Toyota's Little Accelerator Problem

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 14 years ago

Looks like Toyota has a serious problem---

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerindex?id=8990979

1. blue dog profile image60
      blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that's a disturbing video.

Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep.

2. SandyMcCollum profile image63
      SandyMcCollumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

WOW, that looked scary! Those poor ppl on the phone that called 911 before they died... I'm telling everyone I know that has one of those rigs.

1. lovelypaper profile image56
        lovelypaperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I heard that 911 call. That was chilling. They had no time to do anything.

2. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Makes me happy that I drive a dinosaur. I mean..a Ford.

3. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Not to say that there is no problem with the cars, it clearly is there, but who in his right mind lets the car accelerate out of control and don't shut it off?

Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

At the end of the video an "expert" advised not to shut the engine off but rather to shift into neutral and apply the brake hard. And shut the engine off once the car has come to a stop.

4. freelanceauthor profile image60
    freelanceauthorposted 14 years ago

that's case to case basis. I don't have any accelerator problem with my Toyota for more than 5 years already.

5. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

The problem is obviously not the floor mats. It is the computer that is at fault here.

6. Christene profile image59
    Christeneposted 14 years ago

Oh wow. sad

I've always loved Toyotas...and drive one now. I'm glad it's an earlier model.

7. Ralph Deeds profile image65

WASHINGTON — In what was described as the largest such move ever by an automaker in the United States, Toyota said today it had halted sales of eight models of its cars and trucks that account for more than half its U.S. sales until it could find a fix for sticking accelerator pedals under a safety recall.

The move, which will cut production for at least a week at seven Toyota plants in North America, comes six days after the Japanese automaker announced the recall of 2.3 million vehicles due to the accelerator problem that it first encountered in 2007.

The models, including its top-selling Camry and Corolla sedans, accounted for 56% of Toyota’s U.S. sales last month. No imported models are covered by the stop sale order.

The decision mars a reputation for high quality that Toyota had relied on to become the world’s largest automaker and claim 17% of the U.S. market.

Between this recall and an earlier one involving floor mats, Toyota has called back 4.8 million vehicles to fix problems that could lead to sudden uncontrolled acceleration. Safety advocates have linked the problems in Toyotas to 19 deaths and more than 2,000 complaints.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100126/B … tories_8pm

8. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

I just saw this story on CNN.

The crawl at the bottom of the screen during the story said "GM to build electric motors in US" and "Ford to hire 1,200 workers in Illinois"

9. Ralph Deeds profile image65

WHAT TO DO IF YOUR ACCELERATOR STICKS

Q: What should I do if my accelerator sticks?

A: Toyota says the vehicle can be controlled by stepping on the brake pedal with both feet and applying steady pressure. Don't pump the brake.

Next, shift into neutral and brake until the car makes a controlled stop. Then turn off the engine and have your vehicle towed to your dealership.

10. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

If you have a female passenger on the front seat, borrowing her leg to add to your two helps a lot lol

11. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

The part in question is NOT manufactured by Toyota.  The same parts are found in Fords and Ford is having trouble in China with Large Trucks using parts from the company.

"Ford shares fell 14 cents, or 1 percent, to $11.41 in early afternoon trading after Ford halted production of some full-sized commercial vehicles in China. The vehicles contain gas pedals built by the same company behind the accelerators in Toyota Motor Corp.'s recall."

So while the Media Jumps on Toyota this is an outsourcing problem.  And Toyota is doing the right thing by halting production until the problem is solved.

Toyota builds 10 Models of Automobiles in American Factories.  Toyota employs 36,000 American Workers Directly and 400,000 indirectly in the United States.

Toyota is not the enemy.

Ford is also not the enemy... but they did product a number of extremely dangerous 15 Passenger Vans that they refused to take off the market.  They also had a disaster with a similar situation where outsourced Tires were exploding and killing people on Ford Explorers.

12. yenajeon profile image71
    yenajeonposted 14 years ago

It is a serious problem for Toyota. They've officially lost their title as being the : safest, smartest car to purchase.

I guess now Hyundai and Honda have their chance!

13. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

Yet owners still rank them above other brands.

This is a serious issue, but it's one issue and it's being addressed.  Had this happened to any other manufacturer they would do the same.

This is a good thing... it brings into light a problem so it can be fixed.

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_c … ut-toyota/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)