isabella Snow profile image87
      Isabella Snowposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I support the concern of whether or not the ads are good for hubpages - but I don't think the dog food ad would offend any Muslims. And if it did, they'd be ticked at ebay, not you.

2. livelonger profile image86
      livelongerposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I apologize for my off-topic question but thank you for the explanation. cool

5. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

Thanks Paul,

Like I said, I don't mind a short term loss if there is to be a long term gain. I assume that by leaving the current set up, the system will be able to "learn," and hopefully provide more appropriate, better earning ads at some point in the future. I honestly don't mind what gets advertised - If it sells smile
    If it doesn't sell, it seems pointless to have. But, if hugpages owns yieldbuild, why the lack of control?

6. Isabella Snow profile image87
    Isabella Snowposted 16 years ago

I think they are starting to sort themselves out.

Im still seeing them, but Ive started seeing the regular adsense ads in-between capsules again.

And I noticed a new ebay ad yesterday when viewing a hub - to the right of the profile photo at the top of the page. It looked a lot like the kind youd insert into a hub yourself - it looked a lot better.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)