Create RSS for article groups

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Susana S profile image94
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

Hi HP, I was laying in bed last night thinking about hubbing (as you do, lol) and I thought it would be really useful if readers could subscribe to an RSS feed for one of my article groups rather than just latest, best or hot, since I'm starting to promote my RSS feeds. I'm writing on very diverse topics, so readers might be interested in 3D technology but not paella pans, lol smile I've considered having other user names but I don't really want to do this.

Just wondered if it was possible/easy to do this?

Thanks,
    Susana

1. Haunty profile image74
      Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Readers can already do this. For instance, if they wanted to subscribe to your Paranormal topic, they can click on paranormal on your profile page and then click the feed icon in the url-bar.
      Here is the paranormal feed:
      http://hubpages.com/author/Susana+S/top … 53/hot?rss

Susana Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh that's really fantastic info Haunty! Now I have the format I can create my own unique RSS feeds. Thank you so much smile

2. rmcrayne profile image90
        rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How do you get to the other categories, not featured on your profile page? 

It would still be nice to have an RSS for your own groupings, vs just the HP categories.  For example, all recipes together, vs now under 3 to 5 HP categories.

3. rmcrayne profile image90

Susana,

My rmcrayne+arthritis RSS did not work.  It's only showing the 2 ice hubs and none of the arthritis hubs.  Maybe because 4 of the hubs are under arthritis topic:  health- aging & longevity- arthritis.  I'm trying rmcrayne+OA-RA tonight. 

My healthcare hubs, rmcrayne+your+health RSS is still only showing 3 of 4 hubs. 

So how do you get to the topic feeds if they are not one of the ones that happens to feature on your profile page?

2. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

add /?rss to any of your tag page links

Create your own unique tags that you use for organizing and than you can always use those feeds

for example, I use "sunforged systems" for my more comprehensive how-tos

http://hubpages.com/tag/sunforged+systems/hot/?rss

1. rmcrayne profile image90

Can you explain a little more.  I don't understand.

3. Susana S profile image94

That's even better sunforged - much appreciated !

4. Susana S profile image94

I'm pretty sure i understand what sunforged is saying, so I'll try, but he may want to correct me if i'm wrong.

If I want to create an rss for my 3d hubs for example, I can create a unique tag to add to each of them such as "susana 3d", then create the rss:

http://hubpages.com/tag/susana+3d/hot/?rss

This means that only hubs that I have tagged "susana 3d" will be in the feed.

Does that make sense?

How do you add a tag to each of them?  Say I wanted to have an RSS for all of my recipe hubs, which fall under different HP groups:  Quick and Easy, Cakes, 4 ingredients or less etc.

5. Susana S profile image94

Go to each recipe hub you have created and add the same distinct tag - one that no one else will use, such as "rmcrayne recipes". (You know where you add tags on the right of the page such as recipes, eating, food, etc?)

Then create the RSS: http://hubpages.com/tag/rmcrayne+recipes/hot/?rss

The RSS will then only show your hubs with the rmcrayne recipes tag.

I've been using a link on the bottom of my 3D tech hubs which says something like, "To find out when I publish my next article on 3D technology subscibe to my feed." I link the words "subscribe to my feed" using the RSS feed url as above.   

I'm going to do this on all my hubs......tomorrow, lol smile

rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

Thanks so much for your patience Susana!  SO how do I create the RSS?? 

This has become somewhat urgent as an arthritis website has now interviewed me, and I would like to be able to give them one RSS with all of my arthritis stuff, rather than 4 to 6 article links. 

Also, can one hub be included in multiple RSS feeds?  For example, my ice/thermals be in an "arthritis" feed, and a "pain relief" feed?

OK, I think I may have this going.  I have 10 (of 13) showing in recipes.  I did 6 for my arthritis RSS and 2 are showing now.  I did another for healthcare stuff and 3 of 4 are showing.

Susana Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No probs smile I've just checked your mcrayne recipes tag and all 14 are showing now - it takes a little while for HP to find the tags and add them to the tag page.

The RSS is simply the url format that sunforged gave us. For the arthritis website, just give them your url with your unique arthritis tag in it, then they should be able to sort out how they display it at their end either as a text link or as a feed.

smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

I tried Sunforged's suggestion on my website but it refused to work - kept telling me it was invalid.  Struggled with it for ages, gave up.  sad

1. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what is your rss link?

http://hubpages.com/tag/belly+dancing/best?rss

http://hubpages.com/tag/belly+dancing/best/?rss

if one format doesnt work then the other should, you could also run the feed through feedburner (www.feedburner.com ) and then monetize it with adsense for feeds

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is the tag I tried to use:

http://hubpages.com/tag/bellydanceoz/hot/?rss

Just tried it again, still won't work.

1. sunforged profile image71
            sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just tried it on one of my test wordpress sites, with the link you provided in an rss capsule and the feed worked.

Maybe, it needed a little time to be generated if the tags were new?

3. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 14 years ago
    4. Susana S profile image94

I really don't know  Rose - sorry sad  Hopefully sunforged will come back and give you an answer.

5. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

I've been checking my profile page a couple times a day.  The topics change, and I have been able to get the key ones I was interested in.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)